Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,806 members, 7,802,579 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:40 PM

My Take On Shell To Operate On Ogoniland For Oil - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Take On Shell To Operate On Ogoniland For Oil (387 Views)

Shell To Sell More Oil Assets In Nigeria / President Buhari Receives Leaders Of Ogoniland At State House Abuja (Photos) / FG To Start Ogoniland Cleanup By December – Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Take On Shell To Operate On Ogoniland For Oil by adebayo987: 5:52pm On Dec 08, 2019
I stand on this saying:

"YOU CAN NEVER UNDERSTAND UNTILL IT HAPPEN TO YOU"

First of all, i'm not from there but i've been there twice and i try to know about their history with Shell.

Speaking as one Nigeria because they are our people whether you like it or not, we are all Nigerians and all Nigerians should be treated equally. However, politicaly, they are nowhere so to speak, so presently, they are voiceless and any of them who is up there become afraid to really help their people's desire, instead they roll with others who doesn't give a shit about them (politicaly). To cut the story short and go straight to the point, it will be painful and bad if the Government allow Shell to operate in Ogoni for whatever reason.

Why i said so:
Imagine a situation whereby you allowed a friend in your home and this friend took advantage of your home to the extend that you loss your wife and children to death. First of all, this friend will become an enemy and will never get a second chance to enter your home again no matter what happens.

The Ogonis allowed Shell to operate on their land. Shell polluted their land and take away their pride. When one of their sons try to peacefully solicit for the attention of Shell to do the right thing (according to them, it was between Shell and the Ogonis but Shell involved the Military gov't, knowing too well that Abachi loved money, they bribed him to use law against the Ogoni sons). He (Ogoni son) and all involved were brutaly killed after been tried in our Nigerian court (not because they carried arms or committed any crime but because they want to farm and fish again since their land and water was polluted in order to survive). I swear, Shell would have stopped their operations in Nigeria if that had happened on Yoruba land. In fact, if it had happened on your land, you won't behave any different from the way the Ogonis are acting right now when they hear the name "SHELL".

It is not like the people don't want their oil to be explored. THEY DON'T WANT SHELL TO DO IT. Any government personnel asking the Ogonis to allow Shell to operate on their land must have been bribed and should be investigated. Now you want the same Shell who are the reasons for UNEP REPORT to still continue with their gas flaring (hmm). Please, know some history before you talk.

My question is, is Shell the only oil drilling company in the world to operate on Ogoni land? Our economy is suffering, can't we get other companies to do it for us? I would suggest that Dangote's refinary (in progress) should be the company to operate on Ogoni land not a foreign company like Shell. They were the first foreigners to damage our law court before the ones happening now, so they are corrupt and they are like "we can get what we want by all means" please do that in your home country not in Nigeria.

However, others still insisting blindly that Shell should explore Ogoni oil, i have this for you "YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND UNTILL IT HAPPEN TO YOU, AND WHEN IT DOES HAPPEN DON'T COMPLAIN TO OTHERS WHO DON'T UNDERSTAND JUST ROLL WITH THEM AND INCREASE YOUR PAIN".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Take On Shell To Operate On Ogoniland For Oil by JonDon12: 7:42pm On Dec 08, 2019
Nice Writeup. Infact Shell should be banned from Nigeria.
Re: My Take On Shell To Operate On Ogoniland For Oil by helinues: 7:45pm On Dec 08, 2019
If not that the Niger Delta leaders are greedy and self centred, they would have demanded for developments instead of personal gains
Re: My Take On Shell To Operate On Ogoniland For Oil by Tajbol4splend(m): 8:10pm On Dec 08, 2019
The biggest problem we face in this country is that the love we have for money is more than the love we have for our country and ourselves. They should be banned but the people who have the power to ban them have a price and can be easily bought, is it Abacha or Obasanjo or Buhari that that they will throw billions of dollars to and reject it, this country shaa, God gave us everything a country can want but he gave us bad leaders, oma she o.
Re: My Take On Shell To Operate On Ogoniland For Oil by Nobody: 9:41pm On Dec 08, 2019
Tajbol4splend:
The biggest problem we face in this country is that the love we have for money is more than the love we have for our country and ourselves. They should be banned but the people who have the power to ban them have a price and can be easily bought, is it Abacha or Obasanjo or Buhari that that they will throw billions of dollars to and reject it, this country shaa, God gave us everything a country can want but he gave us bad leaders, oma she o.
You are correct bro.

A country whose unit of measurement for success is money is doomed to fail, sadly , that's why Nigeria won grow.

Nigerians rate success with the amount of cash you have, it is really funny because most people just hustle and make money without being truly happy.

I'm one of them, I just use the money to cater for my people but I know I would have loved to live a very private life if I were to be in a developed nation.
Re: My Take On Shell To Operate On Ogoniland For Oil by Remman(m): 8:36am On Dec 09, 2019
It's very sad to be in a country like this. Honestly, the people are not supposed to demand any development from Shell. Shell is supposed to develop there with free quality education, good roads, good water, health centre, maintain a clean environment, etc. But Shell don't want to do any of those that's why they keep bribing anyone who tend to come in their way or destroy you if you refuse to take their bribe. This is no different from slavery since they were the ones who colonized us. They hate that the black (animals to them) lands are blessed with so many riches. If they are given the chance, they would destroy Africa and occupy it. In fact, if you see Shell in Europe, you'll doubt if they are the same Shell in Nigeria.

The truth is, those guys don't care about the black community. So, until Nigerians end tribalism, things will remain worse and worse.

(1) (Reply)

See How Presidential Cabinet Sang At Buhari’s Birthday / Just In - Ganduje Appoints Five Female Special Advisers (See List) / Foreign Affairs Minister Attends Popular Comedian Wedding In Uyo (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.