Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,156 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:51 AM

Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban (27786 Views)

Samson Siasia: Life-Ban Reduced To Five Years By Court Of Arbitration For Sport / Mario Balotelli Kicks Ball Into Crowd, Walks Off Pitch After Racist Abuse(photos / Siasia: NFF Reacts To Fifa’s Life Ban, Reveals Next Move (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by obembet(f): 8:57am On Dec 09, 2019
A Manchester City supporter was arrested for alleged racist abuse on Sunday and faces a life ban from the Etihad Stadium if found guilty.

Fred and Jesse Lingard both reported the incident after watching Sky Sports video footage inside the Manchester United dressing room.

One man was captured making an alleged monkey gesture towards the pair as they went to take a Manchester United corner midway through the second half.

A Greater Manchester Police (GMP) statement read: ‘A 41-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order (offence) and remains in custody for questioning.’ MailOnline identified the fan arrested as Anthony Burke, an Army veteran who works as a civil engineering manager at Kier Group.

GMP superintendent Chris Hill said: ‘I would like to thank the public for their ongoing support with this incident.

‘Racism of any kind has no place in football or our society and I hope this arrest shows that we are taking this matter extremely seriously. We will continue to work with Manchester City and Manchester United on this incident and will investigate any other lines of enquiries.’

The FA are also investigating and the episode came almost exactly a year after Raheem Sterling alleged he had been racially abused by a Chelsea fan at Stamford Bridge.

City’s chief executive Ferran Soriano sought United director David Gill immediately after the match to stress that the Premier League champions would do everything in their power to take decisive action. United’s executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward did not attend the derby.

There was a confidence at being able to identify any potential perpetrators given anyone purchasing a ticket for games is registered with the club.

City manager Pep Guardiola spent time with Fred — a midfielder he was once keen on signing — in the tunnel area as the two sides began departing the stadium.

‘Unfortunately, we are still in a backward society,’ Fred told ESPN Brazil. ‘We still have to live with that in 2019.

‘I try not to care about that. I try to look ahead. Unfortunately, this is happening in some stadiums. It happened here, it happened in Ukraine with some friends.

‘It’s sad, but we have to keep our heads up and forget about that. We can’t give them any attention because that’s all they want. I spoke to the referee (Anthony Taylor) after the match, they will do something about it and that’s all.

‘Thank God I have a lot of friends in the locker room who hugged me, like Lingard. I don’t want to think about it. I just want to move on.’

Fred was also struck in the head by a lighter from one corner of the Etihad Stadium. Rio Ferdinand was bloodied by a coin at the same end in 2012.

It is believed that objects were hurled at celebrating United players as Marcus Rashford’s penalty gave them a lead before half-time.

Chosen as Saturday’s late kick-off for broadcasting purposes, the derby was fractious all afternoon. Fighting occurred before and after the game.

Sportsmail understands one City fan was ejected amid a heated argument with a member of United staff sitting in the Colin Bell Stand. The employee had enthusiastically celebrated Anthony Martial’s second goal on 29 minutes. Both men were spoken to by security staff.

Meanwhile, Forest Green have launched an investigation and are expecting swift action to be taken by police after their 2-0 home defeat by Scunthorpe was halted because of reports of racist abuse.

Referee John Busby stopped the League One match when he was approached by Scunthorpe’s players who claimed defender Jordan Clarke had been racially abused by one home supporter.

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-7769861/amp/Manchester-City-fan-arrested-alleged-racist-abuse-against-Fred-faces-life-ban-Etihad.html

2 Likes

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by Deejaygold(m): 9:09am On Dec 09, 2019
FTC first time in 2019 dedicate this to all nairalanders. Back to the topic, NO COMMENT!

13 Likes

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by Ajiswaggs(m): 9:09am On Dec 09, 2019
grin
Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by ayodaisi: 9:09am On Dec 09, 2019
Bunch of fools

6 Likes

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by grandstar(m): 9:10am On Dec 09, 2019
A life ban is a slap on the wrist. A fine of £5,000 would be more like it or 6months of community service sweeping streets. The punishment must serve as a veey strong deterrent to such behavior to others who may want to follow suit.

I feel sorry for the bloke. He's bound to.have friends who are not white. They'll shun him. He has white friends who'll have nothing but scorn for him. I'm sure many of his white friends have wives or partners who are not white.

What of at his workplace or business? He may lose his job. The backlash may prove too hard on him. Won't be surprised if he makes a public apology.

Many who live in England will inform you that it is getting more multicultural each day. White Britons are now a minority in London for instance. I wouldn't pray to be in his shoes.

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by laurel03(m): 9:10am On Dec 09, 2019
oyinbo with hatred for blacks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by Chizmickey(m): 9:10am On Dec 09, 2019
This white people are pure racist, they just pretend because of the laws against racism, but deep in there heart, they are against the black man.

But am a black man, I am proud of my colour

49 Likes

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by badmrkt(m): 9:10am On Dec 09, 2019
Smoke screen. Look at how the steward was just looking away.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:11am On Dec 09, 2019
We are sure he will never be allowed to enter any football stadium again in his life.

It is that serious.

From all of us @ : SAY NO TO RACISM!

4 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by GEOANDSONS: 9:11am On Dec 09, 2019
Good move
Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by aminusodiq(m): 9:11am On Dec 09, 2019
1 0 t h.... To comment... /u cannot b enjoying FTC alone

1 Like

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by ghettokid1(m): 9:11am On Dec 09, 2019
Serves him right

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 09, 2019
Nice

1 Like

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by Caveman1707: 9:12am On Dec 09, 2019
Na wa
Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by danot1030: 9:12am On Dec 09, 2019
Let them send him to life jail self
Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by tsephanyah(f): 9:12am On Dec 09, 2019
“And among His wonders is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the diversity of your tongues and colors. For in this, behold, there are messages indeed for all who are possessed of innate knowledge!” (Quran 30:22).

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by Nobody: 9:13am On Dec 09, 2019
BLACK PEOPLE ARE THE REAL ISRAELITE.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by Nobody: 9:14am On Dec 09, 2019
post=84756935:
We are sure he will never be allowed to enter any football stadium again in his life.

It is that serious.

From all of us @ : SAY NO TO RACISM!
mechionu there. You have sold your rights for a meagre 30k

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by Kristoff9: 9:14am On Dec 09, 2019
Sterling was embarrassed
Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by okenwaa(m): 9:14am On Dec 09, 2019
Pained!!

#GGMU

Check my signature.
Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by Nobody: 9:14am On Dec 09, 2019
Na so .They FA has done nothing to deal with racism. Look at Luis Suarez then. Only an 8 match ban.

Shitty FA.

Check out my thread and tell me what you think.

https://www.nairaland.com/5567358/nba-predictions?iorg_service_id_internal

1 Like

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by franklingud(m): 9:15am On Dec 09, 2019
All these white pigs really hate Africans and blacks in general.
They just pretend

7 Likes

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by Nobody: 9:16am On Dec 09, 2019
Stupidity is when you have sterling , Jesus, fernandinho in your team and still go ahead racially abusing Fred and lingard

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by SKINDOGGY: 9:16am On Dec 09, 2019
laurel03:
oyinbo with hatred for blacks
Blacks with hatred to fellow blacks Tribalism

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by DGeneral123(m): 9:17am On Dec 09, 2019
Oga ooo this people and RACISM

Meanwhile, Lets Refill your Printer Toner Cartridge Today and Save Cost. Check my Signature for contact.
Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by vincentjk(m): 9:17am On Dec 09, 2019
This is what makes balotelli cry every time but players like mane no send u sef

Na u go tire with bullshit talk grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by SKINDOGGY: 9:17am On Dec 09, 2019
Chizmickey:
This white people are pure racist, they just pretend because of the laws against racism, but deep in there heart, they are against the black man.

But am a black man, I am proud of my

colour

Black man against black man all in d name of tribe nd beliefs in Nairaland

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by chukwuibuipob: 9:17am On Dec 09, 2019
cool serves him rite. They shud feed the ape looking thing with sour banana
Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:17am On Dec 09, 2019
OoniOfIfe:
mechionu there. You have sold your rights for a meagre 30k
YOU ARE RIGHT!!

6 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Man City Fan Arrested For Alleged Racist Abuse Against Fred Faces Life Ban by BigBasher: 9:19am On Dec 09, 2019
Say No to Racism

Meanwhile. ...

Out of the Blue

Nini Nova

Picture: ClipArt

© 2019

Bayo’s duties as Personal Assistant to his buxom boss, prove to make his dreams come true. He has earlier fantasized about the luscious woman and now has the chance to make all those dreams realities.

He nurtures the relationship with her and wishes he will prove to be a worthy sex companion to this sex goddess. Unknown to him, a grave danger lurks out of the blue.

You can download full story at: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/out_of_the_blue/30261

(1) (2) (Reply)

Allen Onyema Presents ₦20 Million Cheque To The Super Eagles / Raheem Sterling Scores First Champions League Hat-trick In 11 Minutes (Photos) / Igbo Arsenal Fan Upset With Arsenal After Efe Bbnaija Win(pics,videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.