Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,336 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:27 AM

White Man In Town (chapter Thirty Six) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / White Man In Town (chapter Thirty Six) (309 Views)

Synw Futo Recruitments Thirty Six (36) New Writers On Campus / White Man In Town (chapter Thirty Three ) / The Suave Man In Lagos Drives A Range Rover But Is Penniless- Chimamanda Adichie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

White Man In Town (chapter Thirty Six) by DODO005: 2:07pm On Dec 10, 2019
CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Agent Diza sat thoughtfully and stared disinterestedly at the prying eyes of some randy men inside the restaurant. Her mind was preoccupied with her live meeting with the strange Franca in the next few minutes. She had earlier gone through her dossier from the commission archives and noted her notorious conning lifestyle. She wondered why a beautiful woman like Lizzy a.k.a Franca should be living such a reckless spend-drift life. She was surprised to read that the notorious female member of the Free-Hands had actually gone to a university and had a degree in sociology. She reflected on her own life, was proud of herself for summoning all odds to go to school, and came out with a first class in Computer Science. A grade that had rattled many people in the school and had drawn the sharp eyes of an official of the EFCC who had quickly made arrangement for her to join the anti-fraud agency first as a corp. member and a subsequent full-time appointment immediately she completed her one year mandatory National Youth Service Corps (NYSC). Her smartness and proficiency with the computer had propelled her fast rise at the commission and she had proved over the few years that she was indeed one of the sharpest brains in the EFCC, a treasure that was well nourished and guarded. Therefore, it was no surprise to many of her colleagues when she was drafted into the Operation Water team and assigned the task to unmask the most notorious cyber-crime syndicate in the country through their working field- the internet.

She was still reminiscing over her life and that of Franca when her phone suddenly rang. She stared at the number and nodded silently at Mai-Coins who was busy reading a SEE magazine. He paused to listen as she spoke on the phone.

‘’ Yes, we are here. Okay, just give me few minutes and I will be with you. Oh, it was a sweet trip’’ She said to the caller, giggled and smiled up at Mai-Coins as the call ended. ‘’ She is here and waiting for us.’’ She announced softly.

‘’ Could she be with Smoke?’’ Mai-Coins asked hopefully.

‘’ I doubt, but we have to be alert.’’ She said as she picked up her phone and bag from the table.

‘’ Okay, you think it’s time to go?’’ Mai-Coins asked, gave a nodded sign to Etim who was secretly staring at their table from the newspaper in his hand.

‘’Yes, I asked for a grace of few minutes. So let us do it.’’ Diza replied, pushed back her chair as Mai-Coins also pushed back his, and then trailed behind her as she made her bold move out of the restaurant.

Etim gave them some few seconds and went out after them; this after ensuring that nobody had interest in their movements. He caught up with them as they boarded one of the cable cars to the ranch house and then boarded the next car with other passengers.

Chambers sat thoughtfully in a tensed mood from his back seat inside the black Jeep as Colour cruise the wheels along the popular Waff Road; this part of the city always excites Colour whenever he found himself in Kaduna. The famous Hamdala Hotel though now in its old age stood boldly as usual with its blue and white faded painting beckoning to curious tourists and other new visitors into the city of the Mafia. The day so far has been exciting and adventurous to Chambers who was silently strategizing on the next lie to tell his hosts. The trip from Abuja had provided him an opportunity to think and create some false imagination for them. He knew deep inside him that it will be difficult, if not impossible for him to locate Smoke in the state, but all the same anything could happen. After all, we all live a life of uncertainty and surprises. He reasoned as he sipped from his bottled water and long to soften his dry throat with some chilled beer.
He had earlier noticed that the two suddenly seemed to be in a haste to contact Smoke and end the business. In fact, they had refused him the opportunity for one or two bottles of beer at the Woodcraft Hotel when he came down from his room that afternoon. Instead, Colour had led him to the car park where KS was already waiting inside the jeep.

‘’ We no get much time for hand. Dem just call my friend from America say one big business dey wait for am.’’ Colour had explained as they drove out of the hotel.

Chambers though disappointed, nodded at him with a grin and substituted his taste with water.

‘’ So you say make we check NAF Club first?’’ Colour asked half glancing at him from the rear mirror.

‘’ Yes, make we check there first. I wan make one connection. I know Smoke, e no go just lodge for any hotel.’’ Chamber told him seriously.

Colour explained things to KS who nodded with a grin. His mind was preoccupied with his problems and the latest deadline on his neck. Eight minutes later, they drove into the well guarded Nigeria Air Force Club (NAF) along Rabah road. The place at that hour was less active and the few guests around engaged themselves in various drinking and eating. Chambers who could not control his dry throat any longer happily led them to an empty table with three chairs and dropped his thin frame. He was glad when a chubby female waitress with a round face and fleshy legs walked up to their table and took their orders.

‘’ Very chilled Gulder for me my sister.’’ He told her beaming with smile.

Colour and Ken Solomon placed their orders, watched surprisingly as two of the male waiters around walked up to their table, and hailed Chambers loudly.

‘’ Original Chambers! The shorter among them shouted and pumped his hand.

‘’Chamberstical’’ The other one also announced loudly with excitement

Chambers who was taken by surprised stared back at both of them, stood up to embraced, and shook their hands.

The waitress brought their drinks, set them on the table and paused to stare at the drama.

‘’ Ha! Charlie and John, O boy na waho!. Long time no see.’’ Chambers announced, filled his glass with chilled beer, sipped, smacked his cheeks and returned to his two new friends. ‘’ Mr. Colour, this na my two best friends. He don tey wey we see.’’ He explained and then drew them aside.

Colour and KS watched amusingly as they made their way towards the inner bar.

‘’ Your guy seems popular across the country.’’ KS said with a smile.

‘’ Yes, he is. Especially in bars and hotels’’ Colour replied, smiled back at him and then sipped his drink.

‘’ So what do you think about his moves so far?’’

‘’ I am still studying him. But if anyone can lead us to Smoke and his gang, then that person is Chambers that is what I have observed.’’ Colour said slowly as Chambers made his way alone back to their table.

‘’ Hello Oyinbo, hope you dey enjoy Kaduna?’’ Chambers asked as he refilled his glass and satisfied his throat.

‘’ I don get correct information. E good make man get friends everywhere.’’ This he told Colours.

‘’ Na so, wetin dey happen? You don get the place where the guy dey stay? Colour asked excitedly.

‘’ No, but I don get information where them relocate to. We just missed Smoke and his boys not too long.’’ Chambers explained as he signaled the waitress for another bottle.

‘’I no understand. Relocate how?’’ Colour asked suspiciously.

‘’ Smoke and his boys just leave Kaduna for Lagos today. I tell you say the Bobo no dey like stay one place.’’ Chambers told him confidently as his second beer arrived.

Colour calmly explained the development to KS who listened leisurely to him and nodded his head, sipped his drink and stared thoughtfully into space.

‘’ It’s okay. I think we might as well take time to do this thing properly. Great haste makes great waste. More beer please…and some roasted chicken would do.’’ He finally suggested with a grin.

The suggestion of more beer and chicken delighted Chambers and he beamed with smile. ‘’ Don’t worry Oyinbo, we go soon link up with Smoke. I agree with you, small-small, je-je-je, na him butterfly dey take land.’’

He told them and smiled more broadly as the waitress brought more beer to the table, followed by three full roasted chickens with spicy pepe meat, blended with onions and tomatoes.

Colour was surprised with the calmness at which KS took the news, and quickly saw reason in his attitude. Getting angry might raise the unsuspecting Chambers to their true mission. He reasoned and smiled broadly.

‘’ Bros, Just relax and enjoy yourself. Take anything you want, me and my friend wan go shine our eyes somewhere.’’ He told Chambers.

‘’ I understand. Make una enjoy una self, that thing dey always deal with me any time wey I taste am.’’ Chambers replied with a grin.

‘’ Let’s take a drive for some good grass.’’ He told KS and pushed back his chair, picked up his drink and his wrapped chicken, as KS did the same.

‘’ Good idea, enjoy yourself, Mr. Chambers. We will soon be back.’’ KS told him with a wide smile.

‘’ No wahala Oyinbo, I go dey here dey wait for una.’’ Chambers replied happily and took a bite at the chicken.

Colour and KS left him and drove out of the club. He hit the long road leading to Malali village, drove pass Federal Government College and the New Nigerian quarters, and then made their way towards an untilled road that led to Malali River, amid some soft jazzy tune courtesy of KS who had slotted in the jazz collection on their way out of the hotel.

www.okadabooks.com
www.amazon.com grin

(1) (Reply)

Wanted: A Long Article Writer For Reviews / Start Getting Paid For Your Writing / Raising A Monster (part 11)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.