Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,792 members, 7,802,511 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja (14792 Views)

Orji Kalu Visits Ignatius Kaigama, Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja (PHOTOS) / Ignatius Kaigama Assumes Duty As Abuja Catholic Archbishop / Bishop Ignatius Kaigama Feeds 991 Inmates In Jos Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by agwom(m): 11:39pm On Dec 03, 2019
John Cardinal Onaiyekan on Tuesday in Abuja formally handed over as the Catholic Archbishop of Abuja to the new Archbishop, Ignatius Ayau Kaigama. Kaigama would on Thursday be formally inaugurated in Abuja.

This follows the Pope’s acceptance of the retirement of Cardinal Onaiyekan who clocked the retirement age of 75 on January 29, 2019.
Archbishop Kaigama on March 11 earlier this year was announced by the Pope, who was represented by Apostolic Nuncio to Nigeria, Archbishop Antonio Guido Filipazzi, in Abuja during the opening ceremony of the first plenary meeting of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria (CBCN).

Filipazzi then named Kaigama as the Coadjutor archbishop of Abuja and administrator of Jos archdiocese, where he served as its chief Shepherd in the last 19 years. Speaking during the handover ceremony, Onaiyekan assured Nigerians that he will not retire from speaking against all forms of oppression in the country until social justice is achieved for all citizens. Onaiyekan, who finally retires from his role as the episcopal leader of the Catholic Church in FCT, Kogi, Nasarawa, and Benue states after 25 years, urged political leaders to prioritize social justice and equity, if the nation must make progress and should not be afraid of retiring. “I am confident in the abilities of my successor to lead the Archdiocese to the next level of development.

There were no elections to determine who will succeed me. There were no campaigning and lobbying. His (Kaigama) appointment was simply in line church practice,” he said. On his part, the incoming Archbishop of Abuja province, Most Revd Ignatius Kaigama, noted that many things had gone wrong in Nigeria but vowed to wage serious war against the social ills and vices impeding the development of the country. “We are the hope of Nigeria. So many things have gone wrong but we cannot just sit and say prayers. We have to go beyond prayers because faith and action go together.

We have to mobilise our people to be integrated and work genuinely for the progress of Nigeria and the happiness of our people. “I am not going to be hunting for problems but when they come, I will do my best to tackle them with my priestly character and identity. I will not be idle. I will always be doing something for church and country; attacking ills, social vices, and anything that will not be helpful to the development of Nigeria,” Kaigama said.

He also lamented that despite the government’s promise to tackle graft among public office holders, the menace has failed to give way for probity and accountability, saying “if there wasn’t corruption, there would have been an equitable distribution of resources and our people will be living well above the poverty line.

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/onaiyekan-bows-out-as-abuja-catholic-archbishop-hands-over-to-kaigama.html

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by majamajic(m): 11:45pm On Dec 03, 2019
I like Catholic way

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by godwinkessi: 5:06am On Dec 04, 2019
Which of them has a private jet?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by meum: 5:07am On Dec 04, 2019
cool
Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by Pavore9: 5:09am On Dec 04, 2019
Nice one.

3 Likes

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by Nobody: 5:12am On Dec 04, 2019
But I hear say some priests dey knack pass people wey marry.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by englishmart(m): 5:14am On Dec 04, 2019
Most top ranking clergies are clandestine politicians. Onaiyekan is no exception.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by englishmart(m): 5:16am On Dec 04, 2019
Chi59:
Well, everybody is in the race (if there's a race sha) Nobody is holy, not even his holiness

10 Likes

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by Trustme2(m): 5:17am On Dec 04, 2019
Hmmmm
Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by Nobody: 5:29am On Dec 04, 2019
Happy retirment his grace. May God Lord u served nd is serving always be with

19 Likes

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by PNomsule: 5:31am On Dec 04, 2019
Chi59:

Dem say Dem say...hate speech law no know "I hear say o"?!

13 Likes

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by lordkrys(m): 5:33am On Dec 04, 2019
Congrats to the new archbishop as he takes on the mantle of leadership of the abuja archdiocese.

4 Likes

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by lonelydora: 5:42am On Dec 04, 2019
Congratulations Kaigama.

Please lead us aright.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by lonelydora: 5:44am On Dec 04, 2019
Chi59:

One get pikin for my area.

1 Like

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by ReubenE(m): 5:44am On Dec 04, 2019
God bless the Catholic Church

God bless Christians all over the world

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by wunmi590(m): 6:07am On Dec 04, 2019
Proud to be a Catholic.

28 Likes

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by tutuonye: 6:12am On Dec 04, 2019
CONGRATS BISHOP KAIGAMA THE FEARLESS MOUTHPIECE OF THE OPPRESSED AND THE POOR. MAY GOD GRANT U THE WISDOM TO STEER HIS SHEEP.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by Mightyhaiz: 6:17am On Dec 04, 2019
Chi59:
Is that all you can say about these exemplary clergy men? With your squirrel teeth.

20 Likes

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by Mathiasa(m): 6:20am On Dec 04, 2019
Nice, time for everything you have tried ur best let others try too. Nothing last forever. Congratulations to bishop kaigama and Onaiyekan

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by dokyOloye: 6:35am On Dec 04, 2019
godwinkessi:
Which of them has a private jet?
none bro

9 Likes

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by dokyOloye: 6:35am On Dec 04, 2019
Chi59:
how many done knack you?

10 Likes

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by dokyOloye: 6:36am On Dec 04, 2019
englishmart:
Most top ranking clergies are clandestine politicians. Onaiyekan is no exception.
if you say something like 'congratulations your lordships' will your pant tear?
why d negativity this early morning?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by dokyOloye: 6:38am On Dec 04, 2019
lonelydora:
Congratulations Kaigama.

Please lead us aright.
amen

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by MoIbrahim: 6:38am On Dec 04, 2019
Onaiyekan, one very Godly Christian leader. Not like those ungodly businessmen of God. Those who make money from their church but still have followers.

7 Likes

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by dokyOloye: 6:38am On Dec 04, 2019
Mightyhaiz:
Is that all you can say about these exemplary clergy men? With your squirrel teeth.
you defined her well grin

8 Likes

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by englishmart(m): 6:42am On Dec 04, 2019
dokyOloye:

if you say something like 'congratulations your lordships' will your pant tear?
why d negativity this early morning?
Diversity is the beauty of life.

1 Like

Re: Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja by Damibiz(m): 6:43am On Dec 04, 2019
God give you the grace to be able to lead his flock in the right way,Amen

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Knows About White-garment Churches? / Christianity Vs. Satanism / What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.