Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,261 members, 7,807,900 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:09 PM

How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? (26915 Views)

I Mistakenly Impregnated My Troublesome Baby Mama / How I Sent My Troublesome First Wife Packing Peacefully / Please I Need Advice To Evict My Step Brother From My Family House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by like1: 11:09am On Dec 05, 2019
I have to say this again, the selfishness we brew these days in our Igbo families, I really don't get it. I am sure the problems between your father and the brothers arose because either your father or mother is trying to be Lord over them just because they live in your house and they resisted.

Your parents should learn to tolerate his brothers. As you said, they can't go and live in the bush, the so called ancestral land till they build theirs and you also know they are not capable to.

Imagine, what your father and his siblings are going through and you think later it will not be the same between you and your siblings. Let me tell you what will happen, if you guys succeed in pushing your uncles out. The next fight will start between you and your siblings over same house. I am telling you from experience, it is psychological. I has happened in many families I know, even mine.

Moreover, which relationship do you want to maintain with your cousins when through your parents you chased them away from the house.

This is the same problem that happened in my paternal family and now happening between my maternal uncles. People will never learn. The level of selfishness these days is really overwhelming. I don't get it.

My story;
If you like learn from it.

My uncle built an up-stair (big house) in the early 80's. Both families all live in the city, so we just come back to stay in the village house during Xmas and sometimes Easter. Within the few days in the village, their mum and mum will always quarrel. I mean sometimes even physical because both women were always at loggerheads with flimsy things. E.g one of my brothers (a kid then) 'pooed or peed' in the compound, my mum was cooking here and not there. So this quarrel has been there for years when we were kids till our late teenage years when it escalated. My Dad even though not buoyant, started to build a house but then they were not even patient enough for my Dad to near completion of the house before we were sent packing. My Dad had to sell a small property in the city to even roof the building. Then we moved. Of course the relationship dwindled, everybody started minding his or her business.

Now, in less than 7 years, we are better of. Completed my Dad's building, built another with complete finishing and live better and bigger. However their house remained uncompleted as it has been, no fence, not tiled, no paint and all that. Now, they all want a closer relationship but naturally it can't happen, the discord is there already. The news around the village now is that my cousins (now adults and married) are quarreling on who will occupy upstair of the house and who will stay down. Imagine.

Don't neglect people. Nobody is God. Everybody fit pick.

4 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by sacx: 11:09am On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:

We have advised him to involve both, but he is reluctant, he will rather call never-ending meetings that never yield any result . My dad is all these 'peace loving' kind of people. There is nothing that these people have not done in his own house.

If he won't do it himself, then enter an agreement with your siblings and take up the initiative. He may kick initially, but strengthen your resolve and he would thank you in the end.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by ChiefSweetus: 11:09am On Dec 05, 2019
Lmao are you guys broke? Your dad does not know any AIG? Or Colonel? Wow.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Gradieu: 11:10am On Dec 05, 2019
If your dad is buoyant he should build a two room apartment for them, he indulged their laziness all this while and now want to quit them because of strained relationships... no Umunna will judge in your favour to quit your brothers who have no house of their own..

3 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by causimalbarka(m): 11:11am On Dec 05, 2019
madridguy:
It is true that some mistakes can never be corrected in life. Tell your dad to try and make peace with his brothers and forget about evicting them.
You should also try your best to stay neutral so your relationship with your cousins will forever remain intact.

Don't u think they haven't tried this..

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by vincentjk(m): 11:13am On Dec 05, 2019
My uncle gave my dad a room and his two elder brothers self contain each in his mansions many many years ago before i was born, but as men with reasoning, everybody has built his own house and moved away long time ago to avoid embarrassment.

I wonder how your uncles reason abi na the kyn hand your dad bn give them before dy cause all these rubbish

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Bigcowhorn: 11:14am On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:
Please I need legal or customary advice from experienced people.

My dad built a house in the early 80s; a 5 bedroom bungalow, that's before he got married. As at the time he completed the building, he was about to get married, while his 2 brothers were still single then. Because my dad was not based in my town, he gave all his 2 brothers 1 room each to stay in, as they were bachelors. My family occupies 3 rooms ensuite, while my uncles occupy the other two rooms, with a detached kitchen and toilet.

As time went on, they later got married, but still kept living in the single rooms. Now they have families, with my oldest cousin being in his 20s.

The problem is that the relationship between my dad and his brothers has deteriorated terribly over the past years to the extent that my uncle's and their wives now threaten my parents with murder and diabolical acts. In fact, I can't put on text the many issues that have arose between my parents and my uncles.

Now, my dad wants them to vacate his house but they bluntly refused saying that they will live there for as long as they wish. As the first son, he has divided their ancestral lands amongst them, but they have refused to put up there.

Their continued stay in that house has become a huge source of worry and headache to my parents. There is no day that one issue or the other doesn't come up.

My dad has reported them severally to the 'umunna', but this hasn't yielded any benefit. As members of the umunna are people of questionable judgement. They keep telling my dad to wait till my uncle's build their own house, but they are not even interested in building anything, as they have made it clear that they will live with my parents, just to be monitoring them.

You may not win the land dispute due to lack of papers and all. I don't know but what i do know is that you are overlooking one imporant reasonfor kicking them out with the police.

Threat to life.

Get a voice recording as evidence if you can.

5 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by ChiefSweetus: 11:14am On Dec 05, 2019
cRobo:
You will have to involve the police and customary court

Do this ASAP

If your Dad is late there is nothing you or your mother will be able to do to evacuate them

Probably they are waiting for you Dad to be late so they claim the property

Evict now that your Dad is alive by all means
Listen to this advice!

1 Like

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Forumobserver12(m): 11:14am On Dec 05, 2019
jaymichael:
He should just sell the house or transfer to a management company.

Village House? Who will buy or manage village house ?

2 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Yankee101: 11:16am On Dec 05, 2019
1. Let him sell the place and move out

2. Let him build another place and move out

3. Let him give it to them and move out
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by baby124: 11:17am On Dec 05, 2019
like1:
I have to say this again, the selfishness we brew these days in our Igbo families, I really don't get it. I am sure the problems between your father and the brothers arose because either your father or mother is trying to be Lord over them just because they live in your house and they resisted.

Your parents should learn to tolerate his brothers. As you said, they can't go and live in the bush, the so called ancestral land till they build theirs and you also know they are not capable to.

Imagine, what your father and his siblings are going through and you think later it will not be the same between you and your siblings. Let me tell you what will happen, if you guys succeed in pushing your uncles out. The next fight will start between you and your siblings over same house. I am telling you from experience, it is psychological. I has happened in many families I know, even mine.

Moreover, which relationship do you want to maintain with your cousins when through your parents you chased them away from the house.

This is the same problem that happened in my paternal family and now happening between my maternal uncles. People will never learn. The level of selfishness these days is really overwhelming. I don't get it.

My story;

My uncle built an up-stair (big house) in the early 80's. Both families all live in the city, so we just come back to stay in the village house during Xmas and sometimes Easter. Within the few days in the village, their mum and mum will always quarrel. I mean sometimes even physical because both women were always at loggerheads with flimsy things. E.g one of my brothers (a kid then) 'pooed or peed' in the compound, my mum was cooking here and not there. So this quarrel has been there for years when we were kids till our late teenage years when it escalated. My Dad even though not buoyant, started to build a house but then they were not even patient enough for my Dad to near completion of the house before we were sent packing. My Dad had to sell a small property in the city to even roof the building. Then we moved. Of course the relationship dwindled, everybody started minding his or her business.

Now, in less than 7 years, we are better of. Completed my Dad's building, built another with complete finishing and live better and bigger. However their house remained uncompleted as it has been, no fence, not tiled, no paint and all that. Now, they all want a closer relationship but naturally it can't happen, the discord is there already. The news around the village now is that my cousins (now adults and married) are quarreling on who will occupy upstair of the house and who will stay down. Imagine.

While one is squatting and homeless, the person has to be very humble and put other family members in check. So that they don’t inconvenience or become a nuisance to their hosts. Anybody call fit pick, but don’t be a nuisance while waiting for the call.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by frozen70(f): 11:19am On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:

My dad built a house in the early 80s; a 5 bedroom bungalow, that's before he got married. As at the time he completed the building, he was about to get married, while his 2 brothers were still single then. Because my dad was not based in my town, he gave all his 2 brothers 1 room each to stay in, as they were bachelors. My family occupies 3 rooms ensuite, while my uncles occupy the other two rooms, with a detached kitchen and toilet.

As time went on, they later got married, but still kept living in the single rooms. Now they have families, with my oldest cousin being in his 20s.

The problem is that the relationship between my dad and his brothers has deteriorated terribly over the past years to the extent that my uncle's and their wives now threaten my parents with murder and diabolical acts. In fact, I can't put on text the many issues that have arose between my parents and my uncles.

Now, my dad wants them to vacate his house but they bluntly refused saying that they will live there for as long as they wish. As the first son, he has divided their ancestral lands amongst them, but they have refused to put up there.

Their continued stay in that house has become a huge source of worry and headache to my parents. There is no day that one issue or the other doesn't come up.

My dad has reported them severally to the 'umunna', but this hasn't yielded any benefit. As members of the umunna are people of questionable judgement. They keep telling my dad to wait till my uncle's build their own house, but they are not even interested in building anything, as they have made it clear that they will live with my parents, just to be monitoring them.

You see why I don't support this idea of bringing your brothers to leave in the same house

There is no way you will give someone comfort and expect him to just leave his comfort

I suggest, if there are family vacant lands within
Let him build a room each and let them pack in their even if it means using police since the kins men are biased over it

Just a room of 12/12 and a little shelter for cooking

They can poo in the Bush if they can't get a pit toilet

You see, if these idiots don't pack out and your father is no more, they will face you guys

So the best way if for him to eject them out with whatever means

His sacrifice will be to build a room each for them to pack in

If he builds room and parlour he has given them over comfort

Just a room each

As they are with you guys, no room for family privacy and they are already monitoring spirits

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Omoluabi16(m): 11:26am On Dec 05, 2019
. With their threats, and backing of those shameless umunna's if anything happens to him you should kiss that property goodbye. Now is the time to act. Police and lawyer COULD easily be compromised. Best bet is to dispose of the house totally.. forget whatever attachment you guys may have. Your dad should be pushing 60 or 70 years now, so it's not really about him again but you. Do not let some ingrates steal your rights.
If your uncles are this shameless, I would expect their wives to speak sense into them.Apparently they're birds of the same feathers. Greedy and wicked.

2 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Nobody: 11:26am On Dec 05, 2019
like1:

My story;

Thank u my dear. Just look at how people are advising him to call police or go to court.
Really?
And pursue them out to live where?
That his dad should have pursued them away when he married. Just for one old house. They don't have the money to build. They see the house as family house irrespective of who built it. In my place u dare not try it. It's a taboo to pursue your brothers out of the house because u fight everyday. Nobody will ever support u. Even if they are a pain to you, u dare not tell them to move out. Look for the root of the quarrel and settle it.
Now as the son, instead of u to hustle more and build another house, carry your papa to the new house, u are continuing with the useless mentality. Everybody want to assume he is right. I wouldn't be surprised if u call these two guys, they will give a diff version.
Also, it's our house mentality is overriding their reasoning. Mum behaving like typical naija landlady and dad telling them they they can't even raise money to build a house of their own. We all know what we say when we are all worked up. The 3 families quarrel and shout and the kids take sides. Now he has grown,he should start reasoning like an adult with sense but her he is making the same mistake his dad made. I wish him luck. But this might trigger the children of the other two to make it in this world and at a point, him.or one of his siblings or children might need them desperately for one thing or the other

We all have mad people as parts of our family members.
It can even be us. But we learn how to manage and abide with them. Sometimes it pays to be the fool so that peace will reign.

3 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by like1: 11:28am On Dec 05, 2019
baby124:

While one is squatting and homeless, the person has to be very humble and put other family members in check. So that they don’t inconvenience or become a nuisance to their hosts. Anybody call fit pick, but don’t be a nuisance while waiting for the call.

Humble? You better say slave, because that is what our selfish minds would like to see as humble. Anyway, the society and values keeps going down and we all will still be the beneficiary of the decay. You can't plant rice and get beans.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Kayharry(m): 11:30am On Dec 05, 2019
Use all means ,prayers ,police , lawyer,area boys ,juju just use everything while ur parents are still alive else just forget the house when ur parents are gone.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by baby124: 11:31am On Dec 05, 2019
like1:

Humble? You better say slave, because that is what our selfish minds would like to see as humble. Anyway, the society and values keeps going down and we all will still be the beneficiary of the decay. You can't plant rice and get beans.
Yes you are a slave and beggar when you can’t afford your own roof. You should carry yourself with humility as the squatter and burden you are.

2 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by LabDNA: 11:32am On Dec 05, 2019
Sanchez01:
The best option right now is the legal route. Advise your dad to get a lawyer and also involve the police. Let the police invite the three of them, first make them sign an undertaking that they'd be responsible for whatever happens to your dad based on the threats.

Then have the lawyer serve a quit notice to them, possibly before the police. Of course, the eviction wouldn't be immediately but knowing that they have been legally asked to leave will render them incapacitated and plant fear in their hearts.

Whatever you do, DO NOT go the customary way because its approach towards something as this is not really efficient. The so-called Umunnas might be doing the bidding of your uncles.

With the ongoing trend, your cousins might be warming up to 'inherit' those rooms seeing your uncles have unconsciously laid claims to them. Advise dad to get a lawyer before visiting a station. I'd prefer a police command in your state. They are more effective at addressing issues as this one.

What if the police tells them, they don't meddle in family matter. I've seen such scenarios especially when enough money is not forthcoming.

1 Like

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by paix(m): 11:33am On Dec 05, 2019
Shegzy8:

You guys are just saying build another house as if it cost 1k to do that.
Have you read what the op said about his uncles being diabolical? How can you equate life to a house? Anyway I can't argue with you because I don't know what you value more, a house or your life.

"The problem is that the relationship between my dad and his brothers has deteriorated terribly over the past years to the extent that my uncle's and their wives now threaten my parents with murder and diabolical acts. In fact, I can't put on text the many issues that have arose between my parents and my uncles".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Omoluabi16(m): 11:34am On Dec 05, 2019
like1:

My story;

I don't understand. They got married there. Some of the kids are above 20.
They are threatening their benefactor and you call that selfishness? Who is stopping them from making progress or building 10 duplexes like your dad? Understand the pain of the O.P and don't let sentiments becloud your judgment.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Sanchez01: 11:37am On Dec 05, 2019
LabDNA:

What if the police tells them, they don't meddle in family matter. I've seen such scenarios especially when enough money is not forthcoming.
There's a threat to life already and I'm sure that concerns the police, if not anything. It's true that they won't meddle especially if there are several twists to the story, such as the property being built on family land, proceeds or money used in building the property was from the sale of a family property, etc. Other than those, the police will take a firm stance. It was why I suggested she advises her dad to use a police command HQ and not just some shop station.

1 Like

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by ahnie: 11:37am On Dec 05, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
Entitled siblings. Your dad should have known that trouble will definitely erupt someday when his brothers are married. Why didn't he encourage them to build all these years?

Same mistake my late father almost made .when he almost gave a portion be of his land to my uncle told build his house...thank God for my mum who stood her grounds and kicked against it.

The house his eldest brother z currently living with his family was taken abi jazzed away from my dad by his basterd diabolical brother.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Omoluabi16(m): 11:38am On Dec 05, 2019
sassysure:
In my place
Please bro, where are you from?
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by stubbornman(m): 11:38am On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:

Tell your Dad to sell the house.... you guys can buy another house and live happily ever after...
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Nobody: 11:39am On Dec 05, 2019
Omoluabi16:
. With their threats, and backing of those shameless umunna's if anything happens to him you should kiss that property goodbye. Now is the time to act. Police and lawyer COULD easily be compromised. Best bet is to dispose of the house totally.. forget whatever attachment you guys may have. Your dad should be pushing 60 or 70 years now, so it's not really about him again but you. Do not let some ingrates steal your rights.
If your uncles are this shameless, I would expect their wives to speak sense into them.Apparently they're birds of the same feathers. Greedy and wicked.
Don't delve into what u had no idea how it works if u are not igbo. This is not a house in the city but a village house. Even if u are the mad o e in the family, I mean a real mad one who roams the street, u must have a roof in your father's house. The person who built it doesn't matter.
The last born might be doing better than the rest and decide to pull down the old house that have and build new one. The house automatically belongs to every body in that family. That is how it's done. If u don't want your poor brothers to stay with you, then build something for them. Simple.

4 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Nobody: 11:41am On Dec 05, 2019
stubbornman:

Tell your Dad to sell the house.... you guys can buy another house and live happily ever after...
To sell village house to who, my dear?
And after selling the house, where will he live?
Where will the poster go to in the village?

When I thought I have seen it all here cheesy

3 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by like1: 11:41am On Dec 05, 2019
baby124:

Yes you are a slave and beggar when you can’t afford your own roof. You should carry yourself with humility as the squatter and burden you are.

Anyway, life knows how to humble people with the type of mentality you have.

I have noticed, no one who is really successful thinks this way, but only people who managed to get 1 or 2 things going for them at a particular point in time. You can't manage a successful business like this, because the employees who will make the money will definitely leave for better options or will just be inefficient because of the boss attitude.

If you like learn, or just be a regular abusive nairaland'er'.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by Osa0(m): 11:43am On Dec 05, 2019
Hmmm.
The good Lord is your muscle.

donifez:

I am not sure they can sell out rightly if the house is in the Obi. Does not look right.

1 Like

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by LabDNA: 11:44am On Dec 05, 2019
AceOfRed:

Funnily enough, I and my cousims do not have a relationship, absolutely none. But I and my siblings respect their parents and have never insulted them. But these my cousins are in cahoot with their parents to wreak havoc in the house.

My parents live alone with a househelp as none of my siblings is at home. So we always feel they are endangered.

About making peace, bros it is impossible now, believe me. I believe they can only tolerate each other when they begin to live apart.

Did you grandfather have any house? If yes, it can be renovated and they can move there. If not, tell papa to offer to build a small house one of their own lands.

When the case goes to court, they'll claim they don't have any place, then your lawyer will make it clear that your family have offered to help them renovate grannies house or build as family member, even if it is to give them cash. The court will then be comfortable to ask them to move out especially now that peace cannot be achieved in that house.

Living within the same space can be dangerous, and one party has to go, it cannot be your dad but them.

The police will only waste your time with their 'come today, come tommorow tactics' while draining you. Go straight to the court and make a direct complaint through your lawyer. Do it quick.
Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by baby124: 11:46am On Dec 05, 2019
like1:

Anyway, life knows how to humble people with the type of mentality you have.

I have noticed, no one who is really successful thinks this way, but only people who managed to get 1 or 2 things going for them at a particular point in time. You can't manage a successful business like this, because the employees who will make the money will definitely leave for better options or will just be inefficient because of the boss attitude.

If you like learn, or just be a regular abusive nairaland'er'.
I am successful beyond your wildest dreams. With your audio success. You refuse to recognize humility when someone shows you pity. Instead you are gloating at them because they rightfully chased you out for being a nuisance. Why will your mum be fighting another woman in her own husbands house? Rubbish. Well, at least your parents gave themselves brain and left. Unlike OP’s useless uncles.

3 Likes

Re: How Can My Parents Evict My Troublesome Uncles? by stubbornman(m): 11:47am On Dec 05, 2019
sassysure:

To sell village house to who, my dear?
And after selling the house, where will he live?
Where will the poster go to in the village?

When I thought I have seen it all here cheesy

Let them sell the house... the poster can bring his parents to stay with him in the city for the next 3months while they look for a very moderate bungalow to buy.... because if the man evict them , I swear those guys go kill the man... Family troubles no dey finish oooh

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

4 Children Of Same Parents Who Died Same Day Buried In Abia (Pictures) / I Don’t Talk With My Neighbors. What To Do / Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.