Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,556 members, 7,809,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:17 PM

$44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel (35803 Views)

Betta Edu: Our MD/CEO Was Not Arrested By EFCC - Jaiz Bank / EFCC Quizzes Allen Onyema Over $44.9 Million Wire Deals / Innocent Chukwuma's Wife: "I Was Slapped By EFCC Official" (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by OnePunch: 11:42am On Nov 24, 2019
Africans and tribalism. We don't need racism, we'll eventually kill each other.

Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by idonhammer: 11:43am On Nov 24, 2019
Ok,ganduje tinubu and buhari is our national assets...Are u happy now? Dead brain modafuka.

BabaRamota1980:

Abeg stay on topic. This is Onyema thread.

How is onyema a national asset? You are so rural you dont even know what is meant when you hear the word national asset.

Do you even know how national assets are quantified?
Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by Samuels90: 11:46am On Nov 24, 2019
You all just typing and fighting when the US already know what to do, your opinions here don't count... Let these agencies here and abroad do their jobs, while we wait as things Unfold. We all like Allen, we still hope he comes out clean... Let him and his finance officer stand for themselves.. Other Nationals are here reading these things you type, say things like civilized and sane minds, Just stop this tribal fighting!

8 Likes

Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by orion7: 11:51am On Nov 24, 2019
Ezewuzie01:
If he doesn't go to America willingly to clear his name, he is putting the airline in danger because America will place a global sanction on Air Peace. That means no company will be permitted to supply them parts/components, maintenance services for their aircrafts, no bank/financial institution will want to grant them credit and they may even be prevented from flying into other countries else their planes be grounded and seized. America has a global reach. Allen Onyema can't escape this. One way or the other, either he or his airline is going down.
lol.

america may seize assets and ban him.

nothing more. stop yapping
Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by homirefacuny(m): 11:51am On Nov 24, 2019
1x2x3:

I've seen many people arguing unnecessarily without understanding what the US is after, you nailed it. They have laid down policies there that can't be manipulated but at the same Russia or China or even USA won't throw out their own for cases like this rather they will forfeit the funds outside their territory but in Nigeria we have to throwout ours. I don't see Russia or China listening to USA blabbing even when their citizen who is arguably an asset does such.

I agree we are too quick to nail our own here. This all boils down to the fact that the "Nigerian entity" is a big scam. In fact one of the greatest scam of humanity! There is no cohesion at all. Its sad.

On the flip side of it, I am sure the DOJ or the USA government must have notified Onyema of their findings prior to that public announcement. As it is now, they are headed to the court and there is nothing like plea bargain anymore. I feel for him but then law is law. And there ignorance is not a pardonable offence especially in the west.

2 Likes

Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by Angelfrost(m): 11:51am On Nov 24, 2019
danot1030:
We will soon be hearing "Buhari is after Igbos business men, Buhari does not like Igbos now"

I have been hearing that trash for ages now...

How can it be so hard for a set of people to speak out against crime among themselves??! Pathetic!!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by isaacsegun(m): 11:52am On Nov 24, 2019
Maduawuchukwu:

Lol. Why have you not urged the EFCC to go after your god Tinubu who was found shipping Bullion vans into his house on the eve of elections?

but remember a Yoruba man has petition efcc against Tinubu concerning the bullion van? That can not be said of Igbo, you guyz will rather protect/support criminal in the name of tribe.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by jaxxy(m): 11:52am On Nov 24, 2019
Flier:
Its just the beginning,he will end up losing large chunk of his wealth and Air peace will colapse if he refuse to resign within the next few days

U need to establish he did anything he’s been accused of first. Media trail and sensationalism is smtmes hot air. He is more than ready to defend himself so let’s see. Even if he breached sm regulation unknowingly it may not be with criminal intent or a Criminal offense bt for him to regularize smtngs.

There are many scenarios this cud play out.
Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by Okoroawusa: 11:54am On Nov 24, 2019
BabaRamota1980:

This is a big commitment. Dont take a bet against FBI for anybody.

As we speak now they have opened an investigation file today on someone somewhere. They will spend next 12months, or even longer, building case after case of evidence and testing their theories on that target. They will also find other accomplices of the person.

The first thing they do is grab the accomplice and threaten heavy sentence. Then they enter negotiation for shorter sentence to wear wire on the accomplice. They also get a snitch to act as insider,unknown to the accomplice that while he is surveiling the target, another person inside has been recruited to surveil him.

24mis from now they will go get an indictment and warrant to arrest the target. Of course everyone pleads innocent until proven guilty.

FBI know how to prove beyond reasonable doubt. They dont get indictment unless their target has already been trapped from outside and from inside.

On this case they are going to use Ejiro against Onyema, and then turn around use onyema against Ejiro.

Becareful putting your entire tribe on a bet for onyema's innocence because people like me will bash your entire tribe if your bet looses.
You totally miss the point of my post
Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by Shaprara: 11:55am On Nov 24, 2019
So EFCC is saying they don’t know about this all this while. Funny

I still think that this will lead to the outing of some powerful people in Nigeria and the USA.

Ebullience:
Yusuf Alli, Managing Editor, Northern Operation and Kelvin Osa-Okunbor

THE Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has waded into the $44.9 million wire fraud and money laundering case against Air Peace Chief Executive Allen Ifechukwu Athan Onyema hours after his indictment in the United States (US).

The EFCC, it was learnt, on Saturday raised what sources referred to as a ”special panel” to investigate the matter shortly after receiving the charges against Onyema.

Onyema was indicted along with his finance officer, Ejiroghene Eghagha, by the US Department of Justice (DoJ).

They were accused of “moving more than $20 million from Nigeria through some United States banks in a scheme involving false documents based on the purchase of airplanes.”

Eghagha, who is the international airline’s Chief of Administration and Finance, was also accused of bank fraud and committing aggravated identity theft in connection with the scheme.

The EFCC is also investigating two Nigerian banks for allegedly facilitating the transfer of the money to the US and processing letters of credit to buy planes for Air Peace.

The probe, The Nation gathered, would cover the activities and inflows into the accounts of four non-governmental organisations (NGOs) /non-profit groups sponsored by Onyema.

They are Foundation for Ethnic Harmony, International Centre for Non-Violence and Peace Development, All-Time Peace Media Communications Limited and Every Child Limited.

Onyema has since denied the allegations against him and stated his readiness to travel to the US to defend himself.

His lawyer, A. O. Alegeh, said in a statement in Lagos, at the weekend, that Onyema “strongly denies and will vigorously defend himself against the allegations made against him by the US Attorney in Atlanta, Georgia in relation to the purchase of aircraft, aircraft spares and aircraft maintenance”.

The US government is seeking the forfeiture of $14,246,536.6million left in some accounts linked with Onyema in the US and Canada.

The funds comprise $4,017,852.51 in JP Morgan Chase Bank in the US and $4,593,842.05 and $5,634,842.04 in the Bank of Montreal, Canada.

One of the legs of the EFCC probe is to ascertain whether Onyema is fronting for some politically exposed persons in the country.

A source said: “Upon the receipt of the charges, the EFCC chairman raised a team to probe the allegations against Onyema Eghagha, who were prominently mentioned in the indictment charges by the United States Government.

“The EFCC team is working on what I may term the ‘Nigerian components’ of the indictment including suspicious huge transfer of funds abroad, alleged abuse of letters of credit and money laundering.

“In fact, the Acting EFCC Chairman, Mr. Ibrahim Magu directed the team members to work round the clock at the weekend because it is a case we must work on with speed.

“We are also interested in the roles played by two banks in the country including one that has been on our radar for a while for money laundering. This same bank was implicated in the $115million poll bribery scam in 2015 for which former Minister of Petroleum Resources Diezani Alison-Madueke is wanted for trial.

“We need to act because in the indictment, the US indicated its plans to freeze some funds linked with Onyema in some accounts within and outside its jurisdiction. It is standard practice to have collaboration with sister organisations all over the world. We cannot wait till the last minutes before playing our roles.”

Responding to a question, the source added: “Certainly, our crack team will conduct a comprehensive investigation into the activities and remittances into the accounts of the four non-governmental organisations (NGOs) /non-profit groups of Onyema.

“Our immediate suspicion is that these four groups are likely to be tools for money laundering. The Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), tax bodies and other agencies will assist on the status of these organisations.

“We have directed our detectives to ascertain or otherwise if Onyema is allegedly serving as a front for some politically exposed persons (PEPs).”

The source added: “The EFCC may also investigate other persons or groups that have assisted Onyema in one way or the other on the allegations against him. The indictment spoke of known and unknown persons.”

In the charges against Onyema and Eghagha, they were accused of using the money to buy luxury cars, including a Rolls Royce for $180,000 and Mercedes for $88, 500 among others.

Onyema was also said to have spent thousands of dollars on personal purchases at Atlanta Georgia locations of Prada, Neiman Marcus, Macy’s, Louis Vuitton, the Apple Store and various airlines.

It was alleged that the total amount Onyema spent on aircraft acquisition for his airline exceeded $3million.

Onyema: I’m not dubious

Airline magnate Alex Onyema yesterday said it is not in his character to be dubious, describing the fraud allegations against him as false.

In a statement in Lagos, he said: ”Thank you for reaching out to me. I can confirm to you that all allegations are false and are in no way in line with my character as a person and as a business man whose only aim has been to build Nigeria and improve wellbeing.

”As the press statement clearly stated, these are indictment that only contains charges. I am innocent of all charges and the US government will find NO dirt on me because I have never conducted business with any illegalities.

”Be rest assured that I also have my lawyers on this and these mere allegations will be refuted. I never laundered money in my life, neither have I committed bank fraud anywhere in the world. Every Kobo I transferred to the US for aircraft purchase went through the Central Bank of Nigeria Letter of Credit regime and all were used for the same purpose. The American companies that received the funds are still in business. I never took a penny from any US bank or Nigerian bank. I am willing to defend my innocence in the US courts”.

Allegations unfounded, strange, says lawyer

Embattled Air Peace Chief Alex Onyema yesterday denied the fraud allegations against him.

His lawyer, A. O. Alegeh in a statement in Lagos said: “On behalf of Allen Onyema, we hereby state that he strongly denies and will vigorously defend himself against the allegations made against him by the US Attorney in Atlanta, Georgia in relation to purchase of Aircraft, Aircraft spares and Aircraft maintenance. None of the allegations involve any third party funds but relate to his funds utilised in the Airline business. There is no allegation that any Bank [in the United States, Nigeria or elsewhere], company or individual suffered any financial or any loss whatsoever.

“The allegations are unfounded and strange to him. Allen Onyema has a track record built on honesty and integrity and will take all necessary steps to clear his good name and hard earned reputation. He looks forward to an opportunity to rebut these allegations in Court.”

Airline’s finance chief refutes allegations

Air Peace Executive Director Mrs. Ejiro Eghagha yesterday denied allegations of money laundering levelled against her in the United States.

In a statement, her lawyer A.O Alegeh said: “On behalf of Mrs Ejiro Eghagha, we hereby state that she strongly denies and will vigorously defend herself against the allegations made against her by the US Attorney in Atlanta, Georgia in relation to purchase of aircraft, aircraft spares and aircraft maintenance for her employer.

None of the allegations involve any third party funds but relate to funds belonging to her employer and utilized in the airline business. There is no allegation that any Bank [in the United States, Nigeria or elsewhere], Company or individual suffered any financial or any loss whatsoever.

“The allegations are unfounded and strange to her. Mrs Ejiro Eghagha has built her reputation as a seasoned, honest and responsible person and will take all necessary steps to clear her good name and hard earned reputation. She looks forward to an opportunity to rebut these allegations in Court.”

https://thenationonlineng.net/44-9m-wire-deals-efcc-special-panel-to-investigate-air-peace-boss-onyema/

1 Like

Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by BluntBoy(m): 11:55am On Nov 24, 2019
1x2x3:

I've seen many people arguing unnecessarily without understanding what the US is after, you nailed it. They have laid down policies there that can't be manipulated but at the same Russia or China or even USA won't throw out their own for cases like this rather they will forfeit the funds outside their territory but in Nigeria we have to throwout ours. I don't see Russia or China listening to USA blabbing even when their citizen who is arguably an asset does such.

The United States has extradition treaties with Nigeria. She does not have with China and Russia so you cannot just compare sections of foreign relations that are different.

2 Likes

Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by Born2Breed(f): 11:55am On Nov 24, 2019
Investigate Tinubu's bullion van that we all saw in our very koro-koro, you said until you get a petition.

Did FBI under the Department of Justice petition EFCC?

2 Likes

Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by Elvis2kay: 11:56am On Nov 24, 2019
This is a big blow for Airpeace..
Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by Northeastern: 11:57am On Nov 24, 2019
EgunMogaji2:
“We are also interested in the roles played by two banks in the country including one that has been on our radar for a while for money laundering. This same bank was implicated in the $115million poll bribery scam in 2015 for which former Minister of Petroleum Resources Diezani Alison-Madueke is wanted for trial.

Please which bank is under investigation?

Thanks.

Fidelity bank, the ceo worked with Allison Madueke in that transaction.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN0Y10PB

5 Likes

Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by homirefacuny(m): 11:57am On Nov 24, 2019
Tobichimezie:
I love how this yoruba idiots are the most emotionally invested (definitely more than any ethnic group in Nigeria) over these AirPeace case, suddenly they've turned into social media justice warriors overnight - they are all over various media platforms as the Jurors, prosecutors, and Judges over Onyema even before any credible investigation has extensively been conducted into the case to certify him guilty as charged. This yoruba abi yaribanzas are the most pathetic losers ever, dem never finish to dey wash, much less hide the dirty linens and underwear of their celebrated criminal leaders like Tinubu, Kashamu etc na for AirPeace matter dem no knack head for wall, talk of a sad case of mentally fractured bitter losers grin grin grin. After all the noise, the airline will never GO DOWN, las las matter go fizzle out in a weeks time and AirPeace will keep on growing in brand, deals, and travel airtime... Make I even check my flight itinerary for my Naija trip this Xmas with AirPeace grin cheesy

grin grin

Clown!!
I wish it was EFCC matter tho... This won't just go down like you opined unless Allen is very clean! The DOJ knows the implications of false allegations. In all, I wish him the very best. Its sad that people are tribalizing this issue.

4 Likes

Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by morenikeji77: 11:59am On Nov 24, 2019
News will spring up n people will start saying different things, don't forget that no one is guilty until proven guilty by the court of law. And I also wonder y some like 2 rejoice in d fall of others, what's ur gain. If he is guilty let him face d consequences but if not let God vindicate him. And for people who are complaining about a sitting governor 2 be charged 2 court, it is constitutionally impossible because all sitting governors have immunity until they vacate the sit

1 Like

Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by pweetychyka(f): 12:01pm On Nov 24, 2019
Flier:
What is the difference between him and yahoo boys? He is the brightest star we have in Nigeria at the moment and i really like him but truth must be told Nigerians are very corrupt esp the rich

He uses his own wealth to create massive employment thereby reducing the unemployment rate in the country.
Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by okwusdidi: 12:02pm On Nov 24, 2019
Nawaoh most of the comments i read on Nairaland is about tribe.

I hope we don't have another Rwanda here in Nigeria.

Imagine a prominent Nigerian is being accused by the US for fraud.Rather than us to render our support to him since he has pleaded not guilty we are here discussing tribe.

And tomorrow we would be wondering why most prominent Nigerians are not sending their private jets to help Nigerians stranded abroad e.t.c
Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by vicben27(m): 12:04pm On Nov 24, 2019
my country is a very useless country when you try to help the masses they send Efcc to you! when you speak the truth they send Efcc after you. useless government this country will never move for if all this greedy politicians don't die.
Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by victorazyvictor(m): 12:09pm On Nov 24, 2019
danot1030:
We will soon be hearing "Buhari is after Igbos business men, Buhari does not like Igbos now"

Dangote is saint grin
Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by redsun(m): 12:12pm On Nov 24, 2019
I hope this man is not a frontman for patience Jonathan. However,I think it will be a commendable thing if he can maintain an indigenous and a competitive airline that meets international standard and equitable budget for the indignous customers. The airline's selfless intervention in bringing back stranded Nigerians in south Africa patriotic and an indication of a company with positive visions.

All he has to do is declare his source of enormous wealth,something thieves like thienubu should be compelled to do too. Nigeria is a gangster and a lawless paradise and the politicians are the kingpins.

2 Likes

Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by Vcblinks(m): 12:14pm On Nov 24, 2019
Almajiri1:

Americans will always put their country and businessmen first. Why can't we? This guy is a national asset that must be protected at all cost?
can the pit latrine protect thier own.foolish country.
Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by Teespice(f): 12:20pm On Nov 24, 2019
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission should sit this one out and miss me with this BS.

All the while, did they act on the petitions against Tinubu and other stupid cronies of this Government. It is this one they are baring fangs like aggrieved snakes.

If the CEO of Air Peace is found wanting, let him face the full wrath of the law. let him be punished accordingly if found guilty.

my annoyance is the way this EFCC aka toothless bulldogs are busy making a spectacle of this. Did the agencies in the US make noise about investigation and panel. was it not after the investigation was concluded that we all know what's up.

Our agencies can do better abeg.
Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by dallyemmy: 12:23pm On Nov 24, 2019
EFCC wey no see bullion vans? Make den park somewhere make we see front boo...
Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by 1x2x3: 12:24pm On Nov 24, 2019
BluntBoy:

The United States has extradition treaties with Nigeria. She does not have with China and Russia so you cannot just compare sections of foreign relations that are different.

So why do you think they don't have with those countries?
Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by degamemaster(m): 12:26pm On Nov 24, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

I commend EFCC for swiftly getting involved with this just hours after it broke in the spirit of Espirit De Corps.
I also admire their determination to carry out a thorough full body scan on him because not only Air Peace is the subject of their investigation, but his other NGOs too.

However, what I don't admire is their lack of interest in other very obvious cases; like the one in Government House, Kano and the one at Bourdillon Drive, Lagos.

The bigger picture is getting clearer considering them talking about a bank that has always been on their radar.

I stand with Allen Onyema.
Those who are waiting for him to resign so that the Airline will be at the mercy of the Board of Directors mostly made of up their brothers will wait in vain.

NwaAmaikpe stands with AirPeace
My prayers go out to the great industrious maverick; Jim Ovia.

We shall prevail.

The handwriting has never been clearer.
The affliction of Savannah Bank and Slok Airlines shall not rise again.
It is not a crime to be first amongst unequals.

You're comment is the only one that shows true sense and unbiasedness. There are folks that just want the downfall of AirPeace so that theirs will keep glowing. No, it can't happen. They have done so many damages on Igbo businesses and businessmen. The Ibetos, Savannah bank, slok Airlines, Innoson on their mind too. God of the Igbos will shame them all.

1 Like

Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by kwemkizito(m): 12:27pm On Nov 24, 2019
Enemies of progress, free Onyema.
Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by dallyemmy: 12:29pm On Nov 24, 2019
Wey the fighter helicopter or plane baba use our money tey pay for?

EFCC fit investigate that now first before enemies go finish our people for North East.

If na China or Russia den for don come since oo.
Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by JandyJ(m): 12:30pm On Nov 24, 2019
Roadtoyesterday:
Foolish EFCC who call you for the matter? Just trying to be relevance in an already indicted case.... Left to them they will lose last last for court.

Where is Mopha case

Lol.. What is the status of mompha
Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by BluntBoy(m): 12:36pm On Nov 24, 2019
1x2x3:

So why do you think they don't have with those countries?

How should I know?

All I know is that the extradition treaties agreed between the United States and Nigeria is certainly older than many of us on this thread. Since 1935. I wouldn't know why they wouldn't have with Russia or China.

In all, the treaty is there and we cannot overlook it simply because China and Russia didn't enter into such an agreement.

1 Like

Re: $44.9m Wire Deals: Oyema To Be Investigated By EFCC, Sets Special Panel by itsene: 12:36pm On Nov 24, 2019
Roadtoyesterday:
Foolish EFCC who call you for the matter? Just trying to be relevance in an already indicted case.... Left to them they will lose last last for court.

Where is Mopha case

It's a strategy to get the money back to Nigeria so that it does not end up as list and found in the U.S..
Whatever happens, the money does not belong to the U.S..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Inside Garment Factory Owned By Jim Okolo As FRSC Visits (Photos) / Fried Grasshopper: Katsina Residents Make Fortune Selling Tasty Insects / Is Ice Block Production And Selling Business Really Profitable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.