Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,338 members, 7,780,888 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:51 AM

State Wealth In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / State Wealth In Nigeria (1190 Views)

Kano State Starts The Conversion Of Waste To Wealth / The Wealth In Waste / How They Share Our Wealth In Pieces. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

State Wealth In Nigeria by DapoBear(m): 10:47am On Nov 22, 2010
There is a very interesting (and long, 180+ pages) report by the UNDP on Nigeria here: http://www.ng.undp.org/documents/NHDR2009/NHDR_MAIN-REPORT_2008-2009.pdf

On page 153 of this report is Table 1.1, which lists the population and per capita GDP for each state.

I've copied and pasted those two columns into a spreadsheet, which is now on Google Docs here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AsNUaGBnBF1KdGpuMklLeFdUZGFsRlRaOFJVUjk4LXc&hl=en&authkey=CPzg4awD

I also highlighted some states I have questions about, states ranked #9 through #17 in GDP/capita.

First of all, how on earth is it possible for Niger to be the 9th richest state (per capita) in Nigeria? Or Zamfara #10? Is the wealth of your typical Zamfara man really 5 times that of your typical Edo man ($1585 GDP/capita for Zamfara versus $320 for Edo)?

I have no clue how to make sense of any of this data. Niger State for example is supposedly 5 times as wealthy as Kwara, its neighbor to the south. Shouldn't then the Northern part of Kwara be the wealthiest part?

Right now, I'm extremely confused. Population falsification alone would not explain these numbers, since most of us believe that the population figures in the North are inflated, not deflated. But if this is true, then this means that that Niger State is even WEALTHIER than this number indicates. Which seems mindblowing, to me.

I'm starting to think that these reported GDP per state numbers were just completely made up, and are entirely false. Can someone shed some insight into this? Which numbers can I trust, and which should I not trust?
Re: State Wealth In Nigeria by DapoBear(m): 11:47am On Nov 22, 2010
bump
Re: State Wealth In Nigeria by DapoBear(m): 1:26pm On Nov 22, 2010
Bump again. Surely someone here has looked at this problem and figured out what the truth is? For example, has anyone compared internally generated revenue figures and federal allocations to listed state GDP? Or done a regression analysis involving some of the HDI factors?

Somebody must have done a thorough job in figuring this out, so don't be shy, talk smiley
Re: State Wealth In Nigeria by OmoTier1(m): 1:35pm On Nov 22, 2010
Is it today you guys realize that UN and her agencies don KO LO ? Why do you think in the last 18months Nigeria barely pays attention to their figures? That is the beauty of THIS LIFE ( hmmm no I am not talknig about WAE ADENUGA PRODUCTION), REALITY can never be confused with assumptions! WE NIGERIANS that live in Nigeria know better so we just gloss over these reports 'cos they are meaningless. Did they not publish one recently that bothers on the easy of doing business in Nigeria and the report was found to be riddle with so much inaccuracies and their paid Nigeria counterpart start making stupid comments on AIT.

Just like CHINA, We, NIGERIANS should just ignore the UN and her agency reports and let focus on doing what is right to develop Nigeria and empower fellow citizens. Today, the UN takes permission from CHINA before she publishes any report(s) about her for the obvious consequences of what will follow if such permission is not sort! SOON Nigeria will assume that position if we seek to do what is right NOW.

(1) (Reply)

Atiku: A New Word In The English Lexicon / Nigeria: New Electricity Tariff / Government Set To Enforce Ban On Tinted Vehicles. ( Is It True Please )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.