Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,034 members, 7,807,089 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) - Business (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) (39391 Views)

3 Reasons You Need To Start A Cashew Business(with pictures) / 4 Challenges Of Setting Up A Side Income And Working Full-time / What's The Cost Of Setting Up A Petrol Filling Station In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:41am On Feb 22, 2022
The Major secret you will read today about cassava cultivation in Nigeria

I am about to share with you one of the biggest secrets about cassava cultivation this year.

We started cultivating on about 20Ha and year in year out,I noticed that our revenue were different with slight difference in our yield.

We keep having different revenues from the same farm size due to changes in the market price every season

This was exactly our situation for many years before I was able to decode the cyclical nature of cassava and it's value chain.

This season,you have a good outing,the next one,the outing is average,the next next it is poor and you have a good one again; so this is how cynical the cassava value chain does.

The major reason for this is because when there is low supply of cassava tubers,the demand increase and thereby shooting up the price

When farmers sees that this year,cassava price is better,they plant massively the next season, making supply to outgrow demand and thereby the price drop.

This cycles of higher and better price has been in every 3-4years

2010 has a good cassava market price

Late 2010,2011,2012 cassava price was at the lowest

It picked up in early 2013 again.

In 2013-2014,price was better

Many farmers because of better price that year cultivated massively cassava so from late 2014,2015, 2016,the price drop drastically

Those that cultivated around those years experienced poor revenue

Because of the poor price,farmers stepped back and didn't cultivate cassava again so the price picked up around 2017- early 2018,

Early last year (2021) the price was at the peak before it keep coming down.

In the next 3 years,cassava price will drastically drop down because of more farmers planting cassava that will supercede the demand

So my advice for anyone who has plan to cultivate cassava this year and sell the raw tubers should not

You can only cultivate if you have a processing plant and you have the capacity to turn the roots into garri,flour,ethanol,starch etc

If you want to sell the raw tubers,then don't do it.

As far as WaleAgro and our partners are concerned,cassava cultivation is out of the radar this year.

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:52am On Feb 23, 2022
Letter to agric investors 2022

Dear prospective agric investor,

I wrote a letter in 2021 and I am writing another one in 2022 as a reminder to those who want to venture into agriculture.

I know you want to make money from agriculture and you want to make it bigThat's a good aspiration which require consistent efforts,time,learning/relearning for you to achieve that.

I also know that you might have been seeing or hearing "invest 50k,100k etc and earn 50%,70% in 6months"

What would you cultivate that you earn 50% in 6 months;which is about 100% in a year except if you are cultivating weeds.

Do not fall for it or create that mindset of agriculture being a 'getting quick,big roi or getting quick rich scheme' and go to invest blindly....I can assure you that disappointment and probably total loss will be the experience.

As an experienced farmer, and agro-investor ,agriculture provides a stream of income that may never dry for a lifetime if done properly and not quick riches.Taking the right decision,patience, and consistency is the code of the game.

Over the past few years,I have seen people leave their paying job and want to cash out of the quick riches agriculture present

Do not leave your job!

Your job should be a means to create that streams of income.

You cannot create and enjoy the streams of income in agriculture without money to invest.

As a graduate looking to start agribusiness,go and look for a job and gradually invest the little resources you are getting into agriculture or you go and start agricultural trading

Note that you can't create streams of income from agrotrading but it can give you income to leverage on to start your farm business properly.

Today alone,I have received more than 5 calls of people seeking advice/remedy that made the wrong investment because they are looking for 70% ROI in 6 months

It's better to be informed now and take necessary precaution than to make wrong investment and be seeking for remedy

This is my message for those that want to invest in agriculture come 2022

Have a blessed day

#waleagro#agriculture#agribusiness#ijebu#farm#farmestate#nigeria#lagos#ilorin#kwara#oyo#lagos#farming#farmbusiness#farmer

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by wewood8888: 11:49pm On Feb 25, 2022
ACSMIN NIG LTD

cassava starch for sales in large quantity

cassava tubers needed in large quantity,

Benue state
whatsapp 07017888888

quote author=Lesgupnigeria post=110435442]The Major secret you will read today about cassava cultivation in Nigeria

I am about to share with you one of the biggest secrets about cassava cultivation this year.

We started cultivating on about 20Ha and year in year out,I noticed that our revenue were different with slight difference in our yield.

We keep having different revenues from the same farm size due to changes in the market price every season

This was exactly our situation for many years before I was able to decode the cyclical nature of cassava and it's value chain.

This season,you have a good outing,the next one,the outing is average,the next next it is poor and you have a good one again; so this is how cynical the cassava value chain does.

The major reason for this is because when there is low supply of cassava tubers,the demand increase and thereby shooting up the price

When farmers sees that this year,cassava price is better,they plant massively the next season, making supply to outgrow demand and thereby the price drop.

This cycles of higher and better price has been in every 3-4years

2010 has a good cassava market price

Late 2010,2011,2012 cassava price was at the lowest

It picked up in early 2013 again.

In 2013-2014,price was better

Many farmers because of better price that year cultivated massively cassava so from late 2014,2015, 2016,the price drop drastically

Those that cultivated around those years experienced poor revenue

Because of the poor price,farmers stepped back and didn't cultivate cassava again so the price picked up around 2017- early 2018,

Early last year (2021) the price was at the peak before it keep coming down.

In the next 3 years,cassava price will drastically drop down because of more farmers planting cassava that will supercede the demand

So my advice for anyone who has plan to cultivate cassava this year and sell the raw tubers should not

You can only cultivate if you have a processing plant and you have the capacity to turn the roots into garri,flour,ethanol,starch etc

If you want to sell the raw tubers,then don't do it.

As far as WaleAgro and our partners are concerned,cassava cultivation is out of the radar this year.[/quote]
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by wewood8888: 11:50pm On Feb 25, 2022
ACSMIN NIG LTD

cassava starch for sales in large quantity

cassava tubers needed in large quantity,

Benue state
whatsapp 07017888888
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 1:37pm On Mar 02, 2022
One major lesson i learnt acquiring farmland for agriculture

Farmland is an asset and will outlive you.
Either you acquire from individual,firms,families,communities etc, there is need to do proper documentation with the human/s or firm you are buying from.

After years of land banking thousand of acres of land from different states in Nigeria,few lessons i learnt which I am going to hare at the later part of this post.

Your children's children might be a beneficiary of your landed asset after you have benefited from it and first let me share the documents you must procured to authenticate your ownership status

1.Deed of Assignment/transfer document detailing the number of plots/acres bought,the individual/firm you are buying from, the cost of the land etc

2. Registered survey documents (Redcopy)

Legally,it's very difficult to contest the ownership of your land if you don't have a registered survey document of the land.
And that's why I advice people to register their land with the ministry of land of the states you are acquiring your land after obtaining the deed of assignment.

Cost of Redcopy differs from states to states
The south western states seems to have higher cost compare to the Northern ones except Abuja and very few others but you can check with your surveyor or from ministry of land of the state you are acquiring the land.

3. CofO

After getting your registered survey document,you can now start the process of obtaining your certificate of occupancy
According to the land use act of 1978,you have 99 years tenure on the land.
You can as well use land with CofO as collateral for loans

Few lessons have been learnt over the years of acquiring farmland which has guided our process of acquisition

1.No document,no land
It's not the person that first start working on the land that has the land,it's the person with document.

2. Farmland is not an end itself,it's a means to an end which means after acquiring your lands,you need to put it into productive use
That's why we will be cultivating most of our lands this year for them to start generating revenue for us.

Want to also acquire large acres of farmland for cultivation,and need consultation on how to go about it, kindly get in touch.

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:38am On Mar 05, 2022
My first bitter lesson as a farmer and agro-investor in Nigeria

One of the things that makes farm business fail is biting more than you can chew especially when you have great interest in venturing into agriculture

Many want to cultivate 200 acres of land but don't have the financial,human resources to cultivate 50 acres.

Cultivate the number of acres you have the resources to do.

In short start with what you can finish.

If you start and you are stuck in the middle of cultivation due to financial incapabilities,you would have wasted the initial money invested and at the end of the day would not be able to get the returns.

You can acquire 200 acres and start cultivating in 50's or 40's every year according to your financial capacity and structure you have on the farm

There are many abandoned farm,don't join the numbers.

Have a blessed weekend
#waleagro#agriculture#agribusiness#farm#lagos#nigeria#farmer#farming#ogbomoso#oyo#kwara#ilorin#apomu#osun#farmland

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:07am On Mar 14, 2022
The only one thing stopping you from where you are now to where you want to be is your inability to TAKE MASSIVE ACTION

You want to have additional source of income through agriculture, Take action!

You want to be self employed by starting your own farm, Take Action!

You want to generate a 7 figure income by scaling up production,Take Action!

Don't let challenges be it financial,economic, stop you from talking action

Start from where you are and continue to take actions everyday.

The year is running out fast

If you want to go to another level start with taking action.

Only taking massive action everyday can take you to your next level of growth.

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:31am On Mar 16, 2022
Agriculture is a goldmine and at the same it is filled with risk-mines that can blow your operation up and mess you up.

As we begin this farming season and prepare for land cultivation,there is need for adequate risk management.

Many years ago,I was busy pressing my calculator calculating millions WaleAgro and our partners would make from our almost-harvest-ready plantain plantation when I received a call from one of our farm workers

"Hello sir"
"Our farm is on fire"
What!!!
The farm is on fire?
Who put fire?
How did it happen?
Which area of the farm?
Many questions were running on my mind simultaneously and I was so confused.
The fire was so much that it took volunteers from the local communities that share boundaries with our farm to put out the fire.
Trucks,cars were used to ferry water to quench the fire
At the end of the day,about 70 acres were destroyed by fire

Unfortunately,we didnot insure the farm and have to pay for that mistake.

That taught me a lesson
"Always insure your farm whether it's a prevalence occurrence there or not,always prepare for unforseenable, unexpected and uncontrollable outcome"

That's the only way to manage risks
It saves you time and resources and also you are able to bounce back quickly if anything goes wrong.

And it's just between 2.5%-5% of the cost of cultivation or cost of livestock you are insuring and % insurance charges also varies from one insurance company to another

You want to sleep and sleep well in the night,not thinking of anything going wrong with your crop/livestock.

You also don't want to have high BP when you are told that your farm is on fire because you know that your farm is insured and be compensated to start all over again.

Insuring your farm is a major risk management tool to manage eventualities like flooding,climate change,fire,act of God etc that might come up during your way of making money in farm business.

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:51am On Mar 21, 2022
Two things I learnt from over a decade of engaging in farm business and what you can learn too

Farm business though promising can be one of the hardest venture you engage in.

You have multiple of risks ,the one in your control and the one out of your control to tackle;

Climate change,acts of God (flood,fire, storm etc),market instability, yield ,disease outbreaks etc

If you fail,learn from it but don't throw in the towel

Every failure is a stepping stone to a higher breakthrough

Don't see failure as the final verdict on any activities you are engaged in.

When you fall,dust yourself up,adjust, learn from the situation and start all over again

Though,I must admit that it is not easy to start again but you must do it nevertheless

Every successful agropreneurs I know today have had the urge to give in but the vision of the end goal seems to be stronger than the immediate urge.

I have had my own share as well.

In 2011,I wanted to give up, a good friend encourage me to keep at it.

Also in 2016 as well,the urge came when I thought we were not pushing as much as we should,a mentor encourage me and like they say,the rest is history

two things I have learnt 

First,surround yourself with positive people

Second,when you have that urge to give up,don't do it because you are about to turn the corner to your breakthrough.

Anytime the urge come is a signal that something huge is about to happen positively

Now with tens of thousands of acres on our farm estates across different states,I am happy I didn't give up.

Although we still have a long way to go

Giving up wouldn't have got us to where we are now.

There is always light at the end of the tunnel

So NEVER GIVE UP!
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:06am On Mar 22, 2022
Due to prevailing economic situation in the world right now, logistics challenges,increase in prices of input prices,increase in transportation costs are some of the things that will have direct impact on farmers and agro-preneurs

Prices of ploughing with a tractor is already on the high side; from N8,000 to between N12,000-N15,000 depending on location due to increase in price of diesel

Even before Russia-ukraine war started,we have seen increase of inputs such as fertilizers,herbicides etc go up.
As the two heavyweight in potash production (the raw materials for fertilizer production) continue their war,we will see low supply of fertiliser which will ultimately affect yield (low production)

A bag of fertilizer around August 2021 was around N10,500 - N11,500
Early this year,it skyrocketed to N15,000 and I am predicting,we might have upward movement in price.

So as a farmer who heavily depend on some of this inputs,how do you save money without compromising on yield?

The basic answer is finding alternative that can be locally sourced and used here.

On cultivation with machineries,kò sí à bù jà lóró òpe (there is no shortcut in climbing palm tree); you have no choice on this one,but you can add the cost on the cost of your produce when selling.

Instead of using fertiliser,you can substitute with innoculant or organic manure.
Mixing with the soil during ploughing or harrowing is the best way to it

Pesticides can also be substituted with neem.
Fortunately,we have plenty of those neem around us here and are very less expensive with access to the raw materials.

You can also buy these inputs in bulk now and store before price doubles again during the planting season.

Generally this year,prices of food is expected to go up
If you can successfully substitute some of these critical inputs without compromising on the yield,then you should have a good outing.
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:42am On Mar 24, 2022
#agricpaysDoit
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:44am On Mar 25, 2022
We are leaving no stone unturned this season,we are starting early
Even though the price of diesel has skyrocket from N350 to N750 going towards N800 per litre,we have no choice but to continue with our production with expectation of jacking up the price when they are harvested.
Soybeans,groundnuts,beans,cashew are some of the farm produce to be cultivated.

Last year soybeans tend to be reaching N40k per bag,I hope this year soybeans will not reach N60k as inputs price tends to go upward.

Also,you can check my last posts on how to reduce cost of production without compromising on the yield and maximizing profit.

If you need well secured farmland to start your farm business or you want to learn the rudiments of successful farm business,we are your best bet
#waleagro#agriculture#agribusiness
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:19am On Mar 26, 2022
#agriculturepays
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by beejay1(m): 6:51pm On Apr 03, 2022
So #Waleagro, my question to you is how have you treated your investors. Have you dealt fairly with them? I will not chase you for my money, infact, if you do not pay me back, I will not shake. However, where-ever I see your post on social media, i will always remind your existing and potential investors to be careful in dealing with you.

Lesgupnigeria:
Two things I learnt from over a decade of engaging in farm business and what you can learn too

Farm business though promising can be one of the hardest venture you engage in.

You have multiple of risks ,the one in your control and the one out of your control to tackle;

Climate change,acts of God (flood,fire, storm etc),market instability, yield ,disease outbreaks etc

If you fail,learn from it but don't throw in the towel

Every failure is a stepping stone to a higher breakthrough

Don't see failure as the final verdict on any activities you are engaged in.

When you fall,dust yourself up,adjust, learn from the situation and start all over again

Though,I must admit that it is not easy to start again but you must do it nevertheless

Every successful agropreneurs I know today have had the urge to give in but the vision of the end goal seems to be stronger than the immediate urge.

I have had my own share as well.

In 2011,I wanted to give up, a good friend encourage me to keep at it.

Also in 2016 as well,the urge came when I thought we were not pushing as much as we should,a mentor encourage me and like they say,the rest is history

two things I have learnt 

First,surround yourself with positive people

Second,when you have that urge to give up,don't do it because you are about to turn the corner to your breakthrough.

Anytime the urge come is a signal that something huge is about to happen positively

Now with tens of thousands of acres on our farm estates across different states,I am happy I didn't give up.

Although we still have a long way to go

Giving up wouldn't have got us to where we are now.

There is always light at the end of the tunnel

So NEVER GIVE UP!

1 Like

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:23am On Apr 04, 2022
If you are talking about Mr Gbenga,you have his number right and talk things directly with him or you report to appropriate quarters.

We do not seek farm investment or investors from the public
Nevertheless,we offer services such as training,farm set up and farm mgt on our farm estates and outside,sales,etc

Moreover,you can send your name and number to the number or WhatsApp +2349031147593
Thank you.
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:24am On Apr 04, 2022
Dear farmers,
This is another monday in the 2nd quarters of 2022,it's another opportunity to push toward our goal of food-securing our nation.
The sustainability of over 200 million people lies in our hands.
Continue to improve on your operational processes to be able to scale and produce more.
Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown.
The whole nation looks up to you
The food crisis is upon us
It's time to till and work
Don't forget to manage the risk associated with your work and at the end of your activities when your efforts start yielding fruits,don't hesitate to take time out to rest and refresh.
This is my today motivation talk
Thank you
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:43am On Apr 05, 2022
Someone posted in the comment section about recent writeups encouraging food hoarding and I think I need to address that this morning

There is a great difference between hoarding food primarily to cause artificial food scarcity to make huge profit and providing storage facilities to extend the lifespan or to add value to it for better revenue.
Imagine having spent lot of money on cultivation of maybe tomatoes ,or any other perishable produce and lost it all to lack of storage or processing facilities or was taken advantage of by the value chain vultures (a.k.a the middlemen/women); paying far lesser amount than the market price.
Would it not be wise to provide these facilities in order protect yourself against those forces?

Afterall, regulatory marketing board that should fix a fair price for farmers' produce has been scrapped so it is now how you can add more value to your produce to get the best price

Don't let anyone guilt trip you

It is about getting the best reward for your efforts by reducing wastage on the farm and this can be done by providing facilities

Imagine a world where we have access to all of our food in fresh state all year round,this cannot be achieve if you don't have the enabling facilities.

Adding value to get the best price from your produce is the best way to go in the economic system we find ourselves

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by beejay1(m): 4:14pm On Apr 05, 2022
No thank you. I wont waste my time chasing him as I have done before - ignored emails/calls/text in the name of been busy. Mine is to warn your potential/existing clients ahead of time. Ensure you get a lawyer and detail all terms in black and white before committing any funds.

Lesgupnigeria:

If you are talking about Mr Gbenga,you have his number right and talk things directly with him or you report to appropriate quarters.

We do not seek farm investment or investors from the public
Nevertheless,we offer services such as training,farm set up and farm mgt on our farm estates and outside,sales,etc

Moreover,you can send your name and number to the number or WhatsApp +2349031147593
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:19am On Apr 06, 2022
How to avoid losing million of naira from farm theft

Your farm business will not work if you didnot have a secured environment to conduct your farm enterprise

Theft of farm produce,farm properties,machineries,issues with straying cattle rearers (Fulani herdsmen), are some of critical issues that can make or mar the success of your farm enterprise.

If you operate a small scale farm maybe between 1 -50 acres,then you should looking at fencing the land perimeter.

This will solve most of the security issues above

If you operate a medium scale farm,from between 50 and maybe 200,then maybe few security guards will solve some off the security challenges associated with farm business.

If you operate on a larger scale of 200 and above like we do then you should look into incorporating few things into your farm

First,Take care of the community/ies you conduct your venture

Provide social amenities like electricity,road access,water,schools etc if they are lacking.

You can save small percentage of your annual farm income to do this.

This is very important I cannot overemphasize it

Secondly,introduce whistleblowing policy

It's difficult to adequately secure cultivated farm size of 500 acres or more from theft.

In the community,everybody knows everybody.

Where you farm,what you cultivate,when you farm etc

You only have a yam farm and you are bringing in plantain to your house,then it means you are stealing

Whistleblowing policy allows members of the community to identify,and report cases of theft to you on the basis that their identity will be protected and they will be rewarded for that.

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:40am On Apr 07, 2022
[/b]#doagricitpays[b]
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:51am On Apr 09, 2022
How to earn income consistently for 40 years from this farm business

Like I stated early this year, Two things are very important to WaleAgro this year
First,Generating more income for our partners by increasing number of acres cultivated and bringing efficiency to our operational process
Second,training and mentorship for newbie farmers, agro-investors who want to venture into agriculture.
The more you learn ,the more your potential to earn
And that's why this free ebook was written for you to learn how and where you should get started from
This is one of the ebook you should read before you get started in farm business

Register through this link below
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1WEgAPuswyrkJ_EU9AVOdMfaFpYDskJ7Y9eiLy58UGxE/edit#response=ACYDBNgRc92U_ob7bQphUnXZdo1v8ytXH9IsTNGvSzmW7364ezqvHm1RgrmuK5qAniYd18U

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:23am On Apr 10, 2022
#happy Sunday my people
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:00am On Apr 12, 2022
How to choose a perfect crop/s or livestock/s to cultivate

Many years ago when we first started farm business,I thought we could make money from any crops or livestock farming but I was very wrong.

Looking back now,I wish I know better what I know now.
And over the years,I have seen many new agro-investors and farmers make that same mistake and it's costing them much.

I was asked recently
"You are a farmer,you should get involved cultivating plantain,rice,corn,wheat, cassava,beans,poultry,piggery,cattle,sheep" etc
And that is the first mistake new entrant into agriculture make
You want to venture into everything

The secret to a successful farm enterprise is to be selective

I will explain how to choose rightly what to cultivate later in this post

That you have the knowledge or a fertile land in a place to support what you are about to cultivate doesnot mean that the enterprise will have great success.

One thing practical farmers can testify to is your paper calculation not matching your reality outcome

You might thought,

"If I plant 1000 plantain suckers on an acre,and at the end of the day,I sold a bunch at N1000,that's N1M"

With 100 acres of plantain,I have the potential of N100M as income

Yes,that maybe possible if all forseenable and unforseenable factors works together for your good but have you find out whether the land is okay to support commercial cultivation of plantain or you have acquire the requisite knowledge about it's cultivation or more importantly,there are no issue of monkeys,disease outbreaks or high rate of theft in the community/ies you are cultivating your farm.
Any of this issue that happen can bring the potential of your farm to zero naira.

Before you make decision on what to cultivate,you need to check all of the boxes
Fertile land ✔️
Knowledge ✔️
Disease outbreak prevention ✔️
Theft prevention ✔️ etc

I remember cultivating watermelon many years ago in a community around ogun state
The watermelon farm was as successful one until when it matured and it was used to serve breakfast; many members of the community passing by stopby to have a taste of the watermelon and some also very wasted because of late harvesting.

So,the type of crop/livestock you choose to cultivate should be one thats immune against theft in the location,even if you don't have enough time to attend to it,it will still do very well.

You do office work from Monday to Saturday,what are you doing with piggery,or fishery that requires your every hour presence
Why can't you look into the sheep,goat or cattle that might not need your everyday attention and still do very well with one or two hands.

That's why on any of our farm estates,we investigate and tick all of the boxes to determine what crops/livestocks we or new entrants who acquire piece of land on the estate engage in.

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:24am On Apr 14, 2022
About 8 years ago,I wrote an article about how agriculture will revolutionalised the Nigeria economy and the various mind blowing opportunities Nigerians are not taking up.
He saw the post and immediately got in touch
"Boss
"Thanks for your post"
"I want to venture into agribusiness but don't have much"
"But i want to be bringing clients to you for commision"

That same year,he earned 6 figures in referrals which he use to buy an acre on one of our farm estates for cultivation

Recently,I was invited to see his new farm and was astonished about the hundreds of acres under massive cultivation
If you are waiting for resources to come you before you take advantage of the numerous money making opportunities,then you will have to wait forever

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:36am On Apr 25, 2022
Never give up on your dream
It is valid
Good morning
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:58pm On Apr 27, 2022
Food insecurity though a challenge to nations of the world,it is a great opportunity for those who are want to get wealthy changing the world.
What are you doing now to do to solve this?
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:26am On May 02, 2022
The business of agriculture seems to be easy but it is not....thinking of giving up,don't yet,hold on a bit you are about to turn a corner.
Unlearn old methods,skills and techniques
,relearn new ways of doing things and apply it to your agricbusiness
Every Successful agribusiness also felt like given up one time or the other by they keep pushing.
There is light after the tunnel
Good morning
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:01am On May 05, 2022
Get practical.knowledge if you want to succeed in the business of agriculture
Join the link though the first thread to register for our agricbusiness class
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:04am On May 11, 2022
Cashew is one of the untapped gold
Do it...it pays
#building wealth in agriculture

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:33pm On May 15, 2022
I Hope we are all doing good here
Good evening my people.
DoagricItpays
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:18am On May 16, 2022
In the early days of starting out as a farmer, I bought a farmland size of about 250acres with the plan of cultivating about 50 acres for plantain and the remaining for livestock farming.

Unfortunately,it did not go as planned due to factors beyond my control; have to abandoned the land and find another location to

Two years after I purchased it,I discovered many local farmers around start approaching me for land to cultivate.

I thought "instead of allowing the land lie fallow,why can't I lease it out and start generating some money"

That was how I started leasing land for 7k per acre per annum turning some few 7 figures annually

Over the years,I have seen many abandoned farmland wasting away in the rural area, who has owners and should be generating revenue.

This is for our brothers and sisters in the diaspora who buy large acreage and leave it for years.

Even if you don't have the time,or the needed resources for cultivation yet,you can acquire farmland and lease it either to the local farmers or to someone else.

According to estimate,we have about 2 million local farmers looking for land to cultivate their usual 2-3 or 5 acres farm size every season
#agriculture

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:32am On May 17, 2022
Many people don't know that we are big on animal rearing but can't do much if you don't have large expanse of farmland.
Although our livestock farming is focused on cattle, sheep and goats.
I have been asked many times
" Why are you focus on only cattle,sheep and goats and not poultry,fishery,piggery etc"

Personally,I believe they are high risk and don't have appetite for high risk venture
I have seen about 5,000 birds wiped out within days; I have also seen hundreds of pigs drop dead because of swine fever etc
These are stories for another day.
Let's focus on today's story from practical experience

If you don't have large expanse of land,don't go into sheep,goat or cattle rearing
When we first started 7 years ago,we were trying to do intensive system of rearing,
In the first month ,about 60% of the 100 goats died because we tie them to a spot.
Soon before we realised that they need a free, large space with different varieties of grasses to pick their food from to do well,about 60% is already dead.

Soon after we discovered,ranch with different species of grasses/legumes were planted and feeding on it.
Mortality is now near zero.
Also,let 70% of your animal be grasses
Our ranches which covers tens of hundreds of acres are in ogbomoso and you can buy outrightly land on the ranch for your Livestock or you can bring your livestock on our ranch for rearing
Whatever acres you are buying,make sure it is spacious enough with varieties of grasses/legumes to feed on

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (26) (Reply)

First Bank Appoints 5 New Directors As Otedola Takes Over / Abdurazak Isa Building Modular Refinery In Imo, Anambra. Invests N7bn / Photo: Who Can Tell The Source Of This Money?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.