Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. (1860 Views)

When Jonathan Visited The Sultan Of Sokoto, People Waited Outside The Palace To / When Jonathan Was Called 419 Over ₦140 Fuel Price (Throwback Photos) / Ikpeazu To Timi Frank: “You Blackmailed Jonathan, Used And Dumped By APC” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by NGpatriot: 10:21pm On Dec 11, 2019
Nigerian military goes berserk, blocks newspapers distribution

The Nigerian military on Saturday continued its onslaught on newspapers by sealing off the popular major distribution depot in the Area 1 District of Abuja, from where all newspapers are distributed to agents and vendors across the Nigerian capital.

Witnesses said soldiers in about seven trucks laid siege on the distribution point, preventing any kind of newspaper circulation from taking place.

Media houses promptly devised an alternate and secret means to ensure their papers get to the public in the Nigerian capital promptly; a reminder of the days of military dictatorship.

The Managing Director of Leadership Group, Azubike Ishiekwene, expressed his concern at the situation.

“As I speak to you now, I’ve been driving round Abuja, there are no papers in town. The major newspaper depot at Area 1 has been shut down by soldiers in seven trucks,” he told PREMIUM TMES. “This is definitely an affront on press freedom and free speech.”

It was not only in Abuja that the military declared war on newspapers.

In Lagos, soldiers confiscated thousands of copies of the Saturday edition of Leadership newspaper at the domestic wing of the Murtala Mohammed International Airport in Lagos.

The Lagos editor of the newspaper, Kazeem Akintunde, confirmed the seizure to PREMIUM TIMES.

“Yes, our paper was seized this morning at the airport around 6 a.m.,” Mr. Akintunde said.

The newspaper’s cover story for the day concerns the death of the Emir of Kano and not any report relating to military operations.

He also said a staff of the circulation department of the paper was arrested by the soldiers.

In Benin, the Edo State capital, soldiers continued their siege on the office of the Nigerian Union of Journalists, NUJ, preventing all but Leadership and The Nation newspapers from being circulated.

Patrick Ochoga, the Edo state correspondent of Leadership in Benin confirmed this to PREMIUM TIMES.

The military attack on Nigerian newspapers commenced on Friday with soldiers confiscating thousands of Nigerian newspapers including Leadership, The Nation, and Punch newspapers.

The military, however, defended its actions in a statement by its spokesperson, Chris Olukolade, who said it was a routine security check.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to clarify that the exercise has nothing to do with content or operation of the media organisations or their personnel as is being wrongly imputed by a section of the press,” Mr. Olukolade, a Major General, said on Friday.

Mr. Olukolade could not be reached on Saturday to comment on the continuing media onslaught.

The Nigerian government also, Friday, defended the military’s attack on Newspapers.

“The military will not deliberately and without cause, infringe on the freedom of the press,” Mike Omeri, the Director General of the National Orientation Agency said.

According to him, “confiscation of newspapers has nothing to do with content or operation of the media organisations or their personnel.”

The military onslaught against the media might not be unconnected with several media reports, first published by Leadership Newspapers, that nearly a dozen army generals and soldiers on lower ranks were being court-martialled for sabotaging the Nigerian government’s onslaught against Boko Haram; a report the military denied.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/162255-nigerian-military-goes-berserk-blocks-newspapers-distribution-abuja-lagos.html[/quote]

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by Simplyleo: 10:23pm On Dec 11, 2019
How many media houses have been harrased?

How many of the wailing goats like fani kayode, fayose, omokriminal and a host of others including the online urchins are held in detention for insulting buhari?

As simple as these questions look, rather than simply providing answers, they will start running from north pole to south pole foolishly saying things completely unrelated.

Wailing is allowed, but foolishly doing it makes you more stupid than a baby goat. angry

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by yerokunphilips: 10:24pm On Dec 11, 2019
Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by NGpatriot: 10:26pm On Dec 11, 2019
.Just imagine PMB sending the military to attack news media houses and confiscated their publications, you hypocrites and purveyors of hatred wont let us sleep lai lai.

Jona was the ultimate dictator.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by Beremx(f): 10:28pm On Dec 11, 2019
So what? It happened and Nigerians condemned it.

Does that mean Buhari should do a similar thing?

Make una get sense!!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by helinues: 10:32pm On Dec 11, 2019
So? Is that's the justifications for Apc led government?
Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by NGpatriot: 10:37pm On Dec 11, 2019
Beremx:
So what? It happened and Nigerians condemned it.

Does that mean Buhari should do a similar thing?

Make una get sense!!

NO, PMB didn't do no such thing and if he did, you hypocrites people will commit suicide.

Btw, you did not condemn anything when Jona brutalized the news media with the military.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by obiekunie2: 10:38pm On Dec 11, 2019
what i still dont understand is the obsession of this evil government in always using Jonathan as the yard stick for their evil acts - like you guys are trying to outdo jonathan's wrongs!

PLS YOU GUYS SHOULD STOP! YOU HAVE ALREADY BEATEN HIS FAILURE RECORDS WITH VERY HUGE MARGIN!

Funny thing is you dumbos always forget its because of his very few wrongs (when compared to the humongous wrongs of this dead and dumb administration) that made majority of us raise a huge campaign of calumny against him back in 2015 believing that APC has better things to offer us!

now we know better!

can you zombs and these wicked government pls leave Jonathan alone!

as it stands now many of us sane Nigerians are regretting ever allowing ourselves to be fooled by APC propaganda machine in 2015!

No one should even count 2019 election as an election! cause that one is pure 'terror-lection'!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by obiekunie2: 10:40pm On Dec 11, 2019
helinues:

e be like say this zomb don go collect him brain back! cheesy cheesy lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by NGpatriot: 10:42pm On Dec 11, 2019
helinues:

No, not justification, just pointing out the hypocrisy and Punch's stupidity and why they did not label Jona a dictator because that was a direct attack on the press and pure brutality.

Stop mixing A and B together.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by Simplyleo: 10:45pm On Dec 11, 2019
NGpatriot:

No, not justification, just pointing out the hypocrisy and Punch's stupidity and why they did not label Jona a dictator because that was a direct attack on the press and pure brutality.

But the question is: how many media houses have been harrased? How many are in detention for insulting buhari?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by NGpatriot: 10:48pm On Dec 11, 2019
Simplyleo:

But the question is: how many media houses have been harrased? How many are in detention for insulting buhari?

Not 1.

PMB definitely wont attack, lay siege on the news media and confiscate their publication, that's what brutal dictators like Jona do.
Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by Beremx(f): 10:51pm On Dec 11, 2019
NGpatriot:

Btw, you did not condemn anything when Jona brutalized the news media with the military.

Lol. Are you just seeing my moniker for the first time? If you must care to know, I was once a critic of Jonathan and a die hard supporter of General Buhari. So yes, I did condemn Jonathan for brutally attacking the media

1 Like

Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by mushystuff: 10:56pm On Dec 11, 2019
NGpatriot:
.Just imagine PMB sending the military to attack news media houses and confiscated their publications, you hypocrites and purveyors of hatred wont let us sleep lai lai.

Jona was the ultimate dictator.

Simplyleo:

How many of the wailing goats like fani kayode, fayose, omokriminal and a host of others including the online urchins are held in detention for insulting buhari?

As simple as these questions look, rather than simply providing answers, they will start running from north pole to south pole foolishly saying things completely unrelated.

Wailing is allowed, but foolishly doing it makes you more stupid than a baby goat. angry

Have you forgotten the hit on Daily Trust recently in Maiduguri, Lagos and Abuja? Did you forget the sick ban and fine against AIT that required a court order to keep Buhari and his goons out of their daily operations? Finally, does a wrong move in the past justify even worse now?

3 Likes

Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by NGpatriot: 10:57pm On Dec 11, 2019
Beremx:
Lol. Are you just seeing my moniker for the first time? If you must care to know, I was once a critic of Jonathan and a die hard supporter of General Buhari. So yes, I did condemn Jonathan for brutally attacking the media

It doesn't even matter, the question is, what Jona did was the ultimate evil and dictatorship act ever, but was he label a dictator?

That's the point, it's all silly politics and hypocrisy, not anything rooted in in sane ideology and concern for rule of law.
Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by NGpatriot: 10:58pm On Dec 11, 2019
mushystuff:

Have you forgotten the hit on Premium times recently in Maiduguri, Lagos and Abuja? Did you forget the sick ban and fine against AIT that required a court order to keep Buhari and his goons out of their daily operations? Finally, does a wrong move in the past justify even worse now?

Post credible news sources for your rumor, I don't do social media lies and rumors.
Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by 24kmagic: 11:05pm On Dec 11, 2019
There are over a million problems with Nigeria but the major ones are
1. Religion ;- It must favour the church or mosque
2. Ethnicity:- It must favour my local government or village
3. Lack of patriotism:- It must favour me, regardless whether or not it favours the country.

Just look at the comments..... People will never condemn what is wrong simply because they are benefiting from this government. Those that are lamenting are doing so simply because it's not favouring them. Tell me.... How will this useless country develop?

So because Goodluck did it, that means Buhari too can do it even if it's bad? What sort of bad country is this?

So the next person coming after Buhari can also go ahead and do it even if it's bad?

We really need that revolution Sowore is calling for, or better still, we should be recolonized. There are just so many things wrong with our mentality in this entity.

1 Like

Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by mushystuff: 11:05pm On Dec 11, 2019
NGpatriot:

Post credible news sources for your rumor, I don't do social media lies and rumors.

Daily Trust rather not Premium Times. This was just January this year; somehow you have no knowledge of it but you had the energy and memory to run back to an incident over 6 years ago just to justify the madness we see today.

Why then did y'all preach change? I wonder why some of you zombies think Buhari is infallible and must never be criticized when he daily proves right all the warnings from his nepotism to clanishness all the way to ignorance and outright ineptitude used as a cloak for unquantifiable corruption!

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/304402-just-in-armed-soldiers-raid-nigerian-newspaper-offices-arrest-journalists.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/soldiers-invade-daily-trust-offices-arrest-journalists/amp/

For Daar Communications ie AIT, Raypower, etc:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/just-in-nbc-suspends-ait-raypowers-licences-indefinitely/amp/

1 Like

Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by NGpatriot: 11:17pm On Dec 11, 2019
[s]
mushystuff:

Daily Trust rather not Premium Times. This was just January this year; somehow you have no knowledge of it but you had the energy and memory to run back to an incident over 6 years ago just to justify the madness we see today.

Why then did y'all preach change? I wonder why some of you zombies think Buhari is infallible and must never be criticized when he daily proves right all the warnings from his nepotism to clanishness all the way to ignorance and outright ineptitude used as a cloak for unquantifiable corruption!

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/304402-just-in-armed-soldiers-raid-nigerian-newspaper-offices-arrest-journalists.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/soldiers-invade-daily-trust-offices-arrest-journalists/amp/

For Daar Communications ie AIT, Raypower, etc:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/just-in-nbc-suspends-ait-raypowers-licences-indefinitely/amp/
[/s]

Copy and paste the story like I did, not the bogus links.
Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by mushystuff: 11:17pm On Dec 11, 2019
NGpatriot:

It doesn't even matter, the question is, what Jona did was the ultimate evil and dictatorship act ever, but was he label a dictator?

That's the point, it's all silly politics and hypocrisy, not anything rooted in in sane ideology and concern for rule of law.

Jonathan was labelled a drunk. Does Buhari have such a name now? The drunk label is even a rumor people like you were quick to believe and peddle without facts.

It is on record however, Buhari is a coup plotter that deliberately truncated a democratic administration and suspended the Constitution. His actions and that of his appointees show at he is still at his old tricks! That makes him a tyrant and a dictator! If it looks like a dictator, acts like one and talks like one then it most definitely is a dictator!

1 Like

Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by obidark: 11:18pm On Dec 11, 2019
NGpatriot:

NO, PMB didn't do no such thing and if he did, you hypocrites people will commit suicide.

don min dem....they just hate muslims....thats all....
Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by mushystuff: 11:23pm On Dec 11, 2019
NGpatriot:
[s][/s]

Copy and paste the story like I did, not the bogus links.
NGpatriot:

This is you asking for sources, you got them and now you are apparently too broke to click on them n read. How on earth do you intend to be successful at basic research that takes you beyond sycophancy?
Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by NGpatriot: 11:33pm On Dec 11, 2019
mushystuff:

This is you asking for sources, you got them and now you are apparently too broke to click on them n read. How on earth do you intend to be successful at basic research that takes you beyond sycophancy?

Source = story + Link.

I copped my own story and sported the story with source, do the same thing.

If you so much believe in your point, it shouldn't be hard for you to copy and paste the story.

The fact is, I know your type and the crooked and fraudulent game you play, you can not fool me with your irrelevant and bogus link.

lol @ the joker talking about basic research, he can not even conduct the most elementary research by copying a simple story...
Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by stieyven(m): 11:43pm On Dec 11, 2019
Simplyleo:

He who calls another a fool shall be in danger of hell. Matthew 5 :22
Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by echibuogwu(m): 12:10am On Dec 12, 2019
Shit ur mouth. We all know u are paid to do dis.
NGpatriot:

Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by echibuogwu(m): 12:12am On Dec 12, 2019
How about disobeying court orders? And u are calling Jonathan a dictator, for what no one but u knew about ?? Lol
NGpatriot:

Not 1.

PMB definitely wont attack, lay siege on the news media and confiscate their publication, that's what brutal dictators like Jona do.
Re: When Jonathan Used The Nigerian Military To Attack The News Media. by masseratti: 12:13am On Dec 12, 2019
I remember this period, but that was 2014,this is 2019 alot of people are online, that's why President General Buhari want to seize our phones and internets with social media bill, two wrongs don't make a right, this is beyond politics, the whole nation must stand against a tyrant until he becomes a Democrat, no one has anything personal against him, but something is not right, the is the second time the DSS will desecrate other arms of government, they did it on the National Assembly, the Acting President Sacked him, his second in command took over until Buhari came and appoint the man there now, now its the court, this is not an administration its a regime, lets call a spade a spade, punch really punched them yesterday with its Editorial.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reactions As Lagos State Governor Sanwo Olu Solicits For Funds On Twitter / 'I Know We Have Wronged You, Please Forgive Us' - Senator Florence Ita-giwa Begs / If convicted Abdulrasheed Maina Is From The South East?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.