Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,895 members, 7,806,619 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:12 PM

FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja (45405 Views)

Rivers State Completes Ikoku Flyover / Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago / My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by IDFWU(m): 7:31am On Dec 04, 2019
pocohantas:

What exactly did you make clear?
I can answer that but firstly you have to come out clear that you really don’t understand English because those are detailed explanation in English, unless you just want to be a dramatic fellow or a typical Nigerian who hates to be corrected, in that case, i’d just say have a nice day, I’m not cut in for stuff like this okay.
No offense
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by joyandfaith: 7:32am On Dec 04, 2019
UCyril:
u were booked for use of phone while driving and they re right. Next time if u want to use ur GPS park properly off the road and use it.

if she was actually guilty, they will not release her after booking. they were overzealous. try to read highway code
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by meccuno: 7:33am On Dec 04, 2019
Allen102:
oh boy. Nigeria don they improve ooo.
how is it an improvement?
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by pocohantas(f): 7:33am On Dec 04, 2019
Fmusty:

I was arrested for using Google map in lagos about 4 months ago, paid 4k to remita too, so no lie here, those FRSC are sick in the head

And how exactly were you using it?
You all do not add this part.
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Slymonster(m): 7:33am On Dec 04, 2019
I went from the island to mainland yesterday and I use google map. Frsc come and get me. Total rubbish. Yes gps can be a distraction,infact in lagos it is because you can miss the direction even when looking at it but you see that voice that tells you turn left or turn right or take the next exit. That has always been the best for me and I have never missed any direction.
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by shadeyinka(m): 7:36am On Dec 04, 2019
pocohantas:

I think some of you have a problem reading. You missed the "handheld devices" or you just want to tell me what your car has? Toor!
Your argument was like you're against the use of Google map because of the distractions caused by the few seconds of looking away from the road.

I think what FRSC should have done is that if you must use Google map from your phone, it MUST be placed on a hanger on your dashboard.

It is also wrong to arrest a person because he has Google map active on his phone. A person should only be prosecuted if such was caught using the map in his hands. This will of cause be difficult but fair to both parties.

1 Like

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by pocohantas(f): 7:37am On Dec 04, 2019
shadeyinka:

Your argument was like you're against the use of Google map because of the distractions caused by the few seconds of looking away from the road.

I think what FRSC should have done is that if you must use Google map from your phone, it MUST be placed on a hanger on your dashboard.

It is also wrong to arrest a person because he has Google map active on his phone. A person should only be prosecuted if such was caught using the map in his hands. This will of cause be difficult but fair to both parties.

Some of una just like to stress person sha! So, what is the difference between this and my post? Hian!!!!
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by joyandfaith: 7:37am On Dec 04, 2019
ashanax:
You all should reason like human. Using your phone while driving in Nigeria is an offense and even in other countries.
If you have to use GPS while driving, then u should install a GPS device which is not an offense in Nigeria or any other country.
Why criticizing the FRSC when they are trying to save her life and other road users (especially with this lady that's so ignorant of the rules of driving)? Every sensible driver in this country knows it's an offense to use your phone while driving now.
You want to use your phone for GPS in Nigeria? Then dont get caught !
Madam thanks for paying for your ignorance, go pick your car. Be smart next time

you are not totally correct. as long you are not holding phone in hand or looking at it, you are not committing any offence. Google map has audio assistant that will tell you when to turn. you just need to listen to direction.

1 Like

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by SIRTee15: 7:37am On Dec 04, 2019
IDFWU:

You certainly didn’t have a broad view of how google maps works, had to make it clear to you so don’t go about talking crap about what you don’t really know of. One can really blame you, it’s called ignorance, anyways you have been informed!

I'm not aware people hold the phone while using Google map, that's just too distracting n inconvenient....

But if the issue is using GPS while driving, then it shows the kind of archaic n retrogressive clowns we have at the helm of affairs in that country....
They just make laws based on their primitive mindset n superstitious beliefs....

Modern cars come with GPS on their dashboard n I've driven them in both Canada n uk without any hassle....
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by MosD: 7:38am On Dec 04, 2019
Heard about this rule just last week on NTA
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by shadeyinka(m): 7:39am On Dec 04, 2019
pocohantas:

Some of una just like to stress person sha! So, what is the difference between this and my post? Hian!!!!
On close look, None!

You are just too defensive!
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by pocohantas(f): 7:40am On Dec 04, 2019
shadeyinka:

On close look, None!

You are just too defensive!

Then I give up on you Sir!!! It is too early for your shenanigans. wink
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by joyandfaith: 7:40am On Dec 04, 2019
Slymonster:
I went from the island to mainland yesterday and I use google map. Frsc come and get me. Total rubbish. Yes gps can be a distraction,infact in lagos it is because you can miss the direction even when looking at it but you see that voice that tells you turn left or turn right or take the next exit. That has always been the best for me and I have never missed any direction.

exactly, many of them do not know you can listen to direction using Google map without holding or looking at phone.
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by omaclarry(m): 7:43am On Dec 04, 2019
adekayo1234:
The last time I was in Abuja, I realized most people in Abj no even Sabi road, thank God for Google map, I would have gone to NTA to declare myself missing

Thats if you dont get missing before getting to nta to report that you are missing
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by IDFWU(m): 7:44am On Dec 04, 2019
ashanax:

Oga bello... go to google and check for a GPS device for cars. You r probably ignorant of that cos ur jst a phone boy
And I guess this your own so called gps device doesn’t have a screen to distract the driver? Every gps device comes with a screen to direct and also a voice to aid in directing the user to avoid distraction of looking at the screen while driving and so does google map, which you can also connect with an auxiliary cable to your car speaker to make it loud. Maybe you are confusing it for gps tracker or just like I mentioned earlier you really do not think things through before making a comment.

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Josh44s(m): 7:44am On Dec 04, 2019
LegendHero:
@OP I feel your plight and the punishment meted to you is too harsh.

Nevertheless the FRSC is right when they said drivers should desist from using google map especially when the said driver is holding the phone.

You can buy a car phone hanger and stick your phone to that to save yourself of the embarrassment from the Road Safety officials coz there are far too many accidents caused by people holding phones while driving.

Even in some states in USA, holding a phone either for google map or any other thing is an offense and the police will pull you up if they see you with that.

We Nigerians always want a better nation but we most times don’t obey simple rule of law.

Note: I assume you held the phone in your hand while using the google map

And after you hang finish na there you go begin hear question like “This your phone look expensive o! You must be a yahoo Boi, oyaaaa you are under arrest grin

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Slymonster(m): 7:45am On Dec 04, 2019
joyandfaith:

exactly, many of them do not know you can listen to direction using Google map without holding or looking at phone.

That is what the frsc should have enlightened them but you see, even them at the helm of affair is dull.
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by pocohantas(f): 7:46am On Dec 04, 2019
shadeyinka:

Never said it was my argument.

"I would prefer a situation where it can be set before driving and on speaker too. This is a better option, since so many persons would rather not hang their phones."

"However, I do not think the problem should be the use of GPS in its entirety. The problem should be the use of handheld devices and its resultant inattentive driving"

Juxtapose that with my opening post and you will see my problem is when they keep fumbling with it in their hands and looking down. You and that IDFWU (who claimed I didn't know it has voice prompt) should read well next time. Don't come at people with nonsense and claim they are defensive or ignorant. Reading with some comprehension will save all of us time.

Regards

2 Likes

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by LegendHero(m): 7:47am On Dec 04, 2019
Josh44s:

And after you hang finish na there you go begin hear question like “This your phone look expensive o! You must be a yahoo Boi, oyaaaa you are under arrest grin

Lol
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by ayaside(m): 7:48am On Dec 04, 2019
I use Google maps every time I am about to embark on a journey
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by ashanax: 7:48am On Dec 04, 2019
joyandfaith:

you are not totally correct. as long you are not holding phone in hand or looking at it, you are not committing any offence. Google map has audio assistant that will tell you when to turn. you just need to listen to direction.
My brother, the safest is to get a GPS device installed in your car. Strictly for GPS navigation
That's if ur car did not come with one
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Basher8583: 7:50am On Dec 04, 2019
post=84605316:

Some of our FRSC official need some orientation/refresher course.
This is not funny at all!

The lady might not be telling the exact story.
According to frsc using GPS on your mobile phone is not the problem it is the mode of usage that is actually the problem which distracts while driving.
https://frsc.gov.ng/use-of-phone-to-access-google-map-app-while-driving-frscs-true-position/

This also applies to the traffic laws in California USA.

The lady might have been clearly fumbling with her phone, probably activating her GPS or getting distracted with it while driving when the frsc officers spotted her. she should have being alot smarter while using it

At least for the frsc officers, they did not take advantage of her by collecting personal bribe but asked her to pay her offence dues to the right agency. That's professional enough for me.

However impounding her vehicle was professionalism taken to the extreme.

I wish her well

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Fmusty: 7:51am On Dec 04, 2019
ornicus:
i was at FRSC site today to check the status of my drivers license

i found this

https://frsc.gov.ng/use-of-phone-to-access-google-map-app-while-driving-frscs-true-position/

lalasticlala, dominique mynd44 - please push to FP so we can see who is lying here FRSC HQ, or their drones

I was arrested for using Google map in lagos about 4 months ago, paid 4k to remita too, so no lie here, those FRSC are sick in the head
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by GoldenPromise81(m): 7:54am On Dec 04, 2019
Na waoo,their illitracy get levels
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by ashanax: 7:54am On Dec 04, 2019
IDFWU:

And I guess this your own so called gps device doesn’t have a screen to distract the driver? Every gps device comes with a screen to direct and also a voice to aid in directing the user to avoid distraction of looking at the screen while driving and so does google map, which you can also connect with an auxiliary cable to your car speaker to make it loud. Maybe you are confusing it for gps tracker or just like I mentioned earlier you really do not think things through before making a comment.
Now u can tell me thank you for tutoring you about GSP device... now u no it's not a phone, it's a device basically for navigating like u av seen in ur research.
No law says u cant use that.
That's the point Bush boy
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by yinkajewole: 7:54am On Dec 04, 2019
This is serious!
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Talkingoil(m): 7:55am On Dec 04, 2019
Kayharry:
Wow! We still have a lot of surprises in this yulitide. Men of the Federal Road Safety Corps have just impounded my car. Asked what's my offence, they said, show me your phone and I turned my phone to him, and the guy said you are under arrest for driving with the aid of Google map on your mobile phones. Wawu!! I'm like seriously!! He said, madam it is a serious traffic offence. I asked to see the team lead, their team lead came and after hearing fro his collegue and me said, "the law forbids motorists from using mobile phones in any form while driving, as it can lead to accident". I can see you are using Google map on your phone. Madam it is distractive so follow us to our office.

This is unbelievable!! You see ba, I have an emergency and have requested for a ticket so I can deal with this later but they said No. I must drive to their office. Well ladies and gentlemen, I've been given a ticket of N4000 payable to Remita my offence is using GPS. They have my car and my keys and my drivers license. When I'm done paying to remita then I will be checked into national hospital for mental examination for using GPS while driving. The real mad folks are those who believe is an offence to drive with Google map. They called Google map a distraction. So if you are driving in Abuja, ditch the GPS and drive on, get to middle of the road stop and ask any road safety or traffic warder thus; oga where is the direction to Apo, Asokoro or just any where you are going. You don't need direction map. The worst kind of illiteracy is the illiteracy of a government.

Please if you have an opportunity to live in a saner place , now is the time to weigh your options and check out. A lot of things don't make sense here.
That's what happens when illiterate folks find themselves in certain govt outfit. What a shame
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by gonkin(m): 7:57am On Dec 04, 2019
Hmmm, soon they'll start launching the app when they take ur phone and say u had maps running
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by IDFWU(m): 8:01am On Dec 04, 2019
SIRTee15:

I'm not aware people hold the phone while using Google map, that's just too distracting n inconvenient....

But if the issue is using GPS while driving, then it shows the kind of archaic n retrogressive clowns we have at the helm of affairs in that country....
They just make laws based on their primitive mindset n superstitious beliefs....

Modern cars come with GPS on their dashboard n I've driven them in both Canada n uk without any hassle....
God bless you Sir, you know our views in this country is mostly myopic. You just don’t ban things because of its disadvantage, what about its advantages? You make rules to enforce a balance. The same phone that will cause an accident cos a driver was distracted by it will also be used to call 911 emergency by another driver when this same accident occurs. It’s such a no brainer! Make sure drivers using google map have their phones affixed not handheld and also an auxiliary cable to car speakers. I mean these things shouldn’t be a problem, jeez! What is wrong with us in this country? Ha!
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Ayo8(m): 8:05am On Dec 04, 2019
Medicine after death... He made the statement out of ignorance, this shows the level of intelligence of our leaders and the people they have appointed to head govt ministries and agencies at all levels of govt...
When other countries are researching and moving forward, ours are busy mastering their act of nepotism and really they've mastered it... I bet you majority of those who might govern us in 10years time are presently busy running errands and being loyal to some political god father somewhere...
Until we all agree to stand as a people, to demand good governance from those that we have elected or those who by some unexplainable means found themselves at our legislative assemblies, until we all stand as one to squeeze some responsibility our of them... we will never have a sane society to call our own.

I fear for the future of my son and his peers...

ornicus:
i was at FRSC site today to check the status of my drivers license

i found this

lalasticlala, dominique mynd44 - please push to FP so we can see who is lying here FRSC HQ, or their drones
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by ashanax: 8:08am On Dec 04, 2019
IDFWU:

God bless you Sir, you know our views in this country is mostly myopic. You just don’t ban things because of its disadvantage, what about its advantages? You make rules to enforce a balance. The same phone that will cause an accident cos a driver was distracted by it will also be used to call 911 emergency by another driver when this same accident occurs. It’s such a no brainer! Make sure drivers using google map have their phones affixed not handheld and also an auxiliary cable to car speakers. I mean these things shouldn’t be a problem, jeez! What is wrong with us in this country? Ha!

Oga Bello... you are the one something is wrong with In this country.
That man said he used GPS device that came with car not phones. Ask him is its lawful to use a phone for GPS navigation in any other country he has been to.
Dont jst talk and criticize the law. Open ur head and understand the law.
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by berrystunn(m): 8:08am On Dec 04, 2019
AgreatMan:
Sounds crazy, but the FRSC guys are 100% correct grin grin GPS is very distracting.

1. From her statement, she didn't deny when they asked whether she was using her GPS.
2. Next time, get a phone holder. Nobody can accuse u then.
3. They didn't ask for bribe, they told her to pay into a government account.

Using GPS or using GPS with phone holder.
Which one of them is the offense??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lawyers In Akure Involve In Accident On Their Way To Court, 4 Dead (Graphic Pic) / Sami Court: ₦115K Per Night Hotel At Abuja Airport / Give Birth In Uk For Visitors,cost And Procedure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.