Stats: 3,143,463 members, 7,781,341 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:42 PM

Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release (38124 Views)

Pictures Of Sambo Dasuki With Family Members After His Release From Detention / Sowore Mobbed By Excited Family Members And Nigerians After His Release / Obasanjo And Wife, Stella After His Release From Yola Prison In 1998 (Throwback) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by Iamgrey5(m): 11:42am On Dec 13, 2019
More American lawmakers continue to raise concern over the continued detention of Omoyele Sowore, a political activist and publisher of Sahara Reporters.

The Nigerian presidency, wary of international criticisms, accused foreign governments of interfering in Nigeria’s affairs by questioning Mr Buhari’s respect for the rule of law.

A presidential spokesperson, Femi Adesina, on Wednesday asked foreign countries to stop interfering in Nigeria’s affairs, especially on the issue of human rights abuses.

He disclosed this while reacting to reports from the EU, UK and the U.S. that they were concerned about Nigeria’s disrespect for the rule of law including in its treatment of Mr Sowore.

However, many foreign lawmakers continue to criticise the Nigerian government over the re-arrest and detention of Mr Sowore on treason charges by the State Security Services (SSS).

He was arrested on August 3 for planning a #RevolutionNow protest against poor governance. He spent over 100 days in detention alongside his co-defendant, Olawale Bakare, despite two court orders mandating their release much earlier.

The duo were released a day before their court hearing last Friday. But the SSS operatives invaded the courtroom to re-arrest the political activist.

The activities of the secret police already sparked nationwide furore and international criticism against Mr Buhari’s government.

On Tuesday, Chris Coons, a U.S. senator spoke out about Mr Sowore’s re-arrest. Mr Coons is the Vice-Chair of the Senate Ethics Committee and a member of the Senate Foreign Relations.

He said in a tweet that he is “concerned that this case is representative of closing of political and media space in Nigeria. Civil society leaders and human rights defenders should be celebrated, not persecuted, in Nigeria and around the world.”

“I’m deeply concerned by the harassment and repeated detainment of Nigerian activist, journalist, and former presidential candidate Omoyele Sowore. I urge Nigerian security services to respect due process and the rule of law, release Sowore per his bail terms, and launch an investigation into his re-arrest.”

Again on Thursday, a senator from New York, Chuck Schumer, asked Mr Buhari to honour previous court rulings. He also expressed dissatisfaction over Mr Sowore’s continued detention.

“I am disheartened by reports that Omoyele Sowore—activist, journalist, American citizen—was re-arrested by Nigeria’s government. President Buhari should heed the previous court rulings, and international sentiment, and immediately free Omoyele Sowore now.”

Before now, PREMIUM TIMES reported how Bob Menendez, a member of the United States Senate’s Foreign Relations Committee and Josh Gotthiemer wrote to the Nigerian ambassador in the U.S., Sylvanus Nsofor, over the continuous detention of the political activist.

In the letter dated November 25 and made available to PREMIUM TIMES, the congressmen said there have been a number of troubling reports about Nigeria’s security agencies assaulting and detaining journalists. Mr Menendez in another video and public statement promised US intervention over the case.

Also, in October, a member of the United States House of Representatives, Karen Bass, said the act of the DSS to Mr Sowore violates a “fragment of his fundamental human right”.

Apart from Mr Sowore, the Nigerian government is also illegally detaining many others including a former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki and the Shiite leader, Ibrahim El Zakzaky.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/368067-more-american-senators-demand-sowores-release.html

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by olaboy33(m): 11:59am On Dec 13, 2019
I understand Buhari is constantly abusing Human Rights of which I'm in no support of.

But what baffles me here is if these US senators have Nigeria as part of their jurisdiction or maybe they don't have relevant issues to America to discuss in their congress.

Enough of playing big brother when they do even worse and cover it up in the name of America.

Nigeria is no kid for Pete's sake, we can handle our affairs. China and Turkey is there for them to raise concern over.

54 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by Iamgrey5(m): 12:04pm On Dec 13, 2019
olaboy33:
I understand Buhari is constantly abusing Human Rights and all of which I'm in no support of.

But what baffles me here is if these US senators have Nigeria as part of their jurisprudence or maybe they don't have relevent issues to America to discuss in their congress.

Enough of these playing of big brother when they do even worse and cover it up in the name of America.
They would continue to supervise Nigeria as long as Nigerians refuse to rule themselves properly

Meanwhile, Buhari also benefited from international organizations and world power intervention when he was still in the opposition

352 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by Racoon(m): 12:24pm On Dec 13, 2019
Maj.Gen.M.Buhari(Rtd) are you still listening or you have gone back to London for ear checkup?

209 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by Eteka1(m): 12:27pm On Dec 13, 2019
The can all go to hell. Nigeria doesn't give a Bleep.

16 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by Kapilta(m): 12:39pm On Dec 13, 2019
Eteka1:
The can all go to hell. Nigeria doesn't give a Bleep.
you will give a f**k when they invade your lands and recolonize you again.

180 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by strangest(m): 3:44pm On Dec 13, 2019
Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by sojayy(m): 3:45pm On Dec 13, 2019
Bubu no go supply Sowore release, Baba no dey hear word.

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by Sholaco: 3:45pm On Dec 13, 2019
They should all come and release him na undecided

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by maynation(f): 3:46pm On Dec 13, 2019
These ones never know Nigeria.

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by Gabson006: 3:46pm On Dec 13, 2019
E go soon set for FGN.

Ah dey perceive ban.
PMB do the needful

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by Macktaob(m): 3:46pm On Dec 13, 2019
Cc
Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by harmbhrosz(m): 3:46pm On Dec 13, 2019
olaboy33:
I understand Buhari is constantly abusing Human Rights of which I'm in no support of.

But what baffles me here is if these US senators have Nigeria as part of their jurisprudence or maybe they don't have relevent issues to America to discuss in their congress.

Enough of these playing of big brother when they do even worse and cover it up in the name of America.

Nigeria is no kid for Pete's sake, we can handle our affairs. China and Turkey is there for them to raise concern over.
So you don't know Sowore is a US citizen which automatically makes them responsible for him?

110 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by babyfaceafrica: 3:47pm On Dec 13, 2019
olaboy33:

we can't handle our affairs!

33 Likes

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by AmazingELixir: 3:48pm On Dec 13, 2019
: grin

And yet again the major general will not be cowed into submission.

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by Nobody: 3:48pm On Dec 13, 2019
Kapilta:
you will give a f**k when they invade your lands and recolonize you again.
We are eagerly waiting

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by jawjaw1: 3:48pm On Dec 13, 2019
olaboy33:

As long as you keep going to them to beg for aid, beg for support on issues and beg for them to sell weapons to you, they will keep interfering in your domestic issues. The question is can Nigeria stop begging them for anything? You and I know the answer is a capital NO.

So please quit complaining and focus on the issue here, which is the human rights abuse and disobedience to court rulings.

84 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by ednut1(m): 3:48pm On Dec 13, 2019
They have trump impeachment to battle . If na usa they may have used cia to silence him. They should pack well
Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by Wiseandtrue(f): 3:48pm On Dec 13, 2019
Them still dey talk

How I wish say them go give am Osama Bin Laden treatment

Nigerians will re-unite again!!!

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by Alaska90(m): 3:48pm On Dec 13, 2019
Iamgrey5:
They would continue to supervise Nigeria as long as Nigerians refuse to rule themselves properly

Meanwhile, Buhari also benefited from international organizations and world power intervention when he was still in the opposition

God bless you for educating him...

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by b0rn2fuck(m): 3:49pm On Dec 13, 2019
I trust my oga at the top won't listen, sowore own don bi, even as him be freedom fighter for the masses but after his election lost, the one wey him do now nah over sabbi...if na obj, he go forget ham inside cell till his tenure end, ask Asari, sowore is part of the president Candidate, too early to carry the act after defeat

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by Putin007: 3:49pm On Dec 13, 2019

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by BafanaBafana: 3:49pm On Dec 13, 2019
Sowore is not a threat in anyway to tge government. He led a protest which failed even before it started.
For the government to be holding on to him makes me suspect there is something they know which others dont

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by hisexcellency34: 3:50pm On Dec 13, 2019
Cant they come and free him?
Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by Equation89(m): 3:50pm On Dec 13, 2019
olaboy33:

That same human right abuse you are not in support of is same human right abuse the American senators are speaking against.

19 Likes

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by globalresource: 3:50pm On Dec 13, 2019
Bubu get ear problem

Re: Sowore: Chris Coons, Chuck Schumer, Karen Bass Demand For His Release by loadedvibes: 3:50pm On Dec 13, 2019
Jungle.. anything goes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Dame Patience Collides with Gov. Dickson, She Resigns In Bayelsa Civil Service / Implications Of The US Ambassador's Visit To Bola Tinubu And Matters Arising / Toyin Saraki Visits Holy Child College, Ikoyi (pics)