Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,980 members, 7,799,340 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt - Crime (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt (67731 Views)

Dog Dies In Colombia, Was 'Gang-Raped' And Stabbed 30 Times / Matilda Mark Itonyo: Police Arrest Ex-Boyfriend Of Murdered Rivers Student / Ajila Seun Fionna Raped And Stabbed To Death In Ondo(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by midnighter(f): 5:06pm On Dec 11, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
No 'learned' persons makes statements based on stereotypes. Stereotypes are mostly assumptions which may or not be true. Using stereotype to buttress the point that "Ekiti state is not as bad as Rivers State" should be the joke of the century. Seems you lot love lying to yourselves. I've asked on this same thread severally for you guys to tell me the crimes that take place in Rivers State but doesn't in other states. If you could establish that one or two happens in Rivers that has never happened in any part of the country, only then will validate your points.

A stereotype is an assumption. People are free to make assumptions as long as they can back them up with evidence.

Ekiti state is in no way as bad as Rivers state in terms of crime. You can go and check the national bureau of statistics yourself. That's not even a stereotype, its just a fact.

You said that Lagos is the worst for crimes except terrorism, in which case the north takes it (which is true). But apparently that's not a stereotype and you made the statement as a "learned person".

Did you bring out any statistics or data when you said that? No.

But suddenly when somebody mentions Rivers, everybody is making assumptions and stereotypes smh. You're the only person allowed to talk right?

So if a northerner enters now and tells you you are just stereotyping and lying, you won't be amazed?

The bolded doesn't even make any sense; nobody said that there is some special type of crime that only happens in Rivers. That is different from saying that there are certain crimes that have a higher rate in Rivers than other places which is what you were disputing when you said this:

GrabHisBalls:

how can a Nigerian claim a part of Nigeria is less crime ridden to others ?

Smh
Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 5:09pm On Dec 11, 2019
midnighter:

At the bolded, they are not necessarily not inherent in all other states apart from Rivers. But at the very least Rivers is included in a group of states that are relatively unsafe for various reasons.

From an article written about the safety of Rivers state compared to Lagos (using crime rates taken from the National Bureau of Statistics) :

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2017/07/20/oil-rich-rivers-state-safer-lagos-kano-3-others-governor-claimed/

"Rivers was second after Lagos for offences against persons. For crimes against property, it had a lower rate than Lagos and Kano, but a higher rate than Kogi, Benue and Kaduna." In 2016.

From another watch-dog:

"...according to their data “there has been a consistent increase in crime rate and fatalities in [Rivers] state since January this year. Peculiar to crime in the state is cultism and assassinations."

From the US government travel advice:

"Do Not Travel to:

Coastal areas of Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross Rivers, Delta, and Rivers states (with the exception of Port Harcourt) due to crime, civil unrest, kidnapping, and maritime crime."

From the UK government travel advice:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/nigeria/safety-and-security

"The FCO advise against all but essential travel to Abia State and non-riverine areas of Delta, Bayelsa and Rivers States.

Militant groups are active across the Niger Delta area and have carried out a number of attacks on oil and gas infrastructure. There’s a high risk of armed robbery, criminality and criminal kidnap in the Niger Delta area."

From New Zealand government travel advice:

"Do not travel [to] the delta states of Abia, Akwa Ibom, Anambra, Bayelsa, Delta, Imo, Rivers (including Port Harcourt and Bonny Island) and the river areas of Cross River state in the south east of the country.

The significant risk of kidnapping, armed attacks against foreign oil companies and expatriate workers, localised conflict and violent civil unrest present an extreme risk to safety in these areas."

From the 2019 Nigeria Annual Crime and Safety Report:

https://www.osac.gov/Content/Report/4a5eaf52-3655-43e6-b540-1684bcb6f3de

"States in the South South (Niger Delta), particularly Rivers State, experienced the most violence during their gubernatorial election."

"Other than Rivers state, most of the urban centers in southern Nigeria remained mostly calm in the wake of the elections."

From an academic paper about crime in Nigeria:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301285756_Prevalence_of_Lethal_and_Non-lethal_Crimes_in_Nigeria

"Findings in this article show that armed robberies is a recurring form of crime in Nigeria, contributing about 50% of an overall 8516 deaths in 3, 840 fatal incidents between June 2006 and September, 2015 nationwide. Lagos, Rivers, Ogun, Benue and Imo states were reported as the most affected crime states. "

From Wikipedia (which is a bad source but this particular statement cited that first article I mentioned) :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Rivers_State

"According to the 2016 National Bureau of Statistics crime report, Rivers State, with an estimated population of 7.3 million, had the third highest total crime rate and the third highest property crime among six states with over 4 million population in Nigeria "
So, in essence, what did this finding teach you? I was hoping you'd give me something to shut me up, but then you've succeeded in validating my point.

Your 2016 National Bureau of Statistics crime report states that Rivers is the Third crime ridden state. Let me guess, from the same report, Lagos topped the chart. grin

The other on Prevalence of Lethal and non-lethal crimes, Lagos stopped and Rivers followed.

Militancy is a thing of the past. You don't blame a people for taking up laws into their hands when a government saddled with that responsibility won't do what's right. When last did you hear of militancy?

About Rivers and especially Bonny being unsafe. I think there's a lot people on social media are ignorant of. Bonny is one of the Richest L.G.As in Rivers State with a 24/7 power supply than any part of Nigeria could boost of housing more expatriates, indegenous and non-indigenous workers that you could think of. It has never been an unsafe place other than the recent electoral violence in which a corper was shot.

About our electoral violence, I believe that's more of a belief system. If you don't protect your resources, one Northern/Western leader will have it. If they have to kill the senseless ones to do so, let that be.

The right question to ask would be, why are their elections always violent? When you have that answer, you'll understand what Nigerian politics is on about. Have a nice day.

1 Like

Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by midnighter(f): 5:17pm On Dec 11, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
So, in essence, what did this finding teach you? I was hoping you'd give me something to shut me up, but then you've succeeded in validating my point.

Your 2016 National Bureau of Statistics crime report states that Rivers is the Third crime ridden state. Let me guess, from the same report, Lagos topped the chart. grin

The other on Prevalence of Lethal and non-lethal crimes, Lagos stopped and Rivers followed

Yes, like I said in my other post

It's not that Rivers is individually always worse than every other state. It's that if we talk about Rivers, we can say that in some respects, their crime rates are worse than some other areas.

That's what you were arguing against.

If we were talking about Bayelsa or Akwa Ibom, we could still use some of the same statistics. But we are talking about Rivers, which is included in those numbers.

I didn't say that Lagos is not worse than Rivers or that Rivers is the worst state in Nigeria. In fact I haven't mentioned Lagos at all.

I simply pointed out that Rivers crime rate in some areas is worse than some other places in he country. Which is true and reflected in those sources.
Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 5:21pm On Dec 11, 2019
midnighter:

A stereotype is an assumption. People are free to make assumptions as long as they can back them up with evidence.

Ekiti state is in no way as bad as Rivers state in terms of crime. You can go and check the national bureau of statistics yourself. That's not even a stereotype, its just a fact.

You said that Lagos is the worst for crimes except terrorism, in which case the north takes it (which is true). But apparently that's not a stereotype and you made the statement as a "learned person".

Did you bring out any statistics or data when you said that? No.

But suddenly when somebody mentions Rivers, everybody is making assumptions and stereotypes smh. You're the only person allowed to talk right?

So if a northerner enters now and tells you you are just stereotyping and lying, you won't be amazed?

The bolded doesn't even make any sense; nobody said that there is some special type of crime that only happens in Rivers. That is different from saying that there are certain crimes that have a higher rate in Rivers than other places which is what you were disputing when you said this:

Smh
America has recorded more gun violence in the world than any other country apart from the war ridden societies. Would it be justifiable to state that America is the most Unsafe country to live in?

I told you Lagos state houses more crimes than Rivers state and just because I didn't dig up statistics to back that up doesn't mean I don't have one or two to validate that.

In all, increase in crime rate are the major problems of Urban cities due to population explosion. Even from your research, Lagos state stood with the most crimes when all states were compared, why was that? If some of you don't understand that PH is the second most industrious state in Nigeria after Lagos state with a little difference in human capital, then we shouldn't be having this conversation.

Imagine someone comparing PH to Ekiti. grin Abeg, that was the most embarrassing comparison I have had to make. It's like comparing Keke Napep to a plane.

1 Like

Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 5:28pm On Dec 11, 2019
midnighter:

Yes, like I said in my other post

It's not that Rivers is individually always worse than every other state. It's that if we talk about Rivers, we can say that in some respects, their crime rates are worse than some other areas.

That's what you were arguing against.

If we were talking about Bayelsa or Akwa Ibom, we could still use some of the same statistics. But we are talking about Rivers, which is included in those numbers.

I didn't say that Lagos is not worse than Rivers or that Rivers is the worst state in Nigeria. In fact I haven't mentioned Lagos at all.

I simply pointed out that Rivers crime rate in some areas is worse than some other places in he country. Which is true and reflected in those sources.
Okay, I get you now. It's not that crime doesn't take place in other places, it's just that Rivers records more crimes than some other places the same way Lagos State is the father of criminal activities. Touchè! And I pointed out that the reason for that is overpopulation.
Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by midnighter(f): 5:29pm On Dec 11, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
America has recorded more gun violence in the world than any other country apart from the war ridden societies. Would it be justifiable to state that America is the most Unsafe country to live in?

I told you Lagos state houses more crimes than Rivers state and just because I didn't dig up statistics to back that up doesn't mean I don't have one or two to validate that.

It wouldn't be fair to say that America is the most unsafe country to live in. It would be fair to say that America is LESS SAFE TO LIVE IN THAN OTHER COUNTRIES THAT HAVE A LOWER RATE OF GUN CRIME.

We are talking about Rivers and you keep fixating on Lagos. Why?? I am saying Rivers is worse than some other states and you keep deflecting by saying that at least it's not as bad as Lagos, when we're not even talking about Lagos.

Hahahaaaa. cheesy You don't need to dig up statistics to back up your point, yet you said that without statistics, what I said is "an assumption that cannot be taken seriously".

Because you are the only one allowed to make any assumptions here and the rest of us are stupid right? Abeggg
Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by midnighter(f): 5:32pm On Dec 11, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
Okay, I get you now. It's not that crime doesn't take place in other places, it's just that Rivers records more crimes than some other places the same way Lagos State is the father of criminal activities. Touchè! And I pointed out that the reason for that is overpopulation.

I'm not sure what you mean by that because crime statistics are reported by ratio to account for differences in population.

But okay.
Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 5:52pm On Dec 11, 2019
midnighter:

I'm not sure what you mean by that because crimes statistics are reported by ratio to account for differences in population.

But okay.
Okay, look at it this way. If Lagos state were a village, it won't have recorded the most crimes. A village has over a 100 persons who know each other either directly or indirectly. Villages have mechanisms to check and avoid crimes. Big cities on the other hand houses too many people who do not know each other. That's why the propensity to commit crimes are more in urban cities when compared to villages. This is the least I could explain it. It's googleable.
Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by midnighter(f): 6:02pm On Dec 11, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
Okay, look at it this way. If Lagos state were a village, it won't have recorded the most crimes. A village has over a 100 persons who know each other either directly or indirectly. Villages have mechanisms to check and avoid crimes. Big cities on the other hand houses too many people who do not know each other. That's why the propensity to commit crimes are more in urban cities when compared to villages. This is the least I could explain it. It's googleable.

Okay. But since they are both large, overcrowded cities, what does it have to do with the matter at hand?

I am not necessarily disputing the reason why large cities record greater crime statistics because I wasn't really interested in that.

I quoted you because I couldn't get why you made that particular statement, which was "How can somebody say that some states in Nigeria are more crime-ridden than others?", when literally no country on the planet has uniform crime rates across the board.

Somewhere must always be worse than the other. So Lagos>Rivers>Ekiti is fine by me.
Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 6:16pm On Dec 11, 2019
Chai, fine final year just dead like that. It really scares me
Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by xendra: 6:38pm On Dec 11, 2019
Brandstudio01:
Rip to the dead.
I wish I can advice Ladies to be careful. But for many of our slay Queens Advice don't even exist.
I cant believe you, it's too many of your kind that makes things never get better in this country. I pray the day evil befall you, you will remember to blame yourself for not being careful because it is your fault people of the world are so evil.

people get raped/killed in their houses even in churches. as long as there are evil people, the day they don't see anybody to get on the road they will come to your house, if they don't get a young girl, they will come for your mother. you all need to stop victimizing the victims just because you hate/are angry at some girls.

you could condemn the rapist/killers but no,because they are men, it is the girl that needs advice. until it comes to your doors y'all wouldn't learn.

3 Likes

Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by karixz: 6:38pm On Dec 11, 2019
scent9:
They really didn't want to just waste her so they raped her before killing her. #heartless nonentities undecided[color=#990000][/color]
She wasn't raped
Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 6:41pm On Dec 11, 2019
Romanoff:

Some of you don't have sense, kobo. So cause someone is a prostitute, it is okay to rape them?

l did not say it is okay to rape. I am just saying it is nice to protect oneself from situations that lead to rape
Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by TissuePaper: 6:50pm On Dec 11, 2019
niaralandtopuser:
l did not say it is okay to rape. I am just saying it is nice to protect oneself from situations that lead to rape
what a stupid comment, can u just drop your fvcking condolences and let the girl rest in peace
Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by TissuePaper: 6:51pm On Dec 11, 2019
karixz:

She's hardworking
She doesn't beg from guys
where u her coursemate?
Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 11, 2019
TissuePaper:
what a stupid comment, can u just drop your fvcking condolences and let the girl rest in peace
idiot get off my mention. don't just jump into the middle of conversation
Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by TissuePaper: 7:21pm On Dec 11, 2019
niaralandtopuser:
idiot get off my mention. don't just jump into the middle of conversation
mumu
Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by Bahddo(m): 7:22pm On Dec 11, 2019
Brandstudio01:
Rip to the dead.
I wish I can advice Ladies to be careful. But for many of our slay Queens Advice don't even exist.
interesting how you aren't wishing that people stop raping and killing. Ladies are raped, not because they aren't careful but because some guy somewhere thinks it's okay to rape and kill them.

Stop blaming the victims!

4 Likes

Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by sosa993: 9:15pm On Dec 11, 2019
OmniSparrow:

What dumb people like you don't know is, even a prostitute should not be raped. But you are cursed so no need.

I’m even trying to understand the part where he said women dress like prostitute on campus. Is it not this same university we went to? Maybe na my school sha. In Futa if you dress anyhow they’ll send you back home both male and female. So I don’t understand the dressing like a prostitute part.

1 Like

Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by leomarz007: 9:44pm On Dec 11, 2019
in fela's voice.. na craze world be dat Animals in craze man skin na craze world be dat na be outside dem kill dem students na craze world be dat na be outside all dis dey happen na craze world be dat ee oh.

2 Likes

Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by midnighter(f): 9:47pm On Dec 11, 2019
leomarz007:
in fela's voice..
na craze world be dat
Animals in craze man skin
na craze world be dat
na be outside dem kill dem students
na craze world be dat
na be outside all dis dey happen
na craze world be dat ee oh.

Soweto Zaria and Ife!

1 Like

Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by TissuePaper: 10:07pm On Dec 11, 2019
midnighter:

Soweto Zaria and Ife!
seems you are a Muslim smiley
Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by midnighter(f): 10:26pm On Dec 11, 2019
TissuePaper:
seems you are a Muslim smiley

Wow! And what gave you that erroneous idea
Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by TissuePaper: 11:25pm On Dec 11, 2019
midnighter:

Wow! And what gave you that erroneous idea
you believe that there is no god but Allah

Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by shawnmendes: 11:43pm On Dec 11, 2019
Brandstudio01:
Rip to the dead.
you people never fail to show your stupidity. Save your advice for your rapist and murderous men. Ode.

1 Like

Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by midnighter(f): 3:29am On Dec 12, 2019
TissuePaper:
you believe that there is no god but Allah

Well truly, there is no God but Allah. However I am not a Muslim
Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by TallPck1(m): 7:06am On Dec 12, 2019
karixz:

She was not raped

You need to check the headline again.
Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by karixz: 11:32am On Dec 12, 2019
TissuePaper:
where u her coursemate?
That's my elder sister man

2 Likes

Re: Matilda Itonyo Mark Raped And Stabbed To Death In Port Harcourt by karixz: 11:33am On Dec 12, 2019
TallPck1:

You need to check the headline again.
That's my elder sister
I know what I'm saying

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Abia Native Doctors With Panties, Pictures In Forest Caught By Youths (Photos) / Photos Of Anthony Oluseye Akinyemi Who Died In US Immigration Detention Centre / Chioma & De Young: Oko Poly Students Die 5 Days To Final Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.