Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,106 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol (4572 Views)

American Idol (2009) Tonight / American Idol 2008 / American Idol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Orikinla(m): 8:55pm On May 24, 2007
Millions of Sparks of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins  2007 American Idol

America’s teenage population must have overwhelming voted for the pretty Jordin Sparks and that made her the youngest winner of the  American Idol,, even though she confessed that she has never had any formal singing training. Wow! See what sheer raw talent can do for a novice! And Jordin Sparks is basking in the limelight of fame and fortune at only 17!

American Idol. is a glorified Karaoke contest watched by millions of people in America and other parts of the world.

My favorite to win the American Idol Season 6, was Melinda Doolittle and she was actually the best singer in the finals.  But Jordin has turned out to be the choice of the majority of voters as she beat Blake Lewis in the grand finale.

The sponsors wanted em young, pretty and sexy enough to woo the gullible consumers.

Download This Is My Now (MP3) WINNING SONG!

The following is from a recent Jordin Sparks interview.

Favorite male pop artists?

John Mayer & Justin Timberlake

Favorite female pop artists?

Christina Timberlake

When did you first start to sing?

18 mos.

Do you have any formal singing training?

No.

What other talents do you have?

I can do accents really well.

If you don’t make it on AMERICAN IDOL, what will you do?

Keep pursuing music.

What are your personal goals in life?

My goals are to tell meaningful stories through songs and touch people’s lives… and hopefully make a living doing it.

What album would your friends be surprised you own?

Blake Shelton

Who is your AMERICAN IDOL?

Tony Dungy because he’s gone through so much and still holds his head high.

Do you have any rituals or things you do each time before you perform?

I pray and breathe.

Most embarrassing moments?

N/A

What has been your proudest moment in life so far?

Winning the “Overall Spotlight Winner” for the GMA Academy in 2004. And making the top 24 out of how many?

If you couldn’t sing, which talent would you most like to have?

To play piano by ear.

What is your definition of an AMERICAN IDOL?

Someone people of all ages can look up to.

Who is your favorite judge and why?

Simon, because he’s brutally honest and thinks I’m “sweet.”

What would people be surprised to learn about you?

How many genres of music I love! I love to sing it too! And I’m a football and basketball freak! Fav players? Larry Fitzgerald (Cardinals), Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire, Leandro Barbosa & Shawn Marion! (Phx Suns), Tiki Barber (NYG).

How has this changed your life?

It hasn’t that much… yet.

Do you have any lucky charms?

My cross pin with a music note.

Who are your heroes in life?

My heroes are just everyday people who work hard, are honest and have integrity.

What’s been your toughest obstacle in life?

Trying to get through math class.

Do you think the audition process was fair?

Yes. Everyone knows what they’re getting into.

If you win, who will you thank first?

God, mom, dad.

Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Seun(m): 10:14pm On May 24, 2007
I am not particularly impressed by Jordin Sparks. Her voice is not strong and not unique. I'm not feeling it.
Her voice is nothing special: she sounds just like Beyonce - slightly above average - but lacks the ability to perform.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Nobody: 11:13pm On May 24, 2007
@ Seun, its impossible to judge Jordin by merely listening to a few clips off the internet. If you followed the almost 4 month long show from begining to the end you might be in a better position to make an assessment.

@ Orikinla,
Without a doubt Melinda was the best singer hands down from day 1 to the very end but you've got to realise that it takes much more than singing talent to win. I was sure Jordin would win as far back as 1 month ago. She had everything;

- raw talent
- age (a mere 17, Melinda is 29!)
- sex appeal (you have to realise being inter-racial, she will be more marketable to a broader audience than Melinda - lets not kid ourselves, racism still exists and the producers must have been well aware).
- teenage appeal

The larger market for music is the younger teenage group who are easily captivated not only by talent but are also looking for a role model in the artists they patronise. Unlike Melinda, Jordin is the kind of girl every teenage girl wants to model herself after, the kind of girl every mother would secretly want her daughter to look like. Melinda at her age is not as marketable neither does she draw the crowd as well, that was the sole reason she lost out to Blake in the final 3.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by temmyabby(f): 11:22pm On May 24, 2007
cry cry Melinda was so perfect undecided i guess that why she didn't win
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Seun(m): 11:27pm On May 24, 2007
The larger market for music is the younger teenage group
Well I'm not in the younger teenage group, so I have a right to offer my own opinion. And I'm not impressed.
That voice lacks power. It's too weak. And it's not unique at all. Finally, the girl can hardly perform. Really.

@ Seun, its impossible to judge Jordin by merely listening to a few clips off the internet.
I watched the final on DSTV, and I was not impressed. At all. At least Blake was a phenomenal performer. The Judges were saying "oh" and "ah" but it's just a way of promoting her so that the gullible public will buy her album.

Melinda was so perfect i guess that why she didn't win
Melinda in the US, Jodie in West Africa. It's a pity that American Idol is just a cute TV show and not a talent contest.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by pmdaboh(f): 11:31pm On May 24, 2007
Hello from America.  I am in strong agreement with Seun.  My family and I have watched this season of American Idol from the beginning, and I was disapointed that Melinda did not win--not because she is an African American woman like me--but because, in my opinion, her voice was more diverse and unique as compared to Jordin.  In addition, Melinda, had GREAT stage presence.  Jordin has a nice and powerful voice, but she pretty much, with the exception of a few performances, stood behind the microphone and "belted out her songs!"    She is young and bubbly, and American voters decided that the 17 year old was going to win this season!  I never voted for her though.

Ironically though, I think "Blake" with his unique sound, ability to relate to the young people, will be much more marketable than Jordin or Melinda.  Taylor Hicks won last season, but he does not have the biggest hits out there.  That goes to show "everything that glitters is not always gold".  
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Seun(m): 11:47pm On May 24, 2007
thanks, pmdaboh. I actually liked Blake's second and third performances which the judges pretended to hate.

UPDATE: Hmmm. This Sanjaya guy is interesting. Reminds me of the Next Nollywood Star guy.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by monshege: 11:53pm On May 24, 2007
pmdaboh:

Hello from America. I am in strong agreement with Seun. My family and I have watched this season of American Idol from the beginning, and I was disapointed that Melinda did not win--not because she is an African American woman like me--but because, in my opinion, her voice was more diverse and unique as compared to Jordin. In addition, Melinda, had GREAT stage presence. Jordin has a nice and powerful voice, but she pretty much, with the exception of a few performances, stood behind the microphone and "belted out her songs!" She is young and bubbly, and American voters decided that the 17 year old was going to win this season! I never voted for her though.

Ironically though, I think "Blake" with his unique sound, ability to relate to the young people, will be much more marketable than Jordin or Melinda. Taylor Hicks won last season, but he does not have the biggest hits out there. That goes to show "everything that glitters is not always gold".

if you have been paying attention, you would realize that even simon said something about this. it is not a matter of who can sing good, other factors come into play. and as for melinda, we both knew she wasnt going to get the crown, however she has a great future in the music industry if everything works out well for her. America go for young, beautiful and bubbly, if not jordie and blake wont be compared to melinda and her friend who left the week before her. between jordie and blake though, jordie is better. with blake's voice, he wont be able to hold every high pitched song but then again-----whats my own?
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Nobody: 12:34am On May 25, 2007
the votes are a reflection of the market trend. Of course Melinda was the better singer but the people outside, those who will be doing the record buying are looking for much more than a talented voice.
Blake is not a fantastic singer, Phil Stacy and Chris Sligh had far better voices but Blake got to the final! Its all about marketability. Jordin had everything the singing industry is looking for.

Clay Aiken is far better than both Kelly Clarkson (who i think is poor IMO) and Carrie Underwood yet were is he today?
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Seun(m): 1:20am On May 25, 2007
Jordin had everything the singing industry is looking for.
But she (1) can't perform, (2) has a boring voice & (3) Is not even particularly beautiful (unlike Underwood).
But she was the best they had after the better performer(s) had been voted off. It's a pity she isn't very good.

I mean, check out the following performance by Melinda Doolittle: www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJA2IgF_6DQ
It's almost hypnotic. The voice is alive! It's not just some 17 year old kid reciting a song. Now that's music.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by adia(f): 1:32am On May 25, 2007
I am not particularly impressed by Jordin Sparks. Her voice is not strong and not unique. I'm not feeling it.
Her voice is nothing special: she sounds just like Beyonce - slightly above average - but lacks the ability to perform.

hmm, R u serious?
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Nobody: 1:35am On May 25, 2007
Seun:

But she (1) can't perform, (2) has a boring voice & (3) Is not even particularly beautiful (unlike Underwood).
But she was the best they had after the better performer(s) had been voted off. It's a pity she isn't very good.

I mean, check out the following performance by Melinda Doolittle: www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJA2IgF_6DQ
It's almost hypnotic. The voice is alive! It's not just some 17 year old kid reciting a song. Now that's music.

I still maintain you cant make base your judgement on a mere 2hr finale. Please if possible get tapes of the whole show and watch before you make erroneous statements.
If Jordin couldnt perform, had a boring voice she would have been voted off ages ago! She's not particularly beautiful?  shocked Are you kidding me? She was the best looking girl on the whole show!

Of course the closing song after she was announced winner wasnt good because she was overcome with emotion. Besides by the final day, she and blake were no longer singing to win votes, the votes had been decided based on the previous days perfomance. A perfomance you missed.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Nobody: 1:36am On May 25, 2007
adia:

hmm, R u serious?

my dear, i am also wondering whether we were watching the same Jordin Sparks. That you say Jordin sounded just like Beyonce alone makes it evident you have no clue besides the mere 2 hr finale you saw and then suddenly base your judgement on. the girl who sang most like Beyonce was Stephanie Edwards!
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by OmoEko1(f): 1:37am On May 25, 2007
I didn’t get the chance to watch the show this year and moreover I heard it was boring beautiful they didn’t have enough good singers unlike the other seasons. But when I saw Melinda last performance before she was kicked off the show I thought she was the best, she has the unique in her that sounded great, I was so disappointed when she was voted the show. And early this week in the News they wanted to know why Melinda was off the show but we all know why. However

I thought Jordin performance was terrible even Samuel said so, she only won because she was skinny with a long hair and looks mix, her voice is so terrible and not feeling it angry angry angry angry
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Nobody: 1:40am On May 25, 2007
Omo Eko:

I didn’t get the chance to watch the show this year and moreover I heard it was boring beautiful they didn’t have enough good singers unlike the other seasons. But when I saw Melinda last performance before she was kicked off the show I thought she was the best, she has the unique in her that sounded great, I was so disappointed when she was voted the show. And early this week in the News they wanted to know why Melinda was off the show but we all know why. However

I thought Jordin performance was terrible even Samuel said so, she only won because she was skinny with a long hair and looks mix, her voice is so terrible and not feeling it angry angry angry angry

nuff said!
Who is Samuel?
Melinda wasnt kicked of the show for racism if that is what you are trying to imply. Girls whiter than Jordin were voted off even before Sanjaya! Besides Melinda is 29!!! sometimes age counts!
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Seun(m): 1:41am On May 25, 2007
Prove me wrong. Make me take back my words. Post a link to a brilliant clip performed by Jordin Sparks. Oya.

Why was Melinda Sparks voted out? Because for some reason, she didn't get enough votes.
That's the weakness of American Idols as a talent competition. Age is not the issue - Are Celine Dion,
Janet Jackson, and Madonna not old? Good music is good music. It makes your ears go "wooo!" smiley
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Nobody: 1:56am On May 25, 2007
Seun:

Prove me wrong. Make me take back my words. Post a link to a brilliant clip performed by Jordin Sparks. Oya.

Why was Melinda Sparks voted out? Because for some reason, she didn't get enough votes.
That's the weakness of American Idols as a talent competition. Age is not the issue - Are Celine Dion,
Janet Jackson, and Madonna not old?
Good music is good music. It makes your ears go "wooo!" smiley

Are Britney Spears, Gwen Steffani, Jessica Simpson, Ashley Simpson really good singers? Have your ears ever gone woooo when you hear their teenage excuse that passes for hip hop these days? No. But they've got the figure, they are white, young, with passable singing voices and voila America likes them.

That is the reason a 29 yr old Melinda had no chance.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by OmoEko1(f): 1:58am On May 25, 2007
davidylan:

nuff said!
Who is Samuel?
Melinda wasnt kicked of the show for racism if that is what you are trying to imply. Girls whiter than Jordin were voted off even before Sanjaya! Besides Melinda is 29!!! sometimes age counts!
I meant[b] Simon smiley [/b]

Age has nothing to do with it, the reason why Jordin won was because she's pretty grin grin grin which I don't think she is nor can she sing like Melinda, in fact the guy should have won instead of her
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Nobody: 2:04am On May 25, 2007
Blake should have won? Yeah understandable coming from someone who didnt actually watch the show. grin grin
Chris Sligh had the best male voice, he didnt even get as far as the top 6!
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Nobody: 2:05am On May 25, 2007
@ Omo Eko,
if its true you meant Simon then it means you dont know what you are talking about. Simon mentioned TWICE on tuesday and Wednesday that Jordin would win based on Tuesdays perfomance!
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Seun(m): 2:13am On May 25, 2007
Are Britney Spears, Gwen Steffani, Jessica Simpson, Ashley Simpson really good singers?
Britney Spears: I don't know whether it's her real voice, but her songs sound really nice, and she performs well.
Gwen Steffani: I love her because she can perform. I love her crazy makeup. I love watching her on TV.
Jessica Simpson: She's a disgrace to the music industry, but her plastic surgeon is a miracle worker.
Ashley Simpson: She's a disgrace to the music industry, period. grin

But Jordin Sparks: she can't perform, she isn't so pretty, her voice is neither unique nor great, so I'm not impressed.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Nobody: 2:23am On May 25, 2007
i hear you o Seun, many parents would kill to have a daughter like Jordin, at least i'm praying for one. grin
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Seun(m): 2:25am On May 25, 2007
I don't mind having her as a daughter too, but I won't buy her records. I'll send her to medical school or something. grin
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by neelsel(f): 2:29am On May 25, 2007
Jordin my foot.
she won due to the fact that her father was famous, she is mixed and according to the media she is 17(looks 25 to me),

The true winner of AI is Melinda Dolittle, Keep faith girly, Reuben won, he made the cover of Jet, Clay didn't he made Rolling Stones and made millions,
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by obonyunmi(f): 2:32am On May 25, 2007
'Space flight' for Nigerian girl at 17

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5364722.stm

Una stay here dey chop eba dey write nonsense.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Nobody: 2:36am On May 25, 2007
Seun:

I don't mind having her as a daughter too, but I won't buy her records. I'll send her to medical school or something. grin

see this yeye man. i thought Jordin had no voice and wasnt even beautiful grin

neelsel:

Jordin my foot.
she won due to the fact that her father was famous, she is mixed and according to the media she is 17(looks 25 to me),

The true winner of AI is Melinda Dolittle, Keep faith girly, Reuben won, he made the cover of Jet, Clay didn't he made Rolling Stones and made millions,

How many people knew about Jordin's father's alleged fame?
Mixed? What about the white girls who were booted out before Sanjaya? Were they black?
She looks 25? My dear, this is America where things can be easily verified. i wonder what a 17yr is supposed to look like.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by neelsel(f): 2:42am On May 25, 2007
davidylan:

How many people knew about Jordin's father's alleged fame?
Mixed? What about the white girls who were booted out before Sanjaya? Were they black?
She looks 25? My dear, this is America where things can be easily verified. i wonder what a 17yr is supposed to look like.

Where were you at the Preliminaries when all the judges kept lamenting about was the fact that she is so and so daughter,

Sanjaya ROCKS!! those White Britney wannabes didn't.

And again, yes she looks 25, Alicia Keys claimed when she won her first Grammy she was what? I think 21, yet she was in Eight grade with the sister of one of my co-workers who was 24 when gave that age (maybe it was in Yen) Verfity as much as you like,  This is America where you can alter anything fake to look authentic,
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by obonyunmi(f): 2:44am On May 25, 2007
una two make me laugh - una dey hate now because una be nobody.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Nobody: 2:45am On May 25, 2007
neelsel:

Where were you at the Pre-liminaries when all the judges kept lamenting about was the fact that she is so and so daughter,

and you think 70million Americans kept that in their memories for the next 3 months?

neelsel:

Sanjaya ROCKS!! those White Brittney want to-bes didn't,

Based on what? At least Jordin was vocally better.

neelsel:

And again, yes she looks 25, Alicia Keys claimed when she won her first Grammy she was what? I think 21, yet she was in Eight grade with the sister of one of my co-workers who was 24 when gave that age (maybe it was in Yen) Verfity as much as you like, This is America where you can alter anything fake to look authentic,

She looks 25? No wahala, at least she won AI.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by neelsel(f): 2:50am On May 25, 2007
davidylan:

She looks 25? No wahala, at least she won AI.

You were saying

Back to the topic, she won, truth is she cannot sing,

Jennifer Hudson should be the role model for all those talented people who got voted out because they did not confine to what the USA deemed "marketable",
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Nobody: 2:57am On May 25, 2007
neelsel:

Jennifer Hudson should be the role model for all those talented people who got voted out because they did not confine to what the USA deemed "marketable",

That is the most important aspect. Taylor Hicks won last yr but we are only buying Elliot Yamin and Chris Daugtry's cd's.
Re: Millions Of Sparks Of Jubilation As Jordin Sparks Wins 2007 American Idol by Iman3(m): 3:07am On May 25, 2007
I can't help but marvel at the depth of knowledge you people have about this stuff. cheesy I saw Sparks on TV and she said the ring she is wearing denotes her committment to abstinence till marriage.Kudos to her! cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shola Arikusa Part 3 / Download [kubo And The Two Strings] Full Movie HD!! / Sponsor My Movie And Gain It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.