Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,023 members, 7,799,491 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

Steve Mnuchin, U.S. Treasury Secretary 'okay' With Facebook’s Libra - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Steve Mnuchin, U.S. Treasury Secretary 'okay' With Facebook’s Libra (148 Views)

What Should I Do ( I Am Not Okay With My Salary) / Libra: What You Need To Know About Facebook’s Cryptocurrency / Facebook Launches Libra, The Supposed New Paypal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Steve Mnuchin, U.S. Treasury Secretary 'okay' With Facebook’s Libra by Testboo: 10:41am On Dec 07, 2019
TestBoo.com

Steve Mnuchin, the secretary of the U.S. Treasury, has revealed he is “fine” with the launch of the Facebook cryptocurrency Libra, as long as it follows strict financial rules.

Per a report by Bloomberg, Mnuchin revealed his thoughts on the Libra cryptocurrency while speaking in a Washington, D.C. hearing of the House Financial Services Committee, responding to a question from a lawmaker. He said"

I’m fine if Facebook wants to create a digital currency, but they need to be fully compliant. In no way can this be used for terrorist financing.

Mnuchin revealed he has met with Facebook various times to discuss regulatory concerns. The cryptocurrency is set to be governed by the Libra Association, and is reportedly going to be backed by fiat currencies and short-term U.S. Treasury bonds. The support in terms of fiat is set to consist of the European euro (18%), the Japanese yen (14%), the British pound (11%) and the Singaporean dollar (7%).

Mnuchin also talked about the U.S. developing its own digital currency, and noted that both he and Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell do not see a need for it in the near future. Mnuchin stated:

Powell and I have discussed this – we both agree that in the near future, in the next five years, we see no need for the Fed to issue a digital currency.

It is worthy of note that the European central bank, according to a report, may launch its own digital currency if cash usage drops.

From TestBoo.com - https://testboo.com/steve-mnuchin-u-s-treasury-secretary-okay-with-facebook-libra/

(1) (Reply)

Some People Seem To Be Waiting For Me To Log On So They Can Type After Or At Me / The Cheapest Android Development Bootcamp(ilorin) / ACF Condemns Recent Killing Of Aid Workers By Boko Haram Terrorists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.