Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,608 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:16 PM

Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? (25021 Views)

Should I Quit Or Continue / Should I resign or continue? / Should I Join Police Or Continue With My Degree (2) (3) (4)

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by safarigirl(f): 9:44am On Dec 11, 2019
Rubbiish:

U guys are not getting d point
The savings may necessarily not be from his job, but it is believed op have something on ground he intends to use for his masters, abi na teeth him want take go masters? I know how much my masters degree took from me. The point is whatever he intends using for his masters should be invested in something that will generate more income for now instead of him to quit his job & go for masters. Apart from the uncertainty of landing a job after masters, masters is expensive. There is no way he can finance his masters with a 90k salary, so it is assumed he has sth on ground already, because if he got no money on ground, he shouldn't be talking about MSC at all

cc safarigirl
so, you are working on a belief, not on a stated fact? Wow.

What if the something on ground is only on the condition that he is using it for Masters? Since we want to use hypothetical beliefs.... undecided

Abeg, let's just keep it at, he can save part of the 90k for a period of time and hopefully set up business with it. Funny thing is that, there is no guarantee the business will be successful. It is easy to star business, but sustaining business is the issue

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by africanman85: 9:45am On Dec 11, 2019
Codedboy95:
Don't, some people with Msc don't even earn upto 90k a month, since you said this job gives you free time my advice is that you should use this free time to learn a skill, for instance tech is the thing now but if you have no interest in tech there are still a lot of other things you can learn. You can save up money and Msc later.
Hello bro, which skill in tech can you suggest that is high in demand ?
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Viking007(m): 9:48am On Dec 11, 2019
Fxwarrior:

MSC earning 30k?

Na lie. angry
How much is your country's minimum wage again? cheesy
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Fxwarrior: 9:49am On Dec 11, 2019
nextlevel2020:
My dear brother, if the job is secured and can open ways for greener pasture, the I am of opinion that you should hold it tight to chest and find ways to marry it with MSc program. Let me paint a picture here. When I was employed by my present employer, I was with only ND certificate. The rate of return, both basic and other addendums was 90k plus. Family and friends were on neck to return for my HND but I was reluctant to quit so soon, and few years later I squeezed to enroll for the program, a full-time HND program combined with full-time job, it was like end of road for me. But to cut the story short, I finished the HND program and I still have my job with me and my salary has increased by 250%, and not only that, the job has taken me to places that I have never thought of getting to in my life.The good news about the perseverance and focus is that, it's easier to get a good job if you are still active on one job. Therefore, I would advise you to pray for God's directive on any step you choose to take.

What type of job is it?
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Fxwarrior: 9:50am On Dec 11, 2019
Viking007:
How much is your country's minimum wage again? cheesy

A master holder is never placed at that level. QED.
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Ferya(f): 9:54am On Dec 11, 2019
seanblaise:
Good evening guys, I trust you all had an amazing day.

I have a problem which has been bothering me for a while now. I recently landed a job few months ago. The pay is not all that wonderful. When I add my other allowances, it sums up to 90k per month. I have been squating with a friend for some time now so am planning on getting my own apartment next year when I save up some money.

Please, apply for a masters programme in Finland as from next month. You can apply for scholarship as well. I know you will get it because they usually give those that read your course.

Do not leave your job until you get a better one. Good luck!
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Rubbiish(m): 9:56am On Dec 11, 2019
safarigirl:
so, you are working on a belief, not on a stated fact? Wow.

What if the something on ground is only on the condition that he is using it for Masters? Since we want to use hypothetical beliefs.... undecided

Abeg, let's just keep it at, he can save part of the 90k for a period of time and hopefully set up business with it. Funny thing is that, there is no guarantee the business will be successful. It is easy to star business, but sustaining business is the issue
Didn't u read my post to the end? undecided
If he has no money saved up to finance his masters then he shouldn't be talking about masters. Or u think 90k salary is enough to finance a masters degree?

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Viking007(m): 9:56am On Dec 11, 2019
Fxwarrior:

A master holder is never placed at that level. QED.
cheesy Masters holder. When people are using their waec just to get slots. Oh well, good luck.
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by safarigirl(f): 10:00am On Dec 11, 2019
Rubbiish:

Didn't u read my post to the end? undecided
If he has no money saved up to finance his masters then he shouldn't be talking about masters. Or u think 90k salary is enough to finance a masters degree?
Didn't you read my own post? Does he need to have oney saved up to be talking of masters? I clearly asked that, what if there is money on the condition of the Masters? In simple English, what if he has a sponsor willing to bring funds for the Masters? Will you then say, he has no business talking about Masters with 90k salary?

It's alright

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by CopyKing: 10:00am On Dec 11, 2019
Bro,that Msc Program is not for now,it gulps money like mad.If u do am na financial disaster dey await you.

Keep your job.Use that free time to learn a skill and work as a freelancer,I know it sounds cliche but it's your best bet.If you work your ass out, in a years time your finances will quadruple.

Long story short,for the next one year build other sources of income,after that you go for Masters biko!

Bro for the next one week abeg download and read these books(no chance for excuse,U HAVE THE TIME,except if you are happy with your current financial state!)

RICH DAD POOR DAD
RICHEST MAN IN BABYLON

#MYONECENT
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Newguyhere: 10:02am On Dec 11, 2019
Most people are too dumb to see things from this perspective bro.
It's pointless trying to convince them. grin
Anyways, it's all good Sha.
Capitalist like me need such dumb folks..to exploit cheesy
Emmaxy9:
#Richdadpoordad

The poor think that more education will give them financial freedom because it eases the process of getting Jobs. They look for more degrees, if they want higher pay.
But the rich know that knowledge is money. So they take a field, train themselves, learn all well about it and bank on it and start a business from which no one pays them but as time goes on wealth comes
It's All about risk and also what you want. If you want just job, think about 50 years from now, will you still be having joy staying with that job? As time goes on, you might also find the next Job's pay too low for you.
Forget about most advise, its all on you and what you want.
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by GominaM(f): 10:05am On Dec 11, 2019
Biochemistry department in Unilag doesn't offer part time for Msc. I would advise you to continue working and saving for now. This is Nigeria, having Msc is not a guarantee of getting a good job.
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by highcurrent: 10:09am On Dec 11, 2019
itsme01:

i am from his village and we've got nothing to do with this
yes oo. his file is not in our portal.

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Rubbiish(m): 10:10am On Dec 11, 2019
safarigirl:
Didn't you read my own post? Does he need to have oney saved up to be talking of masters? I clearly asked that, what if there is money on the condition of the Masters? In simple English, what if he has a sponsor willing to bring funds for the Masters? Will you then say, he has no business talking about Masters with 90k salary?

It's alright
Now u contradict yourself
What if? Is the bold statement not premised on assumption?? What if he has a sponsor & what if he has money saved up, are they not all based on assumptions?
Often times we just like arguing to make no point.

& on What if there is no money for masters
He shouldn't be talking about it.
I cannot open a thread contemplating on whether to buy a private jet when I have no money for it, it doesn't make sense.
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Toyeen85: 10:19am On Dec 11, 2019
Why not try open university its cheaper and u don't need to border yourself about lecture.
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 11, 2019
itsme01:

i am from his village and we've got nothing to do with this

grin villagers disclaimers
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by geunik(m): 10:47am On Dec 11, 2019
When dangote advertise for the position of a driver with bsc, 4 PhD, thousands of msc and untold number of bsc applied. Face ya job
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by oluseguncommand: 10:49am On Dec 11, 2019
ungrateful heart......so you are earning 90k per month and you are still saying it is not all that wonderful...
While those that have more that ur cert are praying for ordinary 25000 job...I beg resign..mtchwee
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by elbulk(m): 11:09am On Dec 11, 2019
seanblaise:

Am running out of time sir. Am already 26yrs old, by next year I will be 27. An M.Sc may position me for better opportunities in the future.
Please give me practical advice.

Msc holders are everywhere, some from top schools around the world. Build yourself and get good experience, there´s never a time to do it,you can always do it. Also, you can pick up a part time Msc while you work.
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Codedboy95(m): 11:10am On Dec 11, 2019
africanman85:
Hello bro, which skill in tech can you suggest that is high in demand ?
Programming
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by nnahernest(m): 11:10am On Dec 11, 2019
Bro please,lets chat on WhatsApp,there are some critical questions I really need to ask you?before I advice,07039476669

quote author=seanblaise post=84802769]Good evening guys, I trust you all had an amazing day.

I have a problem which has been bothering me for a while now. I recently landed a job few months ago. The pay is not all that wonderful. When I add my other allowances, it sums up to 90k per month. I have been squating with a friend for some time now so am planning on getting my own apartment next year when I save up some money.

The only beauty about my job is that it gives you a lot of free time. I can be done with work as early as 1:30pm and go home.

I am thinking of going back to school for my M.Sc in UNILAG but as it is, I am my own sponsor. I have a first degree in Biochemistry.

Should I go back to school or continue working?
Does UNILAG offer part time options for students in my line of study? [/quote]
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by larrypourl(m): 11:12am On Dec 11, 2019
Don't try leaving that job, Please combine both together. MSc isn't joke oo, without fund you'll be frustrated because you can spend within 10-15k weekly on assignments and other projects alone and those lectures no send u oo. So manage your job and program together.
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Jackofalltrade: 11:13am On Dec 11, 2019
Am in these shoes currently, I have applied for masters before getting my job and my take home as engineer is about 100k. Unilag MSC offer me admission while my company transfered me to the north, but after going through all comments am more enlightened and I have decided now.

First time ever to benefit from nairaland
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by CodeTemplar: 11:17am On Dec 11, 2019
OP since your job gives you time, go to unilag yourself and make direct enquiries. Also don't forget to conceal your job because of those who maybe eyeing you for 'sorting' or as a potential 'sorting' candidate.

You may subtly give them the impression your flexible work is a manual hustle of your own to get fair reply when making enquiry.
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by mechanics(m): 11:28am On Dec 11, 2019
Rednaxelot:
You are fortunate to be employed and not wandering in the labor market.

You wanna go back to school for MSc, after then come back to the labor market.

What guarantees you that your MSc is a sure ticket to bring meals to your table?

I advise if you could find a way of shuttling between the two, work and school, and not minding the stress, it’s ok. Resigning from work to purse an advance certificate in Nigeria is not advisable.
True talk.
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by mechanics(m): 11:32am On Dec 11, 2019
If you can combine the two no problem, but if you can't, you can work till when you have enough, then you can further, but Master's program is expensive o.
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by yankison(m): 11:32am On Dec 11, 2019
nextlevel2020:
My dear brother, if the job is secured and can open ways for greener pasture, the I am of opinion that you should hold it tight to chest and find ways to marry it with MSc program. Let me paint a picture here. When I was employed by my present employer, I was with only ND certificate. The rate of return, both basic and other addendums was 90k plus. Family and friends were on neck to return for my HND but I was reluctant to quit so soon, and few years later I squeezed to enroll for the program, a full-time HND program combined with full-time job, it was like end of road for me. But to cut the story short, I finished the HND program and I still have my job with me and my salary has increased by 250%, and not only that, the job has taken me to places that I have never thought of getting to in my life.The good news about the perseverance and focus is that, it's easier to get a good job if you are still active on one job. Therefore, I would advise you to pray for God's directive on any step you choose to take.

Please I'm in search of a job please help ... I read public administration
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by airminem(f): 11:34am On Dec 11, 2019
edoairways:
M.sc is for academic purpose not necessary for promotion
Great
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by edoairways: 11:46am On Dec 11, 2019
Rubbiish:

This is what many people don't know
Everyone is rushing to do masters, if u don't intend using it for academic purpose like lecturing, masters is of little or no value
Exactly!
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Nobody: 11:47am On Dec 11, 2019
seanblaise:

Am running out of time sir. Am already 26yrs old, by next year I will be 27. An M.Sc may position me for better opportunities in the future.
Please give me practical advice.

IT WON'T.

What employers want to see is your working experience, your MSC means nothing. Take it from me BRO.

I have worked in xyz, taking xyz roles will definitely improve your scores in any Interview, not how far your MSC has gone.

Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Spidermon: 11:48am On Dec 11, 2019
Why don't you use that MSC money to make more money?
If it is knowledge you need, the internet is there.
Put that money and your free time to good use.
Re: Should I Go Back To School Or Continue Working? by Fordwest(m): 11:50am On Dec 11, 2019
I am thinking of going back to school for my M.Sc in UNILAG but as it is, I am my own sponsor. I have a first degree in Biochemistry.

Should I go back to school or continue working?
[color=#990000][/color]

Guy i suggest u hold unto your work, how many of your mates have a job right now. Nigeria does not promise anyone a job unless God is involved and u av contacts. U re 26yrs old already and u talk of de future like u jus 21yrs, guy ur mates are getting married already. U supposed to be making plans of ur future with wat ur hand is doin for u now. U want Msc, de certificates u have already what hav u achieved with it?? Ure looking for another one. Do u knw how many phd holder dat are doing carpentry and doin floor tilling and pop and driving buses and keke. And they re making good their lives and feeding their partners and families with it. You are talking like someone just kept a job waiting for u to finish ur Msc.. Guy dont loose guard that job oo else u might regret it, u will just be in ur class doing ur Msc and staring at the teacher knowing you could av made cool 90k months end. Dis is reality guy. Am telling u cos am working mysef.

What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? / Four Million Nigerians Became Jobless In 2017 - National Bureau Of Statistics / Policewoman Hailed For Controlling Traffic Under Heavy Rain In Port Harcourt

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61