Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,254 members, 7,807,872 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:11 PM

Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria (76049 Views)

Man City are the 5th club in English league football to win 3 titles in a row / Joshua Wants £40m To Allow Usyk Versus Fury Heavyweight Unification Bout / Anthony Joshua Regains His Heavyweight Titles! Joshua wins by unanimous decision (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by nedekid: 9:10am On Dec 10, 2019
mechanics:
lolz, but the government won't just put money into building a new stadium just for boxing and after the fight, that's all, they are other areas begging for government attention, just take for instance the roads.
Abi. The roads are more important.
In this case though the reference I made was a temporal kit structure.
Besides in other climes states make billions from hosting such event. Infact they bid to host and pay for hosting rights.
Its only in naija we host events and make a huge loss.

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by PreyingMantis(m): 9:22am On Dec 10, 2019
Btruth:
i didn't dispute that. I wrote "his fatherland".
Britain is his fatherland. I've NEVER heard the Nigerian national anthem played in any of his fights
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by Btruth: 9:30am On Dec 10, 2019
PreyingMantis:
Britain is his fatherland. I've NEVER heard the Nigerian national anthem played in any of his fights
story
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by DNSPro: 9:35am On Dec 10, 2019
Coldie:

When Andy Ruiz who is Mexican American entered d ring he played the anthems of his 2countries.

But this guy British Nigerian only played the anthem of Britain. Me as a Nigerian to me that is an insult to our country

Which insult? What has Nigerian done for him, except famzing when he had become famous, that warrant his patriotism? Andy likely did that because his people didn't wait for him to become famous before they supported him.

Your Nigerian senators and stupid president are famzing on his fame, while we have lots of boxers on our streets without the required support. Is it not a shame that we only get to hear about these guys when they find their footings in developed climes?

FORK YOU ALL!
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by Telvin7(m): 10:05am On Dec 10, 2019
JeffreyLiaison:
I luv dis guy. He's as strong as Samson.
are you nuts ?? How can you compare a aj to Samson , the strongest man on Earth...

Aj fit kill lion angry
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by ddippset(m): 10:05am On Dec 10, 2019
kushercain:

You wan kill Joshua?

April to December fight fight fight

Oya run back to Barca thread osiso
lol
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by nedu103: 10:10am On Dec 10, 2019
oga maintain ur champion were u dey oooo, naija no get ring ooo
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by oyetunder(m): 11:13am On Dec 10, 2019
JeffreyLiaison:
the Samson in your village or the one in the Bible?
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by omoyankee3(m): 11:22am On Dec 10, 2019
ddippset:
5 Fights I want to see in 2020.

1. Fury versus Wilder. (February)
2. Fury versus Joshua. (April)
3. Joshua versus Wilder. (June)
4. Fury versus Joshua Rematch. (September)
5. Joshua versus Wilder Rematch. (December)

And then we shall all live happily ever after!

Boxing is not like football. It takes several months for those guys to recover from a fight, and a few more months to prepare for their next fight. The max they can do is two fights a year...AJ will probably fight only once in 2020.
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by designking: 11:24am On Dec 10, 2019
oyaaa:
how is that an insult

I am not talking about AJ, I am only emphasising that Nigerians love this country more the political leaders.
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by wink2015(m): 11:25am On Dec 10, 2019
Onlytru:
Anthony Joshua ‘definitely’ wants to defend heavyweight titles in Nigeria after defeating Andy Ruiz

Anthony Joshua has confirmed he would “definitely love” to defend his heavyweight titles in Nigeria after defeating Andy Ruiz in their rematch.

The IBF, WBO and WBA champion recovered from a devastating upset in his first fight against the Mexican-American to reclaim the belts via a wide unanimous decision in Saudi Arabia.

Joshua, who is of Nigerian heritage, visited the country between the two fights and is keen to bring the first world heavyweight title fight to the continent since the ‘Rumble in the Jungle’ in 1974.

Promoter Eddie Hearn, has received numerous offers to stage Joshua’s next fight. However, with the Briton likely to be forced to face his mandatory challenger with the IBF, Kubrat Pulev, a London homecoming fight remains a more immediate probability.

“People had been telling me I should go back for ages. It was crazy because they don’t have 24-hour electricity but they still know me and support me,” Joshua said.

“I went to the ghettos of the ghettos where it’s not all about egos and beef, it’s about people who are hungry to survive.

“It was one of the best things I’ve done. Africa’s rooting for me for sure, so I would definitely love to fight out there.”

Joshua’s parents are both of Nigerian descent and he actually attempted to represent the country at the 2008 Olympics.

But in the meantime, he insisted he’s not taking his eyes off the present after the lessons learned in his first fight against Ruiz.

“Five months from now, the belts go in the air and I have to defend them again,” Joshua said.

“I am only the champion for months again, so I can’t get too caught up in the moment and have to stay focused on the task at hand, which is not staying undefeated any more, but staying champion for as long as possible.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/boxing/anthony-joshua-next-fight-opponent-date-venue-andy-ruiz-a9239101.html?amp

The fight could come up in Lagos Nigeria.

It is a welcome news.

But a lot needs to be done about the Nigeria factors that might crup up.
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by mechanics(m): 11:35am On Dec 10, 2019
nedekid:

Abi. The roads are more important.
In this case though the reference I made was a temporal kit structure.
Besides in other climes states make billions from hosting such event. Infact they bid to host and pay for hosting rights.
Its only in naija we host events and make a huge loss.
hahahahah.
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by ddippset(m): 12:54pm On Dec 10, 2019
omoyankee3:

Boxing is not like football. It takes several months for those guys to recover from a fight, and a few more months to prepare for their next fight. The max they can do is two fights a year...AJ will probably fight only once in 2020.
All these sabi sabi people.

Can't you see just the fantasy and the humour in the post?
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by nonix22(m): 1:13pm On Dec 10, 2019
so u no see as light 24/7 for 90 days as BBNaija was running? why una dey always caste us for outside? other countries wey we better pass dey this forum o.
TooNoisy:
Joshua, Joshua, Joshua!!! How many times did I call you?

Las las you will both fight in the dark because NEPA will surely take light and the flood lights will go off at the stadium!!!
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by femeritus: 1:17pm On Dec 10, 2019
Have you forgotten so soon that he entered the ring with Fela and Femi's song? I didn't even expect him to do that considering how many Britons criticised him the last time he entered the ring with Wizkid's OJUELEGBA.

I think he's tried enough associating himself with Nigeria or do you want him to abandon or spite Britain that gave him the platform to become who he is today even when Nigeria didn't give him the opportunity in 2008?

Even before his last fight with Ruiz, many Nigerians here prayed he should lose. Please leave AJ alone.

Coldie:

When Andy Ruiz who is Mexican American entered d ring he played the anthems of his 2countries.

But this guy British Nigerian only played the anthem of Britain. Me as a Nigerian to me that is an insult to our country

Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by amaridigital(m): 3:16pm On Dec 10, 2019
DoTheNeedful:

You sound like a typical ipob yoot. You and your likes have been jumping from one thread to another telling us AJ is not Nigerian because he is not a Chibuzor. Yet, everyday you all celebrate one Ikechukwu or Nonso who won council election in Canada, UK and so on with the chants of Igbo Amaka. A lot of your tribesmen you all celebrate here have citizenship of other countries.

The link in the news is from "Independent", a British news outlet and it is well referenced that he is of Nigerian heritage and he even wanted to represented Nigeria in 2008 olympics. This same AJ whose Nigerian heritage you like to mock or undermined has a tatoo of Nigeria on his arm. Those of us who know him long before he became popular knows that he studied till JSS2 at Mayflower in Ikenne, Ogun State and he never shied away from associating with Nigeria. However, Britain gave him the platform he has today.

By the way, Nigeria is a dream-killer. If he didn't tow the path he towed, he might be nobody today.

Ignore the kids man. At least they have Samuel Peter who is a proud Nigerian and let them kiss his ass. Anthony FEMI Joshua is a Yoruba with British citizenship. Real Nigerians of diverse ethnicity are OK with that. Can you just imagine the shout of Afonja coward all over the net if the guy have lost the fight? Can't you see their evil consolation line " I would like to see him fight Wilder/Fury" despite the fight that both aren't mandatory contenders? Check their comments before the fight and see hatred as they wish him failure. Now that he won the story is about not wearing Nigerian flag to the ring. Pathetic! At least we all celebrate our Olympic medalist and Super Eagles whenever they did well. We all celebrate Nigerians who are elected to foreign country's parliament despite the fact that they hold other country's passports and never visited Nigeria as Joshua did. Nobody ever care if they are musa or Osakwe. Anthony represented Britain and even won an Olympic medal for His adopted country. He should renounce his British citizenship and form a good management team under Oshodi or Aba Bridge and use wheel barrow pushers as trainers. Then the next time he fights and loose, you will hear them again" Stupid Afonja with Ewedu Skull. He's a unity beggar. Why did he ever come to this shithole"
I repeat pathetic.

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by Legendguru: 4:23pm On Dec 10, 2019
His business
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by eddykaka(m): 4:41pm On Dec 10, 2019
JeffreyLiaison:
did u meet Samson? If yes, was he a boxer? ��
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by toyinjimoh(m): 4:52pm On Dec 10, 2019
jahsharon:

Lazy youth, go and read the comments of patriotic Nigerians that have encouraged him to come home
shut ur dirty mouth and face reality
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by JeffreyLiaison(m): 9:43pm On Dec 10, 2019
eddykaka:
did u meet Samson? If yes, was he a boxer? ��
Did I say that he is Samson? I said he's as strong as Samson.
Have sense!
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by JeffreyLiaison(m): 9:45pm On Dec 10, 2019
oyetunder:
the Samson in your village or the one in the Bible?
The Samson in your village cannot open ordinary pure water nylon
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by omoyankee3(m): 12:52am On Dec 11, 2019
ddippset:
All these sabi sabi people.

Can't you see just the fantasy and the humour in the post?

But most of us dont live in fantasy land... we live in the real world.
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by kingzjay(m): 10:58pm On Dec 11, 2019
victorazyvictor:

RIP English grin

That stadia grin

Why not correct me if I wrote a bad English! You just came here to disgrace yourself instead of checking the dictionary for the meaning of STADIA
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by kingzjay(m): 11:00pm On Dec 11, 2019
ozoebuka1:
lmao,this one dey form English grin

Stadia indeed grin

He will now quote me to give me one thousand and one reasons why he is right undecided undecided

I made no mistake in what I wrote. I may not be knowledgeable or educated as you are but I think correction is better than trying to make a mockery where none actually exist
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by ozoebuka1(m): 11:10pm On Dec 11, 2019
kingzjay:

I made no mistake in what I wrote. I may not be knowledgeable or educated as you are but I think correction is better than trying to make a mockery where none actually exist
Sorry sir, don't take it too seriously, it was all for fun... Sorry if you found that offensive. I apologize.
Re: Anthony Joshua Wants To Defend Heavyweight Titles In Nigeria by victorazyvictor(m): 12:00pm On Dec 13, 2019
kingzjay:

Why not correct me if I wrote a bad English! You just came here to disgrace yourself instead of checking the dictionary for the meaning of STADIA

You use stadia when referring to more than one stadium.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Matiyasi FC, South African Club Banned For Life After Beating Opponent 59-1 / Javier Zanetti: Taribo West's Prayer Sessions Frustrated Us / Lionel Messi Touching His Wife's Backside At Nightclub

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.