Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,846 members, 7,802,702 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:21 PM

Need Answers To Some Interview Questions - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Need Answers To Some Interview Questions (7921 Views)

6 Brutally Honest Answers To Common Job Interview Questions / How To Answer Some Interview Questions / Interview Questions For Oil & Gas,engineering,telecommunication And Banking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by akaba: 4:51pm On May 24, 2007
Hello friends!Can somebody pls. furnish me with the best answers for the following interview questions

-What are u going to do for us?
-What is a mechanical engineer coming to do in  a bank/where does a mechanical engineer fit in in the staff structure of a bank?
-Won't you be better  off in another firm?
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by Matured26(m): 11:23am On May 25, 2007
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO FOR US?
-Pls what can you do for them. If I give you answers, that will be for me and may not suit you.

WHAT IS A MECHNICAL ENGINEER COMING TO DO IN A BANK?
-Mechanical engineers are responsible for things that have to do with motion. When machines are not moving, a mechanical engineer is the solution. When machines are moving, a mechanical engineer is responsible for keeping it in motion.
I'm choosing to look at your bank as a machine in motion. As a mechanical engineer, I can contribute my quota to the smooth running of the bank and you can be rest assured that indicates my unwavering and unflinching interests in keeping organisations running smoothly.

WON'T YOU BE BETTER IN ANOTHER FIRM?
-Yes I could be better in another firm, there's no doubt about that but I believe that your bank is also a good company and it wouldn't be a bad idea starting my career from here.
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by Dreadlocks(m): 1:19pm On May 25, 2007
Hello fellow nairalander, just be confident when u answer these questions.

What can u do for us?
I am here to work for/with u according to the job description that will be assigned to me.

What is a Mech Engr doing in the bank?

I believe that life is full of challenges, working in the bank as a Mech Engr is one of them and with resilience and determination i can excel in any sector.
Why not somewhere else?
Just like i said in the above question, its all about determination and commitment to succeed wherever u are. Thank u.
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by dollyp1cute(f): 1:29pm On May 25, 2007
Matured26:

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO FOR US?
-Please what can you do for them. If I give you answers, that will be for me and may not suit you.

WHAT IS A MECHNICAL ENGINEER COMING TO DO IN A BANK?
-Mechanical engineers are responsible for things that have to do with motion. When machines are not moving, a mechanical engineer is the solution. When machines are moving, a mechanical engineer is responsible for keeping it in motion.
I'm choosing to look at your bank as a machine in motion. As a mechanical engineer, I can contribute my quota to the smooth running of the bank and you can be rest assured that indicates my unwavering and unflinching interests in keeping organisations running smoothly.

WON'T YOU BE BETTER IN ANOTHER FIRM?
-Yes I could be better in another firm, there's no doubt about that but I believe that your bank is also a good company and it wouldn't be a bad idea starting my career from here.

WELL MATURED26 I AM IMPRESSED YOU'RE HIRED cheesy
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by Danfo(m): 4:07pm On May 25, 2007
What are u going to do for us?

I am a self-motivated individual with the strength of character, and ambition to achieve at the highest level. I am confident with numbers and well-organized. I am also a team player who is competent in communicating effectively and relating well to people. I believe these qualities will enable me to make tremendous contributions to the achievement of your organisational goals.

What is a mechanical engineer coming to do in a bank/where does a mechanical engineer fit in the staff structure of a bank?
My study of mechanical engineering has helped me to develop a range of skills, in particular those of analyzing and interpreting complex information and presenting opinions and conclusions in oral and written forms. And I believe these skills will help me in carrying out my tasks efficiently and also in bringing meaningful solutions to the complex/critical issues of your organization.

Won't you be better off in another firm?
I have chosen your firm because your organisation is a premier employer; the quality of training and support available, and because it offers me the privilege of working and growing within one of the leading/ outstanding/ reputable employer in  financial services in Nigeria and around the world.

Hope this is not too late, and that it helps. Good luck!
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by Olufidu(m): 4:22pm On May 25, 2007
The answers to most interview questions are in the job descriptions/details and requirements.

-What are u going to do for us?
What you are going to do for them is what they have advertised that want the candidate for. Look into the job descriptions and frame your answer round what you have there.

-What is a mechanical engineer coming to do in  a bank/where does a mechanical engineer fit in in the staff structure of a bank?

For this, their requirements are what will lead you to a convincing answer. What do they require of the ideal candidate? Try to relate it to mechanical engineering and then bring in personality trait like - love working with numbers, honesty and integrity, customer focus, patience, accounatbility, detail oriented, organised, meticulous etc - the requirements will most likely have all the ones they are looking for. You may also mention any hobby that is banking related. Most importantly is to radiate confidence and let then see that can-do atitude in you.

-Won't you be better  off in another firm?

This is where you have to blow their trumpet. Tell then something nice about the bank. How would you know what to say? Research . . .  use an insider, their web site, etc etc If you can just get an info about the bank that makes them stand out from other banks that will really make a good impact as employers likes candidates that can demonstrate interest in their organization.

You may want to google "bank interview" and check out sample Q&As.

Best of luck
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by nicek4u: 4:46pm On May 25, 2007
Plz whats the difference btw Cover letter and application letter
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by barin24(m): 4:51pm On May 25, 2007
when prospective employers ask dat question: wat can u do 4 us.?

they want u to tell them in very precise language wat u can or will do for them. e.g if u r employed  within d marketing function u shuld be able to tell dem dat within so so period u will bring in so so amount of money in deposits, and if u've got previous work experience u shuld flaunt ur past achievements at them, these are what impresses employers.
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by topyblack(m): 6:00pm On May 25, 2007
my dear friend,

What can you do for us?

Straight to the point:

Ask them to give u the opportunity to serve them, don't beg for the job. Speak with assurance that once they put u in the field they will get the best of you in less than 60 days. . speak convincingly (as a graduate, I know you've got the stuff to deliver)

Tell the board that emotional willpower that u got from studying as a Mech Engr. will move the bank (branch) beyond expectations.

lucky u!
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by ireke(m): 6:41pm On May 25, 2007
Question 1 is asking about YOU, they could have said "Tell me a little about yourself." or Why are you looking to change jobs?, Why are you here?
Tell them briefly about your self especially as it relates their requirements.

Question 2 is asking about YOU and the COMPANY. What do you think we can do with this "marriage"? Will you go the extra mile for us? The responses about mechanical engineer and motion, numbers and analytical skills are good inputs for your answer. Present yourslef as a problem solver and not a job seeker.

Question 3 is all about them. that is your chance to flatter them. Here is where you show them that you've done your research and not only know something about their company but you have several reasons for being enthusiastic about working for them. Do your homework. Always research the company before you interview. Know who they are, what they do, what their major products and services are, who their competitors are, what the current "buzz" might be about them.

All the best.
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by buqy(f): 6:47pm On May 25, 2007
MATURED26; Kudus to you. I love those response man.
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by topyblack(m): 6:53pm On May 25, 2007
@nIK4U

COVER LETTER
A cover letter or covering letter is a letter of introduction attached to, or accompanying another document such as a résumé or curriculum vitae. A successful cover letter results in the résumé being considered, rather than discarded. It also sometimes accompanies a scientific article.

Purpose
A cover letter is the job seeker's introduction to the employer or recruiter. It can also be a marketing device. It highlights a few specific points in the job seeker's experience and skills that match or exceed the requirements of the job. It should be written to address the employer or recruiter's concerns. For example, "My experience in (whatever is needed) can help you with (whatever is needed)," would be preferable to "Your job interests me." Additionally, the requirement of a cover letter for employment purposes can also be used to weed out potential candidates who lack the necessary interest in the position. Many individuals, who are not entirely interested in the specific position, are likely to balk at the idea of drafting an individualized cover letter, thus leaving the employer with a pool of only the most interested candidates.

Format
The format of a cover letter varies depending on whether or not it is being emailed or sent as a hard-copy to the recipient. The primary difference is that the hard-copy begins with the sender's name and contact information, while the emailed version places the name and contact information at the end of the letter in place of a handwritten signature.

The cover letter should be at most one page, and consist of three primary paragraphs, the introduction, the body, and the closing. First (or second, if it's a hard-copy), the date that the letter was written or sent is aligned to the left of the cover letter. Next, the recipient's contact information appears, followed by a personal greeting to the recipient ("Dear Mrs. Cunningham," or the like).

I think this answers your question. Next time try and make it a topic in the forum

ok, you are new and posting for the first time, you do well. Welcome dear. cheers!
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by nosa101(f): 7:53pm On May 25, 2007
I've tried but I can't see why a Mech Engr will want to work in a Bank, isn't that underemployment?
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by teddyface(m): 11:38pm On May 25, 2007
nosa101:

I've tried but I can't see why a Mech Engr will want to work in a Bank, isn't that underemployment?

my brother that is 9ja for you o. nowadays engr graduate think of banks form day one. they dont even remember they are engineering firm. embarassed embarassed
but man must work you know. cheesy
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by pinez(f): 7:01pm On May 26, 2007
wht if u re asked ;wht has a Biochemist come to do in a bank. wht is the appropriate ans to it
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by Nobody: 5:47pm On May 27, 2007
AdeCisco says beware of giving interviewers the impression that you are mobile and will soon leave their bank. No employer in the world will give their full time employment to a  part time employee. So followers of mature26, please beware. 1.What are you going to do for us? Can you do what you don't know about? Find out which position you are most likely to fill. Three qualities are most demanding in the banking sector. (i) Team spirit (ii) Leadership skills (iii) Knowledge base and experience. Be sure of the position first, then manipulate your way in intelligently.

2. What is a mechanical Engineer coming to do in a bank? Ever since i graduated from the university, i've always dreamt of working in a bank. Engineering money for the bank. Whether an engineer works in a bank or in his field his primary purpose is to improve the efficiency of whatever system he finds himself bearing in mind that growth occurs when output is greater than input. O/I * 100.

3. Won't you be better off in another firm? I won't be better off in another firm, I want to be here and the pay is sufficient for me to do my job.

Give your employer the impression that you want to keep the job if you're finally given the chance.
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by akaba: 12:09pm On May 28, 2007
Friends,I don't really know how to thank you all.I am really overwhelmed .May God Bless u all A MILLION TIMES
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by dasarge(m): 4:09pm On May 28, 2007
here are some interview success tips.

Enjoy and best of luck

Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by ChieFoH(m): 11:12am On May 29, 2007
. . . hmmmm learning
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by oludunamis(m): 1:08pm On May 29, 2007
@olufidu and adecisco
great advice, cant add anything to that. very professional answers

@nosa
I disagree with u a billion times, i know tons on engineering grads who are bank executives. top investment banks in london and Newyork have more engr grad than other discipline.

An engr degree not only gives you very good exposure to numeracy, it gives you a logical and problem solving mind, you can excel at whatever you decide to do, there have been medical sch grads becoming successful accountant.

Education should broaden your horizon and should not limit it

Good luck akaba. which bank is this?
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by nosa101(f): 1:17am On May 30, 2007
oludunamis:

top investment banks in london and Newyork have more engr grad than other discipline.

Proof? Do they have MBAs? From recruiting officers I've asked, that's utter bullcrap. And I asked Bank of America officers at a career fair some months ago.

oludunamis:

An engr degree not only gives you very good exposure to numeracy, it gives you a[b] logical and problem solving mind[/b], you can excel at whatever you decide to do,
I think that comes with being smart. I don't know what curriculum that is but I'm a Mech undergrad and I don't do anything close to business math, I may be able to but it is not included in the degree program.
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by ChieFoH(m): 2:51pm On Jun 01, 2007
AYOBO KO, DEEPER LIFE NI sad
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by DisGuy: 5:15pm On Jun 06, 2007
matured26 please don't!!! shocked i'll only hire you if your the last person with that story.

Danfo, i'll know you are 'reading' straight from a book ,ive read the book also grin very good answers though.

nosa101, thats the nigerian situation, how exactly will a graduate in biochemistry convince someone about their desire to work in a bank undecided i mean people want to become engineers/doctors right from junior school and after several years in uni studying something they love and probably good at they apply for bank jobs usually with no conversion courses or training sad priority should be given to accounting,banking and finance students tongue. i know engineers are number crunchers too
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by lovemewel(f): 6:54pm On Jun 07, 2007
pls i read agree economics and extension. i ve an interview with john holt next week pls if am asked the same how do i reply? 2ndly if am been asked why i want the job /3rdif ve been ask where it fits with my career.4th if am asked wat re my strenght? 5thwhat been ur most siginificant success at work? 6thwat is ur biggest mistake ever made ? 7thy wat is ur greatest chanllenge u ve faced? my mail is oluchinwoke2001@yahoo.com 08035742533
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by gattang202(m): 1:34pm On Jun 08, 2007
Hi,
Regarding your question as to answer for interview question.
If u are ask what do mech eng want to do in a bank? ans:i think the best answer u should give them is simply that having ur first degree in mech eng is not an issue since we all know that having ur first degree is a stepping stone to many other things ahead of u and also since u are flexible and u have what they are looking for despite the fact u a mech eng grad u have what it takes to be have the job.(just capitalise on ur strenght dont give in to ur weakness.i must tell u what they are always looking for is not really the answer u give to the question but the confidence u have in urself,the way u talk,if u are not timid,and look them in the eye).they mite also ask why should we employ?just tell them that u have what it takes mention one or two of ur strenght that u can defend and also hammer on the fact that u are a graduate that u can also work under stress as stress stimulate u,
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by Cosjo(m): 2:38pm On Jun 08, 2007
If u are a christian remember topray when going
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by Aduks(f): 10:22am On Jun 15, 2007
What are u going to do for us?

I am a self-motivated individual with the strength of character, and ambition to achieve at the highest level. I am confident with numbers and well-organized. I am also a team player who is competent in communicating effectively and relating well to people. I believe these qualities will enable me to make tremendous contributions to the achievement of your organisational goals.

What is a mechanical engineer coming to do in a bank/where does a mechanical engineer fit in the staff structure of a bank?
My study of mechanical engineering has helped me to develop a range of skills, in particular those of analyzing and interpreting complex information and presenting opinions and conclusions in oral and written forms. And I believe these skills will help me in carrying out my tasks efficiently and also in bringing meaningful solutions to the complex/critical issues of your organization.

Won't you be better off in another firm?
I have chosen your firm because your organisation is a premier employer; the quality of training and support available, and because it offers me the privilege of working and growing within one of the leading/ outstanding/ reputable employer in financial services in Nigeria and around the world.

Hope this is not too late, and that it helps. Good luck!

Perfect answer
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by hambim336: 5:33am On Apr 25, 2011
Hi

You can find this info by using search box in the top of website with some keywords related before posting questions.
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by hambim336: 2:54pm On May 18, 2011
If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Detail oriented interview questions

Best regards.
Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by fabienjoe: 3:20am On May 20, 2011
Some advice in all these; Be careful when lifting answers to interview questions from books and websites. Some employers already know about them. It pays to be original. There are no right and wrong answers, however trying to liken a bank to a machine in motion is, in my opinion, comical. Engineers study a lot of calculus and the rest, bank job require more of statistics which are solved by softwares anyway. Show them you understand this. Emphasize more on your personal attributes like good organizational, communication, numeracy team-working, oral and wrtten communication skills, IT skills, ability to work accurately under pressure, meeting set targets etc. Tell them how your experience both in and outside school, including your Engineering or any other degree have helped you acquire these. Employers are not as interested in your academic achievements as they are in your person. Give practical examples of you problem solving skills, preferably in the real world rather than the university. On what you will bring, it is neither here nor there. Research what the vision and mission of the organisation is and see what you can contribute towards it based on your unique skills. Finally, don't you think you can work better in another organisation? The answer is NO. Never tell an employer they are your second choice. You are an Engineer, a programme you thoroughly enjoyed but you discovered banking is a natural calling for you after taking a holistic view of all your experience till date. You realise that the financial system is the hub around which all businesses revolve and it will be the best feeling for you personally to be involved in it. Reel ou what banks do - keeping people's money, investment, loans etc and tell how these are your dream jobs and how satified it will make you to see your customers succeed as the bank grows. Don't mention the money they will pay you. Your motivation should best be within the job and its outcome.

1 Like

Re: Need Answers To Some Interview Questions by fabienjoe: 3:48am On May 20, 2011
Reputable employers train and retrain their staff but they do not want you to expect that you should be trained before you will be able to do the job. They go for the best fit. It is left for you to tell them how you fit best into the position. In the developed world, some employers don't even ask for your certificates before offering you a job. They only ask afterwards for purposes of documentation. Of course if you lied, you are likely to lose the job.

(1) (Reply)

Urgent Vacancies / First Bank Associate Management Programme 2023 / How Was Your Experience Working With A Start-up?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.