Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,403 members, 7,808,439 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

My Experience Living And Working In The UAE - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience Living And Working In The UAE (153432 Views)

My Experience Living In Germany And Trying To Learn German On My Own / My Experience Living And Working In Gambia As A Dentist / My Experience Living In China For 4 Months - A Nairalander (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by soleexx(m): 5:08pm On Dec 09, 2019
NONNYG:
No future for those that overstayed, except there's an amnesty. Last year there was amnesty , they were given option to leave the country without fine or get a new 6 months visa to look for job

No pathway to citizenship, even if you were born here still no show

Dating an Emirati might lead you into trouble, so make I no answer that question shaa

Your average savings depends on your salary & lifestyle. For me , I can decide to save all my salary in a month because I was given free accommodation, free transportation, medical, food, internet and postpaid phone .

Meanwhile VICTOR AD say phone dey ring na family dey call o, if e no be billing na something dey sub o, anyhow wey e be money is involvegrin

Can you date someone from ur home country
And can you apply for permanent residence after 2 years
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Champagnemami(f): 5:25pm On Dec 09, 2019
CptCharlesVane:
I strongly disagree. I think you trivialize what is going on concerning workers’ rights in some of these Arab countries by saying there is slavery everywhere. No, real slavery is right around you and you know it. There have been numerous NGOs set up with petitions stacked about this same issue.

The people who haven’t gone home in Europe or America never want to leave in comparison and it is never because of an employer or some employment ‘contract’ with passport seized.

Your agent and employer released your passport back to you but how would another person tell from their country of origin who would release or permanently hold on to theirs?

Anyway, good luck with everything. Hope you are really as free as you make it seem. I’ll continue reading.

Dude,
I still stand my ground, there's slavery everywhere. Its now up to you to decide whether or not you wanna put up with it.

In naija theres been cases of people who work in factories owned by Lebanese/Indians/Chinese. They get locked overnight in these factories and there's a fire outbreak and there's no exit.
There are people in naija who work 18hours in a day for peanuts. These ones have a choice but they still do these jobs. When they manage to leave, other people take it

The UAE is not Oman or Saudi Arabia or any other extreme middle east state. Its not even Nigeria. Over here. workers right are protected here but people just choose to settle for less

I personally would never turn in my passport to any employer

86 Likes 11 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Larryfest(m): 5:31pm On Dec 09, 2019
soleexx:

After 2 yrs can you get back your passport
Sure, it will be returned to you except you still want to continue working with them.
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Champagnemami(f): 5:32pm On Dec 09, 2019
soleexx:

Can you date someone from ur home country
And can you apply for permanent residence after 2 years

There's no permanent anything here.
The longest contract you get is 3years after which it can be renewed.

You're free to date and marry and have kids.

Your employers would tell you if they wanna keep your passport or not.

Imagine you're working where you had access to huge sums and your passport wt you. What stops you from handing over the cash to your cohort and fleeing the country?

These employers are just tryna err on the side of caution and i tell you no one would hold your passport against your will. If you decide after 3 months to leave any job, your passport would be returned. But your employer would report you, and you'll be placed on a work ban

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Rextizzy: 5:34pm On Dec 09, 2019
Dubai is a cool place to have fun, although when I traveled, I didn't travel to look for job or anything whatsoever, just chill and have fun and it's worth it.

6 Likes

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by wink2015(m): 5:38pm On Dec 09, 2019
@ champagnemami !

WE DEY FOLLOW YOUR STORY !

Tell us more !
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Nobody: 5:39pm On Dec 09, 2019
Lemme dust my passport

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Forward77(m): 5:43pm On Dec 09, 2019
Champagnemami:
So I've been in the UAE for all of two years and boy has it been venturesome and hygge?

I've always wanted to write about my struggles in this seducing desert city but just never found the time.

'UAE' is a proper noun but I can't help myself, cry its always 'the UAE' to me.

I'll be taking y'all through steps on how i got here, how I got a means of livelihood, the stress and joy that comes with the job and all that.

Stay tuned.

There’s something beautiful about people who start their stories with “so”.

—Their stories are too long; to make you believe.
—They never tell the truth.

Please don’t take it personal, just an observation.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by CirocBoi(m): 5:43pm On Dec 09, 2019
2horsePOWER:
Conductor o WA oo! angry

lol

6 Likes

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Jaqenhghar: 5:47pm On Dec 09, 2019
CptCharlesVane:
The fact that they keep your passport from you should raise all red flags about the ‘job’ such things should be illegal. OP why don’t you tell us the kind of work you do over there.

Nigeria bad Nigeria bad so people becoming willing to consciously submit themselves to slavery undecided

People should stop breeding like rats in Nigeria to reduce all these unnecessary pressure of ‘taking care of my family abi village’
Are you not a slave in your own country? At least one can rationalize the Arab man or the european ill treating him but when my own, in my own country ( the one place I can beat chest anyhow) is treated worse than a slave then wahala dey

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by midnighter(f): 5:47pm On Dec 09, 2019
NONNYG:
Many

One funny thing about UAE is that your passport sometimes determines your pay

A Nigerian passport holder and American passport will be doing same job but will be getting different salary

I heard that the reason for this is because

They calculate your salary using what you would have gotten if you were back in your home country to incentivize you To go there

What somebody would be paid in america, and what it would take to get that person to work in the gulf, is not the same as that of Nigeria
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by UnitedFront: 5:53pm On Dec 09, 2019
PrincessB1:
This is modern day slavery.

Why will they withhold an employee's passport? undecided

The reason had been given. Because they paid for everything just to get you over there in order to work for them. So, they don't want you to run away and start looking for another job while your employer who paid for everything on your behalf makes loss

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by planetx: 5:55pm On Dec 09, 2019
You have to be crazy to go to Dubai in search of greener pastures. But hey what do I know.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by francesawesome(f): 5:57pm On Dec 09, 2019
Champagnemami:
I graduated some 7 years ago. I studied English education. Got done with the clarion call, and with as much fierceness and vigor I could muster, faced the labor market.

I started with Abuja. People had told me knocking on company gates could be more favorable than submitting applications on line. The rational was that sometimes there was just a single opening and the company would not bother to announce online. And so with my credentials and CV, I began my door to door job search.

It was that time of the year when the sun in Abuja was as extreme as the ice in Alaska, but I didn't relent embarassed When I remember those times, I keep asking myself if some few nuts were unscrewed in my head. I was living with my sis and her family at the time. She kept asking me to slow down but I no gree o cheesy. Maybe i thought if I suffered more, the blessing would come faster. And just like that it continued for the next 3 years - every year I would relocate to a different city in search of greener pastures. None of such moves yielded any tangible result. at some point of course I stopped the door to door.

My family could see the misery I was in and reached out. There were two options- go to the UK for a masters, or train to become a nurse. Care job is my 'hatest' job. So deep down I knew it was going to be a masters degree but after the degree then what? Return to Nigeria to face the same labor market?? Though this prospect seemed like a step up, it still wasn't a solution.

The powers that be, the ones footing the bills insisted I went for a nursing course since it was more lucrative. At a point i wanted to say I no do again but my Sis in d UK suggested I come see first and then I'll understand why nursing was it. And so I packed my kaya, headed for the UK.

One day, I had just finished from a campus tour at middle sex university and was just chilling in a cafe. I overhead some people talking about working in the middle east. There was this agency who was locally interviewing for the position of teachers in Dubai and how a CACHE certificate provided an edge. I was able to grab the name of the agency and looked them up online. By the next day, I had registered for a cache course
sister I am also a graduate of English Education but I'm in Nigeria. Sis which way?

5 Likes

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by NaijaOlosho(f): 5:57pm On Dec 09, 2019
grin
Let me sit here
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by UnitedFront: 5:59pm On Dec 09, 2019
NzubechiCitadel:
though I am desperate to leave Nigeria, but you see UAE I can't try it ooh, which one is seizing my passport so that I no fit move. it's pure modern slavery and this overzealous agents won't tell you such

What do you expect when they are the ones paying for everything?

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Nobody: 5:59pm On Dec 09, 2019
Champagnemami:

You're free to date and marry and have kids.

what of stories we hear of unmarried people living together and geting jailed?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by ednut1(m): 6:00pm On Dec 09, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
Lemme dust my passport
lol. U want make mr omar do u bad thin abi. Abeg o no go

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by ednut1(m): 6:01pm On Dec 09, 2019
PrincessB1:
This is modern day slavery.

Why will they withhold an employee's passport? undecided
its a control na lol. So you wont flee cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Raydos: 6:02pm On Dec 09, 2019
I always tell people Dubai is just for tourism and sight seeing, It is not advisable to settle down there!! It is hell of a place

Not for broke people, not even for hustling!!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Nobody: 6:02pm On Dec 09, 2019
ednut1:
lol. U want make mr omar do u bad thin abi. Abeg o no go
Lemme go so I can buy benz
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by tchidi066(f): 6:02pm On Dec 09, 2019
I'm learning a lot here and i must commend the op for taking her time to explain what's on ground ...studied education/english also and i have been weighing my chances of working in the uae as a teacher. Do i need a certain certification or is my degree enough, also is working experience and English proficiency test required ...i need answers

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by budaatum: 6:03pm On Dec 09, 2019
CptCharlesVane:
The fact that they keep your passport from you should raise all red flags about the ‘job’ such things should be illegal. OP why don’t you tell us the kind of work you do over there.

Nigeria bad Nigeria bad so people becoming willing to consciously submit themselves to slavery undecided

People should stop breeding like rats in Nigeria to reduce all these unnecessary pressure of ‘taking care of my family abi village’
Funny thing is most Nigerians would not clean Nigerian roads for any amount but won't mind cleaning streets in Dubai. Same as we wouldn't clean ass in Nigeria but don't mind cleaning ass in US and UK.

I guess the pay for cleaning ass and roads in US, UK and UAE might be more than cleaning ass and roads in Nigeria, and the supposed indignity of it too might be a barrier. But between clean ass and starvation, a rock and survival.

I hawked eggs and canned coke at the toll-gate in Lagos to fund going UK and scrubbed toilets to go uni when I got there and now semi-retirement is bliss.

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by midnighter(f): 6:06pm On Dec 09, 2019
Raydos:
I always tell people Dubai is just for tourism and sight seeing, It is not advisable to settle down there!! It is hell of a place

Not for broke people, not even for hustling!!

Is it that bad Or are our reservations mostly cultural

Remember that our northern comrades like going and staying there

If you have a qualification like nurse, teacher or you sell goods would it be worse than any other place?

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by marvin906(m): 6:07pm On Dec 09, 2019
seems Oman is better than Dubai..
high currency made me ditch Dubai would have taken Kuwait buh that one na isrealite journey..
buh seriously niggas are suffering sha

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by GoldenJAT(m): 6:09pm On Dec 09, 2019
Champagnemami:

Most job contracts have a 2year duration.
After one year you're entitled to a paid vacation that includes to and fro flight to your home country. Many of this contract require that you work at least a year b4 you can resign.

In my case, I work as a teacher and I can only resign at the end of an academic session.

Anything short of this is a breach, and can result in a work ban.

If your employer refuses to give you your passport and you're able to make a case against him, he can be blacklisted and deported too. The UAE is not that lawless
Good evening ma'am! I would really appreciate if you can put me through the steps in getting a teaching job there. I'm a teacher and love what I do... Is there any course(s) one would need to take?

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by vicsongreat(m): 6:09pm On Dec 09, 2019
Akiliogidi:

Oh OK, thanks for the clarity, the agent never told me this ...
But is it that easy to walk up to your boss to tell him you are not working again? what if he refuses? what next?
Success wishes though, one day be one day I will surely leave Naija
once you have worked up to seven months, you have 100% right to cancel ur contract if you dnt like the job. If you also report to labour law that ur employer is withholding ur passport, he will be fined and ur passport returned to u.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by wirinet(m): 6:09pm On Dec 09, 2019
janettee:
Isn't it modern day slavery if your passport is seized by your employer?
This is the one that is quite annoying, why should an employer seize an employee's passport? The passport is the property of your home country, another person (especially a foreigner) has no right to hold it, not to talk of keeping it. This itself is slavery, or prisoner.

Nigerian government should look into this case, where a Nigerian passport is seized by foreigners (without a court order ) as a violations of Nigeria's sovereignty.

What happens if your walk into the Nigerian consulate in Dubai and complain that you have lost your passport or that your passport has been seized and you want to travel home, are they not obliged to provide you with a temporary travel document just to get you home?

20 Likes

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Ignatio(m): 6:09pm On Dec 09, 2019
@Op pls finish your story. Leave all this over sabi people.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by queengift(f): 6:09pm On Dec 09, 2019
please continue with your story dear, ignore this people derailing ur thread.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (30) (Reply)

Nigeria Airways: The Nigerian Picture That Will Bring Tears To Your Eyes / Top 10 Countries In The World To Migrate To / Spanish Student Visas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.