Stats: 3,149,787 members, 7,806,180 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:38 PM

Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? (25031 Views)

Should I Quit Or Continue / Should I resign or continue? / Should I Join Police Or Continue With My Degree (2) (3) (4)

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by TheSociopath(m): 8:56am On Dec 11, 2019
Hmm
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by anonimi: 8:58am On Dec 11, 2019
seanblaise:
Good evening guys, I trust you all had an amazing day.

I have a problem which has been bothering me for a while now. I recently landed a job few months ago. The pay is not all that wonderful. When I add my other allowances, it sums up to 90k per month. I have been squating with a friend for some time now so am planning on getting my own apartment next year when I save up some money.

The only beauty about my job is that it gives you a lot of free time. I can be done with work as early as 1:30pm and go home.

I am thinking of going back to school for my M.Sc in UNILAG but as it is, I am my own sponsor. I have a first degree in Biochemistry.

Should I go back to school or continue working?
Does UNILAG offer part time options for students in my line of study?

In this incompetent bubu economy you say that 90k per month is not all wonderful for a graduate?
If jobless people catch you hian, you hear am. cheesy
Find a part time or distance learning programme to do and keep your not too busy job

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by admeenat: 8:58am On Dec 11, 2019
DONOT QUIT THAT JOB

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by anonimi: 9:00am On Dec 11, 2019

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by kelvxyn: 9:00am On Dec 11, 2019
90k job. U r lucky, ask d unemployed ones or bank contract staffs.

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Ishilove: 9:01am On Dec 11, 2019
seanblaise:

Am running out of time sir. Am already 26yrs old, by next year I will be 27. An M.Sc may position me for better opportunities in the future.
Please give me practical advice.
*sigh* sad

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by anonimi: 9:01am On Dec 11, 2019

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by prettyjo(f): 9:01am On Dec 11, 2019
never resign for an Msc
i will advise you work for a while and save up first before going for further studies

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by illiteratepmb: 9:04am On Dec 11, 2019
Don't let anyone deceive you.
HOLD YOUR JOB VERY TIGHT.
I'm telling you from experience UNLESS you have where you can IMMEDIATELY start working after the MSc program.
May God guide you.
Adieu.

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Nobody: 9:04am On Dec 11, 2019
seanblaise:

I have a problem which has been bothering me for a while now. I recently landed a job few months ago. The pay is not all that wonderful. When I add my other allowances, it sums up to 90k per month. I have been squating with a friend for some time now so am planning on getting my own apartment next year when I save up some money.

The only beauty about my job is that it gives you a lot of free time. I can be done with work as early as 1:30pm and go home.

I am thinking of going back to school for my M.Sc in UNILAG but as it is, I am my own sponsor. I have a first degree in Biochemistry.

Last sentence is NO!
My advice, save up small... Msc can come later.

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Ajibade123(m): 9:04am On Dec 11, 2019
what do I know you better don't quit that job school sef won't be sweet of you are broke

anyway do you wish to study or work in Australia,
Canada or US check my signature for more info
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Nobody: 9:04am On Dec 11, 2019
Good people of nairaland. Please help me
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by drealzum(m): 9:04am On Dec 11, 2019
I am reading all the comments here. I have similar challenge though not exactly this. The comments are quite enlightening.

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by KingDonPablo: 9:05am On Dec 11, 2019
seanblaise:

oboy u said 90k isn't much for a job that you finish around 1:30. I'm a graduate too bro I go to my friend's barbershop everyday from 8-8 and sometimes come back with nothing. Be thankful bro.

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Idamond: 9:07am On Dec 11, 2019
This kind hard time you want to leave your 90k job for MSc oya put me in your position and farewell to your MSc.

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by babyfaceafrica: 9:07am On Dec 11, 2019
anonimi:

In this incompetent bubu economy you say that 90k per month is not all wonderful for a graduate?
If jobless people catch you hian, you hear am. cheesy
Find a part time or distance learning programme to do and keep your not too busy job

90k per months is very very average especially if you live in Lagos,pH and abuja
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Rubbiish(m): 9:08am On Dec 11, 2019
Ladylite:

What is the benefit of going back to school when you could save up and invest and double your income in 10 months.

If you buy a land for 900k.... That would pay your more in one year or more if you sell it. Or if you use the some money to get into Uber, it would also increase your earnings.

Pls sir have multiple streams of income before going for MSc. It will help you. Many who have done masters are dreaming to have a job like yours o. Please you have a blessing at hand now, don't sacrifice it for what is commonly pursued.
U look younger than the sense u speak honestly
Wasn't expecting such advice from anyone below 30. Op If someone is not promising u a lecturing job u shouldn't bother ur head with masters in this country, to think u are contemplating resigning your job for masters is shocking

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by safarigirl(f): 9:08am On Dec 11, 2019
Ladylite:

What is the benefit of going back to school when you could save up and invest and double your income in 10 months.

If you buy a land for 900k.... That would pay your more in one year or more if you sell it. Or if you use the some money to get into Uber, it would also increase your earnings.

Pls sir have multiple streams of income before going for MSc. It will help you. Many who have done masters are dreaming to have a job like yours o. Please you have a blessing at hand now, don't sacrifice it for what is commonly pursued.
what kind of calculation will land you at 900k in 10 months?

He said he makes 90k per month, you think there will be no expenses incurred in that time? He cannot double his current income in 10 months. The man is looking for realistic targets and you are building castles in the sand.

Transportation, feeding, miscellaneous will eat out of that 90k. Unless he has another means of income aside the 90k, this advice is almost useless. And 10 other people with poor reasoning endorsed this undecided

The only useful thing is that he should have multiple streams of income and @OP, you will not be able to buy land or do Uber with 90k/month salary in even a year.

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Cybertext(m): 9:08am On Dec 11, 2019
@seanblaise

Msc grads are everywhere now with no job ooo.

Nigeria's economy now doesn't care about certificate anymore, now it's more of connects or experience, I'll advise you to save more, get stable in your job, and use your savings to get a good professional course in your job description or any related professional course that can improve your CV. Msc will only be better if you are planning on becoming a lecturer or tutor.

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by frozen70(f): 9:08am On Dec 11, 2019
seanblaise:

Save enough money to get an apartment for yourself

Put the few things you know you will need

Go to Unilag and find out the cost of the program

Save times two of the amount

Start the program

For the fact that you will be living alone, control your self over women and spending so that you can achieve your full academic dreams

After that you can plan to settle down

Keep friends that are focused and stay away from friends without vision

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by safarigirl(f): 9:09am On Dec 11, 2019
Rubbiish:

U look younger than the sense u speak honestly
Wasn't expecting such advice from anyone below 30. Op If someone is not promising u a lecturing job u shouldn't bother ur head with masters in this country, to think u are contemplating resigning your job for masters is shocking
so you think someone can have 900k in 10 months on a 90k salary?

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Fxwarrior: 9:09am On Dec 11, 2019
Ishilove:

*sigh* sad

I am...

Are you satisfied? Now advise... Sorry. I forgot you have no meaningful contribution.
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Fxwarrior: 9:11am On Dec 11, 2019
Ironman15:
Good people of nairaland. Please help me

Help you do what?
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Talkwisdom(m): 9:11am On Dec 11, 2019
seanblaise:

I have a problem which has been bothering me for a while now. I recently landed a job few months ago. The pay is not all that wonderful. When I add my other allowances, it sums up to 90k per month. I have been squating with a friend for some time now so am planning on getting my own apartment next year when I save up some money. S

My advice :Work and go to school...

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Emmaxy9(m): 9:12am On Dec 11, 2019
#Richdadpoordad

The poor think that more education will give them financial freedom because it eases the process of getting Jobs. They look for more degrees, if they want higher pay.
But the rich know that knowledge is money. So they take a field, train themselves, learn all well about it and bank on it and start a business from which no one pays them but as time goes on wealth comes
It's All about risk and also what you want. If you want just job, think about 50 years from now, will you still be having joy staying with that job? As time goes on, you might also find the next Job's pay too low for you.
Forget about most advise, its all on you and what you want.

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by safarigirl(f): 9:12am On Dec 11, 2019
babyfaceafrica:

90k per months is very very average especially if you live in Lagos,pH and abuja
some people obviously have poor knowledge of finances on Nairaland.

The way they are advising him on the 90k, one would think he said 900k. In Lagos and PH especially, that money is transport and feeding

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Rubbiish(m): 9:12am On Dec 11, 2019
edoairways:

M.sc is for academic purpose not necessary for promotion
This is what many people don't know
Everyone is rushing to do masters, if u don't intend using it for academic purpose like lecturing, masters is of little or no value

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Zyzman: 9:12am On Dec 11, 2019
seanblaise:

Hello brother I'm currently studying biochemistry in Unilag and I am to resume final year by 2020 I would love to get to know you bro. I'm so worried about job opportunities for biochemistry. Please drop your number let talk.
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Patojargz: 9:12am On Dec 11, 2019
Use your head on this. E get why! We can't speak 4 u
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Fxwarrior: 9:12am On Dec 11, 2019
safarigirl:
so you think someone can have 900k in 10 months on a 90k salary?

Of course!

If the person is not human.

Policewoman Hailed For Controlling Traffic Under Heavy Rain In Port Harcourt / 7 Types Of Bosses In Nigeria's Corporate Outfits / Four Million Nigerians Became Jobless In 2017 - National Bureau Of Statistics

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57