Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:30 PM

Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. (1130 Views)

Good And Concise Writings / Do You Need A Blog For Your Writings? Or A Website To Sell Your Books? / Reach Us For Your Academic And Corporate Writings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by purples25(f): 8:58am On Nov 26, 2019
I'm here for some opinions and correction/criticism.
So, im used to reading novels. I loved writing since childhood. I excelled at English language and Literature all through my earlier years. Everywhere i went to, people understood, marvelled at and enjoyed reading what i wrote even as a child. This explanation is here so you can understand what is confusing me on nl.

Some readers here claim they dont understand the stories. I have read stuff by Chimamanda, Helon Habila and co. and they do not always explain everything they write. The meaning does not have to be explained but as it stands here i have to write with no ambiguity in my work. Could it be the way i write?

Also, i write collections of short stories and people cannot understand that a collection of short stories is a combination of totally different stories on their own. Once a guy said the stories are too different and abrupt. How?

Lastly,is my writing not suited to African taste? I noticed people like romance and my focus isn't always there .

1 Like

Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by purples25(f): 9:08am On Nov 26, 2019
cc cbella , VanTee
Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by Dathypebruv(m): 9:14am On Nov 26, 2019
I'm vexed rn...

Bih you forgot to mention me on yah story abi...
Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by purples25(f): 8:10pm On Nov 26, 2019
Dathypebruv:
I'm vexed rn...

Bih you forgot to mention me on yah story abi...

my favourite person ...... Sorry about that, i've been saving your attention for the nl version of my book, lol. I did not want to ruin your faith in me with one of my less interesting stories? Still, i'm glad you showed up here, really glad !
Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by Dathypebruv(m): 8:27pm On Nov 26, 2019
purples25:

my favourite person ...... Sorry about that, i've been saving your attention for the nl version of my book, lol. I did not want to ruin your faith in me with one of my less interesting stories? Still, i'm glad you showed up here, really glad !

Its my attention to give hun... And i was drawn here cos i like yah style,hope we'll get some illustrations with it too cheesy

Who was complaining bout it before...
Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by purples25(f): 8:30pm On Nov 26, 2019
Dathypebruv:

Its my attention to give hun... And i was drawn here cos i like yah style,hope we'll get some illustrations with it too cheesy

Who was complaining bout it before...

oh thats in my other stories. You can go through them and put down your own opinions.
Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by Nobody: 10:23pm On Nov 26, 2019
purples25:

oh thats in my other stories. You can go through them and put down your own opinions.

as a writer, you need to understand that not everyone will dig your books.

lots of people love to be spoonfed every single detail. it's the world we are in. people are too lazy to exert their minds. that's why most youths don't read anymore. they'd rather hang out on social media all day watching video clips and pouring through pictures.

a good book doesn't explain everything. it carries the reader along by making the reader do a little bit of work. that's one of the best ways to keep your readers interested otherwise, the book will become bogged down with too many details.

stick to your writing mode. I'm sure those who will appreciate it will.

5 Likes

Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by purples25(f): 10:33pm On Nov 26, 2019
FrLukas:

as a writer, you need to understand that not everyone will dig your books.

lots of people love to be spoonfed every single detail. it's the world we are in. people are too lazy to exert their minds. that's why most youths don't read anymore. they'd rather hang out on social media all day watching video clips and pouring through pictures.

a good book doesn't explain everything. it carries the reader along by making the reader do a little bit of work. that's one of the best ways to keep your readers interested otherwise, the book will become bogged down with too many details.

stick to your writing mode. I'm sure those who will appreciate it will.

thank you for the explanation, i will keep writing. I appreciate your input.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by Nobody: 10:34pm On Nov 26, 2019
purples25:

thank you for the explanation, i will keep writing. I appreciate your input.

you welcome. keep writing.

1 Like

Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by Areaboy2(m): 9:57pm On Nov 27, 2019
Not everyone is suited to understand books written by your favourite authors (as listed) .. The right audience are silently reading and enjoying them. Keep up the amazing work and passion.. It is a unique skill..

2 Likes

Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by purples25(f): 10:06pm On Nov 27, 2019
Areaboy2:
Not everyone is suited to understand books written by your favourite authors (as listed) .. The right audience are silently reading and enjoying them. Keep up the amazing work and passion.. It is a unique skill..

thanks, i'll keep it up.
Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by Areaboy2(m): 10:14pm On Nov 27, 2019
purples25:

thanks, i'll keep it up.
Check your email
Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by purples25(f): 11:16pm On Nov 27, 2019
Areaboy2:
Check your email
i'll do that.
Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by VanTee20(m): 8:19am On Nov 29, 2019
purples25:
So, im used to reading novels. I loved writing since childhood. I excelled at English language and Literature all through my earlier years. Everywhere i went to, people understood, marvelled at and enjoyed reading what i wrote even as a child. This explanation is here so you can understand what is confusing me on nl.

Some readers here claim they dont understand the stories. I have read stuff by Chimamanda, Helon Habila and co. and they do not always explain everything they write. The meaning does not have to be explained but as it stands here i have to write with no ambiguity in my work. Could it be the way i write?

Also, i write collections of short stories and people cannot understand that a collection of short stories is a combination of totally different stories on their own. Once a guy said the stories are too different and abrupt. How?

Lastly,is my writing not suited to African taste? I noticed people like romance and my focus isn't always there .
Your writings are nice, I remember reading one of your short stories and going wow. I think it was that one that had to do with an incident in a hostel dormitory. I can't recall the details because it's been years.
Do not water down your stories to satisfy some readers. If you like what you write, then there will surely be some people who will like it as well.
I can say from my experience here that litlanders prefer long stories, divided into episodes or chapters. Short stories are almost always ignored, unless you are Senbonzakura Kageyoshi or your story somehow finds its way to the frontpage. Even at that, the separate threads are usually created for each short story, so threads like A Kaleidoscope of Short Stories are not what they are used to. However some people like them and that is why you should keep at it.
Romance always gets more fans. People are ready to ignore bad spellings, poor grammar and all of that just to read romance. If you happen to write it well, then you will have readers on your neck, wanting more and more. However, we can't all write romance.
Just write what you like, write it well and write it consistently, then you will have more readers on your threads than you can imagine. Have a nice day, Purples.

1 Like

Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by sochey(f): 8:37am On Nov 29, 2019
I think this kind of problem is also applicable to me.

So all that matters is to keep writing as long as it sends a message and make you happy.

It's not everybody that loves chimamanda Adiche books...

So have fun while writing, those who do not have shallow mindset will understand the message you are trying to pass out.

Capisce!!!!

1 Like

Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by purples25(f): 11:13am On Nov 29, 2019
sochey:
I think this kind of problem is also applicable to me.

So all that matters is to keep writing as long as it sends a message and make you happy.

It's not everybody that loves chimamanda Adiche books...

So have fun while writing, those who do not have shallow mindset will understand the message you are trying to pass out.

Capisce!!!!

Thanks love, and thanks to VanTee too.

1 Like

Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by EagleSquare1(m): 2:15pm On Feb 04, 2020
I think you are on track with your writing style. It has to be unique to you. When Chinua Achebe wrote his book Things Fall Apart he never knew the reach it would attain, he was only probably writing with joy and satisfaction. Today, the book is a global material.

Keep living out your heart and never be discouraged, but always give room for criticisms and corrections as I think you do.

purples25:

1 Like

Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by purples25(f): 5:49pm On Feb 04, 2020
EagleSquare1:
I think you are on track with your writing style. It has to be unique to you. When Chinua Achebe wrote his book Things Fall Apart he never knew the reach it would attain, he was only probably writing with joy and satisfaction. Today, the book is a global material.

Keep living out your heart and never be discouraged, but always give room for criticisms and corrections as I think you do.

Thank you for your encouragement. I really appreciate it.

1 Like

Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by wackpoet(m): 12:05am On May 02, 2020
purples25:
Firstly, I don't think Nairaland readers are the best judge of your literary works. That's because there's a wide pool of characters here and as can be seen from comments a lot of them do not have the patience to sit and digest a good story. They need fastfood information. Simple, cliche, sensational. Keep writing though. I'd try to check your works when I'm free.

1 Like

Re: Some Problems I Noticed That I Have With My Writings On Nairaland. by purples25(f): 12:27am On May 02, 2020
wackpoet:

Firstly, I don't think Nairaland readers are the best judge of your literary works. That's because there's a wide pool of characters here and as can be seen from comments a lot of them do not have the patience to sit and digest a good story. They need fastfood information. Simple, cliche, sensational. Keep writing though. I'd try to check your works when I'm free.

OK i really appreciate your support. It will push me to keep writing. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Organic Gardening / A Must Read For All Ladies - Very Important! / A Thread For Appreciation For Our Literature Section Amazing Authors!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.