Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,645 members, 7,801,877 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? (1189 Views)

Nigerian Lady Shows Off Newborn Baby’s Tribal Marks / Baby Girl's Face Mutilated With Tribal Marks (Photo) / Nigerian Lady With Tribal Marks Almost Committed Suicide (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by ProfessorHank: 5:47pm On Dec 10, 2019
We went for a corporate training in Italy. During the 7days stay, I made friend with a Nigerian lady(not in the f**king sense).
She works in same company with me but she's in PortHarcourt branch while mine is Abuja branch. She looked like an igbo girl. Fair in complexion and really loves life.
So I publicly asked her if she's Igbo, she replied "God forbid".

I asked her why she said "God forbid" but she couldn't give an answer. I lied to her that I am Igbo even though I'm not(I'm Itsekiri), so as to see her reaction. To my chagrin she started resenting me, even after I told her I'm a modaforking Itsekiri!! My question comes....
WHY DO SOME NIGERIANS RESENT IGBOS?

I've had plenty Igbo friends and they look completely normal to me and are pretty hardworking as hell.

So why do some Nigerians hate them?
I'm asking because it doesn't make sense to me. And I'm sure there must be a reason I'm not seeing. Afterall I don't know it all.

Can someone throw light pls?
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by nlPoster: 5:51pm On Dec 10, 2019
Do you look Igbo? Or why would you assume she wouldn't know you're Itsekiri?

You also did not mention the lady's tribe.

What I've observed is some ethnic groups jell better with each other and some dont get along. Meaning some can work as a team and some prefer not to.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by donbachi(m): 5:53pm On Dec 10, 2019
Co-habiting instead of co-existing.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by Chrisbeks: 5:56pm On Dec 10, 2019
socialization
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by Henry22(m): 5:58pm On Dec 10, 2019
Proudly igbo grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by oyin44: 6:03pm On Dec 10, 2019
Do you really want to know why ?ok,just go to any of the states in south east and spend 5 to 8 months..

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by Henry22(m): 6:08pm On Dec 10, 2019
When I see threads like this I always know it's origin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by Forward77(m): 6:31pm On Dec 10, 2019
The answer is lord Lugard

The British used it as a weapon to destroy Nigeria, because of Independence.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by Parablesonmarble: 6:35pm On Dec 10, 2019
I don't think tribal/racial dislike stems from personal experiences. I think its more about mental conditioning. They keep streotyping a tribe since when we are young, saying negative things about them over and over for a long period of time, garnishing it with outdated tales and unverifiable histories, then you just realize you feel bad about people from the tribe, not because of any wrong doing but because you've been programmed to feel that way without really realizing it. Humans are humans. From all tribes, races and creeds, we have bad people and we have good people. That's what we've got to live with.

Lala....front page please. Since we can't deal with SA well enough on twitter, let the internal tribal war begin.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by ProfessorHank: 7:02pm On Dec 10, 2019
nlPoster:

What I've observed is some ethnic groups jell better with each other and some dont get along. Meaning some can work as a team and some prefer not to.

She's from Kogi state, Ibira precisely. Not sure if I got the spelling. Thats how she pronounced it.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by ProfessorHank: 7:05pm On Dec 10, 2019
nlPoster:

She's from Kogi state, Ibira precisely. Not sure if I got the spelling. Thats how she pronounced it.

Do I look Igbo?
I'm chocolate in complexion. Neither fair nor dark. Don't know if that looks more Itsekiri or more Igbo.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by ProfessorHank: 7:08pm On Dec 10, 2019
oyin44:
Do you really want to know why ?ok,just go to any of the states in south east and spend 5 to 8 months..
I've spent 10months in Owerri capital of Imo when we did a project. Sadly I dont recall finding out why?
Can u throw more light?
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by ProfessorHank: 7:10pm On Dec 10, 2019
Forward77:
The answer is lord Lugard

The British used it as a weapon to destroy Nigeria, because of Independence.

Brits used tribal hatred as a weapon to destroy Nigeria because of independence?
I don't get it. Can u make it a little more straight?
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by ProfessorHank: 7:13pm On Dec 10, 2019
Parablesonmarble:
I don't think tribal/racial dislike stems from personal experiences. I think its more about mental conditioning. They keep streotyping a tribe since when we are young, saying negative things about them over and over for a long period of time, garnishing it with outdated tales and unverifiable histories, then you just realize you feel bad about people from the tribe, not because of any wrong doing but because you've been programmed to feel that way without really realizing it. Humans are humans. From all tribes, races and creeds, we have bad people and we have good people. That's what we've got to live with.

Lala....front page please. Since we can't deal with SA well enough on twitter, let the internal tribal war begin.

That's some psychology.

So what's the origin of the conditioning?
Doesn't make sense yet.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by lyndaway(f): 7:38pm On Dec 10, 2019
I look more like an igbo lady if I tell you am from southern kaduna you won't believe most igbos I met ones they see me they start speaking igbo but I tell them am not igbo not with a fight I have igbo friend's has a matter of fact they are good to me maybe she has had an encounter with a bad one just maybe has they always say na one bad egg dey spoil the others

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by nlPoster: 9:17pm On Dec 10, 2019
ProfessorHank:

Do I look Igbo?
I'm chocolate in complexion. Neither fair nor dark. Don't know if that looks more Itsekiri or more Igbo.

Are you partly Igbo?

Like you mentioned, Nigerian tribes dislike each other much. I'm not sure why. Could be due to resources.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by Parablesonmarble: 10:11pm On Dec 10, 2019
ProfessorHank:

That's some psychology.

So what's the origin of the conditioning?
Doesn't make sense yet.

I'm not a psychologist, so I may not be able to do justice to this topic to your satisfaction but I think the origin lies in simple biology. When more than one species of living things are in direct competition for resources that are limited within a defined space, all sort of shenanigans come into play and only the fitted survive. Survival strategies differ from species to species, but since human is the only species with language and speeches, these tools are bound to be part of the survival repertoires. By theory of use and disuse, our forefathers have been using words to rouse sentiments from time immemorial towards personal gains, aims and objectives. Enough of my far-fetched, unproven jargons. I sha hope you get my drift.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by ProfessorHank: 2:04pm On Dec 11, 2019
Parablesonmarble:

I'm not a psychologist, so I may not be able to do justice to this topic to your satisfaction but I think the origin lies in simple biology. When more than one species of living things are in direct competition for resources that are limited within a defined space, all sort of shenanigans come into play and only the fitted survive. Survival strategies differ from species to species, but since human is the only species with language and speeches, these tools are bound to be part of the survival repertoires. By theory of use and disuse, our forefathers have been using words to rouse sentiments from time immemorial towards personal gains, aims and objectives. Enough of my far-fetched, unproven jargons. I sha hope you get my drift.

The "survival strategy" got me laughing. Lol!

That's some deep sh*t. A f*cking twisted cheap f*ck!

You seem on point though.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by ProfessorHank: 2:13pm On Dec 11, 2019
nlPoster:

Are you partly Igbo?

Like you mentioned, Nigerian tribes dislike each other much. I'm not sure why. Could be due to resources.
I'm not partly freaking Igbo anything.

Well, I be itsekiri man. Warri in Delta State. Some call it a Yoruboid since it sounds more like Yoruba.

Sad news is that I neither speak freaking Itsekiri nor modafüçking Yoruba.

I prefer to call myself a warri man shaa.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by Parablesonmarble: 3:36pm On Dec 11, 2019
ProfessorHank:

The "survival strategy" got me laughing. Lol!

That's some deep sh*t. A f*cking twisted cheap f*ck!

You seem on point though.

Re-reading and laughing my arse off too. There is no limit to what a mind can come up with if left to just roam free. Lol.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by edoairways: 4:02pm On Dec 14, 2019
I had bad experience with many Yorubas and am carry out a study on them to confirm or refute the belief that " Yorubas are crafty and backstabbers". Although some persons have proven the belief while others haven't yet.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by Ebenezar2020(m): 4:30pm On Jan 08, 2020
lyndaway:
I look more like an igbo lady if I tell you am from southern kaduna you won't believe most igbos I met ones they see me they start speaking igbo but I tell them am not igbo not with a fight I have igbo friend's has a matter of fact they are good to me maybe she has had an encounter with a bad one just maybe has they always say na one bad egg dey spoil the others
can I see your pics please?
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by vonxe: 8:53am On Jan 13, 2020
Parablesonmarble:

I partially agree with you base on these:
1. The southerners, irrespective of the tribe, abuses and tarnishes the hausa fulani because they hold on to power the southerners wanted
2. The minority tribe in the north: plateau, benue, taraba, Borno, Adamawa doesnt like the the hausa fulani because of their overbearing influence in the cause of surviving.
3. The igbos and yorubas being the majority tribes in the south wants to dominate the southern part of the country , in the quest for power and economic benefits they are always bitter with each other.
4. The minority tribes in the old eastern and western regions also have grudges against yoruba and igbos due to their overbearing influence in the cause of surviving. Ijaws, Efik, ibibio to the igbos while Edos, urhobo and ijaws to the yorubas.

I am only trying to reason along with you

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by Parablesonmarble: 9:19am On Jan 13, 2020
vonxe:

I partially agree with you base on these:
1. The southerners, irrespective of the tribe, abuses and tarnishes the hausa fulani because they hold on to power the southerners wanted
2. The minority tribe in the north: plateau, benue, taraba, Borno, Adamawa doesnt like the the hausa fulani because of their overbearing influence in the cause of surviving.
3. The igbos and yorubas being the majority tribes in the south wants to dominate the southern part of the country , in the quest for power and economic benefits they are always bitter with each other.
4. The minority tribes in the old eastern and western regions also have grudges against yoruba and igbos due to their overbearing influence in the cause of surviving. Ijaws, Efik, ibibio to the igbos while Edos, urhobo and ijaws to the yorubas.

I am only trying to reason along with you

Thanks a lot. I'm always reluctant to post any of my critical thoughts and observations on NL. There are some very intelligent people that relate perfectly and disagree or agree with you with a measure of decorum and respect. That way we can all learn more. However, some people here, unlike quora, can be abusive and dismissive, which is never good for any intellectual discuss. I'm glad we have people like you here. To the topic, I know my submissions are hypothetical, to say the least ,but this is a good topic to research thoroughly so as to have a good understanding of how heterogeneous environment like Nigeria works and how to minimize conflict in such environment. All hypotheses should be tested in search of sound theories. I totally agree with the points you made. Its only natural to any underdog to be aversed to perceived oppression. Thanks again.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians Have Tribal Hatred? by Lonelypacifist6: 9:48pm On Jan 14, 2020
Look at all multicultured countries in the world they have something in common They all don't agree.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Post Samuel. J Article Written In 1897 Supporting Oromiyan Arrival In Benin / Bekwarra People And The Ipem-ihihe (new Yam)festival / Any Ketu Epe Indigene Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.