Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea (39152 Views)

The Thorny Path To Italy- A Novel By Akíntayo Akinjide / The Hole In The Wall / Grabbing The Hot Gate ( A Paranormal Novel) By Akintayo Akinjide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by oghenekome51(f): 9:27am On Feb 05, 2020
Thanks Culin! Please don't give up on us....hmm
I know it really bad when ders no one or less persons to motivate you...but trust me, ur story is very standard!
Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by KpagoGIN(m): 10:09am On Feb 05, 2020
Present Culin…..nice job you doing.
Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Culin(f): 10:39am On Feb 05, 2020
oghenekome51:
Thanks Culin! Please don't give up on us....hmm
I know it really bad when ders no one or less persons to motivate you...but trust me, ur story is very standard!

Thank you so much for the kind words! They mean alot.

1 Like

Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Culin(f): 10:40am On Feb 05, 2020
KpagoGIN:
Present Culin…..nice job you doing.

smiley Thanks a million.
Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by ADUKKY(f): 11:57am On Feb 05, 2020
Good job @Culin. Keep the updates flowing.
Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Culin(f): 5:27pm On Feb 05, 2020
ADUKKY:
Good job @Culin. Keep the updates flowing.

Ahn ahn grin now you people are talking. Haba. Thanks my dear.
Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by adeboizy11(m): 6:14pm On Feb 06, 2020
You have no equal at all. I believe say na from birth, no be say you learn am. I'm already a big fan of you my lady������
Looking forward to the remaining chapters. Please you can copy and paste to my whatsapp ooo 0.7.0.6.8.7.3.4.0.0.2. I can't wait again to read more of your write ups. Keep shining gurl, just shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

Culin:
For those who may be wondering. Any text in italics (like the text above) represent thoughts. Whenever you see that, it means a character is thinking.

CHAPTER NINE - The Lies You tell

"The love we give away is the only love we keep." - Elbert Hubbard

Song 'Wait' - By Maroon 5

ENITAN

Seated in the dimly lit room next to the medicine store, I watched as the man who introduced himself as the doctor arranged some tools with an impassive look. My hands trembled as he handed me the worn-out plastic gown and entered an adjoining room I assumed was the theatre.

I stood up to change into the gown, but my legs sank back into the wooden chair - like they weighed a metric tonne. My stomach churned, and I struggled not to puke on the cement floor.

Dear God, please give me a sign if you want me to keep this child.
Had the situation been a funny one, I'd have laughed at the ludicrous prayer.

I was drawn to the pattering of footsteps as the front door slid open.

"Enitan!"

Nathan? How?

Adrenaline surging within me, I walked to the conjoining door and, before I could confirm his identity, he pulled in a hug and I buried myself further.

Oh God. You sent me a sign.

"Babe! Please tell me you haven't-" He didn't finish before I bobbled my head, too weak to speak.

Minutes after I settled in his car, I felt less nauseous, relaxed. But every statement and question of his got me riled.
I needed to get out, somewhere far away from him. But he had his own plans, refusing to let me out.

Calm down and breathe. Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale - Argh! I hate you Nathan.

'His house'? The nerve!

I'd only look stupid if I yelled over the deafening blast of Burna boy's 'On the low' playing from his car's sound system. So I cursed and grumbled in my head.

We left the bustling suburb behind. As we drove into the quiet estate of white flat-roofed duplexes, separated by short fences and black slatted steel gates, he parked in front of his apartment, unbuckled the seatbelt and turned to me.

"So," he said, shifting in his seat.

So?

He opened the door and dropped a foot out. "Are you coming along?"

Coming along? I never wanted to come here in the first place!

I folded my arms across my chest, making no attempt to exit the car. He withdrew his stretched foot into the car, cupped my jaw with his large hands, tilted my head and adjusted my gaze towards his hypnotic eyes.

Not today Nathan, don't look at me that way.

I turned away, but he held it again. This time, gently while his thumb stroked my cheek, spreading warmth to my face.

"I'm sorry, I had to bring you here. I just want us to talk and take care of this together."

I gave a throaty laugh. "Now you want to 'talk and take care of it together'? What happened to 'this is more complicated than you can understand'?" My fingers threw air quotes.

"A baby is now involved! Look, Eni- can we at least go in and get you settled in first? I have some important business to handle at 'FoxTrap'. I promise we'll talk about this when I get back."

I became agitated. Why should he mess with my emotions? He got engaged to another woman, abandoned me in the hospital only to show up three weeks later, asking for a chance. Then disappeared to start his marriage rights the following week. Now he had me sitting in front of his driveway against my will, talking about going to work when he planned to keep me away from mine.

"What do you want from me Nathan? What?" I asked, in a whisper.

"Babe-"

He leaned towards me, but I recoiled, instinctively. That didn't stop him from drawing closer, though. Watching his face close to mine, his lips now inches away from my eyes, I heard his slow-paced breath. Could he hear mine too? It would be embarrassing if he knew my chest thumped - that he still had a hold on me after all I'd suffered. I held my breath, struggled not to visibly inhale the sweet rose fragrance of his cologne.

What is wrong with me? Hanging out with him for long always turned out a bad idea. He should have dropped me off hours ago when I was in a state of shock. Now, I couldn't stop noticing his beautiful form. I just needed to focus on the chaos my life had become. He was the cause of my problems, he put me in this mess.

"-For now all I want is for you to go inside, have a warm bath and a good rest until I return." The door to my side suddenly pushed open, my seatbelt unhooked. He smiled and moved back, adjusted his shirt sleeves and alighted the car. I released a deep breath. A second extra, I'd have needed a defibrillator.

"Asshole," I muttered. Good-looking asshole.

I alighted the car and matched his steps. Cool air and the familiar scent of lavender hit me the moment I stepped into the house. Memories flooded my mind, shattering my heart.

Standing in the living room, I felt unwelcomed, a complete stranger, even though nearly all my weekends and holidays were spent here. I paused to admire the way the brightly lit chandelier illuminated the large lilac walls and grey drapes, like I'd never seen the beautiful sight before.

"Come." He held my hand and led me upstairs. I followed him like a puppet. "You know, I never unpacked your clothes from the closet. Maureen had them all wrapped up in plastic garment bags," he said, when we arrived the lounge upstairs.

Why did the discovery that he kept my wears excite me?

"But if they don't fit, you can use my shirts and sweatpants for now-"

I tilted my head and gave him a quizzical look. "Are you calling me fat?"

"What!" He paused, looking confused. Then he raised his hands. "No, no," he stuttered, "I mean- just in case of baby weight-" he laughed nervously, an act which earned him a harder stare.

Merely two months gone, he called me fat!

"Does it even matter? To me, you'll always be beautiful and perfect, even if you do become fat," he said, raising my chin to meet his gaze.

Almost swooning, I reminded myself of reality. He only brought me here because I carried his child. I needed to focus on my life which was a disaster. I'd always dreamt of a perfect life - a good job, a loving husband who'd pamper me throughout my pregnancies. One who'd be the best father to my kids. But here I was, way off course. A potential babymama, discussing weight gain with my soon-to-be married ex and babydaddy.

"Yeah, it doesn't matter. What do I care anyway?" I replied, dejected.

"Ok. I'll see you in a few hours. Food will be delivered to you in a short while." He rushed down the stairs, after which I sank into the plum furniture.

Oh no! Which room did he intend for me to stay? He ran off before I asked the awkward question. I laughed at the idea of sharing the master bedroom with him.

He would be getting married in four weeks. Take your clothes from his room and find your way to where babymamas belong.

I walked into his room, my bare feet enjoying the feel of the lush rug. My eyes wandered towards the large platform bed covered in grey sheets and duvet. My eyes turned away, burnt by images and memories best forgotten. I ran to the walk-in closet, searched some compartment till I found my clothes, packed a few and made to leave.

But something elsewhere drew my attention. Unthinkingly, I walked towards it.

A pair of lingerie that weren't mine hung loosely from one of the compartments of the closet. I gently lifted the clothes on the shelf, gowns, shirts and thongs came into view. My eyes lazily moved to nearby compartments, where a strawberry perfume, makeup pouch and other feminine items sat. I knew, without a doubt, they belonged to Annabelle, his wife-to-be.

Liar.

He claimed he would be marrying her against his will, yet he had her sleeping over at his place, when all the while, I laid in agony on the bed of the hospital.

You're just the babymama, focus on yourself and your baby. Not his kind gestures.

I walked out of the room without a second glance, towards the farthest guest room. We'll have the talk he so wanted whenever he returned. Then, I'd get my life back together and move on just the way he had moved on.
Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Culin(f): 9:12pm On Feb 06, 2020
adeboizy11:
You have no equal at all. I believe say na from birth, no be say you learn am. I'm already a big fan of you my lady������
Looking forward to the remaining chapters. Please you can copy and paste to my whatsapp ooo 0.7.0.6.8.7.3.4.0.0.2. I can't wait again to read more of your write ups. Keep shining gurl, just shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

I legiiiit smiled when I saw this. Thank you, thank you, thank you! With this comment I may end up updating on sunday. tongue

1 Like

Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by adeboizy11(m): 12:26am On Feb 07, 2020
Legit I'm not joking. I've been lowkey reading all these while even my conscience had started judging me for not just giving a shout out that you deserve.
Culin:

I legiiiit smiled when I saw this. Thank you, thank you, thank you! With this comment I may end up updating on sunday. tongue
Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by millieademi: 12:42am On Feb 07, 2020
Hi dear...

I swear you have a knack for cutting it off at the best part. You've promised to update on Sunday sha. We patiently await.

As per lack of morale and little to no interaction from your readers. I think it's a Nairaland culture. It was the same for me when I started out.

I'll tell you what someone told me.

There are three types of readers on Nairaland:

Guests who read and leave, registered folk who read and leave and registered folk who finally comment.

Baby girl, as selfish as this sounds because I love updates, I'd say write on.We, your fans, we gat you. The comments will come that you wouldn't know where to start replying them from. Trust me.

Just keep writing. Write because you love it because when the external motivation comes and they are clamoring for updates at times writing seems ridiculous, it's your love for writing and maybe us that will strengthen you. P.S. I love your work.

And I feel Nate is being a selfish pain in the ass, taking advantage of Eni's condition and her love for him. At least it's my opinion.
Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Ann2012(f): 7:57am On Feb 07, 2020
I'm really short of words, is Nathan already sleeping with Annabelle or the nightie was planted there

Thanks for the update dear
Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Culin(f): 12:15am On Feb 08, 2020
millieademi:
Hi dear...

I swear you have a knack for cutting it off at the best part. You've promised to update on Sunday sha. We patiently await.

As per lack of morale and little to no interaction from your readers. I think it's a Nairaland culture. It was the same for me when I started out.

I'll tell you what someone told me.

There are three types of readers on Nairaland:

Guests who read and leave, registered folk who read and leave and registered folk who finally comment.

Baby girl, as selfish as this sounds because I love updates, I'd say write on.We, your fans, we gat you. The comments will come that you wouldn't know where to start replying them from. Trust me.

Just keep writing. Write because you love it because when the external motivation comes and they are clamoring for updates at times writing seems ridiculous, it's your love for writing and maybe us that will strengthen you. P.S. I love your work.

And I feel Nate is being a selfish pain in the ass, taking advantage of Eni's condition and her love for him. At least it's my opinion.

Millieademi iiii. I wish Nairaland had that 'misty eyes' emoji, because that's how I'm feeling now. Thanks for the words of encouragment and advice. It's an honor to have you here steadily supporting me. God bless you.

I agree, Nathan is being selfish but he'll learn better, soon.

1 Like

Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Culin(f): 12:18am On Feb 08, 2020
Ann2012:
I'm really short of words, is Nathan already sleeping with Annabelle or the nightie was planted there

Thanks for the update dear

Girl! Nathan is a case. Believe me when I say, I honestly don't know about the nightie too But we'll find out in the next update I guess.

Uwc. Thanks Ann for your steady support. smiley

1 Like

Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by adeboizy11(m): 1:56pm On Feb 12, 2020
Mace mai kyau� ki zo where is the update nauh. You promised Sunday and today is Wednesday. Don't start behaving like Nigerian politicians that will promise heaven and after making you long and wait till like eternity, they will give you something close to hell.

Culin:

Girl! Nathan is a case. Believe me when I say, I honestly don't know about the nightie too But we'll find out in the next update I guess.

Uwc. Thanks Ann for your steady support. smiley

1 Like

Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Culin(f): 8:54pm On Feb 13, 2020
adeboizy11:
Mace mai kyau� ki zo where is the update nauh. You promised Sunday and today is Wednesday. Don't start behaving like Nigerian politicians that will promise heaven and after making you long and wait till like eternity, they will give you something close to hell.

I'm sorry. I'll try to post tomorrow. I have a family emergency that's making my family travel hospitals in different states.

Also my online friend and editor, Lookman Laneon died a week ago and I had no idea. I found out yesterday in our book club's whatsapp group. I was mad at him for not replying my mails and Wattpad messages, for not editing my work and sending it back. Not knowing he was lying cold in a mortuary. It's been a rough week and I'm mentally tired.

I saw this message yesterday but was in no frame of mind to reply.

Thanks for your patience.

1 Like

Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Legitdimple(f): 11:42pm On Feb 13, 2020
Culin,you what know babe,this here is a masterpiece. Almost like I'm watching a movie,amazing characters. Oh! My love for Enitan....the suspense is something else,I can feel my heart panting. Thumps up!!!
Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by adeboizy11(m): 11:56pm On Feb 13, 2020
I'm so sorry for all you've been through boo. Just be strong and know that you're not alone and above all, God got you. Plenty love from this side.
[1quote author=Culin post=86627732]

I'm sorry. I'll try to post tomorrow. I have a family emergency that's making my family travel hospitals in different states.

Also my online friend and editor, Lookman Leneon died a week ago and I had no idea. I found out yesterday in our book club's whatsapp group. I was mad at him for not replying my mails and Wattpad messages, for not editing my work and sending it back. Not knowing he was lying cold in a mortuary. It's been a rough week and I'm mentally tired.

Thanks for your patience.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Culin(f): 10:20am On Feb 26, 2020
Legitdimple:
Culin,you what know babe,this here is a masterpiece. Almost like I'm watching a movie,amazing characters. Oh! My love for Enitan....the suspense is something else,I can feel my heart panting. Thumps up!!!

Hey girl! Thanks so much for for the lovely review. I hope the rest of the book meets your expectations.

Hey guys. Long time to no post. Sorry for the absence. Thanks to those who reached out by sending pms and mails, y'all surprised me big time. God bless you. I'm back to updating for good smiley Next chapter update will come much later in the day, that's for sure! See you later lovelies.

1 Like

Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Culin(f): 10:22am On Feb 26, 2020
adeboizy11:
I'm so sorry for all you've been through boo. Just be strong and know that you're not alone and above all, God got you. Plenty love from this side.
[1quote author=Culin post=86627732]

Also my online friend and editor, Lookman Leneon died a week ago and I had no idea. I found out yesterday in our book club's whatsapp group. I was mad at him for not replying my mails and Wattpad messages, for not editing my work and sending it back. Not knowing he was lying cold in a mortuary. It's been a rough week and I'm mentally tired.

Thanks for your patience.

Thanks so much darl. Everything is fine now and I'm back!
Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Culin(f): 11:19pm On Feb 26, 2020
Chapter Ten - Bad Idea

“Between what is said and not meant, and what is meant and not said, most of love is lost.”

― Kahlil Gibran

Song― Best part of Me. By Ed Sheeran [ft YEBBA]

NATHAN

I paced the semi-soundproof room with hands in my pocket. While six other men sat and watched the activity behind the transparent glass barrier with fascination, I worried about a woman. Having her in my home was a bad idea. I could barely restrain myself around her, how did I plan to handle her staying over or even, keep her hidden without 'the devil getting word?

I supressed all thoughts of her to focus on the last phase of our work. At four P.M, we rounded up the secure glass test.

I removed the noise cancelling earmuffs and shook hands with the Asian clients who smiled ear to ear. The 32mm glass with a silver finish, withstood two hours of bullets before it flexed, breaking the record of the best glass in the market. They'd return by Monday to seal the deal, one that would see ‘Foxtrap’ produce and supply the glass for the new 40 stories hotel in Abuja.

My best friend Patrick, also the engineer in charge of the project shook one of the happy clients then walked to me with a wide grin and hugged me, patting my back heavily.

"We did it man!"

"All thanks to you, brother!"

"You can say that again." He gave a loud belly laugh, grabbed my arms in an elbow handshake and hugged me again. His excitement knew no bounds, a year and half of research paid off.

We chatted with the team for a while, then about four of us drove in our separate cars to have a late lunch at the restaurant down the street.

We talked over a meal of Jellof rice and fish grill. Patrick had never been a fan of Annabelle but, with the presence of two other company executives, I refrained from talking about Enitan's pregnancy or her being at my house. Some other time, when we're done with pressing business and alone. Fatigued and anxious to see Enitan, I turned down their offer to stay out for more drinks. I bade them goodnight and drove home.

At nine P.M, I parked inside the garage of my apartment. I stayed back in the car to take a breather and plan every topic of discussion. As I alighted, I heard loud music coming from the next house, my silly neighbour was having one of those wild Friday home parties that usually ended in someone getting arrested.

I made it upstairs, half jogging. Walking straight to my room, I was a tad bit disappointed I didn't find her inside.

I freshened up, then changed into a pair of brown cargo shorts and grey t-shirt. I sat on my bed and went through my messages, there were a few as many people didn't have access to my new number. One of the messages from a new number caught my attention.

13:24 Hey Sugar, I hate what you're doing. You won't even reply my mails. I had to promise your sister the entire galaxy before she gave me your new number.

13:25 And oh, try to get in touch with the wedding planner, she'd go crazy if she doesn't know what color of tie you'll be wearing.

18:00 Shouldn't you be done with work by now? Why are you not texting back?

19:30 Our wedding is just by the corner and you won't even talk to me. sad

20:00 By God, if you don't reply my messages, I'll drive down to your house and make you talk to me.

The hell! Not with Enitan here. So I replied her.

Annabelle, we really need to talk, but I'll let you know when. Feel free to take care of all wedding preparations. Goodnight. 21:25

I switched off my phone immediately and gulped down the bottle of water on the coffee table, slipped on my Nike slides and walked out of the room.

I followed the sound of the TV and knocked on the door closest to the staircase. After a while she opened up, my eyes immediately fell to the oversized blue T-shirt that left the lower parts of her thighs exposed. I raised my eyes to avoid being caught staring, they were met by her cold eyes.

"Hey," I said.

"Hi," she replied, curtly. Her eyes colder than earlier in the morning. Her look, deadly.

"May I?" I pointed to the room.

She moved aside, pushing the door wider. I walked in and sat on the bed, she turned to me and laid back on the door, arms folded across her chest, her face void of any emotions.

"So how's your day? Not so boring I hope?"

My attempt to break the ice failed, she pushed her back from the door, walked to the TV and switched it off. "You wanted us to talk."

"Looks like someone's in a mood." I smiled. But she glowered in return.

I stood up from the bed, hands in the pockets of my shorts. I walked slowly to her and stopped a few inches from the large TV. I stayed far enough to help me keep my composure but I still notice the curves on her chest heave in anger.

"Yes, I want us to talk. But not with this hostility between us."

"What do you expect? A handshake? A hug? Look around you Nathan. There's nothing relaxing about this situation. My life is ruined, while yours continues to be life of the party!"

"You think so? You have no idea how this has turned my life upside down!"

The room turned awkwardly silent. She walked to the armchair by the bed and sat with both hands on her thighs.

"You came after me this morning. Dragged me halfway across town. Just to tell me I ruined your life too? What am I even doing here Nathan? I could have spared your life from the mess and let you have your fairy-tale end with her."

"It's messed up. But I don't want to loose a part of me. Especially when it's with you. I want this baby."

And you. I almost said, but knew better. I couldn't ruin her any further by giving her false hopes or making promises I couldn't keep.

"Fine -It's fine."

"Eni-"

I paced the room. It was too late to retract my words now, and pointless to try to convince her I meant differently.

"It's ok. I already called Jameel to pick me up by morning. I'll be gone and your life will go back to normal."

“Jameel" after a second, it registered in my brain. "Are you crazy?" I asked, not realizing I was now standing in front of her.

"What?"

"Are you on cheap drugs Enitan? Calling that man you've know for barely what? A month― to come pick you up from my house?" My hands flew everywhere, making gestures that words could not speak.

"First, you no longer have the right to judge who I let into my life. Secondly, I've known him longer than I've known you. He's not just any man. He is the man who helped me through the most difficult time in my life, while you were here having the time of your life with the woman you claimed not to want!" She pointed at me, fuming.

"What?"

She scoffed "You know what?" She waved her hands. "That's none of my business."

She made to stand up from the sofa but I bent on one knee, my hands gently holding her shoulders in place.

"If you're talking about it now, it means you care and that makes it your business."

"Let's not waste our energy talking about your private life."

I held my forehead, not knowing where to start. "Why would you even think I left you in that state just to have fun with her? I worried about you all through. I swear I had a good reason for not showing up. One I hope you'd understand someday."

"If your 'good reason' is why her lingerie and personal items are scattered all over your closet, don't bother. I understand already."

Damn it! I groaned and punched the air. I knew it had to be that.

Whatever dirty intentions Annabelle had when she 'forgot' her essentials, she'd succeeded. I'd wanted to instruct Maureen, the housekeeper to get rid of them, but I knew they'd cost a fortune and hated the drama that would follow. So I gave her the chance to come pick them up herself. Damn that decision.

"Look, she spent a weekend here alright, but that was just it."

"And you expect me to believe that? It doesn't even matter, she's your wife-to-be, she has every right to you and your house. I just need you to accept that you're an asshole. Accept that you want her. Stop pretending you feel guilty or sorry for me, stop acting like you care about me!"

I literally felt my rip apart. The fact that she no longer believed or trusted me― that she would even imagine that I didn't care. My Enitan, I felt miserable. The thought that she would never look at me the same way drove me to the bridge of insanity. I'd lost her, this time, it was clear. So I conceded defeat.

"Fine. I'm an asshole and I want Annabelle, the only reason you're here is for my child. Happy now?"

She nodded, a flicker of sadness appeared in her eyes but it disappeared as fast as it came.

She covered her face with both palms. "I see," she mumbled.

"Now that that's out of the way, you should know; I'm not letting you hang around that man― or any other one, not with my baby inside of you!"

"You don't own me!" She yelled.

"That's where you're wrong young lady.
When you deliver my child, you can hang out with whoever you want. But until then, you're mine. I won't let you jeopardize the health of my baby."

"I hate you." She sobbed.

"Well, it's a good thing only our child connects us then. Not emotions. So, your likeness for me is not needed― or wanted.

Just maybe if I convinced myself hard enough, it would hurt less that she'd never have a likeness for me, even if I needed or wanted it.

"Damn this hormones," she sniffed. Cleaning her wet face with the back of her hands.

It broke me to see her hurt. I did the exact thing I swore never to do― hurt her. But what else could I have done, she saw me as the devil, it would be futile to tell her otherwise. Even if I did, the wedding would go on as planned and she'd hurt and hate me all over again.

"Now that you've made it clear you can't stand me, I'll drop you off by morning. My lawyer will contact you next week with the terms of our arrangement, child custody, support and all."

"Child custody? That shouldn't even be up for discussion!"

"Think again, twelve hours ago, you didn't even want my baby. Imagine what a judge would think of that."

"No. You wouldn't do that to me,," she whispered. Her head bobbled uncontrollably from side to side, her hands just held her chest.

"Be rest assured I'll do my part to make this a smooth and nice arrangement." I smiled. "Even if it means driving you myself to your doctor's appointments. I'll do anything for my child. Good night Enitan."

I walked to the door and grabbed the handle, but her small voice made me freeze before I could pull it.

"Nathan?"

I released my hold on the door handle and turned back to look at her, surprised she still wanted to talk to me.

"Yes."

"Did you ever love me?" She asked, softly, an inch farther and I'd have missed her question.

I did. I still do. More than life itself.

"Once." I replied.

She nodded and bit her lips. "I see. Goodnight."

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by adeboizy11(m): 7:59am On Feb 27, 2020
GdGd boo.
The next chapter nko? Biko, post na.

Culin:

Thanks so much darl. Everything is fine now and I'm back!
Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Ann2012(f): 11:32am On Feb 27, 2020
Thanks for the update
Now I'm hurt cry

1 Like

Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by adeboizy11(m): 1:34pm On Feb 27, 2020
Gurl give me some more, next chapter(s)
I can't wait for so long to get only these few writes na. Babe you suppose 'kelt' our moods na not raise our heartbeats with a few writes. Do you need my number to send the next writes on whatsapp?

Culin:
Chapter Ten - Bad Idea

“Between what is said and not meant, and what is meant and not said, most of love is lost.”

― Kahlil Gibran

Song― Best part of Me. By Ed Sheeran [ft YEBBA]

NATHAN

I paced the semi-soundproof room with hands in my pocket. While six other men sat and watched the activity behind the transparent glass barrier with fascination, I worried about a woman. Having her in my home was a bad idea. I could barely restrain myself around her, how did I plan to handle her staying over or even, keep her hidden without 'the devil getting word?

I supressed all thoughts of her to focus on the last phase of our work. At four P.M, we rounded up the secure glass test.

I removed the noise cancelling earmuffs and shook hands with the Asian clients who smiled ear to ear. The 32mm glass with a silver finish, withstood two hours of bullets before it flexed, breaking the record of the best glass in the market. They'd return by Monday to seal the deal, one that would see ‘Foxtrap’ produce and supply the glass for the new 40 stories hotel in Abuja.

My best friend Patrick, also the engineer in charge of the project shook one of the happy clients then walked to me with a wide grin and hugged me, patting my back heavily.

"We did it man!"

"All thanks to you, brother!"

"You can say that again." He gave a loud belly laugh, grabbed my arms in an elbow handshake and hugged me again. His excitement knew no bounds, a year and half of research paid off.

We chatted with the team for a while, then about four of us drove in our separate cars to have a late lunch at the restaurant down the street.

We talked over a meal of Jellof rice and fish grill. Patrick had never been a fan of Annabelle but, with the presence of two other company executives, I refrained from talking about Enitan's pregnancy or her being at my house. Some other time, when we're done with pressing business and alone. Fatigued and anxious to see Enitan, I turned down their offer to stay out for more drinks. I bade them goodnight and drove home.

At nine P.M, I parked inside the garage of my apartment. I stayed back in the car to take a breather and plan every topic of discussion. As I alighted, I heard loud music coming from the next house, my silly neighbour was having one of those wild Friday home parties that usually ended in someone getting arrested.

I made it upstairs, half jogging. Walking straight to my room, I was a tad bit disappointed I didn't find her inside.

I freshened up, then changed into a pair of brown cargo shorts and grey t-shirt. I sat on my bed and went through my messages, there were a few as many people didn't have access to my new number. One of the messages from a new number caught my attention.

13:24 Hey Sugar, I hate what you're doing. You won't even reply my mails. I had to promise your sister the entire galaxy before she gave me your new number.

13:25 And oh, try to get in touch with the wedding planner, she'd go crazy if she doesn't know what color of tie you'll be wearing.

18:00 Shouldn't you be done with work by now? Why are you not texting back?

19:30 Our wedding is just by the corner and you won't even talk to me. sad

20:00 By God, if you don't reply my messages, I'll drive down to your house and make you talk to me.

The hell! Not with Enitan here. So I replied her.

Annabelle, we really need to talk, but I'll let you know when. Feel free to take care of all wedding preparations. Goodnight. 21:25

I switched off my phone immediately and gulped down the bottle of water on the coffee table, slipped on my Nike slides and walked out of the room.

I followed the sound of the TV and knocked on the door closest to the staircase. After a while she opened up, my eyes immediately fell to the oversized blue T-shirt that left the lower parts of her thighs exposed. I raised my eyes to avoid being caught staring, they were met by her cold eyes.

"Hey," I said.

"Hi," she replied, curtly. Her eyes colder than earlier in the morning. Her look, deadly.

"May I?" I pointed to the room.

She moved aside, pushing the door wider. I walked in and sat on the bed, she turned to me and laid back on the door, arms folded across her chest, her face void of any emotions.

"So how's your day? Not so boring I hope?"

My attempt to break the ice failed, she pushed her back from the door, walked to the TV and switched it off. "You wanted us to talk."

"Looks like someone's in a mood." I smiled. But she glowered in return.

I stood up from the bed, hands in the pockets of my shorts. I walked slowly to her and stopped a few inches from the large TV. I stayed far enough to help me keep my composure but I still notice the curves on her chest heave in anger.

"Yes, I want us to talk. But not with this hostility between us."

"What do you expect? A handshake? A hug? Look around you Nathan. There's nothing relaxing about this situation. My life is ruined, while yours continues to be life of the party!"

"You think so? You have no idea how this has turned my life upside down!"

The room turned awkwardly silent. She walked to the armchair by the bed and sat with both hands on her thighs.

"You came after me this morning. Dragged me halfway across town. Just to tell me I ruined your life too? What am I even doing here Nathan? I could have spared your life from the mess and let you have your fairy-tale end with her."

"It's messed up. But I don't want to loose a part of me. Especially when it's with you. I want this baby."

And you. I almost said, but knew better. I couldn't ruin her any further by giving her false hopes or making promises I couldn't keep.

"Fine -It's fine."

"Eni-"

I paced the room. It was too late to retract my words now, and pointless to try to convince her I meant differently.

"It's ok. I already called Jameel to pick me up by morning. I'll be gone and your life will go back to normal."

“Jameel" after a second, it registered in my brain. "Are you crazy?" I asked, not realizing I was now standing in front of her.

"What?"

"Are you on cheap drugs Enitan? Calling that man you've know for barely what? A month― to come pick you up from my house?" My hands flew everywhere, making gestures that words could not speak.

"First, you no longer have the right to judge who I let into my life. Secondly, I've known him longer than I've known you. He's not just any man. He is the man who helped me through the most difficult time in my life, while you were here having the time of your life with the woman you claimed not to want!" She pointed at me, fuming.

"What?"

She scoffed "You know what?" She waved her hands. "That's none of my business."

She made to stand up from the sofa but I bent on one knee, my hands gently holding her shoulders in place.

"If you're talking about it now, it means you care and that makes it your business."

"Let's not waste our energy talking about your private life."

I held my forehead, not knowing where to start. "Why would you even think I left you in that state just to have fun with her? I worried about you all through. I swear I had a good reason for not showing up. One I hope you'd understand someday."

"If your 'good reason' is why her lingerie and personal items are scattered all over your closet, don't bother. I understand already."

Damn it! I groaned and punched the air. I knew it had to be that.

Whatever dirty intentions Annabelle had when she 'forgot' her essentials, she'd succeeded. I'd wanted to instruct Maureen, the housekeeper to get rid of them, but I knew they'd cost a fortune and hated the drama that would follow. So I gave her the chance to come pick them up herself. Damn that decision.

"Look, she spent a weekend here alright, but that was just it."

"And you expect me to believe that? It doesn't even matter, she's your wife-to-be, she has every right to you and your house. I just need you to accept that you're an asshole. Accept that you want her. Stop pretending you feel guilty or sorry for me, stop acting like you care about me!"

I literally felt my rip apart. The fact that she no longer believed or trusted me― that she would even imagine that I didn't care. My Enitan, I felt miserable. The thought that she would never look at me the same way drove me to the bridge of insanity. I'd lost her, this time, it was clear. So I conceded defeat.

"Fine. I'm an asshole and I want Annabelle, the only reason you're here is for my child. Happy now?"

She nodded, a flicker of sadness appeared in her eyes but it disappeared as fast as it came.

She covered her face with both palms. "I see," she mumbled.

"Now that that's out of the way, you should know; I'm not letting you hang around that man― or any other one, not with my baby inside of you!"

"You don't own me!" She yelled.

"That's where you're wrong young lady.
When you deliver my child, you can hang out with whoever you want. But until then, you're mine. I won't let you jeopardize the health of my baby."

"I hate you." She sobbed.

"Well, it's a good thing only our child connects us then. Not emotions. So, your likeness for me is not needed― or wanted.

Just maybe if I convinced myself hard enough, it would hurt less that she'd never have a likeness for me, even if I needed or wanted it.

"Damn this hormones," she sniffed. Cleaning her wet face with the back of her hands.

It broke me to see her hurt. I did the exact thing I swore never to do― hurt her. But what else could I have done, she saw me as the devil, it would be futile to tell her otherwise. Even if I did, the wedding would go on as planned and she'd hurt and hate me all over again.

"Now that you've made it clear you can't stand me, I'll drop you off by morning. My lawyer will contact you next week with the terms of our arrangement, child custody, support and all."

"Child custody? That shouldn't even be up for discussion!"

"Think again, twelve hours ago, you didn't even want my baby. Imagine what a judge would think of that."

"No. You wouldn't do that to me,," she whispered. Her head bobbled uncontrollably from side to side, her hands just held her chest.

"Be rest assured I'll do my part to make this a smooth and nice arrangement." I smiled. "Even if it means driving you myself to your doctor's appointments. I'll do anything for my child. Good night Enitan."

I walked to the door and grabbed the handle, but her small voice made me freeze before I could pull it.

"Nathan?"

I released my hold on the door handle and turned back to look at her, surprised she still wanted to talk to me.

"Yes."

"Did you ever love me?" She asked, softly, an inch farther and I'd have missed her question.

I did. I still do. More than life itself.

"Once." I replied.

She nodded and bit her lips. "I see. Goodnight."
Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by tot(f): 5:45pm On Feb 27, 2020
Culin:
**** AN
Although I've written before, this is my first story here on nairaland and I'm soooo nervous about it because I don't know what reactions this story will recieve. wink Positive ones I hope. Constructive criticism is also welcomed.
Stick with me on this Journey guys, it promises to be an exciting one.

Thanks for reading this far and please do leave a comment below. Comment comment comment! It'll motivate me to update the next chapter faster tongue (for those who care anyways lol)

I only just read chapter 1- so far so good, please keep it coming! cheers.
Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by millieademi: 7:45pm On Feb 27, 2020
Hi love....

Long time. Sorry for your loss. Hope you find a new beta reader.

Once again you cut it off at the best part.

And you are driving me to the point where I'll hate Nathan.

Eni should grow a backbone and leave Nathan. If she stays around she'll just get hurt.
Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Legitdimple(f): 6:11pm On Mar 03, 2020
Culin:

Hey girl! Thanks so much for for the lovely review. I hope the rest of the book meets your expectations.

Hey guys. Long time to no post. Sorry for the absence. Thanks to those who reached out by sending pms and mails, y'all surprised me big time. God bless you. I'm back to updating for good smiley Next chapter update will come much later in the day, that's for sure! See you later lovelies.
It definitely will...You're welcome!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Culin(f): 11:10am On Mar 04, 2020
millieademi:
Hi love....

Long time. Sorry for your loss. Hope you find a new beta reader.

Once again you cut it off at the best part.

And you are driving me to the point where I'll hate Nathan.

Eni should grow a backbone and leave Nathan. If she stays around she'll just get hurt.

Phew! For a while I thought you got tired of me embarassed

Thanks alot Millieademi for the wishes and support. I really really appreciate.
Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Culin(f): 11:11am On Mar 04, 2020
Ann2012:
Thanks for the update
Now I'm hurt cry

cheesy las las we go dey alright. Thanks Ann2012, I always look forward to your comments.

2 Likes

Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Culin(f): 11:12am On Mar 04, 2020
tot:

I only just read chapter 1- so far so good, please keep it coming! cheers.

Thanks alot! I will always try my best to keep the updates coming.

1 Like

Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Culin(f): 12:20pm On Mar 04, 2020
adeboizy11:
I can't wait for so long to get only these few writes na. Babe you suppose 'kelt' our moods na not raise our heartbeats with a few writes. Do you need my number to send the next writes on whatsapp?

Lol calm down or I dump you in Sambisa grin. So here's why I don't drop so many updates in week.

I'm a panster, meaning I write as the story develops in my head. I'm not hoarding updates, well because I don't have drafts stuffed somewhere in my files. I edit and post immediately after writing.

In between working 14hrs everyday and schooling, I still try to write a chapter per week. I know it doesn't look like much but please bear with me. Plus what may take you five minutes to read may take me four days to write, in the end it may turn out trash and I have to delete the whole draft and start all over. So these are the issues. Sorry for the few writes, I'll cool your temper with a long chapter today. Updates later in the evening.
Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by adeboizy11(m): 3:08pm On Mar 04, 2020
Sambisa is a brutal option na, I won't ever be able to read your lovely writes again ni yen. Biko drop the long writes already. Evening don almost reach. Let me send my number abi mail so that you'll just be dumping the many ones you write but we don't get to see in there. I'll gladly read them. 0.7.0.6.8.7.3.4.0.0.2

Culin:

Lol calm down or I dump you in Sambisa grin. So here's why I don't drop so many updates in week.

I'm a panster, meaning I write as the story develops in my head. I'm not hoarding updates, well because I don't have drafts stuffed somewhere in my files. I edit and post immediately after writing.

In between working 14hrs everyday and schooling, I still try to write a chapter per week. I know it doesn't look like much but please bear with me. Plus what may take you five minutes to read may take me four days to write, in the end it may turn out trash and I have to delete the whole draft and start all over. So these are the issues. Sorry for the few writes, I'll cool your temper with a long chapter today. Updates later in the evening.

Re: The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea by Palmerbarry: 5:58pm On Mar 04, 2020
adeboizy11:

angry my guy please stop quoting a whole UPDATE. Its annoying!!!

Nice job Culin, you're doing great.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview / Literature/Writing Guidelines, Rules & Regulations / A UNILAG Babe's Twitter Love Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.