Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,786 members, 7,806,179 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:33 PM

Do You Know What Palindromes Are? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do You Know What Palindromes Are? (298 Views)

I’m A Computer Science Student, I Don’t Know What To Do / Please Help A Brother ,don't Know What's Wrong With Me / Palindromes: Let's Catch Some Fun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do You Know What Palindromes Are? by Vistakademia(m): 7:25pm On Dec 16, 2019
There are certainly many things we need to know and I am sure you must have heard the word “Palindrome.” What sense did you make of it? Do you know what it means? Do you know the different types that exist? Well, I have carefully put together this post to enlighten you on this concept.

What is a Palindrome?
A palindrome is a word, a phrase, a verse, a number or a sentence, the letters of which, when taken in reverse order, give the same word, phrase, verse, number or sentence. In other words, a palindrome is a text that reads or spells the same forward and backward.

Read these words normally and then in reverse order:
BIB, BOB, CIVIC, DAD, DEED, DEIFIED

Check out these names:
ANNA, ELLE, EVE, HABIBAH, HANNAH, LAWAL, NATAN, NOSSON, OTTO, RENNER, YANAY

Check out these towns and cities that are palindromic:
• Aba, Nigeria
• Abiriba, Nigeria
• Ada, Ohio, United States
• Acaiaca, Brazil
• Akasaka, Japan (Tokyo)
• Akka, Morocco
• Amassama, Nigeria
• Amissima, São Paulo
• Apapa, Nigeria

Read these sentences both forward and backward and see if they yielded the same thing:
• A Toyota’s a Toyota.
• Are we not drawn onward to new era?
• Cigar? Toss it in a can. It is so tragic.
• Desserts, I stressed
• Did I draw Della too tall, Edward? I did?
• No lemon, no melon.

Do you know what is called “Semordnilap”? It is a reverse form of “Palindromes”

Read these sentences which yield the same meaning when you read them both forward and backward…
• First Ladies rule the State and state the rule: ladies first.
• Fall leaves as soon as leaves fall.
• You can cage a swallow, can’t you, but you can’t swallow a cage, can you.
• So patient a nurse to nurse a patient so.

Can you generate a word or phrase or a sentence that is palindromic? I mean in English! You can drop it in the comments box and we can add to the collections.

What you will learn in this post:

• Palindromes vs Palingrams
• Etymology of Palindrome
• Palindrome Types and Examples
• Numeric Palindromes
• One-Word Palindrome
• The Longest Palindromic Word in English
• Name Palindromes
• Place Palindromes
• Palindrome Phrases List
• Sentence Palindromes
• Magic Square
• Chiasmus/Reverse Parallelism
• Semordnilap

Check out PALINDROMES and share with your friends:
https://akademia.com.ng/what-is-palindrome-meaning-types-examples/

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Scholarships Currently Available In The UK – Apply Now / Did Any African Country Regret Being Free From Their Colonial Masters? / What Is The Latest In Education?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.