|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,595,979 members, 6,022,840 topics. Date: Sunday, 29 November 2020 at 09:13 PM
|Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by NORSIYK(m): 12:34am On Dec 17, 2019|
5 most popular Nigerian state governors of 2019.
There are governors and there are governors. In Nigeria, while some governors are literally invisible, others are at the forefront getting media attention due to their performances, controversies or aggressive publicity. Every year, some governors stand out from their colleagues, majorly due to one of the three reasons stated above. In the year 2019, some governors stood out. Three of them assumed office this year, while the others have been in the corridors of power from the beginning of the year. Legit.ng in this piece lists the 5 most popular Nigerian state governors in 2019. They are:
1. Emeka Ihedioha - Imo A former deputy speaker of the House of Representatives, Ihedioha resumed as the governor of Imo state on May 29 after campaigning with the mantra - Rebuild Imo. So far, it seems the former federal lawmaker is indeed rebuilding the south-east state, which suffered misrule in the last eight years. Although he was distracted in the first few weeks in office after trying so hard to discredit his predecessor, Owelle Rochas Okorocha, Ihedioha finally settled to the business of governance and started charting a new course for Imo. He, however, became really popular in the year under review after his government took it upon themselves to expose the rot they met on ground. Ihedioha got a lot of media attention, appearing in several media outlets letting the whole world know the task before him is humongous because of the activities of the last administration. Two things, however, stood out for Ihedioha. First was his decision to clear the backlog of pensions owed pensioners in the state for eight years and two, the massive recruitment of secondary school teachers in the state. Governor Ihedioha has handled the dire situation he met on ground in Imo state well.
2. Seyi Makinde - Oyo The 51-year old engineer turned politician is in a league of his own. Makinde has shown that governance is not rocket science provided those at the helm of affairs approach the issues of governance with sincerity and integrity. Makinde started out by declaring his assets, a feat yet to be rivalled in the present political dispensation. The new governor also resumed payment of bursary, banned the notorious NURTW, began the expansion of a major road in the state and appointed a 25-year-old youth as a commissioner. Makinde is extremely popular and this is due to his outstanding performance in less than a year in office.
3. Bello Matawalle - Zamfara The 50-year old politician is one of the shining lights of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party. He assumed office at a time his state was under siege by bandits. But, rather than sulk and abandon the state like his predecessor, Matawalle took the bull by the horn and the tackled the challenge head-on. Today, Zamfara is free from the bandits after Governor Matawalle kick-started an amnesty programme to get the bandits to drop their weapons and embraced peace. Recently, Matawalle halted the payment of pension for his predecessor, Abdulaziz and his deputy. The move by the incumbent Zamfara governor drew commendations from Nigerians, who have in the past criticised the policy by former state governors to be paid pension. The people of Zamfara state are lucky to have a purposeful leader like Dr Matawalle.
4. Godwin Obaseki - Edo Obaseki might be on the list but it is not certain if it is for the right reasons. The governor has spent the greater part of the year fighting his predecessor, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, rather than focusing on governance. Fighting Oshiomhole itself, is really not a bad thing, especially as Obaseki is trying to break the chain of godfatherism he has been subjected to by the All Progressives Congress national chairman. Having fought to stand still the godfathers of Edo state when he came to power, it is ironic that Oshiomhole is now angling to be the godfather of the state. But, as much as it is important for Oshiomhole to be politically tamed for his excesses, Governor Obaseki must not lose sight of the fact that governance should be his priority and not an unnecessary power play. Obaseki has been largely popular in the year under review due to his political fights, but efforts should be made to be in the news for good governance in 2020.
5. Nasir El-Rufai - Kaduna A rare breed. Fine administrator, thorough professional and a pan-Nigerian leader, El-Rufai has been in the news for the right reasons for the greater part of 2019. That is not to say he did not goof during the year under review. While some of his comments have been excessive especially during the political period, some of his publicity stunts like running into a bush with security operatives in hot chase of bandits are really childish. That said, El-Rufai should be proud of himself as his popularity keep soaring as the year rolls to a close. A former minister of the Federal Capital Territory, El-rufai has given female politicians in Kaduna state a voice. Even more impressive is his youthful cabinet and pan-Nigerian team. Former President Olusegun Obasanjo described El-rufai succinctly recently by describing him as “one of the best persons to work with.” He continued: “He is a near-genius. We need a character like this, a man that you know where you stand with him. Any job given to him will be well done.’’ Truth is, even if El-rufai was not a governor, he would even be more popular than many of his colleagues in office presently.
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by voltron14: 12:39am On Dec 17, 2019|
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by jlinkd78(m): 2:49am On Dec 17, 2019|
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by Angelcoco: 3:05am On Dec 17, 2019|
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by netpro(m): 3:12am On Dec 17, 2019|
Ihedioha is popular for doing what exactly?
He is certainly the least on that list.
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by contigiency(m): 5:02am On Dec 17, 2019|
I don't know the parameter the person that did the survey used. But I think if you do a popularity contest in the six geopolitical zones of the country today, you will most probably have as below:
South East - Dave Umahi of Ebonyi.
South South - Wike of Rivers or Obaseki of Edo
South West - Sanwo Olu of Lagos or Fayemi of Ekiti
North Central - Abdulrazaq of kwara
North East - prof Barbagana Zulum of Borno.
North west - El-rufai of Kaduna, Ganduje of Kano or Matawalle of Zamfara.
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by dukeprince50: 5:13am On Dec 17, 2019|
Wike, el-rufai, Ganduje, Sanwo olu are most popular governors.
There is no week that you won't see any of these guys in news
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by NORSIYK(m): 7:57am On Dec 17, 2019|
Hate has blinded you, take a trip to Imo State and see the good works he's doing
Imo state pensioners last received their pensions in 2013,but today they are receiving their monthly pensions.
Imo state civil servants last received full salaries in May 2014, today they are receiving full salaries.
Imo state water board last functioned in 2010, but after 9 years of neglect, today is working.
All the major roads in Imo State are receiving attention with a reputable construction companies. Over 50 major roads in Imo State are being constructed, Rehabilitated and maintenance work are ongoing.
Imo state was rated as the least corrupt state in 2019.
Imo state economy is projected as the fastest growing economy in Nigeria under the able leadership of Gov. Emeka Ihedioha.
Azman Airline and Max Airline have commenced operations under Gov. Ihedioha regime.
Security has greatly improved since Gov. Ihedioha took over.
The streets of Owerri are more cleaner due to Gov. Ihedioha's policy on go green stay clean.
Imo state IGR has increased from meager 200 million under Okorocha to 700 million due to TSA he adopted.
Imo State beat 35 other States of the Federation to emerge as the best overall performing State in ICT development and also third best state in E-Government Implementation in Nigeria.
Imo state was presented with Awards at the 7th Regular Meeting of the National Council on Communications and Digital Economy (NCCDE 2019) organized by the Federal Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy.
The list of Gov. Ihedioha achievements under 7 months are numerous.
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by NORSIYK(m): 1:35pm On Dec 17, 2019|
You are talking about media propaganda popularity, Ihedioha isn't into media propaganda.
His achievements have always spoken for him right from his days as a member of the house of representative. He's the only federal lawmaker in Imo State that delivered projects across the three Senatorial zones of the state till date.
Today he's rebuilding the battered and dilapidated infrastructures in Imo State
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by contigiency(m): 3:22pm On Dec 17, 2019|
You are calling others media propaganda, at the same time showing us media news about your governor Ihedioha's performance, and media awards he received. Habaa! Na for one mouth you talk am.
You went on a high heel saying that he as a federal lawmaker delivered projects in all the three senatorial district of the state, how is it possible? That's the height of the propaganda you criticised. My brother, a lawmaker cannot have a constituency project outside the district he is representing. That's why it's called constituency project attached to the respective lawmakers. Unless you are telling us that he represented all the constituencies in turns, which is not possible.
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by Preshy561(f): 3:25pm On Dec 17, 2019|
NORSIYK:Heard the man is constructing many roads right now.
I'm so proud of my state!!!
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by agwom(m): 3:34pm On Dec 17, 2019|
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by Ttipsy(m): 4:13pm On Dec 17, 2019|
Oga it's Ikpeazu,, Aba people can testify.. ..
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by NORSIYK(m): 4:17pm On Dec 17, 2019|
Probably sounded so strange to you, don't forget that he was Deputy Speaker and he used his good office to attract NDDC projects across the three Senatorial districts of the state
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by Mightyhaiz: 4:40pm On Dec 17, 2019|
Imolites are solidly behind him.. Okoroiberibe nearly finished imo
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by jakandeola(m): 9:56am On Dec 20, 2019|
Preshy561:IBO beauty I miss u a lot
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by maestroferdi: 10:22am On Dec 20, 2019|
I called a friend in Owerri...
He confirmed that Ihedioha is doing great.
May he keep his eyes on the ball and not get distracted...
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by maestroferdi: 10:29am On Dec 20, 2019|
Swag no go kee this governor of Oyo State...
This Makinde guy looks so likeable...
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by Solohmony: 11:07am On Dec 20, 2019|
This list is not complete, Osun state (oyetola) is more popular than them all.
Osun has been transformed.
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by Magicians: 11:08am On Dec 20, 2019|
Your delusion is unbelievable
|Re: Governor Ihedioha Tops List Of Most Popular Governors In Nigeria by NORSIYK(m): 11:32am On Dec 20, 2019|
Lol son of iberiberism, I was expecting you to dispute the above mentioned achievements
Imo Govt House Gate Locked As Supreme Court Sacks Ihedioha / Chairwoman In Enugu State Give Out Head Pans, Shovels,trowels As Empowerment / Reno Omokri To Give 5K To Muslims To Break Fast- Imam Of Peace To Pick Winner
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141