Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,817 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:21 PM

Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon (19140 Views)

Jumia Shuts Down Operations In Cameroon / Dynamics Intelligence Shuts Operations In Nigeria / Gomyway Closes Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by tinodam: 6:42pm On Nov 27, 2019

While the workers of Jumia Cameroon are still digesting the news of operations being 'suspended' in the country, the biggest eCommerce startup in Africa has closed another of its business in Tanzania.

According to a statement obtained by Techawk, the 'Amazon of Africa' has shut down its operations in Tanzania in order to focus resources on other markets.

The statement reads: "Based on our review of the path to success, we have made a difficult decision to cease our operations in Tanzania as of 27th Nov 2019.

"While Tanzania has strong potential and we’re proud of the growth we’ve collectively seen stemming from Jumia’s adoption, we have to focus our resources on our other markets. This decision isn't easy but will help put our focus and resources where they can bring the best value and help Jumia thrive."

Like in Cameroon, the statement adds that: "Jumia will continue to support buyers and vendors through our classifieds portal, previously called Jumia Deals, which will now be the main portal jumia.tz. Thousands of buyers and vendors transact through this portal and we believe it will continue to become increasingly relevant in the future."

The Alibaba of Africa appears to be desperately looking for ways to cut its losses and become profitable. One of the ways it thinks it can achieve this is to close down businesses that strategic to these objectives.

Jumia's 3rd quarter report shows that it is nowhere near profitability despite making a revenue of $44.2 million. Regardless, the losses keep rising. For the Q3, the loss stood at $55 million, which is higher than the $45 million it recorded in the same quarter in 2018.

The million-dollar question on the minds of the thousands of Jumia employees is which country is next? It is still present in Nigeria, Egypt, Morocco, Kenya, Ivory Coast, South Africa, Tunisia, Algeria, Ghana, Senegal, Uganda and Rwanda.

https://www.techawk.com.ng/2019/11/27/jumia-closes-business-in-tanzania/

Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by Otisker(m): 8:00am On Nov 28, 2019
Bad market, but seriously online shopping is not an African thing (I think) due to fear of being scammed.

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by Kenzboi1(m): 8:00am On Nov 28, 2019
Y
Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by nototribalist: 8:00am On Nov 28, 2019
Next will be Ghana, their traders and retailers can't get supplies from Nigeria again.

So Jumia do the needful there now

8 Likes

Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by Slawormir: 8:00am On Nov 28, 2019
Damnnnnn
As a real niggarrr

I hardly do e-commerce

1 Like

Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by superlanny(m): 8:00am On Nov 28, 2019
The economy is not smiling everywhere, not only naija.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by Toju200(m): 8:01am On Nov 28, 2019
FTC thank God
Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by Nobody: 8:01am On Nov 28, 2019
Their services are relatively poor and their delivery agents are somewhat unprofessional. They have a habit of begging for tips and sometimes unofficially rescheduling deliveries. Also on several occasions, my orders were cancelled without notice. I got sick of them and moved to Konga. I have made so many purchases on konga and have never been disappointed.

#Modified.
For those of you that think I was just trying talking crap, find attached a trail of failed deliveries from jumia

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by IduNaOba: 8:01am On Nov 28, 2019
What's happening to jumia biko nụ
Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by midolian(m): 8:02am On Nov 28, 2019
A friend of mine just ordered for two giant refrigerators worth over 400k..I hope we won't hear same for Nigeria

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by nuhu2018(m): 8:02am On Nov 28, 2019
a�
Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by lonelydora: 8:02am On Nov 28, 2019
Buhari sef. grin grin
Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by Chibuzoc(m): 8:02am On Nov 28, 2019
Hmm
Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by vincentjk(m): 8:02am On Nov 28, 2019
It's normal with business, I personally think they've problem with funds and capital hence the reason of the shutting down of their branches

2 Likes

Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by patokenneth: 8:02am On Nov 28, 2019
tinodam:

While the workers of Jumia Cameroon are still digesting the news of operations being 'suspended' in the country, the biggest eCommerce startup in Africa has closed another of its business in Tanzania.

According to a statement obtained by Techawk, the 'Amazon of Africa' has shut down its operations in Tanzania in order to focus resources on other markets.

The statement reads: "Based on our review of the path to success, we have made a difficult decision to cease our operations in Tanzania as of 27th Nov 2019.

"While Tanzania has strong potential and we’re proud of the growth we’ve collectively seen stemming from Jumia’s adoption, we have to focus our resources on our other markets. This decision isn't easy but will help put our focus and resources where they can bring the best value and help Jumia thrive."

Like in Cameroon, the statement adds that: "Jumia will continue to support buyers and vendors through our classifieds portal, previously called Jumia Deals, which will now be the main portal jumia.tz. Thousands of buyers and vendors transact through this portal and we believe it will continue to become increasingly relevant in the future."

The Alibaba of Africa appears to be desperately looking for ways to cut its losses and become profitable. One of the ways it thinks it can achieve this is to close down businesses that strategic to these objectives.

Jumia's 3rd quarter report shows that it is nowhere near profitability despite making a revenue of $44.2 million. Regardless, the losses keep rising. For the Q3, the loss stood at $55 million, which is higher than the $45 million it recorded in the same quarter in 2018.

The million-dollar question on the minds of the thousands of Jumia employees is which country is next? It is still present in Nigeria, Egypt, Morocco, Kenya, Ivory Coast, South Africa, Tunisia, Algeria, Ghana, Senegal, Uganda and Rwanda.

https://www.techawk.com.ng/2019/11/27/jumia-closes-business-in-tanzania/
It's not by going public...
Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by FacelessKing: 8:02am On Nov 28, 2019
Ecommerce in Africa is not ready yet

4 Likes

Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by NonFarmPayrol: 8:02am On Nov 28, 2019
Jumia was a money laundering syndicate

undecided

Forget the package
Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by Johnny1013(m): 8:03am On Nov 28, 2019
This is a very bad, e-commerce In Africa is just something else.Up til now They are yet to make profit.

2 Likes

Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by princeade86(m): 8:03am On Nov 28, 2019
Toju200:
FTC thank God
come back next market day

2 Likes

Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by Skyfornia(m): 8:03am On Nov 28, 2019
Thank God I finally got what I ordered since two weeks ago...
Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by Johnny1013(m): 8:03am On Nov 28, 2019
patokenneth:
It's not by going public...
I am sure they did that to raise money but still no be by going public
Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by thundafire: 8:03am On Nov 28, 2019
Hope say dis guys no go carry money run

1 Like

Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by SoNature(m): 8:04am On Nov 28, 2019
I want to buy Jumia Nigeria grin

On a serious note, I trust Stan Ekeh, the co-owner of Konga, to acquire Jumia Nigeria instead of allowing the company to collapse.

However, if Jumia Nigeria fails, many people will be in trouble because I know lots of sellers who use their platform to make ends meet.

2 Likes

Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by Lilimax(f): 8:05am On Nov 28, 2019
Harsh economy

1 Like

Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by Lilimax(f): 8:06am On Nov 28, 2019
thundafire:
Hope say dis guys no go carry money run
huh
Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by mmsen: 8:06am On Nov 28, 2019
Otisker:
Bad market, but seriously online shopping is not an African thing (I think) due to fear of being scammed.

People are and will use it because there is money to be made (and saved) doing so.

2 Likes

Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by Lilimax(f): 8:06am On Nov 28, 2019
nototribalist:
Next will be Ghana, their traders and retailers can't get supplies from Nigeria again.

So Jumia do the needful there now
undecided shocked
Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by Lanretoye(m): 8:06am On Nov 28, 2019
Make den close Nigeria now
Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by Lilimax(f): 8:07am On Nov 28, 2019
How does Alibaba and Alliexpress do there's
Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by Realdeals(m): 8:08am On Nov 28, 2019
High level of illiteracy is why many of these startups are closing shop in Africa.
Many of these products are meant for literate minds and not just educated fellows that fills the landscape of Africa.

4 Likes

Re: Jumia Closes Business In Tanzania Days After Suspending Operations In Cameroon by mitchyy(f): 8:08am On Nov 28, 2019
I know they can't shut down in Naija

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Access Bank, Remita Introduce Salary Advance Scheme / Tips And Tricks To Earn On Fiverr As A Nigerian / How To Pay Your International Tuition Fee With Central Bank Rate(cbn) In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.