Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,408 members, 7,808,451 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:08 PM

Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion (1527 Views)

Primate Ayodele And His Ghana-must-go Opinion / Buhari: "I Will Try To Work Harder This Time, I Will Not Let You Down” / Atiku's Running Mate: Why South-East Should Not Let Go By Law Mefor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by TheSaxophonist: 8:12am On Dec 07, 2019
Vocal Nigerian government critic Omoyele Sowore has been at the frontlines of various pro democracy campaigns in Nigeria since the early 90s.

Since 2006, his renowned media outfit Sahara reporters, has come hard on corrupt government officials, inept public servants and even Nigerian mega churches.

Sowore’s confidence and sheer courage has earned him a reputation in a country where open dissent against the government is akin to playing Russian roulette with ones life. The journalist and former presidential candidate was arrested on the 9th of August for calling for a nationwide revolution protest.

In a fashion reminiscent of Nigeria’s dark military era; from trumped up charges to kidnapping, unlawful detention and proscription, the Muhammadu Buhari led federal government always goes after its critics with full arsenal.

In 2015, the all progressives congress (APC) presented Gen. Buhari to Nigerians as a reformed dictator. Riding on the wheel of change, the APC promised the Nigerian electorate an utopia which many swallowed hook line and sinker, out of desperation and a deep yearning for improved living standard.

Four years later. With a battered economy, rising taxes and record human rights abuses, the Buhari led government secured a second term at the polls by hook or by crook.

With Nigeria’s president who is head of the country’s executive arm of government, the Senate President who is head of the legislative arm, both card carrying members of the APC and the nation’s chief justice (head of the judiciary) appointed by the president earlier this year, Nigeria’s three arms of government are solidly in the hands of one party.

This power consolidation by the ruling APC has silenced institutional opposition, shifting the demand for good governance entirely on activists, civil societies and average Nigerians.

Nigeria’s civic space is shrinking, who is standing in the way?

Besides taking absolute control of the various arms of government, typical of banana republics, the Buhari led administration has intensified its crackdown on organized opposition.

A few cases

In December 2015, men of the Nigerian Amy raided the residence of Shiite leader Sheik Ibraheem Zakzaky, killing hundreds of his followers and injuring the aged cleric. He has been in detention despite several court orders for his release.

In September 2017, Nigerian armed forces stormed the residence of pro Biafran activist Nnamdi Kanu in a series of attacks killing scores of protesters.

On the 23rd of November 2018, a Kaduna based journalist Segun Oniboyo was kidnapped by Nigerian security operatives and later arraigned for defamation, following a Facebook post critical of the President and the Kaduna state government.

On the 28th of November 2018, the convener Concerned Nigerians was arrested by men of the Nigeria police force on trumped up charges of murder and defamation in the build up to the general elections.

In December 2018, in defence of human rights violation its committed, the Nigerian army called for an outright ban on Amnesty International and UNICEF’s operations in the country’s North East after shutting down the operations of international NGO Action against hunger.

Various accounts of rights abuse and violation of court orders by the Buhari led administration show that Nigeria is on the precipice of slipping into a totalitarian state.

With the absence of institutional opposition, the most vocal civil rights and social justice campaigns must be gagged to create the right atmosphere for totalitarianism. There is a deliberate and well orchestrated plan to truncate the Nigerian civic space and Sowore is standing in the way.

By Cephas Kadiri

Source:
http://www.gpggnigeria.org/why-buhari-will-not-let-sowore-go-opinion/

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by NewsMuncher: 8:26am On Dec 07, 2019
Whether you like it or not, Sowore commited treason by asking for a toppling of the government. That is terrorism angry

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by TheMainone: 8:28am On Dec 07, 2019
NewsMuncher:
Whether you like it or not, Sowore commited treason by asking for a toppling of the government. That is terrorism angry
In 2014, Buhari and APC goons threatened to form a parallel government, why did Jonathan not arrest them for treason? Or is that not treason too sir?

10 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Bethel4Life(f): 8:29am On Dec 07, 2019
Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Afamed: 8:31am On Dec 07, 2019
NewsMuncher:
You said it as it is. Even in US , where the rule of law is paramount. You can't plan to topple Donald Trump at the white house and expect the CIA and FBI not to react

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Afamed: 8:33am On Dec 07, 2019
TheMainone:

In 2014, Buhari and APC goons threatened to form a parallel government, why did Jonathan not arrest them for treason? Or is that not treason too sir?
Keep quiet, with your misleading quote. PMB never said he would form a parallel government in 2014

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Bethel4Life(f): 8:34am On Dec 07, 2019
NewsMuncher:

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by NewsMuncher: 8:36am On Dec 07, 2019
Afamed:

You said it as it is. Even in US , where the rule of law is paramount. You can't plan to topple Donald Trump at the white house and expect the CIA and FBI not to react
Calling for revolution should not be treated with kid gloves. People like Sowore and Nnamdi Kanu are enemies of the state, without mincing words they are actually terrorists and should be treated as such o.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Barondenigeria: 8:38am On Dec 07, 2019
Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Commentor: 8:46am On Dec 07, 2019
NewsMuncher:

Especially after having contested the same election which he lost in the same year.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Prompto: 8:50am On Dec 07, 2019
So El Zazaki is now a freedom fighter ?! This writer write like Ipob. I doubt if they both put on their thinking cap before taking on the pen.

3 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by NewsMuncher: 9:01am On Dec 07, 2019
Don't mind the op. El zakzaky's followers picked up arms against the state. If that is not terrorism i don't know what is

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Okpoko1: 9:02am On Dec 07, 2019
[s]
Commentor:

Especially after having contested the same election which he lost in the same year.

[/s]
Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Okpoko1: 9:04am On Dec 07, 2019
[s]
Afamed:

Keep quiet, with your misleading quote. PMB never said he would form a parallel government in 2014
[/s]
Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:20am On Dec 07, 2019
The bottom line is that Buhari had no respect for the rule of law whose constitutional powers affirmed him as the president!!!

Do we really have laws, what does the laws say about such offenders Where are the interpreters of laws chanting, "no one is above the law"

If the house of Representatives is not a rubber stamped one, Buhari's public disobedience to the rule of law is more than enough to impeach him!!!

But do we really have a CJN or HoRs

2 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by maasoap(m): 9:35am On Dec 07, 2019
Wiseandtrue:
The bottom line is that Buhari had no respect for the rule of law whose constitutional powers affirmed him as the president!!!

Do we really have laws, what does the laws say about such offenders Where are the interpreters of laws chanting, "no one is above the law"

If the house of Representatives is not a rubber stamped one, Buhari's public disobedience to the rule of law is more than enough to impeach him!!!

But do we really have a CJN or HoRs

As long as it is not Onneghen, we don't have CJN grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by ivandragon: 9:54am On Dec 07, 2019
Those saying sowore committed treason are missing the point...

Regardless of whatever offence the FG 'feels' sowore committed, a court of competent jurisdiction has granted him bail & that should be obeyed in a democracy.

In fact, it is funny when people say no government will sit by & watch people call for a revolution, same people defend the siege on the National Assembly by this 'regime' an act tantamount to a coup because the Legislature is more often than not, one of the key criteria for what truly defines a democracy...

Yet, dasuki is still enjoying his freedom...

Like I always say, supporters of this Draconian administration are unrepentant hypocrites...

3 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Okpoko1: 10:16am On Dec 07, 2019
[s]
Afamed:

[/s]

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Chikpat(m): 10:21am On Dec 07, 2019
TheMainone:

Did they form a parallel govt?
Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by TheMainone: 10:43am On Dec 07, 2019
Chikpat:

Did Sowore overthrow the government? sad

3 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Xisnin(m): 11:16am On Dec 07, 2019
Afamed:

What kind of plan?
Public protest?
You must think America is a banana republic where the government is untamed.

Even armed protesters are not molested in the US.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Xisnin(m): 11:18am On Dec 07, 2019
Commentor:

Another dullard.
There is no especially, he either commits a crime or not but that is too much for zombies to understand.
The DSS knows that he has no case, that is why the thugs will not let the court sit.

2 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Xisnin(m): 11:19am On Dec 07, 2019
Chikpat:

Did Sowore threaten a parallel government?
Did he make any attempt to remove a government official?

Sowore called for a "Revolution Now" protest against bad governance.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Afamed: 11:26am On Dec 07, 2019
Xisnin:

What kind of plan?
Public protest?
You must think America is a banana republic where the government is untamed.

Even armed protesters are not molested in the US.
Go to America and inform the Potus that you wanna topple his government. That by next week, there would not be CIA and FBI. Just give it a trial

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by naijaboy756: 11:28am On Dec 07, 2019
America is coming for their Citizen next week

2 Likes

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Okpoko1: 11:29am On Dec 07, 2019
[s]
Afamed:

Go to America and inform the Potus that you wanna topple his government. That by next week, there would not be CIA and FBI. Just give it a trial
[/s]
Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Xisnin(m): 11:35am On Dec 07, 2019
Afamed:

Please show me where anybody told Buhari that he wants to topple his government.

As to the US, you can say anything and nothing will happen.
If you don't believe me, provide one example of a US citizen being arrested for saying he
wants to topple the government.

It is difficult for you to understand because you cannot imagine an alternate life where you
are not a slave to the government.

Below is a picture of a woman who "beheaded" Trump.
https://www.tmz.com/2017/05/30/kathy-griffin-beheads-donald-trump-photo-tyler-shields/

Guess what your perfect FBI/CIA did to her?
Nothing.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by jelel6: 1:20pm On Dec 07, 2019
My take....
Well, there has been Alot of hysteria over the last few days as regards Sowore vs DSS. I follow a lot of news and this one just happens to be one of those I've overlooked without paying much attention. I believe I know why Sowore was arrested in the first place. Revolution Now? Who has forgotten? please check your dictionary and refresh the meaning of Revolution in the unforgiving context of a Sovereign state. You may make excuse for Sowore's Choice of protest Slogan but you can't Simply dismiss it! I mean, calling for a revolution is perhaps the equivalent of a Coup in the military setting. Guys, put it in perspective, a one time presidential candidate organizing a Revolution Whatever immediately after losing an election? in a democratic setting? what do you make of that? Sowore didn't believe in the court in the first instance, I'm forced to conclude. If his march was about losing the election, then Atiku's route was the right way to channel grievances nonetheless. If it was about the general state of the nation, I believe there are other channels available to explore. people have planned and staged protest during Buhari's tenure and went home without being arrested. I know there will inevitably be attempts to disrupt such protest by authorities though. But if you tag anything "Revolution", the government holding sway will interpret it as a call for similar "Revolution that has occurred in History Books". Perhaps this is also another way to channel grievances but it comes with grave danger and reward if successful. Perhaps, the overwhelming majority don't see any circumstance where Sowore successfully leads a "Revolution". I don't see it. the Courts don't see it. But Sowore still believes it. And from what his mother said yesterday about him always fighting for injustice and what is "right", I don't think he's ready to "Tell the government what they want to hear - Say na Play him dey play" Freedom of expression is a mirage that's only 90% true. Every Country and Nation keep the remaining 10% percent at "it's discretion". In Catalonia, for those who see more than what is in front of him/her, the Spanish Government have jailed the leaders calling for referandum. Nnamdi Kanu and Sowore are demanding for basically the same thing. Kanu only went farther in his endeavors. The government only grew wiser with Sowore and nipped it in the bud before it fester. ( The above are my thoughts. read carefully and you will see I didn't support anything, or side. I'm only interpreting the meanings of events. majority may disagree with it, that's fine. say so and express to yourself. Then we can have a discussion)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Afamed: 1:22pm On Dec 07, 2019
Xisnin:

Please show me where anybody told Buhari that he wants to topple his government.

As to the US, you can say anything and nothing will happen.
If you don't believe me, provide one example of a US citizen being arrested for saying he
wants to topple the government.

It is difficult for you to understand because you cannot imagine an alternate life where you
are not a slave to the government.

Below is a picture of a woman who "beheaded" Trump.
https://www.tmz.com/2017/05/30/kathy-griffin-beheads-donald-trump-photo-tyler-shields/

Guess what your perfect FBI/CIA did to her?
Nothing.

"I'm not talking of protest. I'm embarking on revolution. 85% of Nigerians are in support. Don't tell me about legal implications or what a Judge will say. I don't care. We must bundle Buhari out of that place...."

Omoyele Sowore....... July 25, 2019.

Goggle for further confirmation.Typical lazy youth

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by Olaikpu1: 1:34pm On Dec 07, 2019
[s]
Afamed:

"I'm not talking of protest. I'm embarking on revolution. 85% of Nigerians are in support. Don't tell me about legal implications or what a Judge will say. I don't care. We must bundle Buhari out of that place...."

Omoyele Sowore....... July 25, 2019.

Goggle for further confirmation.Typical lazy youth
[/s]
Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by imiski(m): 2:01pm On Dec 07, 2019
NewsMuncher:
BMC spotted
Re: Why Buhari Will Not Let Sowore Go- Opinion by mauriceju2(m): 6:12pm On Dec 07, 2019
LIAR
Afamed:

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Amongst The 18 Best-governed Countries In The World See List / Sex Shop Senator Ishaku Abbo Insults Adamawa State Governor And His Followers / Ngige, A Political Goat Taunting The Lion Of Burdillon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.