Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:37 AM

Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients (36348 Views)

Doctors Share Alarming Stories Of Attack On Duty In Nigerian Hospitals / COVID-19 Vaccines Side Effects: Lagos Residents Share Their Experiences / Harassment From Male Doctors: Female Nurses/doctors, Share Your Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Iphran6: 5:37pm On Nov 28, 2019
Nigerians sha...later they will say doctors are wicked

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by DrWhizy(m): 5:37pm On Nov 28, 2019
grin grin grin

No be today sha. Had several experiences

The most painful was a child who needed to be taken to a tertiary center for an urgent dialysis after he had been given nonsense native drugs (as treatment for a possible meningitis)that had knocked off the kidneys. The distance between my facility and the tertiary center was much and they weren’t mobile. The child didn’t have much time and if they waited to get a vehicle (which would have been almost impossible at that time), the child would die. I offered to take them with my car, a risky venture because my fuel tank was in reserve and I had planned on refueling the next day. Luckily we arrived the tertiary center on time and i helped in providing vital info to my senior colleagues at the center. The problem became payment for the peritoneal dialysis. They didn’t have enough cash at hand and were pleading that it be done as they promised to pay the next day. To make it easier I lent the relatives a small sum of 14k which I luckily had on me; he also promised to pay back the next day as I left for my facility which was unmanned all this while. Unfortunately my fuel wouldn’t take me that far as the car stopped enroute. I trekked at that odd hour for an unimaginable distance as I didn’t even have a dime to get a bike (that’s if I find sef) and finally arrived. Till date I never saw mr x neither did I see my money. Got his number, called him and when he heard my voice he dropped and barred my number. grin Well, i know not to do such things again. I was just a Corp doctor trying to help.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by alsudaes1(m): 5:38pm On Nov 28, 2019
pocohantas:
Seems the major offence of patients is to abscond without making payments.

That's the major point raised by virtually all of them, MONEY!

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by seangy4konji: 5:39pm On Nov 28, 2019
Japaaa
Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by helpee(m): 5:44pm On Nov 28, 2019
alsudaes1:

You really don't understand. The major problem is always money. You need to do CT scan of 45k to properly diagnose a patient they tell you no money. You do your best to stabilise the patient without the test, they will say the treatment was sub standard and the hospital has no equipment. You refer them they will say you rejected them. You use your money and maybe the patient couldn't make it, they won't pay a dime and still fights you. In advanced economies, money is not a problem for the doctor. He needs CT scan he gets it done. He needs surgery he gets it done . So money is the main issue since the doctor is not getting funding in any other place....

NB...and do you by any chance assume this money we are talking about is the profit of the doctor? Oh no. It is essentially to get the patient well. If you have to do what an average doctor does in America to diagnose a stroke, you will spend at least one million. The doctor abroad don't care about this since someone is paying for it. This patient comes in the middle of the night in Nigeria without any money claiming no ATM and somehow expects a magic. The doctor refers...they will say he didn't do first aid. He rejected them.because of money. Do your best with what you have, they won't pay a dime by the morning. They will just say their uncle said they should bring the patient to the village.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by eleojo23: 5:45pm On Nov 28, 2019
alsudaes1:

So they should not ask for their money?

Didn't the patient's know that they will pay money before coming there?

It's better to find a way to settle the bills instead of running away. Hospitals are not charity organisations!
Somebody paid for all the drugs and equipments you see in the hospitals. Quality healthcare is not cheap..

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by jaxxy(m): 5:46pm On Nov 28, 2019
Long and short of these one sided stories, sm doctors are hero’s and Sm are villains... And Sm like to play god.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Dextre(m): 5:48pm On Nov 28, 2019
[quote author=philip0906 post=84449486]Nonsense!

Nigerian doctors are an incompetent lot. Outside the country, they excel because they have no options than to perform. But here in Nigeria, they think they're demi gods because they spent 7 years at the uni.

Sadly, they cause thousands of deaths yearly due to their incompetency and lackluster attitude.[/quote

You clearly have it in for naija docs.. No be u I just see inside another room dey abuse docs? Continue ehn,when u are done..print all ur receipts and go use it to collect money in the bank. Mtcheww

13 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by sholay2011(m): 5:50pm On Nov 28, 2019
eleojo23:

So they should not ask for their money?

Didn't the patient's know that they will pay money before coming there?

It's better to find a way to settle the bills instead of running away. Hospitals are not charity organisations!
Somebody paid for all the drugs and equipments you see in the hospitals. Quality healthcare is not cheap..
Well said.

One of the problems we have in Nigeria is sentimentality. We can't just be contractual on some issues with both parties fulfilling their obligations. As touching as it sounds that patients should not be "left to die" because they "simply don't have money", doctors should also not be left to suffer and cough up bills that patients should be responsible for (when there is no health insurance in place). No service is for free but my naija people will get emotional. How will a private hospital keep running if every patient rushed in 'with no money' is let go without paying their bills?

God help us.

5 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Emmaxy9(m): 5:51pm On Nov 28, 2019
philip0906:
Nonsense!

Nigerian doctors are an incompetent lot. Outside the country, they excel because they have no options than to perform. But here in Nigeria, they think they're demi gods because they spent 7 years at the uni.

Sadly, they cause thousands of deaths yearly due to their incompetency and lackluster attitude.

People like you my friend are one of the incompetent and fatuous elements of this country causing problems in Nigeria.
You said outside abroad they have no option than to perform? Do you really think doctors are slaves that just train and end up working all their lives for others? Do you think the conditions abroad are hostile like in Nigeria?
See, abroad there are different measures that ensure the smooth Running of the hospital. Eg. Health insurance.
A patient can't just come for free medical services. Or can you run to shoprite and collect food for free simply because you're dying of hunger? No.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Nmezor(f): 5:51pm On Nov 28, 2019
Hmmm, I can only imagine wat they go thru n it ain't cool one bit

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Ekpekus(m): 5:52pm On Nov 28, 2019
eleojo23:
These stories are real 'cos I've seen them happen.

Doctors are also humans.

After a doctor struggles to stabilise a dying patient, when it's time to pay, the relatives will come and say "what did you even do? is it not just drip that you gave her?"

Like seriously? Wetin doctors no go see for A&E? Chai....! sad
Na wetin vex me pass be this..

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 28, 2019
SmartyPants:
Medical insurance will solve all this.

No guarantee.a lot of hmos do not pay up on time.if you are attached to a.lousy hmo, you are Oyo.

4 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by tuoyoojo(m): 5:57pm On Nov 28, 2019
Many years ago when I worked in minna general hospital, I was on call when they bought in a guy who sustained an injury in his grion region.

The guy was shouting help me!help me! I don't have money but anything u spend I would pay u!

Out of sympathy, the little money I had I used to get drugs and sutured him up. The guy was stable. Two days later , I was not on call and I was just strolling In d hospital, suddenly I saw the dude walking out majestically. I accosted him and asked him. "Bros u don pay u hospital bill. Have u paid my money"?

The guy looked very embarrassed and returned back to his bed. The next day I was on call and I asked the nurse why his bed was empty. She said the guy absconded.

I just smiled. I was like see how ungrateful some people can be. That's life

10 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by mfm04622: 5:58pm On Nov 28, 2019
ornicus:

No guarantee.a lot of hmos do not pay up on time.if you are attached to a.lousy hmo, you are Oyo.

If you are not in public service, you have the right to change your HMO if they are not performing

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by dominique(f): 5:58pm On Nov 28, 2019
This is not even up to a tenth of what doctors go through in the hands of patients yet these patients are quick to rush to social media to paint colourful stories about how terrible Nigerian doctors are. They will say doctors should treat before collecting payment, do the doctors get their hospital supplies on credit? Don't they have bills and salaries to pay? Dont they have lives so live or will a doctor go to market with "I'll come back later to pay" in his pocket? My dad's late doctor cousin died in poverty because of his good nature of letting patients go without completing payment, some don't even pay at all. Soon word got out on the street about the nice doctor who treats before collecting payment and in most cases he discharges them after small begging, trust our Nigerian people to take advantage of it. In the end, his clinic suffered for it. Staff quit their jobs after they were owed countless salaries, the clinic eventually shut down. He slumped and died not too long after.

I will never blame any hospital for insisting on payment before treatment especially the private ones. Nigerians are experts at ruining people's businesses with debts.

26 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by alezzy13: 5:58pm On Nov 28, 2019
Starlight10:
A country with no medical aid for its citizens that are not under NHIS.

That's actually the problem. Until we get our acts together and get comprehensive health insurance coverage for our people, stories like these will still occur.

According to some figures I saw, we just about 5% coverage, which is a glowing embarrassment. embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Irore: 5:58pm On Nov 28, 2019
neweraomo:
Ok

Unfortunately, the experiences shared by the doctors are all about money and payment. I thought our concern should be courteous attention. I don't support not paying for services though.
The wicked owes and doesn't want to pay-The Holy Bible.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by philip0906(m): 5:59pm On Nov 28, 2019
Emmaxy9:

[s]People like you my friend are one of the incompetent and fatuous elements of this country causing problems in Nigeria.
You said outside abroad they have no option than to perform? Do you really think doctors are slaves that just train and end up working all their lives for others? Do you think the conditions abroad are hostile like in Nigeria?
See, abroad there are different measures that endlsure the smooth Running of the hospital. Eg. Health insurance.
A patient can't just come for free medical services. Or can you run to shoprite and collect food for free simply because you're dying of hunger? No. [/s]
Complete bullocks!

You people think it is everybody in Nigeria that is poor. Some of us can pay for quality healthcare, some of us have comprehensive healthcare packages from our work place...but you know what, we'll pass on that.

The news is littered daily with gross incompetence from Nigerian doctors who have either misdiagnosed or applied wrong treatment regimen in patients leading to deaths and all. Thousands of Nigerians loose their lives yearly to doctors gross incompetence.

The Nigerian doctor is an empty nut head who is more interested in the prestige his Dr tittle accords him/her than getting the job done the right way.

You think your president, lawmakers and wealthy Nigerians who go outside the country for proper healthcare are silly? I won't even go near Nigerian doctors for a simple diagnosis... Incompetent lots

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Correcto: 6:02pm On Nov 28, 2019
This thread is a prove that doctors are political. They fight Pharmacist, Nurse , Lab scientist and now their patient. I knew they will create a thread to counter the other patients' experiences towards doctors
ultron12345:
Recently, Nigerians have been sharing their experiences with Nigerian health professionals especially doctors. Doctors have in turn, decided to share their experiences at the hands of Nigerian patients.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by SmartyPants(m): 6:04pm On Nov 28, 2019
ornicus:

Yeah that is a potential issue but we simply have to become more litigious and get the government to regulate HMOs more strictly. If the system works well it would be a win for all.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Nobody: 6:05pm On Nov 28, 2019
philip0906:

Complete bullocks!

You people think it is everybody in Nigeria that is poor. Some of us can pay for quality healthcare, some of us have comprehensive healthcare packages from our work place...but you know what, we'll pass on that.

The news is littered daily with gross incompetence from Nigerian doctors who have either misdiagnosed or applied wrong treatment regimen in patients leading to deaths and all. Thousands of Nigerians loose their lives yearly to doctors gross incompetence.

The Nigerian doctor is an empty nut head who is more interested in the prestige his Dr tittle accords him/her than getting the job done the right way.

You think your president, lawmakers and wealthy Nigerians who go outside the country for proper healthcare are silly? I won't even go near Nigerian doctors for a simple diagnosis... Incompetent lots

Every profession has its incompetents. Tarring many for a few does not put you in a good light

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by ffo(m): 6:06pm On Nov 28, 2019
orion7:
a police man brought his son to the clinic. my reg dealt with him eh. he was looking for me(the consultant in charge)

he nor know say na me worst pass. grin
You are excited that you are worse off?? shocked

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Nobody: 6:07pm On Nov 28, 2019
SmartyPants:

Yeah that is a potential issue but we simply have to become more litigious and get the government to regulate HMOs more strictly. If the system works well it would be a win for all.

I am switching from my hmo ( Redcare) . The last six months, every partner has had issues with them. Dentist , optician, hospital.

3 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by Fentanyl: 6:07pm On Nov 28, 2019
[s]

Correcto:
This thread is a prove that doctors are political. They fight Pharmacist, Nurse , Lab scientist and now their patient. I knew they will create a thread to counter the other patients' experiences towards doctors

[/s]

utter nonsense

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by philip0906(m): 6:08pm On Nov 28, 2019
Fentanyl:

Empty head.
You should have countered it na, block head!

1 Like

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by midnighter(f): 6:08pm On Nov 28, 2019
In addition to all that, sometimes the insurance companies don't remit the money owed to the hospital and the doctor goes hungry

You can show up for treatment and they will turn you away citing payment disputes with your provider

Sometimes the doctor will confide in you that he hasn't been paid for months. O di mwute...

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients by armadeo(m): 6:10pm On Nov 28, 2019
SmartyPants:
Medical insurance will solve all this.

They won't pay and even if they did they would abuse it or someone will embezzle the money.

Nigeria has no hope joor.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Mortuary Rejects Man’s Corpse After Causing Commotion In Anambra / Bala Mohammed Authorises The Use Of Chloroquine For Treatment Of Coronavirus / My Experience As An Egg Donor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.