Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,910 members, 7,799,062 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:42 PM

My Experience Living And Working In The UAE - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience Living And Working In The UAE (153207 Views)

My Experience Living In Germany And Trying To Learn German On My Own / My Experience Living And Working In Gambia As A Dentist / My Experience Living In China For 4 Months - A Nairalander (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by okeyben10: 2:53pm On Dec 09, 2019
Brother seun is viewing

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by lionlee216(m): 2:58pm On Dec 09, 2019
doitforyou:

But at least you can buy a one way ticket and self deport. From what I read on this thread, you can’t self deport in the UAE, you will be thrown in jail because you’re owing fines from your overstay. If that’s true, that’s crazy!

Thats why people need to know about the immigration law of the country you trying to migrate to..

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Larryfest(m): 3:20pm On Dec 09, 2019
lionlee216:
I be saying it, when u want to travel outside the country, kindly look at the immigration laws of the country you trying to move it. 2 people I know left UAE for US.

Why will someone hold my passport?You already answered this...

Can you guys drive in the UAE?
Working a whole 12hrs? Damn! Thats alot.
How many breaks are there in btw those 12hrs work?
Is there any benefit like medicals/paid time vacation/sick leave? Etc

Cc Champagnemami
You can drive in UAE as long as you have been tested and issued a drivers licence which cost about #700k above but the thing is if you are not too conversant with the road signs and networks na fine you go day use your money pay everyday, and as per the 12hrs job no jokes about it and your break might not be more than 30mins depending on where you work.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Champagnemami(f): 3:27pm On Dec 09, 2019
@doitforyou

Yea you get thrown in jail for some 3 months.

You usually face ds reality at the point of exit at the airport. So maybe at that point in time they might just decide to let you go. In which case a life ban will be placed on you. And I'm sure you know what that means even for visa applications to other countries.

But lets say the police busted you in a wrong situation like using the public transport and not logging in your card, then straight up to jail first, after 3months deportation, and then blacklist/ban

21 Likes

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Champagnemami(f): 3:34pm On Dec 09, 2019
doggedfighter:

Can you throw more light on CACHE certification. Duration and cost thanks

Cache pronounced cash.
Duration is one year, give or take. Costs around 1.5m naira. Not done in Nigeria. You might get it in SA

23 Likes

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by doitforyou(f): 3:37pm On Dec 09, 2019
Champagnemami:
@doitforyou

Yea you get thrown in jail for some 3 months.

You usually face ds reality at the point of exit at the airport. So maybe at that point in time they might just decide to let you go. In which case a life ban will be placed on you. And I'm sure you know what that means even for visa applications to other countries.

But lets say the police busted you in a wrong situation like using the public transport and not logging in your card, then straight up to jail first, after 3months deportation, and then blacklist/ban
Oh ok, thanks. I thought you’ll be arrested and thrown into jail when you’re about to exit. Yeah, it’s same everywhere, you get held at a holding facility/detention until your deportation order is processed.

Can you share your experiences teaching in Dubai?

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by lionlee216(m): 3:41pm On Dec 09, 2019
Larryfest:

You can drive in UAE as long as you have been tested and issued a drivers licence which cost about #700k above but the thing is if you are not too conversant with the road signs and networks na fine you go day use your money pay everyday, and as per the 12hrs job no jokes about it and your break might not be more than 30mins depending on where you work.

700k as in Seven hundred thousand naira only for a DL?

30mins break for 12hrs job is too small..

Here for 8/10hrs jobs at factories, You get 2 15mins break and a lunch break of 30mins..

For other menial jobs(excluding factories), You get breaks and 1hr lunch.

For 12hrs factory jobs, you get 3 15mins break and 30mins lunch..

How much does an average person save monthly on an a average job in UAE?

I heard people snatch passports and use it to travel home? Wont immigration detect them OR Africans look alike to UAE people too?

Can you be working at the same time schooling as to move up in career?

Thanks

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Champagnemami(f): 3:43pm On Dec 09, 2019
Cocao:
Please leave Champagnemami alone y'all. She is not the one that caused all these issues for UAE. she's not an agency, agent or employer, she created this thread to show the other side of living in the UAE legally. Let her proceed please

Lol
thanks mama cheesy

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by NONNYG: 3:43pm On Dec 09, 2019
Nice thread, I'm really enjoying it. UAE might not be the best country in the world but if you're lucky to have a good job here then you don win jackpot be that.

Meanwhile our 9ja agent has rendered so many people useless here

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Nobody: 3:46pm On Dec 09, 2019
Champagnemami:
I graduated some 7 years ago. I studied English education. Got done with the clarion call, and with as much fierceness and vigor I could muster, faced the labor market.

I started with Abuja. People had told me knocking on company gates could be more favorable than submitting applications on line. The rational was that sometimes there was just a single opening and the company would not bother to announce online. And so with my credentials and CV, I began my door to door job search.

It was that time of the year when the sun in Abuja was as extreme as the ice in Alaska, but I didn't relent embarassed When I remember those times, I keep asking myself if some few nuts were unscrewed in my head. I was living with my sis and her family at the time. She kept asking me to slow down but I no gree o cheesy. Maybe i thought if I suffered more, the blessing would come faster. And just like that it continued for the next 3 years - every year I would relocate to a different city in search of greener pastures. None of such moves yielded any tangible result. at some point of course I stopped the door to door.

My family could see the misery I was in and reached out. There were two options- go to the UK for a masters, or train to become a nurse. Care job is my 'hatest' job. So deep down I knew it was going to be a masters degree but after the degree then what? Return to Nigeria to face the same labor market?? Though this prospect seemed like a step up, it still wasn't a solution.

The powers that be, the ones footing the bills insisted I went for a nursing course since it was more lucrative. At a point i wanted to say I no do again but my Sis in d UK suggested I come see first and then I'll understand why nursing was it. And so I packed my kaya, headed for the UK.

One day, I had just finished from a campus tour at middle sex university and was just chilling in a cafe. I overhead some people talking about working in the middle east. There was this agency who was locally interviewing for the position of teachers in Dubai and how a CACHE certificate provided an edge. I was able to grab the name of the agency and looked them up online. By the next day, I had registered for a cache course

Congrats, i would say you are a hustler & it's good to know women like you. I also studied at Middlesex for BSC. Most of my colleagues came back to Nigeria with no jobs & are even earning as low as 50k in 2014.

I have since then been advising people not to travel to UK for studies as its a proper waste of time.

I only feel since you studied nursing and its more lucrative and stable career path than teaching. I could be wrong tho.

32 Likes

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by NONNYG: 3:48pm On Dec 09, 2019
lionlee216:

700k as in Seven hundred thousand naira only for a DL?

30mins break for 12hrs job is too small..

Here for 8/10hrs jobs at factories, You get 2 15mins break and a lunch break of 30mins..

For other menial jobs(excluding factories), You get breaks and 1hr lunch.

For 12hrs factory jobs, you get 3 15mins break and 30mins lunch..

How much does an average person save monthly on an a average job in UAE?

I heard people snatch passports and use it to travel home? Wont immigration detect them OR Africans look alike to UAE people too?

Can you be working at the same time schooling as to move up in career?

Thanks
Many Americans and Europeans are moving to UAE to work because they make more money here than back home. Here there's no income tax and so many benefits like health insurance, house allowance, paid tickets, phone bill allowance, children school fees, car allowance or free company transportation etc

One funny thing about UAE is that your passport sometimes determines your pay

A Nigerian passport holder and American passport will be doing same job but will be getting different salary

65 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by lionlee216(m): 3:51pm On Dec 09, 2019
NONNYG:
Many Americans and Europeans are moving to UAE to work because they make more here than back home. Here there's no income tax and so many benefits like health insurance, house allowance, paid tickets, phone bill allowance, children school fees, car allowance or free company transportation etc

That's Americans and Europeans nah...

Does that same benefits apply to africans trooping in to UAE on a daily basis for work?

If you are in Nigeria, where will be your preferred destination if asked to choose one?

You know say na u suppose open this kind thread dey e lighten us but you are forgiven lol

Thanks

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by lionlee216(m): 3:53pm On Dec 09, 2019
NONNYG:

A Nigerian passport holder and American passport will be doing same job but will be getting different salary

"Green Passport" vs " Blue Passport"

Nawa ooo

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by NONNYG: 3:54pm On Dec 09, 2019
lionlee216:

That's Americans and Europeans nah...

Does that same benefits apply to africans trooping in to UAE on a daily basis for work?

If you are in Nigeria, where will be your preferred destination if asked to choose one?

You know say na u suppose open this kind thread dey e lighten us but you are forgiven lol

Thanks
Hahahahaha, if I still dey 9ja, I go reason US oooo, once I don collect pali, na to move to UAE. America where one mad man go don shayo finish carry gun begin shoot people for street, mall, school etc

65 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 09, 2019
Champagnemami:
So I've been in the UAE for all of two years and boy has it been venturesome and hygge?

I've always wanted to write about my struggles in this seducing desert city but just never found the time.

'UAE' is a proper noun but I can't help myself, cry its always 'the UAE' to me.

I'll be taking y'all through steps on how i got here, how I got a means of livelihood, the stress and joy that comes with the job and all that.

Stay tuned.
isn't there scholarship ??
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by NONNYG: 3:56pm On Dec 09, 2019
lionlee216:

"Green Passport" vs " Blue Passport"

Nawa ooo
The difference is clear nah, I'm just using Nigeria as example, it could be A German and Indian, they will never get same salary

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by lionlee216(m): 4:02pm On Dec 09, 2019
NONNYG:
The difference is clear nah, I'm just using Nigeria as example, it could be A German and Indian, they will never get same salary

So what's the future of those that overstayed?

Is there any pathway to citizenship?

Does UAE Nationals date Foreigners esp Africans?

What's d average savings in a month ?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by drakeli: 4:12pm On Dec 09, 2019
Going to hustle in Dubai comes with a lot of challenges. Be careful about where you house yourself. UAE is a land of bedbugs cheesy grin

After three months of unsuccessful frantic effort to land a job in UAE, I returned to Nigeria with a load of bed bugs and their eggs hiding in every sewing edges of my suitcase without me knowing. Can you imagine bringing bedbugs on a plane with you? I declared a total war on my bedbug infested suitcase the very day I landed. The room where I stayed for the whole three months was an overcrowded room with a lot of double decker beds like a hostel with all their mattresses laden with bed bugs hiding in them.

Although my visit to Dubai was never a waste because it eventually served as a travel experience for me in getting my US visa.

Be warned!!!

136 Likes 13 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by maya007: 4:19pm On Dec 09, 2019
All these people with all this plenty talks and questions please allow her finish without interrupting her na if you know so much or have ur own story go and open ur thread and stop disturbing plp that want to learn biko

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by AntiMCU: 4:19pm On Dec 09, 2019
truthsayer009:

Congrats, i would say you are a hustler & it's good to know women like you. I also studied at Middlesex for BSC. Most of my colleagues came back to Nigeria with no jobs & are even earning as low as 50k in 2014.

I have since then been advising people not to travel to UK for studies as its a proper waste of time.

I only feel since you studied nursing and its more lucrative and stable career path than teaching. I could be wrong tho.
At the bold, are you serious?

Who still goes to the U.K for educational purposes?

Such person is uninformed.
shocked

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by NONNYG: 4:20pm On Dec 09, 2019
lionlee216:

So what's the future of those that overstayed?

Is there any pathway to citizenship?

Does UAE Nationals date Foreigners esp Africans?

What's d average savings in a month ?

No future for those that overstayed, except there's an amnesty. Last year there was amnesty , they were given option to leave the country without fine or get a new 6 months visa to look for job

No pathway to citizenship, even if you were born here still no show

Dating an Emirati might lead you into trouble, so make I no answer that question shaa

Your average savings depends on your salary & lifestyle. For me , I can decide to save all my salary in a month because I was given free accommodation, free transportation, medical, food, internet and postpaid phone .

Meanwhile VICTOR AD say phone dey ring na family dey call o, if e no be billing na something dey sub o, anyhow wey e be money is involvegrin

112 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by PrincessB1(f): 4:22pm On Dec 09, 2019
Damn sad

still following

CC Champagnemami continue please.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by NONNYG: 4:23pm On Dec 09, 2019
AntiMCU:

shocked
Hmmm, if you're following UK news then you will know you're the one who's uniformed

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by NONNYG: 4:25pm On Dec 09, 2019
Abeg make we allow OP to continue with her thread, I will be here to answer some questions if thrown at me

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by AntiMCU: 4:28pm On Dec 09, 2019
NONNYG:
Hmmm, if you're following UK news then you will know you're the one who's uniformed
I don't follow.

What's the latest?

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Nobody: 4:28pm On Dec 09, 2019
tongue nun
AntiMCU:

shocked

Did you see the year? I said 2014 graduate. I'm sure the knowledge you had now, you didnt have it back then. Thats how we all feel.

Dear Champagnemami, please continue your story when you have free time. Thanks for the enlightenment.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by NONNYG: 4:32pm On Dec 09, 2019
AntiMCU:

I don't follow.

What's the latest?
2 years post study work visa

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by MizzPhoney(f): 4:49pm On Dec 09, 2019
Okay let's hear it cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by soleexx(m): 4:53pm On Dec 09, 2019
Larryfest:

Your employer will seize your passport except you are on a freelance visa which is quite different from the 2yrs work visa and the freelance visa is very expensive, just like someone said up there it's more or less modern day slavery but you won't know until you get there and experience it yourself.

After 2 yrs can you get back your passport
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by AntiMCU: 4:55pm On Dec 09, 2019
truthsayer009:
tongue nun

Did you see the year? I said 2014 graduate. I'm sure the knowledge you had now, you didnt have it back then. Thats how we all feel.

Dear Champagnemami, please continue your story when you have free time. Thanks for the enlightenment.
Apologies, I didn't mean to take a dig at you.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by soleexx(m): 4:56pm On Dec 09, 2019
Champagnemami:

Sorry dont get your question.
Can you rephrase?

Getting 2years work permit with a specific company... Will the employer seize ur passport for the duration of your contract with them
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by CptCharlesVane: 5:04pm On Dec 09, 2019
I strongly disagree. I think you trivialize what is going on concerning workers’ rights in some of these Arab countries by saying there is slavery everywhere. No, real slavery is right around you and you know it. There have been numerous NGOs set up with petitions stacked about this same issue.

The people who haven’t gone home in Europe or America never want to leave in comparison and it is never because of an employer or some employment ‘contract’ with passport seized.

Your agent and employer released your passport back to you but how would another person tell from their country of origin who would release or permanently hold on to theirs?

Anyway, good luck with everything. Hope you are really as free as you make it seem. I’ll continue reading.
Champagnemami:
@kelechi50

There's slavery everywhere.
Best bet is to stay in your home country.

You think its all rosy in Europe and the Americas.

Yeah granted no one holds your passport but you see instances where people live in advanced countries and dare not make a move out of the country, stuck there for even up to 10yrs cos its a requirement for papers

13 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (30) (Reply)

Nigeria Airways: The Nigerian Picture That Will Bring Tears To Your Eyes / Top 10 Countries In The World To Migrate To / Spanish Student Visas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.