Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,573 members, 7,809,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:48 PM

Why I Celebrate My Mother On My Birthday - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why I Celebrate My Mother On My Birthday (239 Views)

I Celebrate You babe... Happy Valentine's Day!!! / Sanchi Celebrates Her Mother On Mother's Day / I Celebrate Her (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why I Celebrate My Mother On My Birthday by antonio1973(m): 8:09pm On Dec 11, 2019
How to Celebrate Mom

I celebrated my birthday this week but the day was not about me at all. Let me explain:

A few years ago, a friend of mine, Scott, taught me something that still resonates with me. Scott told me that, every year on his birthday, he sends his mother flowers and a note telling his mother just how much he appreciates her. I was very surprised and touched by what I heard and decided to do the same for my mother.

My mother recently started growing culinary herbs in her garden at home. I know how much she loves her herb garden so I sent her a few potted herbs that she could transplant in her garden. I also sent her a note telling her how grateful I was for her bringing me into this world and for loving me unconditionally despite all my faults. I told her what a wonderful person she is and thanked her for all the support she has afforded me throughout the years.

The first time I did this for my mother years ago, I sent her flowers instead of herbs for her garden. This made us both tear up. My mother did not expect the gesture and it touched her heart. I also learned that there often is more joy in giving than receiving.

My mother has done so much for me in my life. She taught me how to be a better person, showered me with love, and instilled values in me that I will carry for life. She is the epitome of equanimity and kindness. Not only is she extremely devoted, she also is principled and never waivers from her beliefs. She has tolerated me in spite of all my shortcomings and she has never failed to give me wise advice and guidance. She has always been my moral compass and believed in me. The lifelong gifts she has bestowed upon me greatly shadow anything I do for her.

The reason I am posting this is because I want to share the valuable lesson that Scott taught me. If you give your mother flowers on your birthday, expect her to be very touched and cry. We are nothing without our parents and I know I am guilty of not expressing my gratitude sufficiently over the years. I am aware that I have often taken my mother for granted and I feel that I need to reciprocate her unconditional love, something I know I will never achieve.

I also think that it is important to note how one person's kindness can influence so many others. Scott made an impact on me by telling me how he sends his mother flowers on his birthday and I have told many others his story. I know that many of my friends now do the same on their birthdays, and all this started with Scott. In fact, since I recently posted about this experience on Reddit, hundreds of others have been touched, responded to me, and have vowed to do the same. And all this started with Scott. He has touched so many people's lives.

One person can, indeed, make a huge impact on this world. My mother and Scott are perfect examples of this. This is the shortest post on my blog thus far, but it also is one of the most personal and important to me.

I hope you take the time to tell your mother how appreciated she is on your birthday. Thank you very much, Scott. And thank you, Mom.

(1) (Reply)

Here Are Beautiful E-christmas Cards. / Enough With The Wailing Threads, It’s Becoming Embarrassing. / Before You Read Any Post by Englishmart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.