Stats: 3,147,810 members, 7,798,730 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:25 AM

HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" (10890 Views)

Anambra: ACTDA Destroys The Nation, Vanguard, Sun Newspapers / Ohaneze Ndigbo Condemns Sealing Of Sun Newspaper Office / Management Of Sun Newspaper Reacts, As EFCC Storms Its Office With Armed Men (2) (3) (4)

HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by Showbby28: 9:50pm On Dec 15, 2019
A frontline Civil Rights Advocacy group, Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria, HURIWA, has described the reported sealing of The Sun Newspaper by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) as unjust and unfair.

The group noted that the newspaper as a business entity was not part of the parties to the suit in which the former Abia State Governor, Orji Uzor Kalu, was convicted by the Federal High Court over fraud of N7 billion.

HURIWA’s statement was signed by Emmanuel Onwubiko and made available to DAILY POST on Sunday.

The group has also asked the acting chairman of tge EFCC, Ibrahim Magu to show professionalism and stop the political media showmanship of jubilating all over the place over the conviction of Kalu as if to say there is a hidden agenda that the conviction has helped to achieve for some political interest in the corridors of power.

HURIWA said the only time committed patriots will applaud the EFCC is when some of those who are Ministers today despite their accusations by the anti-graft agency as having committed series of corruption related offences are arrested, prosecuted and convicted.

The rights group also condemned the withdrawal of the charges against Senator Danjuma Goje.

HURIWA also stated that the trial and conviction of Kalu is insufficient to acclaim that the EFCC and President Muhammadu Buhari led administration was carrying out forensic anti- Corruption warfare.

It said that the APC Senator is a political victim of anti-Igbo vigilante justice and the selective justice being practiced actively by the current Federal government.

HURIWA also expressed shock and consternation that the President of the Court of Appeal Justice, Zainab Bulkachuwa, has dabbled into the political fray of jubilating over the conviction of Kalu even when she is aware that as a citizen of Nigeria covered under the Nigerian Constitution the lawmaker has a right of Appeal up to the Supreme Court.

The rights group said as one of those who believed in the sanctity of the Constitution and as a civil rights advocacy group that works for equality of rights, social justice, equity and fairness, it supports the qualitative, non-biased and fair prosecution of all allegedly corrupt politically exposed persons so the stolen public fund are refunded to those specific states from where the heist happened whilst the convicts were in political office.

[b]HURIWA, however, expressed reservation that the conviction of Kalu may have some political connotation and may not be too far from the politics of the 2023 elections in which supporters of Buhari in the North are vigorously campaigning for the office of the President to still remain in the North which Kalu is known to have opposed vigorously insisting that he doesn’t support third term agenda.

“Orji Uzor Kalu has also alleged victimization because he opposed the retaining of the Presidency in the North in 2023 and it would seem there is an ongoing jubilation amongst key Northern politicians which has unfortunately reached the EFCC and the Court of Appeal with the Acting chairman of EFCC and President of the Court of Appeal making heavy media shows of this specific conviction of erstwhile governor of Abia state against clear provisions of the ethics of the offices which impose on them the obligation to maintain and manifest the highest sense and attribute of non-biased and non-partisan leadership,” the statement added.[/b]

HURIWA expressed shock that the EFCC could embark on this illegal marking of The Sun Newspaper assets in Lagos when there is a pending appeal before the Supreme court of Nigeria in a separate suit unrelated to the suit in which the former Abia State governor was convicted and for which he has challenged his conviction and that of his other firm known as Slok Nigeria limited.

HURIWA, therefore, asked the EFCC to respect the constitution and await the decision of the Supreme court of Nigeria on the suit between EFCC and sun newspapers.

In a related development, HURIWA carpeted the President of the Court of Appeal Zainab Bulkachuwa for taking a position on the trial of Kalu.

HURIWA quoted Justice Bulkachuwa as saying: ‘I was part of the making of the ACJA. I have witnessed its implementation. I was interested in what will come out of it.

‘I had the chance to fully participate when applications were made by the EFCC (Economic and Financial Crimes Commission), Federal Ministry of Justice and other prosecuting bodies, that our Justices, who were elevated to the Court of Appeal, be given fiats to go back to the various High Courts and conclude the case they have started.

‘First, we had to determine at what stage they could go in. After looking at the ACJA, we saw that once all the prosecution’s witnesses have testified, there will be no need to start the matter de novo (start afresh) again. We felt it was more in the interest of justice to have the matter completed…The most recent is that of Justice (Mohammed) Idris when he completed the case of former Governor Orji Uzor Kalu.’

HURIWA also asked the Federal Government to explain to Nigerians why the same government that concluded the trial of Kalu is the same administration under which Senator Danjuma Goje a former governor of Gombe State was reportedly pardoned of the then pending charges of multibillion alleged fraud by the EFCC.

HURIWA stated that also the former governors of Akwa Ibom and Bayelsa states had their charges by EFCC overlooked just so they can be appointed as ministers in the current cabinet of President Buhari.
https://dailypost.ng/2019/12/15/orji-kalu-buhari-magu-justice-bulkachuwa-under-fire-over-lawmakers-conviction-sealing-of-the-sun-by-efcc/

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by reccy(m): 9:55pm On Dec 15, 2019
What can these ones do than to be condemning up and down.... Go and read the court ruling before running your mouth......spits....

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by Danzakidakura(m): 9:58pm On Dec 15, 2019
Buhari is creating enemies to the northern Muslims because any government that comes to power now from any part of Nigeria NC,SE,SW or SS will always attack north and close it ear against their cry.Buhari has shown us another form of government winners take all.

40 Likes 7 Shares

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by healthserve(m): 9:58pm On Dec 15, 2019
reccy:
What can these ones do than to be condemning up and down.... Go and read the court ruling before running your mouth......spits....

Stop deceiving yourself. You hear. Show us few of the companies setup by the older politicians that weren't from the proceeds of one diversion of the other. Selective justice akins to witch hunt

21 Likes

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by healthserve(m): 10:00pm On Dec 15, 2019
Danzakidakura:
Buhari is creating enemies to the northern Muslims because any government that comes to power now from any part of Nigeria NC,SE,SW or SS will always attack north and close it ear against their cry.Buhari has shown us another form of government winners take all.

This is what he doesn't understand. I feel sorry for the North already the day it relinquishes power to the south. We now have lawlessness as precedent in the nascent democracy. And tust me. Anyday this democracy ends or this nation in its current running form, it would be traced back to BUHARI

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by voltron14: 10:01pm On Dec 15, 2019
They are mad.

Whilst appeal is your right, you are considered a convict by all and sundry.

Bulkachuwa has the right to consider OUK as the convict he is.

Abi no be jail he dey now?

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by reccy(m): 10:03pm On Dec 15, 2019
healthserve:

Stop deceiving yourself. You hear. Show us few of the companies setup by the older politicians that weren't from the proceeds of one diversion of the other. Selective justice akins to witch hunt

So you mean because of that, the govt should not probe the thieves.... Is that not your logic? Pathetic....

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by healthserve(m): 10:04pm On Dec 15, 2019
reccy:

So you mean because of that, the govt should not probe the thieves.... Is that not your logic? Pathetic....

No be Nigeria fault. Me and you no supposes hare nationality na. Can you debate my little tutor's. I don't waste energy on delinquents. Now get lost.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by reccy(m): 10:09pm On Dec 15, 2019
healthserve:

No be Nigeria fault. Me and you no supposes hare nationality na. Can you debate my little tutor's. I don't waste energy on delinquents. Now get lost.

Work on your grammatical construction then we will start from there.

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by inyarinyaZibya: 10:26pm On Dec 15, 2019
voltron14:
They are mad.

Whilst appeal is your right, you are considered a convict by all and sundry.

Bulkachuwa has the right to consider OUK as the convict he is.

Abi no be jail he dey now?

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by Bluntguy: 10:26pm On Dec 15, 2019
With the celebration of Bulkachuwa, I don't think OUK will get justice at the appeal court, even up to the Supreme Court where that Sharia judge is doing the bidding of his master's. Lock up as many OUKs as possible, 2023 here we come.

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by israelmao(m): 5:47am On Dec 16, 2019
This government seeks every slightest opportunity to vilify and victimize their critics.The Sun happens to be one of the strongest critics of this government and again last week the senate directed the FG to declare state of emergency on unemployment while the FG is busy creating more unemployment by sealing up Sun Newspaper.One wrong step that most Nigerians took in 2015 has put Nigeria in the ditch today.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by tiger28: 5:47am On Dec 16, 2019
SOMEBODY has started PAYING all these stupid groups to make noise. If you don't under HOW Nigeria works then you are a fool! Groups have started getting Kalu's account alerts.

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by Goldencheese(m): 5:49am On Dec 16, 2019
Government should follow due process and respect the rule of law while prosecuting its anti-corruption cases.

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by money121(m): 5:53am On Dec 16, 2019
Noted
Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by CasNova: 5:58am On Dec 16, 2019
Those are my thoughts too.
Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by Edu3Again: 6:01am On Dec 16, 2019
Buhari has declared war on the rest of Nigeria.

Closing the Border to goods in the South while opening the Border to Foreign Fulanis from all over Africa.
Meanwhile the Border is open in the North,so u can see the Border closures is targeted against the south.

In the House of Reps it has been revealed that the Borders in the North are Open!

Why are the Borders in the North Open at Night while the Borders in the South shut?
Thats the best way to subjugate the south for fulani control.

https://twitter.com/olushola_shola/status/1194973367549464577

While Buhari has declared war on all Nigerians who are not Fulani,
Buhari plans to exterminate as many Igbo biz men as soon as possible.

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by hotwax: 6:01am On Dec 16, 2019
Orji deserved what he got. I love it. He worked against his people.
Tinubu is next...

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by orisa37: 6:03am On Dec 16, 2019
Don't create massive Unemployment for the innocent workers. They are Nigerians contributing productively to NIGERIA'S Economy, unlike you who are just rendering Service.
Change the Leadership. Treat SUN like Government Company and workers will report to Government through The Ministry of Information (Lai Mohammed).

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by Samnavy: 6:04am On Dec 16, 2019
Noted
Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by emeijeh(m): 6:20am On Dec 16, 2019
Does that caveat written up there even make sense?

EFCC KEEP OFF.

That means EFCC should stay away .

English la hard

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by Southsoul: 6:21am On Dec 16, 2019
Nigeria will be better again even if Cowhari and cabals want let them invites Lucifer into AsoRock
Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by Southsoul: 6:25am On Dec 16, 2019
healthserve:

This is what he doesn't understand. I feel sorry for the North already the day it relinquishes power to the south. We now have lawlessness as precedent in the nascent democracy. And tust me. Anyday this democracy ends or this nation in its current running form, it would be traced back to BUHARI
I pity the poor northerners because they won't survive this Buhari kind of politics when south play return match by then the north will cry for restructuring or Arewa or sharia Republic nobody will listen to them

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by Daboomb: 6:26am On Dec 16, 2019
healthserve:

Let this be a lesson to ALL Southerners and Middle Belters, especially yhe Igbos (no disrespect), that 'In Unity we Stand, Divided, we fall".

Igbos that have been saying they would rather support the Northerner for a third term, than support a Southerner in the SW, should have a re-think.
Trust me, the North would consider their Cow first as President, before even thinking about any Igbo person!

The best, surest and certain route for any Igbo Presidency, lies in an alliance with Yorubas.
You can be certain the Yorubas will keep their end of the bargain, as they have demonstrated severally, including with this Buhari administration.
You can also be certain that the North will never keep any agreement, more so, not with an Igbo, for the Presidential seat.
if they cant keep it with Yorubas, think of what will happen with an Igbo!

Let the past be in the past, purge yourselves of anger and hatred of Yorubas, work with them (I hear Sowore has already reached out to Nnamdi Kanu, to see how both nations can work together for their mutual benefit) and break the yoke of these Northerners.
They claim all they have to do is throw you some bones and you will come running and begging them! Stop selling yourselves cheap, you deserve better but you cant do it alone or by running towards your mortal enemy.
Prove them wrong for the sake of your dignity and your future. regionalism can lead to Biafra but if Regionalism is properly addressed, Biafra actualisation may even become unnecessary afterall, the abuse and failure of REGIONALISM was a catalyst for the agitation for Biafra

You have seen what is happening, the same people you think will support Igbo Presidency are already dismantling any igbo possibility!
Today, Buhari is registering all the alien Fulanis he imported from Guinea, Sudan, Mali, Senegal, etc, as Nigerians so that he can have a majority of population, using the enforcement of National identity card on them.

Yorubas should also be magnanimous and tolerant of Igbos. The Northerners, as epitomised by Buhari, cannot be trusted when it comes to Power.
Let those that have ears, use it ot hear, what the spirit is saying.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by udeadams(m): 6:30am On Dec 16, 2019
This Buhari's government is only targeting the Ibos and their investment.

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by Stalwert: 6:32am On Dec 16, 2019
Human rights for looters, HURIWA has become a tribal cloack for corrupt politicians to assemble under.
Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by Truthbites: 6:35am On Dec 16, 2019
Selective justice. I'm only waiting patiently for Tinubu's karma. Can't forgive him.

My shame in all of these is that my kid sister knew Buhari had nothing to offer and wept for weeks when he entered...me I was jubilating...till today she says how come u didn't know this dude has nothing to to offer as smart as u are....

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by Tundetune(m): 6:44am On Dec 16, 2019

Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by Nobody: 6:53am On Dec 16, 2019
Daboomb:

Let this be a lesson to ALL Southerners and Middle Belters, especially yhe Igbos (no disrespect), that 'In Unity we Stand, Divided, we fall".

Igbos that have been saying they would rather support the Northerner for a third term, than support a Southerner in the SW, should have a re-think.
Trust me, the North would consider their Cow first as President, before even thinking about any Igbo person!

The best, surest and certain route for any Igbo Presidency, lies in an alliance with Yorubas.
You can be certain the Yorubas will keep their end of the bargain, as they have demonstrated severally, including with this Buhari administration.
You can also be certain that the North will never keep any agreement, more so, not with an Igbo, for the Presidential seat.
if they cant keep it with Yorubas, think of what will happen with an Igbo!

Let the past be in the past, purge yourselves of anger and hatred of Yorubas, work with them (I hear Sowore has already reached out to Nnamdi Kanu, to see how both nations can work together for their mutual benefit) and break the yoke of these Northerners.
They claim all they have to do is throw you some bones and you will come running and begging them! Stop selling yourselves cheap, you deserve better but you cant do it alone or by running towards your mortal enemy.
Prove them wrong for the sake of your dignity and your future. regionalism can lead to Biafra but if Regionalism is properly addressed, Biafra actualisation may even become unnecessary afterall, the abuse and failure of REGIONALISM was a catalyst for the agitation for Biafra

You have seen what is happening, the same people you think will support Igbo Presidency are already dismantling any igbo possibility!
Today, Buhari is registering all the alien Fulanis he imported from Guinea, Sudan, Mali, Senegal, etc, as Nigerians so that he can have a majority of population, using the enforcement of National identity card on them.

Yorubas should also be magnanimous and tolerant of Igbos. The Northerners, as epitomised by Buhari, cannot be trusted when it comes to Power.
Let those that have ears, use it ot hear, what the spirit is saying.

iF all These are true! Naija is out!
Re: HURIWA Describes EFCC's Sealing Of Sun Newspapers As "Unjust And Unfair" by mimilogs: 7:04am On Dec 16, 2019
Hmmmmm

Jalingo APC Chairman, Bashir Bakari Suspended For Allegedly Working For PDP / Boko Haram: Five Feared Killed, Houses Burnt In Fresh Adamawa Attack / President Buhari Presides Over Security Meeting

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63