Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,356 members, 7,780,962 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:25 AM

Please Advise Me Concerning My Education. I Am Lost - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please Advise Me Concerning My Education. I Am Lost (754 Views)

Losing My Mind Please Advise Me / Am I Too Old To Further My Education? / I Am Finished. Bet9ja Virtual Has Ruined My Education,my Life And My Soul. HELP! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Advise Me Concerning My Education. I Am Lost by latebloomerr: 5:59pm On Dec 07, 2019
Good day Nairalanders, please I need your advice on a very important matter concerning my future. Pardon me for the length of my write up.

I'm 26 years old and I live in Lagos. I left secondary school in 2010, and since then, I have been moving from one menial, low-paying job to another. I've always had the desire to further my education but my parents don't have the wherewithal to help me actualise this dream; and up until this moment I couldn't help myself because all my previous jobs didn't pay enough for me to set aside any substantial amount toward funding my education. I was living from hand to mouth.

Sometime in November of last year, a friend of mine persuaded me to join him and work as a security guard. He explained that he worked 24-hour shifts. That is, if he resumes work at 6 a.m. today he wouldn't close until 6 a.m. tomorrow. With this arrangement, he went on, he worked for two different security companies, unbeknown to either of them, used the salary from one job to take care of his feeding, transportation, etc, while he saved the entire salary from the other job.

I saw this as an opportunity to save toward my education so I joined him. Even though resuming at one place of work after just closing from another has been extremely stressful and the combined salary from both jobs is just shy of 47k; I have soldiered on and by the end of January, I should have saved up 300k.

I have decided to attend NOUN. I can't go to a conventional university because I would be paying my fees myself and I have to work to be able to do that. From the enquiries I have made, I would spend about 80k to gain admission into NOUN, about 50k for second semester fees and about 20k for miscellaneous expenses.

Now here is the problem: I can't continue with these two jobs ad infinitum: they are very stressful, degrading and risky. I was hoping to obtain a 250k loan from the bank where I have my salary accounts once I had gotten into NOUN which I would then add to the remainder of my savings (about 150k, once I'm done paying fees at NOUN) to buy a Nigerian used car and use for business (I can drive). But the bank officials told me they would give me a letter to take to my company for signing, and both of my companies have told me without mincing words that they wouldn't sign it.

What do I do? I would be paying about 50k every semester at NOUN, so I need to at least maintain my current level of income to be able to keep my head above water. But I can't continue with these jobs because of the reasons I gave above. And I can't get a loan from my bank either. Please advise me.

Fynestboi, Richiez and Olawalebabs please help me take this to the front page.
Re: Please Advise Me Concerning My Education. I Am Lost by Olachase(m): 6:30pm On Dec 07, 2019
Lemme ask you just this one question have you discover ur talent
Re: Please Advise Me Concerning My Education. I Am Lost by latebloomerr: 6:39pm On Dec 07, 2019
Olachase:
Lemme ask you just this one question have you discover ur talent
No sir, have you discovered yours?

2 Likes

Re: Please Advise Me Concerning My Education. I Am Lost by Olachase(m): 6:45pm On Dec 07, 2019
latebloomerr:

No sir, have you discovered yours?
I found what I love doing at the age of 23 I never went to university!!! I can tell you my life is a testimony.
Re: Please Advise Me Concerning My Education. I Am Lost by Jman06(m): 6:51pm On Dec 07, 2019
Shelve the idea of going to school for now. Continue in your job and work towards getting the car first.
When you have gotten the car, resign in one of the jobs and combine driving with the other job.
By the time you have properly mastered the transport business, you can resign from the security job and only then should you enroll into NOUN.

That's my 2 cent.
Re: Please Advise Me Concerning My Education. I Am Lost by latebloomerr: 7:20pm On Dec 07, 2019
Olachase:
I found what I love doing at the age of 23 I never went to university!!! I can tell you my life is a testimony.
What was it that you found?
Re: Please Advise Me Concerning My Education. I Am Lost by latebloomerr: 7:21pm On Dec 07, 2019
Jman06:
Shelve the idea of going to school for now. Continue in your job and work towards getting the car first.
When you have gotten the car, resign in one of the jobs and combine driving with the other job.
By the time you have properly mastered the transport business, you can resign from the security job and only then should you enroll into NOUN.

That's my 2 cent.
I can't continue with the jobs. They are stressful beyond what words can describe.
Re: Please Advise Me Concerning My Education. I Am Lost by Jman06(m): 7:27pm On Dec 07, 2019
latebloomerr:

I can't continue with the jobs. They are stressful beyond what words can describe.
Then look for any means to complete the money and get the car FIRST. Don't go and waste the small savings you have on NOUNS yet. Get the car, start and master the transport business before enrolling into NOUN.

2 Likes

Re: Please Advise Me Concerning My Education. I Am Lost by Oluwaseunsodiq(m): 9:58pm On Dec 07, 2019
latebloomerr:

I might not understand where you are coming from, but I don't think getting a degree is the best option for you currently. You should pick up a skill that is high paying and develop it. That would provide you with more opportunities at a much lower cost.
Re: Please Advise Me Concerning My Education. I Am Lost by Laird(m): 10:08am On Dec 08, 2019
Keke is also an option...cheaper to buy and cheaper to maintain than a car.
Just don't overspeed
Re: Please Advise Me Concerning My Education. I Am Lost by oladayosenior(m): 11:50am On Dec 08, 2019
Try and learn one or two digital skills.
Re: Please Advise Me Concerning My Education. I Am Lost by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:59pm On Dec 08, 2019
You write very well even more than most graduates. Why not try learning digital marketing or programming.

2 Likes

Re: Please Advise Me Concerning My Education. I Am Lost by Georgeprecious: 1:44pm On Dec 08, 2019
Check out this site to learn digital marketing for free www.preciousmedia.com.ng
Thank me later
Re: Please Advise Me Concerning My Education. I Am Lost by sladimeji(m): 3:07pm On Dec 11, 2019
I will advice you to choose a federal university... I graduated from futminna, tuition fee and standard of living is not too high there...school fees is less than 25k for returning students.. You cannot continue doing these shitty jobs forever
Re: Please Advise Me Concerning My Education. I Am Lost by nlPoster: 3:13pm On Dec 11, 2019
Federal universities are cheaper, is there a reason why you didnt consider them? Or a polytechnic?

(1) (Reply)

Get 1GB data on uLesson via the MTN Network / How To Cook Fried Rice With Just Four Ingredients (step By Step With Pictures) / In North Korea, 39 Of The Craziest Things About Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.