Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,675 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? (25046 Views)

Should I Quit Or Continue / Should I resign or continue? / Should I Join Police Or Continue With My Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Rubbiish(m): 9:14am On Dec 11, 2019
seanblaise:

Yes. I live and work in lagos.
U better remain in that ur job if u don't want to play with yourself

1 Like

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by babyfaceafrica: 9:14am On Dec 11, 2019
safarigirl:
some people obviously have poor knowledge of finances on Nairaland.

The way they are advising him on the 90k, one would think he said 900k. In Lagos and PH especially, that money is transport and feeding

no mind them,na buhari cause am...as if 90k na money?...Lagos and Abuja transport and feeding will make that money chicken change
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Emmaxy9(m): 9:14am On Dec 11, 2019
Richdadpoordad

The poor think that more education will give them financial freedom because it eases the process of getting Jobs. They look for more degrees, if they want higher pay.
But the rich know that knowledge is money. So they take a field, train themselves, learn all well about it and bank on it and start a business from which no one pays them but as time goes on wealth comes
It's All about risk and also what you want. If you want just job, think about 50 years from now, will you still be having joy staying with that job? As time goes on, you might also find the next Job's pay too low for you.
Forget about most advise, its all on you and what you want

3 Likes

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by safarigirl(f): 9:15am On Dec 11, 2019
Fxwarrior:

Of course!

If the person is not human.
based on some of the poorly thought-out advice flying about on this thread, OP must be a cartoon character

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Christmasdon(m): 9:15am On Dec 11, 2019
Op is it bekoz u saw the money coming. what if its stops coming. who will be talking of M.SC . harness this your opportunity of 90K per month and save and also invest in the near future and lively happily and not forgetting the less priviledged. okay. and who told u u can' go to LONDON Or AMERICA to do your M.SC.
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by SoNature(m): 9:15am On Dec 11, 2019
safarigirl:
what kind of calculation will land you at 900k in 10 months?

He said he makes 90k per month, you think there will be no expenses incurred in that time? He cannot double his current income in 10 months. The man is looking for realistic targets and you are building castles in the sand.

Transportation, feeding, miscellaneous will eat out of that 90k. Unless he has another means of income aside the 90k, this advice is almost useless. And 10 other people with poor reasoning endorsed this undecided

The only useful thing is that he should have multiple streams of income and @OP, you will not be able to buy land or do Uber with 90k/month salary in even a year.

Where do Nairaland girls actually come from? grin grin

See early-morning finishing!!! grin grin
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by babyfaceafrica: 9:16am On Dec 11, 2019
Rubbiish:

This is what many people don't know
Everyone is rushing to do masters, if u don't intend using it for academic purpose like lecturing, masters is of little or no value

not entirely True,some Masters ,give you an edge ,in some coys,they remove years of experience if you have Masters .

Also professional Masters help with promotion
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Ajixegun: 9:18am On Dec 11, 2019
seanblaise:
Good evening guys, I trust you all had an amazing day.

I have a problem which has been bothering me for a while now. I recently landed a job few months ago. The pay is not all that wonderful. When I add my other allowances, it sums up to 90k per month. I have been squating with a friend for some time now so am planning on getting my own apartment next year when I save up some money.

The only beauty about my job is that it gives you a lot of free time. I can be done with work as early as 1:30pm and go home.

I am thinking of going back to school for my M.Sc in UNILAG but as it is, I am my own sponsor. I have a first degree in Biochemistry.

Should I go back to school or continue working?
Does UNILAG offer part time options for students in my line of study?

For biochemistry(M.Sc) in Unilag, is strictly full time programme, but you can juggle the programme with your job, depending on how flexible the job is. Mind don't let the department know that you're working as you're running the programme, because the believe is that, work will affect you performance at the cause of running the programme.
Lastly, I'll advise you not to quit your job.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Fxwarrior: 9:18am On Dec 11, 2019
Zyzman:

Hello brother I'm currently studying biochemistry in Unilag and I am to resume final year by 2020 I would love to get to know you bro. I'm so worried about job opportunities for biochemistry. Please drop your number let talk.

You didn't worry before you chose the course. Never worried for 5 years you've been on it. Why now?

I believe you can create your own company that will reengineer the human system to live without food or increase human lifespan by 50 additional years.

I promise you that your money and Bill Gate's won't be mates.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Viking007(m): 9:19am On Dec 11, 2019
Ladylite:

What is the benefit of going back to school when you could save up and invest and double your income in 10 months.

If you buy a land for 900k.... That would pay your more in one year or more if you sell it. Or if you use the some money to get into Uber, it would also increase your earnings.

Pls sir have multiple streams of income before going for MSc. It will help you. Many who have done masters are dreaming to have a job like yours o. Please you have a blessing at hand now, don't sacrifice it for what is commonly pursued.
If only he'd listen. Why not focus on diversifying your income. There are people with 2 Bsc and Msc earning 30k monthly.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Rubbiish(m): 9:19am On Dec 11, 2019
safarigirl:
so you think someone can have 900k in 10 months on a 90k salary?
It may not necessarily be 900k, I think her point was op investing whatever he might have saved to finance his masters into something that will generate more income before going for masters & it is the best advice anyone that mean well for op will give to him.

1 Like

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Fxwarrior: 9:21am On Dec 11, 2019
babyfaceafrica:

no mind them,na buhari cause am...as if 90k na money?...Lagos and Abuja transport and feeding will make that money chicken change

You didn't put housing, clothing, comfort, data etc
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Fxwarrior: 9:21am On Dec 11, 2019
safarigirl:
based on some of the poorly thought-out advice flying about on this thread, OP must be a cartoon character

grin you must be very funny person.
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Rubbiish(m): 9:21am On Dec 11, 2019
KingDonPablo:
oboy u said 90k isn't much for a job that you finish around 1:30. I'm a graduate too bro I go to my friend's barbershop everyday from 8-8 and sometimes come back with nothing. Be thankful bro.
Op never see anything

1 Like

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by babyfaceafrica: 9:21am On Dec 11, 2019
Fxwarrior:

You didn't put housing, clothing, comfort, data etc
abi o
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by safarigirl(f): 9:23am On Dec 11, 2019
Rubbiish:

It may not necessarily be 900k, I think her point was op investing whatever he might have saved to finance his masters into something that will generate more income before going for masters & it is the best advice anyone that mean well for op will give to him.

She should have made the point without the jargons explanation. The explanation sent the point into coma.

That's why I agreed with the point on finding other investments, and called out the examples of buying land and doing Uber. Some people erroneously think Uber work is easy, of they know how many drivers are dragging for that work today, they will not easily mention Uber work as a business that brings money.

OP is even living in Lagos. If he sees 300k to invest at the expiration of that 10 months, he must be very prudent

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by babyfaceafrica: 9:24am On Dec 11, 2019
Rubbiish:

how can one save with 90k in Lagos and do business?..least than 249 dollars..jeez..this country is in a mess
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by kolaa007(m): 9:25am On Dec 11, 2019
Save your self the hassle of going to the market this weekend. Pamtommeat has got your back. Message us for your affordable meat limited portion available per week.
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by donbrowser(m): 9:25am On Dec 11, 2019
seanblaise:

I have a problem which has been bothering me for a while now. I recently landed a job few months ago. The pay is not all that wonderful. When I add my other allowances, it sums up to 90k per month. I have been squating with a friend for some time now so am planning on getting my own apartment next year when I save up some money.

The only beauty about my job is that it gives you a lot of free time. I can be done with work as early as 1:30pm and go home.

I am thinking of going back to school for my M.Sc in UNILAG but as it is, I am my own sponsor. I have a first degree in Biochemistry.

NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Chatflick(m): 9:26am On Dec 11, 2019
I believe only you can answer that question
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by nextlevel2020: 9:28am On Dec 11, 2019
My dear brother, if the job is secured and can open ways for greener pasture, the I am of opinion that you should hold it tight to chest and find ways to marry it with MSc program. Let me paint a picture here. When I was employed by my present employer, I was with only ND certificate. The rate of return, both basic and other addendums was 90k plus. Family and friends were on neck to return for my HND but I was reluctant to quit so soon, and few years later I squeezed to enroll for the program, a full-time HND program combined with full-time job, it was like end of road for me. But to cut the story short, I finished the HND program and I still have my job with me and my salary has increased by 250%, and not only that, the job has taken me to places that I have never thought of getting to in my life.The good news about the perseverance and focus is that, it's easier to get a good job if you are still active on one job. Therefore, I would advise you to pray for God's directive on any step you choose to take.

7 Likes

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Fxwarrior: 9:30am On Dec 11, 2019
Viking007:
If only he'd listen. Why not focus on diversifying your income. There are people with 2 Bsc and Msc earning 30k monthly.

MSC earning 30k?

Na lie. angry
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by femi4: 9:30am On Dec 11, 2019
seanblaise:

save for part time Masters ......you can go to shhool and Work simultaneously
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Nobody: 9:31am On Dec 11, 2019
seanblaise:

If you are in the same mix, did you quit your job or you are you plan combining your work and schooling.

Did you not get the message in his comment? He said he's combining work with study therefore you should shuttle between both and you're still asking the obvious. Hm..
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by clems88(m): 9:32am On Dec 11, 2019
Hmm. You'v got a job of 90k which you close 1:30pm and you wanna blow it away My brother don't let your village people use you. If I hard that kinda job I would have been a big boy
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Rubbiish(m): 9:33am On Dec 11, 2019
babyfaceafrica:

how can one save with 90k in Lagos and do business?..least than 249 dollars..jeez..this country is in a mess
U guys are not getting d point
The savings may necessarily not be from his job, but it is believed op have something on ground he intends to use for his masters, abi na teeth him want take go masters? I know how much my masters degree took from me. The point is whatever he intends using for his masters should be invested in something that will generate more income for now instead of him to quit his job & go for masters. Apart from the uncertainty of landing a job after masters, masters is expensive. There is no way he can finance his masters with a 90k salary, so it is assumed he has sth on ground already, because if he got no money on ground, he shouldn't be talking about MSC at all

cc safarigirl

2 Likes

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by omoadeleye(m): 9:33am On Dec 11, 2019
seanblaise:

Am running out of time sir. Am already 26yrs old, by next year I will be 27. An M.Sc may position me for better opportunities in the future.
Please give me practical advice.

Quit work and go and continue your school
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by seenga(m): 9:33am On Dec 11, 2019
this is the only sensible comment ive read so far... the pursiut of msc is still for bread... msc makes you an employee, business can make you an employer.
Osnami:
Use your school fees to start a small business you can be doing when you close from the other work
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by truffle: 9:35am On Dec 11, 2019
My brother pls do enroll for ur m.sc on a part time basis in unilag, im currently doing the same, im workin and doin my m.sc (part-time) in unilag too, do it now anr before u know ur done, im almost done as i have four months left something i started last year october, just like yesterday, do not let anyone discourage u for as long as ur a step in the right direction u must surely hit it big[qmuote author=seanblaise mypost=84802769]Good evening guys, I trust you all had an amazing day.

Does UNILAG offer part time options for students in my line of study? [/quote]
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by spenca: 9:35am On Dec 11, 2019
My guy, there is a negative correlation between master and a good pay. I am not a yardstick but I dont have a masters yet I earn more than masters degree holder. Maintain your job and advance yourself skill and knowledge wise.

You shall find greatness
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by 2ray4sure: 9:43am On Dec 11, 2019
seanblaise:

Go to National open university. Thank me later . some might look down on the school do more research about the school.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

20 Things 20-year-olds Dont Get / What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? / Chevron Nigeria To Sack 25% Of Workforce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.