Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:57 AM

Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. (54672 Views)

Western Union Flagged Me For Suspicious Transactions / Allen Onyema Indicted For Bank Fraud And Money Laundering In America / Profile Of Allen Onyema (CEO Of Air Peace) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by Omoodua007: 11:56pm On Nov 23, 2019
Akiara:
Illiterate

The 97 that where named are only IGBOs abi? In that list 4 YarI.ba have been busted and the reside in Ilorin, ibadan and Lagos. The rest have been decoded to be mostly YARIB.A yahoo boys using igbo names to commit.

As regards Asia bring it...as I will really want to expose your actions worldwide.

I have only mentioned 1 burst that yielded 97 igbo citizens

All the burst you have mentioned no reach 97
Ipod member

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by Sirjamo: 12:02am On Nov 24, 2019
Akiara:
With all due respect. ....I solemnly ask that you stop commenting on issues you have no idea about.

This isn't Tinubu ,kashamu, akande business.of mudslinging to show your tribalistic orgasm.

This is a legitimate business that flouted the law of a foreign land. The incident is 100000times higher then your normal "ewedu and gbegiri" thinking. Did you see any Mc Oluomo party with aso-ebi in this thread? Abeg paddle you canoe!

grin

Who do you think you are to tell me what to do or what not to do?

What I wrote was the summary of the American Department of justice deposition in their indictment of Mr Onyema, if my post is hurting your eyes, just pluck them out with a jack knife! Nonsense.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by Akiara: 12:12am On Nov 24, 2019
Summary of a deposition you can't even understand the statements therein?

That is how you and your kind constantly rained insults on an Innocent man before the Supreme Court did the needful and granted INNOSON Justice.

You are a tribalistic champion and it's sad that you where mute when issues concerning Tinubu's indictment surfaced. But I want to use this medium to inform you that in 2023 una go see pepper.

Sirjamo:
Who do you think you are to tell me what to do or what not to do?

What I wrote was the summary of the American Department of justice deposition in their indictment of Mr Onyema, if my post is hurting your eyes, just pluck them out with a jack knife! Nonsense.

10 Likes

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by Akiara: 12:21am On Nov 24, 2019
A bust that is still being investigated and your people that have been indicted. .WHICH is WORSE?

Even if they call 200000 names and none has been indicted (concluded investigation with irrefutable evidence) how can that equate to Yoruba serving concurrent Life sentences! !!

This Awolowo free education is really taking its toll on your brain. Try and pay for quality education so that commonsense can be applied to your shallow reasoning.

Omoodua007:

I have only mentioned 1 burst that yielded 97 igbo citizens

All the burst you have mentioned no reach 97
Ipod member

7 Likes

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by Omoodua007: 12:22am On Nov 24, 2019
Akiara:
A bust that is still being investigated and your people that have been indicted. .WHICH is WORSE?

Even if they call 200000 names and none has been indicted (concluded investigation with irrefutable evidence) how can that equate to Yoruba serving concurrent Life sentences! !!

This Awolowo free education is really taking its toll on your brain. Try and pay for quality education so that commonsense can be applied to your shallow reasoning.

Or the 6000 on death roll in Indonesia

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by Akiara: 12:25am On Nov 24, 2019
How about the life sentences in the UK jail system. It's so bad that the UK Government had to start building prisons because your YARIB.A ..egbons don cast their prison like kilode?

Omoodua007:

Or the 6000 on death roll in Indonesia

6 Likes

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by Omoodua007: 12:50am On Nov 24, 2019
Akiara:
How about the life sentences in the UK jail system. It's so bad that the UK Government had to start building prisons because your YARIB.A ..egbons to cast their prison like kilode?

Not up to 97 still try harder
Looooool

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by Nobody: 1:01am On Nov 24, 2019
OruExpress:
My opinion

Whether it's politicians, or businessmen, the ignorance we have of the US system while also wanting to participate in business with the US is dangerous. The United States is a very litigious, harsh country and ignorance of the law does not excuse a person in court. If you're going to engage in business with a country, know the laws, culture and mentality on the ground.

I do believe race and origin (Africa) played a role because almost everyone in the United States does not believe there are wealthy people in Africa. They don't believe it, and they don't want to believe it. So, while all large transactions are flagged in the US, ones from African or Black hands are particularly flagged.

The US has a long, difficult history with racism and when engaging with Americans, Nigerians can no longer be comfortable with fairy tale assumptions that you're dealing with someone that doesn't have a potentially malicious attitude towards you simply for being black and an Africa. We may even add Nigerian as Americans are not learning that Africa has different countries.

Nigerians enter the world assuming all evil exists in Africa and all good comes from non-Africans. Because of this we are ill-equip, mentally, to do business with anyone outside of Africa and we're constantly caught by surprise when they show malice or ill intent. I don't know if there was bad intent in the Onyema situation. As a fact, I do know that this is regular protocol. But I can safely assume that Onyema thought Americans would be happy to see him spend money in their country, as most naive Nigerians world.

Word of advice. The world is a world in competition. You cannot operate at a global level, assuming that the only people that don't want you to do well are the people in your village.

Do not forget that Jaja of Opobo was detroned, arrested, exiled, and poisoned by the British, for trying to buy British boats.

I twale for you.
You've spoken most intelligently.

1 Like

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by Akiara: 1:03am On Nov 24, 2019
Illiterate

A conviction/indictment is more terrible than an investigation. Seriously you need education. ..oluwole certificate doesn't just cut it..

Omoodua007:

Not up to 97 still try harder
Looooool

7 Likes

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by Nobody: 1:05am On Nov 24, 2019
Akiara:
With all due respect. ....I solemnly ask that you stop commenting on issues you have no idea about.

This isn't Tinubu ,kashamu, akande business.of mudslinging to show your tribalistic orgasm.

This is a legitimate business that flouted the law of a foreign land. The incident is 100000times higher then your normal "ewedu and gbegiri" thinking. Did you see any Mc Oluomo party with aso-ebi in this thread? Abeg paddle you canoe!

grin

I really couldn't have said this better. But mehn, you savage ooo. Last two sentences

5 Likes

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by Nobody: 1:07am On Nov 24, 2019
Wiseandtrue:

Who so they think they are

Going public without thorough investigation is a total dent to his image!!!

Onyema should sue them for defamation of character ASAP
Ah, they've been investigating for years fa.
If they can scrutinize Trump's account - their own President, they will scrutinize anybody who seems shady.

This is a legal matter.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by Omoodua007: 1:15am On Nov 24, 2019
Akiara:
Illiterate

A conviction/indictment is more terrible than an investigation. Seriously you need education. ..oluwole certificate doesn't just cut it..

Not up to 97

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by Beautyaddy: 1:17am On Nov 24, 2019
hammerD:

THE WHITE MAN HAVE RESERVED CERTAIN AREAS OF OUR ECONOMY FOR THEMSELVES TO RETRIEVE THEIR DOLLARS.

SOMETHING DEY CANNOT TRY WITH THE CHINESE.

AVIATION TRANSPORTATION IS ONE OF THOSE AREAS.

UNFORTUNATELY FOR THEM, AIR PEACE HAVE BEEN A SUCCESS STORY.

EVEN GOING TO FLY NIGERIANS FROM SOUTH AFRICA WITH PRIDE.

THIS IS WAT BLACKS ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO DO.

BUT GOD WILL PUNISH THE WHITE MAN.

All Noise!

Then Nigeria Should Stop Spending the US Dollars.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by Beautyaddy: 1:20am On Nov 24, 2019
hammerD:
EVER WONDERED Y, NIGERIA REFINERIES ARE NON-OPERATIONAL?

EVER WONEDERED Y, WE HAVE NO OPERATIONAL STEEL PRODUCTION FACILITIES?

WE ARE BUSY PAYING TO KEEP SOME WHITE MEN IN THE JOB BY NOT MAKING THESE THINGS BUT IMPORTING THEM.

THIS IS Y OUR ECONOMY IS STAGNANT.

ONCE THIS BUHARI GENERATION ARE GONE, ALOT OF THINGS ARE GOING WITH THEM.

JUST LIKE THE CHINESE, WE WILL MAKE SUCH WE PLUG ALL THE HOLES IN OUR ECONOMY.

Nice Wishful Thinking....and What Decade Will That Happen?

5 Likes

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by OruExpress: 2:12am On Nov 24, 2019
Beautyaddy:

All Noise!

Then Nigeria Should Stop Spending the US Dollars.

every country that has tried to stop spending US dollars, has been invaded

3 Likes

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by Beautyaddy: 2:15am On Nov 24, 2019
OruExpress:

every country that has tried to stop spending US dollars, has been invaded

I don't really believe that.

So you think if China or Russia decides to stop spending in US dollars globally they'll be invaded

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by Nobody: 2:23am On Nov 24, 2019
The court of public opinion does not play in the US.

especially not in financial crimes. financial crimes are cut and dried.

even in any business organization theft, embezzlement, forgery is easy to track because the records are there . this is partially why ASUU, imho is screaming about IPPIS. if i have been forging receipts, or invoices for a service over the years, the information is in a paper trail and can be retrieved in the course of an investigation. if i have been under declaring company revenue, the data can be reconciled.

there is no sentiment in investigation of financial crimes. it is audit/paper trail

the support of simpleton children is not going to help onyemas case.

The support of persecution complex kinsman will not help the case

Misguided nationalism will not help his case.

multiple nigerian businesses transact in the US every day. Nigerians order servers, enterprise software licenses, drilling equipment, vehicles, etc. they are not singled out or harassed

I have to wonder what he expects to achieve with this paid hack job.he wants is all to believe that this is just a simple misunderstanding by a Nigerian business that did not fully understand how to transact business in the US?

I am fairly sure we have an extradition treaty with the US.

If onyeama is not a criminal, we will not have to use it

This is the DOJ.this is not a state case.this is as they say, the feds. FBI, US marshals, ATF DEA. Professional lawmen. When you enter federal crime time, it's a serious matter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indictment

An indictment (/ɪnˈdaɪtmənt/[1] in-DYT-mənt) is a criminal accusation that a person has committed a crime. In jurisdictions that use the concept of felonies, the most serious criminal offence is a felony; jurisdictions that do not use the felonies concept often use that of an indictable offence, an offence that requires an indictment.

United States

The Fifth Amendment of the United States Constitution states in part: "No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia when in actual service in time of War or public danger". The requirement of an indictment has not been incorporated against the states; therefore, even though the federal government uses grand juries and indictments, not all U.S. states do.[11]

In many—if not all—U.S. jurisdictions that use grand juries, prosecutors often have a choice between seeking an indictment from a grand jury and filing a charging document directly with the court. Such a document is usually called an information, accusation, or complaint, to distinguish it from a grand-jury indictment. To protect the suspect's due-process rights in felony cases (where the suspect's interest in liberty is at stake), there is usually a preliminary hearing, at which a judge determines whether there was probable cause to arrest the suspect who is in custody. If the judge finds such probable cause, he or she binds, or holds over, the suspect for trial.

The substance of an indictment or other charging instrument is usually the same, regardless of the jurisdiction: it consists of a short and plain statement of where, when, and how the defendant allegedly committed the offense. Each offense usually is set out in a separate count. Indictments for complex crimes, particularly those involving conspiracy or numerous counts, may run to hundreds of pages. In other cases, however, an indictment for a crime as serious as murder, may consist of a single sheet of paper.

Indictable offenses are normally tried by jury, unless the accused waives the right to a jury trial. Even though the Sixth Amendment of the US Constitution mandates the right to a jury trial in any criminal prosecution, the vast majority of criminal cases in the US are resolved by the plea-bargaining process.

this is not an invitation for a chat. it is an indictment for a federal crime. A Nigerian businessman running a local airline that has zero global impact is not a threat to the us or the west in anything but the minds of some ill informed louts.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by googi: 3:17am On Nov 24, 2019
Boy, there is money in Nigeria.

This Allen is just one of those ploughing money out of Nigeria.

Imagine Dangote, Adenuga, Innoson, Oil companies, Abacha dead body, etc.

No wonder they call us the world capital of abject poverty.

4 Likes

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by amamahdaniel(m): 3:19am On Nov 24, 2019
Nairaland please vote for me as The Best AHOC OF THE YEAR.
My name is AMAMAH. FOLLOW THE LINK AND VOTE FOR ME. GOD will do something GREAT in ur life before this year end. AMEN.

https://headply.com/wd2ba/
Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by OruExpress: 4:25am On Nov 24, 2019
Beautyaddy:

I don't really believe that.

So you think if China or Russia decides to stop spending in US dollars globally they'll be invaded

Yes.The US military is 7 times more powerful than the next 20 militaries combine. Though neither has any reason to stop.
Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by mu2sa2: 4:35am On Nov 24, 2019
OruExpress:

You are very right. The way they see it, someone that owns an airline can move goods and weapons over boarders and thus has real power. You can also fly over zones they have blocked off for surveillance due to their illegal activity. Boats and airplanes are equalizers

What they will do next is pressure the Nigerian Federal Government to destroy Air Peace internally. In 3 years someone, on this board will ask 'why doesn't nigeria have an airline', and blame it on 'black brain' and 'bad government'.

This is why we study history...though most of Nigeria has chosen not to.
"This is why we study history...though most of Nigeria has chosen not to." This is the aspect of your post that saddens me. Maybe the empty heads that struck off history from o'level syllabus were planted by the enemy. I am just wondering how a normal person who loves his country will sit down and say "don't study your history" - unbelievable, but it did happen!

8 Likes

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by BuddhaPalm(m): 4:55am On Nov 24, 2019
OruExpress:

Yes.The US military is 7 times more powerful than the next 20 militaries combine. Though neither has any reason to stop.

On paper...

1 Like

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by ICAMETOWIN(m): 5:16am On Nov 24, 2019
mu2sa2:
"This is why we study history...though most of Nigeria has chosen not to." This is the aspect of your post that saddens me. Maybe the empty heads that struck off history from o'level syllabus were planted by the enemy. I am just wondering how a normal person who loves his country will sit down and say "don't study your history" - unbelievable, but it did happen!
its unbelievable bro, i mean who does that.?

3 Likes

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by OruExpress: 5:38am On Nov 24, 2019
BuddhaPalm:

On paper...

lol, I have nothing to prove either way, but the facts are available.
Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by churchmind: 5:49am On Nov 24, 2019
Omoodua007:
Fake news
They are after the criminal cause he presented fake documents
na your type were dey like sidon for back of class,is like u n education r enemy.

5 Likes

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by megama: 5:51am On Nov 24, 2019
OruExpress:
I'll make it short.

CEO Allen Onyema (Air Peace) was flagged because in the United States, you don't make large purchases without forewarning authorities. The US economy and regulatory system is designed to flag and investigate anyone who makes a large single purchase, especially if it's not purchased with credit by the US creditor. Their reasoning is that

1. Large purchases can destabilize the economy and add an element of unpredictability to commercial markets. If Boeing makes 1 billion dollars from you 1 year, and doesn't make that 1 billion the next year, uninformed shareholder will panic and think the company is declining. Shareholders are interested in measured, incremental growth, and if a purchase is too large and done without warning, it will cause panic. You are also interrupting the companies planning and projections. While every business wants to make money, a corporation is more concerned with long term survival and controlling it's resources than gain. The wrong type of gain will hurt your ability to borrow. It's important to remember that before large purchases are made between corporations, they usually give each other months, or a year forewarning, and notify banks + authorities.

2. In the US, the only people that make large purchases without credit or lawyers, are criminals. This is what the US regulatory agencies believe. If you spend more than $10,000 without borrowing, the Internal Revenue Services will be notified. They will then inquire into your earnings, your spending habits, and your source of income. If these things don't match up with the ability to make a $10,000 purchase, you will be questioned and audited. During the audit, you will have to prove how you were able to spend that type of money in one go. This applies to any and everyone. Anyone that's able to spend more then $10,000 at once almost always hires lawyers and Financial Advisers certified by an accredited board. This 'financial team' answers audits and fights authorities and investigations while you spend you money as you wish.

If you look at every major company in the US, they have entire offices and buildings dedicated to staffing lawyers and auditors because they're under investigation 24/7. Even small businesses (business that make under $1 million USD annually) have advisors and lawyers dedicated to making it possible for them to make necessary large purposes.

What is ideal in the US system is if you put all of your cash in their banks and borrow from those banks when you need money, against the amount you have. This is the #1 way to keep auditors, the IRS, and various investigative departments away from you because you're no longer a threat to the economy, and there's a paper trail on your spending.

Below, I have a risk of 'IRS Red Flags'. These are the things that the US Federal Government look out for, and when seen, will investigate with the proper authorities. Sometimes these investigations involve more than one agency and this can include the Department of Revenue, Department of Justice, and Department of Commerce.

there is this one saying our people use to say "whatever misharp a man has always start from his corehouse "

1 Like

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by InvertedHammer: 5:51am On Nov 24, 2019
/
I love how people in Nigeria or other ignorant Nigerians are chiming in without understanding the factors at play.
If I wire anything above $3000 from my domiciliary account, the bank must notify IRS about the transaction.
If I carry more than $10,000 through any US airport without declaring it. The fund will be seized by the authorities if found and I will be charged with money laundering without all the sensation that follows Onyema's ordeal. They will want to know the source of the fund.

Onyema has to show the source of the fund and possibly be penalized if the paperworks were not correctly filled out. An African (especially Nigerian) moving such funds around will definitely attract scrutiny. They will find away to throw in tax evasion too in the mix. The sad thjng is that after all the gragra, the prosecutor may file nolle prosequi but the damage is done already.

/

13 Likes

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by muykem: 5:51am On Nov 24, 2019
Large purchases will be reported to appropriate authorities by the manufacturing company and not Customer. Buying with credit is being discretely without tarnish image of accused. Onyema case is more than that.

4 Likes

Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by SenecaTheYonger: 5:56am On Nov 24, 2019
OruExpress:
My opinion

Whether it's politicians, or businessmen, the ignorance we have of the US system while also wanting to participate in business with the US is dangerous. The United States is a very litigious, harsh country and ignorance of the law does not excuse a person in court. If you're going to engage in business with a country, know the laws, culture and mentality on the ground.

I do believe race and origin (Africa) played a role because almost everyone in the United States does not believe there are wealthy people in Africa. They don't believe it, and they don't want to believe it. So, while all large transactions are flagged in the US, ones from African or Black hands are particularly flagged.

The US has a long, difficult history with racism and when engaging with Americans, Nigerians can no longer be comfortable with fairy tale assumptions that you're dealing with someone that doesn't have a potentially malicious attitude towards you simply for being black and an Africa. We may even add Nigerian as Americans are not learning that Africa has different countries.

Nigerians enter the world assuming all evil exists in Africa and all good comes from non-Africans. Because of this we are ill-equip, mentally, to do business with anyone outside of Africa and we're constantly caught by surprise when they show malice or ill intent. I don't know if there was bad intent in the Onyema situation. As a fact, I do know that this is regular protocol. But I can safely assume that Onyema thought Americans would be happy to see him spend money in their country, as most naive Nigerians world.

Word of advice. The world is a world in competition. You cannot operate at a global level, assuming that the only people that don't want you to do well are the people in your village.

Do not forget that Jaja of Opobo was detroned, arrested, exiled, and poisoned by the British, for trying to buy British boats.

Started with fake news and ended with fake news.

Anyways I laughed so harf where you said that Nigerians are shocked when it turns out that Americans don't want to do biz with us. Like LMAO
Re: Why Onyema Was Flagged By The US - Advice From A US Based Business Man. by ZUBY77(m): 5:56am On Nov 24, 2019
OruExpress:

Bill Gates: [img]https://image.shutterstock.com/image-photo/washington-dc-usa-march-3-260nw-1366582616.jpg[img]
Warren Buffet:

If you don't recognize the third picture, it's Henry Ford being called to Congress during an audit of his business.

The US system is working the way the US system works. While those in Nigeria are confused and believe this is a DSS/EFCC style 'hunt', the US is very careful about who has money, and how they're spending it in the country, and everyone operating at the billion dollar level is at constant battle with the Congress, Senate, and Internal Revenue Service.

Most businesses in the US opt to keep the powers off their back by funding the campaigns of various politicians, buying ads with major media houses, and funneling earnings overseas or into charity.

This is why Bill Gates is in Africa all the time trying to give you vaccines lol. I hope you're open to learning something new.

You are great. Leave the blockheads to die in their ignorance

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

See Today's Naira Exchange Rate Against The Dollar, Pounds And Euro / Picture Of Bill Gates And Dangote At A Table / Naira Finally Crashes To 260 Per Dollar, Its Lowest In 42 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.