Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,509 members, 7,808,863 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:12 PM

Journey To Democracy; A Reflection. By Cherrybae - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Journey To Democracy; A Reflection. By Cherrybae (281 Views)

Gbajabiamila’s ‘outburst’ Against Chinda, A Threat To Democracy —PDP / Buhari Chides SGF For Not Inviting Orubebe To Democracy Lecture / Senator Shehu Sani Identifies 15 Threats To Democracy In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Journey To Democracy; A Reflection. By Cherrybae by Cherrybae(f): 11:30am On Dec 04, 2019
I remember 1999 vividly, I remember Eagle Square and what happened there on the 29th of May, 1999. 20 years after, so many things have happened.

From Eagle Square where power changed hands in 1999, I have seen many who were present on that day but today, have been forgotten in idle permanent homes of their graves.

I remember how Nelson Mandela walked into the venue and the ovation that followed and with my same eyes I saw him in a casket.

In my eyes Stella Obasanjo rose to affluence and influence and with my eyes I saw her being driven out of power in a casket.

In my eyes Desire Kabilla who was also at Eagle Square fell to the bullets of his bodyguard in DR Congo. A former minister of Health, Prof Ransome Kuti was buried.

In my eyes Chuba Okadigbo rose, fell and died. Abubakar Rimi and Alex Ekwueme who contested a Presidential primaries with incumbent Obasanjo in 2003 at the same Eagle Square had their funerals organized.

In my eyes, "almighty" Tony Anenih called Mr Fix it, laid in-state helplessly in Benin as he couldn't fix death. Prof Dora Akunyili, the strong woman who was everywhere, fell on a street of India.

In my eyes, "Evil Genius" begin to wear canvass on an agbada on a wheelchair in Minna as he watches life without his once powerful wife, Maryam.

In my eyes Edwin Ume Ezeoke was buried, Gen. Victor Malu's obituary was in the news.

In my eyes, a Sultan fell from the sky, the remains of the owner of Bolingo Hotel was seen at Lisa village.

In my eyes Bola Ige fell, Suntai crashed and died, once landlords of Plateau and Taraba, Dariye and Nyame walked into prisons.

In my eyes, almighty Olabode George went and came out of prisons. Justice Salami heard the news of the death of Justice Katsina Alu. Before me, I saw powerful James Ibori who financed Yaradua's presidential election run like a coward to Dubai where he was extradited and jailed in UK.

In my eyes, a Landlord fell in Kwara and a strongman won election in Kogi but never lived to hear his victory announcement.

In my eyes, Azazi reigned and fell, Yakowa never lived to tell a story. Oronto Douglas who was once a powerful man behind the throne was buried.

In my eyes, Yar'adua came and fizzled out of power like two of his ministers.

In my eyes, I Fejiro Oliver saw the strongman of Ibadan politics, Adedibu, who removed a whole sitting governor and made Obasanjo to come same afternoon for peacemaking, rolled in a mat to the grave

In my eyes, I saw Tompolo who was powerful under Goodluck Jonathan, demystified and chased into hiding never to return under Buhari.

In my eyes, Solomon Lar that sat that day as PDP Chairman, a symbol of power and affluence was buried on a plateau.

In my eyes, tested Bukola Saraki could not win his reelection and now hunted with his properties seized. This was a two time governor and number three man in Nigeria as Senate President now powerless.

While still alive, newspapers carried how once powerful men like Olisa Metuh, Dasuki all turned into vegetables by EFCC.

In my eyes, I saw strong men rise and fall very cheaply. If this writeup should teach us anything, let it be known that power is transient. God gives who he wants to give. He says "I will have mercy on who I want to have mercy on".

To those of you today in power, where would you be in the next twenty years?

In 2039 when names like Buhari, Atiku, Amaechi, Wike, Saraki, Ekweremadu, Tambuwal, Mark, Dave, Onu are mentioned what would that child write about them then?

As we approach life, have it in mind that POLITICAL POWER IS NOT PERMANENT. THIS SAME POWER HAS CONSUMED MEN, DESTROYED MARRIAGES, CUT SHORT DREAMS, ENDED RELATIONSHIPS, BETRAYED TRUSTS AND KILLED FELLOW HUMANS... Is it worth dying for?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Journey To Democracy; A Reflection. By Cherrybae by Brandstudio01: 11:33am On Dec 04, 2019
Great piece of info there
Re: Journey To Democracy; A Reflection. By Cherrybae by Nobody: 11:37am On Dec 04, 2019
Good write up
Re: Journey To Democracy; A Reflection. By Cherrybae by helinues: 11:39am On Dec 04, 2019
Thought provoking
Re: Journey To Democracy; A Reflection. By Cherrybae by Cherrybae(f): 11:55am On Dec 04, 2019
For those who bash themselves here on NL, Nigeria and politicians are not worth dying for.
Re: Journey To Democracy; A Reflection. By Cherrybae by orion7: 11:55am On Dec 04, 2019
in my eyes , a clanish relic was brought from 1984 to preside over this nation.

nigeria has been making mistakes. but this singular mistake will rave on

1 Like

Re: Journey To Democracy; A Reflection. By Cherrybae by 7lives: 1:33pm On Dec 04, 2019
Right before my eyes, a whole tribe became wailers simply because their preferred candidate didn't make it back to Aso rock
Re: Journey To Democracy; A Reflection. By Cherrybae by orion7: 2:17pm On Dec 04, 2019
ryt before our eyes we will see what will happen to the hailers of trevesty. once upon a time a sage swallowed rat poison after hailing travesty. hailing travesty got him no where grin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Banning Polygamy Is The Best Way To Curb Population / Sowore’s Co-defendant, Bakare Have Been Declared Missing By DSS / Obaseki Commends President Buhari On ‘visa On Arrival’ Policy*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.