Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,781 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:50 PM

Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? (1528 Views)

Now That Fuel Cost Has Gone Up! You'll Need This. / This Nigerian Mechanic Has Gone Viral After A Video Show Him Lifting An Engine / Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by Kelvin30286063(m): 1:32pm On Nov 24, 2019
I'm looking to go on a road trip with my wife for some days.
When I say a road trip, I don't mean traveling like every other, we just want to travel around some places in Nigeria, know new places and have fun.
This is something I've never done before but I'm hoping it goes well.
On the car part, I have a stable 2007 Honda Accord Europe spec (doesn't have ball joint issues and it barely develop any fault)

I live in the south west and I'm looking at going to Abuja, then Sokoto then Kaduna then maybe visit some areas in the north-east too.

I don't know if there are people on nairaland that have gone on road trips before. Please share your experience and the pros/cons of taking a road trip in Nigeria.
Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by Lexusgs430: 1:35pm On Nov 24, 2019
I am planning a road trip next year, but it's Europe wide.......

Starting at Dover - 1st stop France and continually till we get to Spain............ grin

Vehicle of choice - Toyota CHR Hybrid........ wink

1 Like

Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by Kelvin30286063(m): 1:36pm On Nov 24, 2019
Lexusgs430:
I am planning a road trip next year, but it's Europe wide.......

Starting at Dover - 1st stop France and continually till we get to Spain............ �

Vehicle of choice - Toyota CHR Hybrid........ �
Have a safe trip bro. Have you done it before?

2 Likes

Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by Lexusgs430: 1:39pm On Nov 24, 2019
Kelvin30286063:

Have a safe trip bro. Have you done it before?

Did one to Holland earlier in the year(uk, france, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands), but this Spanish armada, is another kettle of fish......... cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by captainking(m): 1:39pm On Nov 24, 2019
This will be interesting..
Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by tolugar: 1:49pm On Nov 24, 2019
Kelvin30286063:
When I say a road trip, I don't mean traveling like every other, we just want to travel around some places in Nigeria, know new places and have fun.
On the car part, I have a stable 2007 Honda Accord Europe spec (doesn't have ball joint issues and it barely develop any fault)

I live in the south west and I'm looking at going to Abuja, then Sokoto then Kaduna then maybe visit some areas in the north-east too.

I don't know if there are people on nairaland that have gone on road trips before. Please share your experience and the pros/cons of taking a road trip in Nigeria.

My dear op

Nice one. My kind of work takes me on such a journey.

Permit me to suggest the following cities/routes

Anambra
Enugu
Makurdi
Jos
Bauchi
Kano
Kaduna
Abuja
Lokoja

You find your way back.

Most importantly hold enough car tools clean papers,

Don’t be in a rush

Avoid agboros at all cost by obeying all the oneways and no parking zones

If you are a Christian, make sure you enter a church in each city.

Google their tourist sites and

And may God give you journey mercy

4 Likes

Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by Kelvin30286063(m): 2:12pm On Nov 24, 2019
tolugar:

My dear op

Nice one. My kind of work takes me on such a journey.

Permit me to suggest the following cities/routes

Anambra
Enugu
Makurdi
Jos
Bauchi
Kano
Kaduna
Abuja
Lokoja

You find your way back.

Most importantly hold enough car tools clean papers,

Don’t be in a rush

Avoid agboros at all cost by obeying all the oneways and no parking zones

If you are a Christian, make sure you enter a church in each city.

Google their tourist sites and

And may God give you journey mercy
Thank you, I'll consider those cities
Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by KINGreignn: 2:16pm On Nov 24, 2019
Kelvin30286063:

Get a pickup truck or SUV. The roads are very terrible.

7 Likes

Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by Kelvin30286063(m): 2:37pm On Nov 24, 2019
KINGreignn:

Get a pickup truck or SUV. The roads are very terrible.
Oh okay... Will consider that.
Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by meobizy(f): 4:26pm On Nov 24, 2019
Please share your experience and the pros/cons of taking a road trip in Nigeria.
I only did Calabar, Obudu and Abakaliki from Port Harcourt. Mine was more of a vacation which turned to a road trip due to bad roads. I went via public transport so can tell you Nigerian roads are horrible. I think Northern roads are good judging from my 2012 sojourns but use a pickup truck just in case.

The Nigerian police is the biggest issue when it comes to traveling as they have checkpoints almost every fifteen minutes. Some power-drunk individuals may delay your journey for reasons known to them. There is also the problem of community boys accosting drivers for money when detouring through their communes.

The pros include viewing scenery you wouldn’t come across if relaxing at home. I don’t know if the resulting backache from kilometre stretches of bad roads is worth it, though. It’s almost three days post my journey and I’m still bending over like a decrepit elder.

3 Likes

Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by Kelvin30286063(m): 5:36pm On Nov 24, 2019
meobizy:

I only did Calabar, Obudu and Abakaliki from Port Harcourt. Mine was more of a vacation which turned to a road trip due to bad roads. I went via public transport so can tell you Nigerian roads are horrible. I think Northern roads are good judging from my 2012 sojourns but use a pickup truck just in case.

The Nigerian police is the biggest issue when it comes to traveling as they have checkpoints almost every fifteen minutes. Some power-drunk individuals may delay your journey for reasons known to them. There is also the problem of community boys accosting drivers for money when detouring through their communes.

The pros include viewing scenery you wouldn’t come across if relaxing at home. I don’t know if the resulting backache from kilometre stretches of bad roads is worth it, though. It’s almost three days post my journey and I’m still bending over like a decrepit elder.
Lol grin sorry
Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by 9icetoo(m): 6:45am On Nov 25, 2019
Kelvin30286063:

Not consider. That's what you need. You will travelling on roads that you aren't familiar with. Some roads are mud pits, caverns and canyons. They aren't fit to be called roads and you will be encountering quite a few of them. The south east has terrible roads. I was never a fan a SUVs but I had to reconsider after a few hair raisers. And boy am I glad I did.
All the best on your road trip. Ensure you tail transport company buses. They know roads like the back of their hands and you can always discuss with some drivers ahead of the journey, find out their destination and if it aligns with yours, you tail them.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:32pm On Nov 25, 2019
9icetoo:

Not consider. That's what you need. You will travelling on roads that you aren't familiar with. Some roads are mud pits, caverns and canyons. They aren't fit to be called roads and you will be encountering quite a few of them. The south east has terrible roads. I was never a fan a SUVs but I had to reconsider after a few hair raisers. And boy am I glad I did.
All the best on your road trip. Ensure you tail transport company buses. They know roads like the back of their hands and you can always discuss with some drivers ahead of the journey, find out their destination and if it aligns with yours, you tail them.

Solid advice all through.
Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by BamBamK: 1:22pm On Nov 25, 2019
wisdom

op, u should consider these points.

9icetoo:

Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by lilkech(m): 3:15pm On Nov 25, 2019
Of all the times, climes and places to do a road trip you chose NIGERIA?

With terrible roads? herdsmen wahala? Bandits? Boko haram? Rogue police officers? Insensitive citizens shocked

Ensure you use a SUV that is bulletproof. Don’t go looking for enjoyment on the same roads where there’s danger without being ready for the worst
Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by Midoda: 4:43pm On Nov 25, 2019
lilkech:
Of all the times, climes and places to do a road trip you chose NIGERIA?

With terrible roads? herdsmen wahala? Bandits? Boko haram? Rogue police officers? Insensitive citizens shocked

Ensure you use a SUV that is bulletproof. Don’t go looking for enjoyment on the same roads where there’s danger without being ready for the worst

You said my mind.OP cancel that trip.I repeat ,cancel that trip.
Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by EgunMogaji2: 9:26pm On Nov 25, 2019
Planning a road trip to Gambia for 2022 (see signature).

Might throw in a quick Ghana trip early next year.

Good luck on your trip.

1 Like

Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by FEGEITOK: 9:49pm On Nov 25, 2019
West African Highways are apparently safer than Nigerian highways.

Not speaking from experience though.

But I have a friend who used to live in Ivory Coast, and who used to drive from there to Lagos.

He used to leave around midnight and drive to Togo and then Togo to Lagos the next morning.

How about driving to Ghana and Togo sometime in the near future?

You need to get your paperwork right though before you head out.

Plan your trip so you aren't on the highways at night in Nigeria and use online reviews to determine safe hotels before you even leave.

1 Like

Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by greatbrian(m): 10:33pm On Nov 25, 2019
Kelvin30286063:

Op it's actually a good one. Am planning one with my friends to bauchi (yankari) then to Adamawa perhaps back to Kaduna.

And yes I tried it to calabar last year December with my friends. We drove enroute zaria - kaduna- akure where we slept over in Air defence artillery brigade in akure. The second day we went thru ore towards Benin, delta ( from what I saw, a bridge separated delta and Onitsha). Just a long bridge. From there IMO abia Akwa ibom and directly to NNS victory in Calabar where we enjoyed the festival and we took part in the bikers parade after which we matched to the stadium the last night to stare at bare breast of Calabar carnival women. Next day we went to Christmas village from there To Twin island (where Mary slessor do hide twins does days). After the whole carnival, we still had 2days to play around with prior to resumption so we enroute Back this time we passed a separate route and we found our way to delta from dia down to ore, then ijebu igbo, straight where we entered Ibadan. And from Ibadan we decided to harbour in Adekunle fajuyi cantonment. Next day we visited oke Ogun. We passed through iseyin, One town from there we burst out at Saki, Igboho, igbope, and we enroute Ilorin from there down to jebba, mokwa etc and burst out back in Kaduna state.

The car we used was a 2004 highlander. I guess out budget was less than 50k coz we were 5 in numbers and it was worth it. Less I forget, we visited the Palace of Aseyin of iseyin, Okere of saki and we were told Igboho has 4 kings. The town no even reach mando I Kaduna.

HV fun with ur travel and if u HV extra time try and visit kajuru castle in Kaduna state. Its worth visiting.

1 Like

Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:35pm On Nov 25, 2019
greatbrian:

Op it's actually a good one. Am planning one with my friends to bauchi (yankari) then to Adamawa perhaps back to Kaduna.

And yes I tried it to calabar last year December with my friends. We drove enroute zaria - kaduna- akure where we slept over in Air defence artillery brigade in akure. The second day we went thru ore towards Benin, delta ( from what I saw, a bridge separated delta and Onitsha). Just a long bridge. From there IMO abia Akwa ibom and directly to NNS victory in Calabar where we enjoyed the festival and we took part in the bikers parade after which we matched to the stadium the last night to stare at bare breast of Calabar carnival women

Nothing much, just the Niger Bridge.
Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by greatbrian(m): 10:47pm On Nov 25, 2019
Kelvin30286063:

Baba use what you have. And catch all the fun the trip have to offer been you. HV been to sokoto and those other places you mentioned. Once you leave south west the roads are okay from obajana - okene- lokoja- abaji- abuja- Kaduna. From Kaduna, if you will harbour I will advise you to go for admiralty suite, command guest house or water resources hotel in mando. (Don't ask y)

The only P you will have z between Kaduna to zaria. The roads have so many diversion and a journey of 40mins might be 1hr 30mins. Reduce ur speed here. If possible, branch in zaria. Eneter Zaria city (banzauzau). Visit the emir palace. Its worth the sight seeing and from there you can find your way to anywhere. The roads are good up north except the diversions due to the unending repairs. Just get good tyres, spare tyres, a good jack, and some cash in case. And try as much as possible to have all the fun. I LOVE ROAD TRIPS and m hvin my share December 23- 27

Modified... And about the car type, you will realise the major cars they use in the northerns states are HONDA, GOLF or Peugeot. Before u see one Toyota you for son count 10 honda

2 Likes

Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by greatbrian(m): 10:50pm On Nov 25, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Nothing much, just the Niger Bridge.

It was kinda funny though we just crossed bridge and enter a totally different state
Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by MusaDanladi1: 10:53pm On Nov 25, 2019
EgunMogaji2:
Planning a road trip to Gambia for 2022 (see signature).

Might throw in a quick Ghana trip early next year.

Good luck on your trip.
Nice and rugged choice for a road trip sir...
Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by EgunMogaji2: 10:57pm On Nov 25, 2019
MusaDanladi1:

Nice and rugged choice for a road trip sir...

Thanks but frankly all I need is the one pictured below. My European friends who regularly tour are making fun of me to stop thinking like an American grin

1 Like

Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by MusaDanladi1: 11:01pm On Nov 25, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

Thanks but frankly all I need is the one pictured below. My European friends who regularly tour are making fun of me to stop thinking like an American grin
Lol! I prefer the Ford I had a nice experience with one when in was in ghana. It mostly used as their choice of transport and a smooth and comfortable ride too.

1 Like

Re: Who Has Gone On A Road Trip Before...? by greatbrian(m): 11:05pm On Nov 25, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

Nice choice of car sir cheesy. grin

(1) (Reply)

What Does The New Driver's License Look Like? / How Good Is Opel Vectra / Tyre Brands-pls Recomend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.