Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,036 members, 7,807,114 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator (4616 Views)

Please Help: Extreme Fuel Consumption On Acura MDX With 2007 With 145,000 Miles / What Kind Of Camry Is This? / What Are The Causes Of Spark Plug Soaked With Oil? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by haslaw(m): 7:21am On Nov 29, 2019
Good morning house,

I have a challenge, my brother’s car (Toyota Camry 2007) has an engine problem and the mechanics have been unable to fix it. Water always disappears from the radiator without us knowing where the water goes. Two weeks ago, water droplets were noticed on the engine oil dipstick. The mechanics that looked at it claimed it was the head gasket and my brother paid for the gasket to be changed but unfortunately the problem became worse because not only was there still water on the engine oil dipstick, engine oil was also found to be floating in the radiator.

I decided to bring this issue to the gurus in the house for possible diagnosis and solution. Any suggestion(s) would be welcomed.

Thanks

Cc: AutoMoTech Autologic carmartng GAZZUZZ
MotoGuru radautoworks Legitportal Godspower35 gummi21
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by bluebay(m): 7:34am On Nov 29, 2019
The gasket is leaking sir ..
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by autologic: 7:56am On Nov 29, 2019
Find out why the headgasket got broken in the first instance cos headgasket will not got broken unless there is a hidden fault and it until fault is discovered and removed you can go ahead to perform a successful engine rebuild or else it still back to square one .
Also the extent of warpage to the cylinder due to the overheating need to be ascertained so that proper corrective action will need to be taken in course of engine rebuild work .
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by radautoworks: 8:06am On Nov 29, 2019
haslaw:
Good morning house,

I have a challenge, my brother’s car (Toyota Camry 2007) has an engine problem and the mechanics have been unable to fix it. Water always disappears from the radiator without us knowing where the water goes. Two weeks ago, water droplets were noticed on the engine oil dipstick. The mechanics that looked at it claimed it was the head gasket and my brother paid for the gasket to be changed but unfortunately the problem became worse because not only was there still water on the engine oil dipstick, engine oil was also found to be floating in the radiator.

I decided to bring this issue to the gurus in the house for possible diagnosis and solution. Any suggestion(s) would be welcomed.

Thanks

It's the head gasket. It just wasn't correctly repaired. They need to use the right gasket and have a GOOD shop shave the heads properly.
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by haslaw(m): 9:05am On Nov 29, 2019
bluebay:
The gasket is leaking sir ..

Thanks.. That's what everyone is saying...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:06am On Nov 29, 2019
haslaw:
Good morning house,

Thanks

confirm if the condition started with over heating.

Confirm if there is a history of head gasket change

Confirm if engine is V6 or 4cylinder
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by haslaw(m): 9:07am On Nov 29, 2019
autologic:
Find out why the headgasket got broken in the first instance cos headgasket will not got broken unless there is a hidden fault and it until fault is discovered and removed you can go ahead to perform a successful engine rebuild or else it still back to square one .
Also the extent of warpage to the cylinder due to the overheating need to be ascertained so that proper corrective action will need to be taken in course of engine rebuild work. .

OK.. we'll do as you say.. thanks for the advice.

What exactly is this engine rebuild.
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by haslaw(m): 9:21am On Nov 29, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

The condition didn't start with overheating.
The gasket has never been changed.
The engine is 4cylider.
Though the gasket that was removed was warped slightly.
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by AutoMoTech(m): 9:36am On Nov 29, 2019
haslaw:
Good morning house,

Thanks

i am in support of Gazzuzz and Radautoworks.
in addition to fixing the head gasket PROPERLY pls check the rest of your cooling system. considering all the issues that has happened, some parts in the cooling system might need to be changed.
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:53am On Nov 29, 2019
haslaw:

The engine is 4cylider.
Though the gasket that was removed was warped slightly.

Google stripped bolt 2az-fe. Toyota

3 threads at the back of the block have stripped, replacing gaskets with original metal or graphite will not solve problem.

Engine needs to visit a machine shop for repair of the threads on the block.

http://youdiyauto..com/2013/08/toyota-2az-fe-stripped-block-threads.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by bluebay(m): 10:06am On Nov 29, 2019
haslaw:

Thanks.. That's what everyone is saying...
Also, I'll advice you to check the water pump too.. either the seal is bad too or something wrong.with the mechanism . Just change the gasket and water pump too.
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by haslaw(m): 10:07am On Nov 29, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

The engine is 4cylider.
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:37am On Nov 29, 2019
haslaw:

The engine is 4cylider.

GAZZUZZ:

3 threads at the back of the block have stripped, replacing gaskets with original metal or graphite will not solve problem.

Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by haslaw(m): 1:08pm On Nov 29, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

Thanks so much... I really appreciate this.

1 Like

Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by Smartwave: 12:07am On Dec 04, 2019
Please, check your Gear box before you loose your Gear.

#####$$ It happens to a friend last month.

Their is a pipe from radiator to gear box. ( The water is meant to cool the gear box but if the net in between is weak?? )

The same problem.

Please let your mechanic check it, that water is going directly inside your Gear box.

1 Like

Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by Smartwave: 12:13am On Dec 04, 2019
haslaw:
Good morning house,

Thanks

My friend have the issue, same engine but Highlander.

That water is going directly inside Gear box.

Their a pipe from radiator to gear box.

That is the where problem lies.

It was removed completely and another radiator was fixed, that is all. It near condemned his gear box.
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by MotorGuru: 7:41am On Dec 04, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

Sir, this is the problem affecting your vehicle.

Follow the suggestion as stated by Gazzuzz and you will be fine.
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by haslaw(m): 8:16am On Dec 04, 2019
MotorGuru:

Sir, this is the problem affecting your vehicle.

Follow the suggestion as stated by Gazzuzz and you will be fine.

WE had the mechanics look at the threads and they were OK. The gasket was changed again and the issues still persisted.

Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by haslaw(m): 8:17am On Dec 04, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

WE had the mechanics look at the threads and they were OK. The gasket was changed again and the issues still persisted.

Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by MotorGuru: 10:16am On Dec 04, 2019
haslaw:

Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Then you may have a cracked engine block
the crack may be internal

Did you also drain your oil to check the condition of the oil?

2 Likes

Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by AutoMoTech(m): 5:39pm On Dec 04, 2019
haslaw:

Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated
before going through all this stress did you atleast perform a cooling system pressure test?
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by AerialMapper: 6:55pm On Dec 04, 2019
1. Whats water doing in your radiator?

Temperatures in your engine can reach 1500 degrees centigrade. What temperature does water boil at?

How can you then efficiently use a substance that boils at 100 degrees centigrade to cool and engine that runs at very high temperatures.

Using water was the root cause which then led to the stripped bolts. When you repair your engine, stick to the recommended coolant

1 Like

Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by radautoworks: 8:05pm On Dec 04, 2019
AerialMapper:

Temperatures in your engine can reach 1500 degrees centigrade. What temperature does water boil at?

How can you then efficiently use a substance that boils at 100 degrees centigrade to cool and engine that runs at very high temperatures.

Using water was the root cause which then led to the stripped bolts. When you repair your engine, stick to the recommended coolant

I said exactly this to the young ladies the Society Of Women Engineers brought for a field day today. It was a simple concept for them to grasp

1 Like

Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by thebigkendo(m): 9:17pm On Dec 04, 2019
AerialMapper:

Bolded is not entirely correct sir..

Water in engine cooling system won't even boil at 100degC...

So many other things can cause overheating

2 Likes

Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by Inception(m): 10:44pm On Dec 04, 2019
AerialMapper:

radautoworks:

I said exactly this to the young ladies the Society Of Women Engineers brought for a field day today. It was a simple concept for them to grasp

No Sir/Ma
The stripped bolts issue was a manufacturing defect that affected some early production 1AZ and 2AZ engines. It has nothing to do with the kind of coolant used

Secondly , water can be used in a vehicle cooling system , but it has to be distilled water and the climate must not be temperate. This is because the cooling system is pressurized. So the engine operating temperature and water correlation does not hold water (pun intended) . there are a lot of design considerations and parameters involved ( coolant flow rate , thermal conductivity of engine block/ cylinder head, rate of heat dissipation due to forced convection etc). Tap water is hard water and can cause calcium deposits inncoolant passage ways and even cause long term damage to water pump bearings.

The coolant we use( recommended by the vehicle manufacturer BTW) is simply chemicals and compounds added to distilled water that helps in improving the specific heat capacity and permit a much wider range of operating temperatures ( winter starting to prevent the coolant from freezing and expanding in the engine block that can cause catastrophic damage, for example. ) it also helps in protecting the engine material from corrosion.

4 Likes

Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by AutoMoTech(m): 10:44pm On Dec 04, 2019
thebigkendo:

Bolded is not entirely correct sir..

Water in engine cooling system won't even boil at 100degC...

So many other things can cause overheating
Exactly... Considering the radiator cap raises the pressure of the water, the water in a properly functioning cooling system will never boil as is boiling point would have been raised due to the pressure build up.
OP kindly start with the simplest things
1. Find a tech that knows his stuff.
2. Pressurize the system. Check for leaks or a drop in pressure.
3. Inspect radiator cap.
4. Inspect hoses while vehicle idles at operating temperature.
5. Check your gear oil and engine oil to be sure water is not leaking into the engine ir transmission.

Atleast start with these first

1 Like

Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by AutoMoTech(m): 10:46pm On Dec 04, 2019
Inception:

No sir.
The stripped bolts issue was a manufacturing defect that affected some early production 1AZ and 2AZ engines. It has nothing to do with the kind of coolant used

Secondly , water can be used in a vehicle cooling system , but it has to be distilled water and the climate must not be temperate. This is because the cooling system is pressurized. So the engine operating temperature and water correlation does not hold water (pun intended) . there are a lot of design considerations and parameters involved ( coolant flow rate , thermal conductivity of engine block/ cylinder head, rate of heat dissipation due to forced convection etc)

The coolant we use( recommended by the vehicle manufacturer BTW) is simply chemicals and compounds added to distilled water that helps in improving the specific heat capacity and permit a much wider range of operating temperatures ( winter starting to prevent the coolant from freezing and expanding in the engine block that can cause catastrophic damage, for example. )

Gbam!!! U deserve a nobel slap award sir...
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by AerialMapper: 7:28am On Dec 05, 2019
Inception:

No Sir/Ma

Secondly , water can be used in a vehicle cooling system , but it has to be distilled water and the climate must not be temperate. This is because the cooling system is pressurized. So the engine operating temperature and water correlation does not hold water (pun intended) . there are a lot of design considerations and parameters involved ( coolant flow rate , thermal conductivity of engine block/ cylinder head, rate of heat dissipation due to forced convection etc). Tap water is hard water and can cause calcium deposits inncoolant passage ways and even cause long term damage to water pump bearings.

The coolant we use( recommended by the vehicle manufacturer BTW) is simply chemicals and compounds added to distilled water that helps in improving the specific heat capacity and permit a much wider range of operating temperatures ( winter starting to prevent the coolant from freezing and expanding in the engine block that can cause catastrophic damage, for example. ) it also helps in protecting the engine material from corrosion.

It is a manufacturing defect aggravated by inefficient cooling as a result of using the wrong coolant!!! Keep on using water; distilled or otherwise “eventuarry “ your engine will correct you! I hope you also know that water encourages rust and that the coolant actually also lubricates your water pump and prevents rust.

Just read that you correctly stated that anti corrosion properties but i also insist that water is a poor coolant!
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by radautoworks: 7:30am On Dec 05, 2019
Inception:

No Sir/Ma

I'm not talking about the bolts. All I'm saying to you is that plain water cannot dissipate heat as efficiently as coolant can. I disagree with your statement above. Plain and simple water cannot do the job. I don't care what climate you are in, it can't.

We can go back and forth about this all day or if you're in Lagos you can simply bring the car to the shop and we'll tell you the problem after seeing it since your current mechanic can't.
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by MotorGuru: 8:11am On Dec 05, 2019
AerialMapper:

It is a manufacturing defect aggravated by inefficient cooling as a result of using the wrong coolant!!! Keep on using water; distilled or otherwise “eventuarry “ your engine will correct you! I hope you also know that water encourages rust and that the coolant actually also lubricates your water pump and prevents rust.

Just read that you correctly stated that anti corrosion properties but i also insist that water is a poor coolant!

Oga, people used the correct coolant (Toyota long life coolant) and still had the problem of stripped bolt. I know of people who have used tap water for years in the 1AZ/2AZ engine with their thermostat intact and never for once did they suffer overheating/stripped headbolt problems.

The issue of stripped head-bolt was simply a manufacturing defect as (in most cases) the 3 bolt threads close to the intake side of the cylinder block was not threaded properly, hence when the engine obtained a threshold number of power strokes (engine running cycles), the clamping force at that side became compromised.
So it had nothing to do with the coolant type used.

kindly read below the TSB from Toyota as regards the issue and enjoy!

http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/Toyota-TSB-0015-11.pdf
Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by Inception(m): 8:42am On Dec 05, 2019
radautoworks:

I'm not talking about the bolts. All I'm saying to you is that plain water cannot dissipate heat as efficiently as coolant can. I disagree with your statement above. Plain and simple water cannot do the job. I don't care what climate you are in, it can't.

We can go back and forth about this all day or if you're in Lagos you can simply bring the car to the shop and we'll tell you the problem after seeing it since your current mechanic can't.

Radu, If you go through my comments again as a rebuttal to the person i quoted, i only stated the the ability and possibility to use water in coolant systems without suffering the debilitating effects of engine overheating. And i also tried to clarify the nonsense that premixed Coolant has to be used because an engine is running at a temperature of 1500 deg.C ( This temperature is within the combustion chamber and remember the water flows round the external sides of the combustion cylinder like a cooling jacket and has no direct contact with the combustion chamber, and because the cooling system is pressurized, the boiling point of water is increased, making it impossible to boil{think of the operating principles of a pressure cooker}, of course with the help of applying thermodynamic principles such as coolant flow-rate, forced convection etc.). Water can serve as a coolant but should only be used in a short term e.g when checking for/ repairing leaks.

The invaluable benefits of using premixed coolants( as per manufacturer's spec ) cannot be overemphasized.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Water Disappearing In Radiator Of Camry 2007 With Oil Found In Radiator by AutoMoTech(m): 9:09am On Dec 05, 2019
Inception:

Radu, If you go through my comments again as a rebuttal to the person i quoted, i only stated the the ability and possibility to use water in coolant systems without suffering the debilitating effects of engine overheating. And i also tried to clarify the nonsense that premixed Coolant has to be used because an engine is running at a temperature of 1500 deg.C ( This temperature is within the combustion chamber and remember the water flows round the external sides of the combustion cylinder like a cooling jacket and has no direct contact with the combustion chamber, and because the cooling system is pressurized, the boiling point of water is greatly reduced{think of the operating principles of a pressure cooker}, of course with the help of applying thermodynamic principles such as coolant flow-rate, forced convection etc.). Water can serve as a coolant but should only be used in a short term e.g when checking for/ repairing leaks.

The invaluable benefits of using premixed coolants( as per manufacturer's spec ) cannot be overemphasized.

I will take distilled water over all this plenty adulterated coolants everywhere. Many of them are just colored water... No anti-freeze whatever there

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toyota Camry Jerking While Climbing Uphill / Toyota Corolla 2007 Vs Corolla Altis 2007 / How Durable Is Hyundai Sonata 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.