Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,388 members, 7,808,374 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:06 AM

No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi (2494 Views)

Help! My Wife Is Suddenly Too Violent / Cheating Man Remains With A Violent, Cheating Wife Who Has Another Man's Child / Man Catches His Wife In A Hotel With Man, Says "I Have The Right To Kill You" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by crackhaus: 3:32pm On Dec 18, 2019
DeeMain:

See the problem, when you respond to provocation with violence, there is no human thinking involved. It's purely letting the animal instinct within us shine. No marks there. A murder charge, life sentence or a lighter sentence. Or a broken home where trust is shattered.
Is there human thinking involved in a woman being verbally abusive to her own husband?

Humans can think of purpose, of consequences, can begin with the end in mind and allow it guide their responses. We can pause and educate our animal side before we respond.
Lol, I like your comments because you're strutting on both sides and making a good case for each.

So going by the bold text, for a 'human' who is verbally abusive, has that person thought of the purpose, of consequences?
Let me rephrase: When a person is being verbally abusive, what exactly is the end goal and how has that end goal guided their behavior?

If I beat up my wife for verbally abusing me, I've given up leadership on how to behave right in my home. I haven't thought about the effect on the home, the fear and tension it can unleash in the home or the examples I want to set for my kids. There is no vision. This home is visionless.

Where there is no vision, the family perish, children suffer, love becomes comatose. That is the recipe for a dysfunctional home, sir.
Let me guess, it's ONLY your job to behave right in your home and set a good example for your kids, not your wife's job.

So what example is your wife setting when she's raising her voice at you, shouting and verbally abusing you in front of these same kids?
Do you honestly believe that if you slapped her right there, your kids did not see & understand what led to it?

If your wife knew better she would behave better. So you can teach her through example. Example is better than precept.

Emotions can be educated. Emotions can become intelligent.

This is exact message I am passing to you.
A woman who knows better will not be verbally abusive in the first place because her emotional reaction to displeasure should be intelligent and well educated enough to understand there is really no positive outcome that can come from it - it's either her husband will completely ignore her and she ends up making a shouting idiót of herself, OR she will be bítch slapped in return so her shouting can turn to crying.

Like I said, no positive outcome can come from being verbally abusive, so why would it be okay. If the idea is to maintain peace, to behave right in the home, and set a good example for your kids, then there wouldn't be verbal/emotional abuse as well as physical abuse.

No self-aware person tries to mitigate problems by dealing with outcomes, problems are mitigated by dealing with causes.

3 Likes

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by crackhaus: 3:41pm On Dec 18, 2019
DeeMain:

Exchanging physical violence for verbal abuse? I see two mad people. How many mad people do you see?
This guy sef cheesy

So you already know that the provocateur (using verbal abuse) and the agitated (responding with physical abuse) are both mad people in equal degree, but for some reason, only the latter must take responsibility for their madness.

3 Likes

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by DeeMain(m): 3:42pm On Dec 18, 2019
crackhaus:

Is there human thinking involved in being verbally abusive to your own wife/husband?

Lol, I like your comments because you're strutting on both sides and making a good case for each.

So going by the bold text, for a 'human' who is verbally abusive, has that person thought of the purpose, of consequences?
Let me rephrase: When a person is being verbally abusive, what exactly is the end goal and how has that end goal guided their behavior?

Let me guess, it's ONLY your job to behave right in your home and set a good example for your kids, not your wife's job.

So what example is your wife setting when she's raising her voice at you, shouting and verbally abusing you in front of these same kids?
Do you honestly believe that if you slapped her right there, your kids did not see & understand what led to it?

This is exact message I am passing to you.
A woman who knows better will not be verbally abusive in the first place because her emotional reaction to displeasure should be intelligent and well educated enough to understand there is really no positive outcome that can come from it - it's either her husband will completely ignore her and she ends up making a shouting idiót of herself, OR she will be bítch slapped in return so her shouting can turn to crying.

Like I said, no positive outcome can come from being verbally abusive, so why would it be okay. If the idea is to maintain peace, to behave right in the home, and set a good example for your kids, then there wouldn't be verbal/emotional abuse as well as physical abuse.

No self-aware person tries to mitigate problems by dealing with outcomes, problems are mitigated by dealing with causes.

Whoever said verbal abuse is okay? I already said it can kill here!!!

Responding to verbal abuse with physical violence is equally evil.

There are two mad people involved in both.

There is a better way.

That's the summary of all I wrote prior.

1 Like

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by DeeMain(m): 3:45pm On Dec 18, 2019
crackhaus:

This guy sef cheesy

So you already know that the provocateur (using verbal abuse) and the agitated (responding with physical abuse) are both mad people in equal degree, but for some reason, only the latter must take responsibility for their madness.

I was talking about providing leadership with an educated emotion.

Read all my posts prior on this thread.

1 Like

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by crackhaus: 3:45pm On Dec 18, 2019
DeeMain:

Whoever said verbal abuse is okay? I already said it can kill here!!!

Responding to verbal abuse with physical violence is equally evil.

There are two mad people involved in both.

There is a better way.

That's the summary of all I wrote prior.
Which is a better way in your opinion to remove the madness completely?

To eliminate the verbal abuse (cause), or to eliminate the physical abuse (outcome)?

2 Likes

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by DeeMain(m): 3:53pm On Dec 18, 2019
crackhaus:

Which is a better way in your opinion to remove the madness completely?

To eliminate the verbal abuse (cause), or to eliminate the physical abuse (outcome)?

You can't change anyone, you can only change yourself. People change when they are ready to change.

So I can only speak for the person who wants to change and has taken the responsibility to change.

Variety will absorb variety. If you have may options and ways and strategies to mitigate a difficult problem/challenge you are in control and will eventually influence the outcome but if you have only one way (violence), the problem will eat you for breakfast.

1 Like

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by crackhaus: 3:54pm On Dec 18, 2019
DeeMain:

I was talking about providing leadership with an educated emotion.

Read all my posts prior on this thread.
An educated emotion is trained to de-escalate by not provoking, NOT fanning the embers of tension on the probability that the other person is more educated emotionally to ignore.

This is why provocation is recognized by law as a suitable defense, even in cases as serious murder.

2 Likes

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by DeeMain(m): 3:56pm On Dec 18, 2019
crackhaus:

An educated emotion is trained to de-escalate by not provoking, NOT fanning the embers of tension on the probability that the other person is more educated emotionally to ignore.

This is why provocation is recognized by law as a suitable defense, even in cases as serious murder.

crackhaus

This debate is going round in circles.

If A fails to provide leadership B should. No need for 2 mad people. It's a recipe for chaos and dysfunction.

1 Like

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by Nobody: 3:56pm On Dec 18, 2019
Hmmm

Y’all are just deflecting from the OP
Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by crackhaus: 4:25pm On Dec 18, 2019
Plead:
Hmmm

Y’all are just deflecting from the OP
The OP itself is simplistic at best, not well thought out. The author sought to appease both sides of the line, but left out a critical aspect, which I attempted getting out of that dvmb character who has been talking to herself all over the thread.

Maybe you can do justice to it, so you can understand why being against provocation is always the most appropriate measure.

Here's the conundrum:
If physical abuse (violence) is a satisfying response for only physical abuse (violence) and we have grouped slapping under physical abuse, is it therefore okay that after a woman slaps her husband, then he is definitely within his boundaries to respond not just with a slap but also with blows/punches, the use of a belt/stick, or in extreme cases, even a knife that will lead to very serious injury?

DeeMain, you are also invited to apply your 'change the outcome' maturity tactic to the above question...if you don't mind.

2 Likes

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by crackhaus: 4:28pm On Dec 18, 2019
DeeMain:

crackhaus

If A fails to provide leadership B should. No need for 2 mad people. It's a recipe for chaos and dysfunction.
One mad person is already enough recipe for chaos and dysfunction.

Looking at the bigger picture; whatever damage you think the second mad person will do, the first has already done it.

2 Likes

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by Fountainofyouth(f): 4:33pm On Dec 18, 2019
Prettiedame:
Save the energy for people ready to indulge you. Some people live on Nairaland arguments and insults. Know them and ignore them

That is how to handle a verbally abusive spouse, which someone here seems to be

I love you already kiss

2 Likes

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by Fountainofyouth(f): 4:36pm On Dec 18, 2019
DeeMain:

crackhaus

kiss

1 Like

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by Nobody: 4:55pm On Dec 18, 2019
bukatyne:

How about we teach people not to be verbally violent in the first place?

Anyways, I teach people not to run their mouth because the intent is also violence.

bukatyne:
Funny thread.

Like men also do not get labels.

If been called bitchy for instance gets to you, review your behaviour and change.

If you don't care, dust it off and move on.

I wonder why you want to legislate people's opinions of you.

https://www.nairaland.com/5568013/5-labels-need-stop-giving#84680385

3 Likes

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by Nobody: 4:59pm On Dec 18, 2019
24kmagic:
God help me never to find my self in that kinda situation, cos I'm scared of what I will do.

If my partner slaps me first, I think I will kill her.

I will so beat her to the point that she'll lose consciousness.

But I pray never to be in that kind of awkward position

You need help.

1 Like

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by Fountainofyouth(f): 5:01pm On Dec 18, 2019
Mindfulness:

Thank you for this, I wanted bringing it up, seems she has forgotten her comment, goes to show that people don't practice what they preach.

Cc Crackhaus angry

2 Likes

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by crackhaus: 5:22pm On Dec 18, 2019
Fountainofyouth:

Thank you for this, I wanted bringing it up, seems she has forgotten her comment, goes to show that people don't practice what they preach.

Cc Crackhaus angry
You know what, I will attempt to engage you just for today so you can at least disprove my theory about your intelligence level since it's obvious you are totally incapable of ignoring me as you said you would.

Question:
What's the similarity between verbal abuse in a marriage setting involving a husband and his wife who must have mutual respect for each other, and abuse in a social setting involving strangers who don't know or care about each other?

3 Likes

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by midnighter(f): 5:28pm On Dec 18, 2019
Lol I tried reading through this thread but I don't understand what's going on

What I know is that if you slap somebody you can't be sure of whatever comes next so it's better for you if you just don't go there

You can't imagine what will pass through the other person's nervous system at lightning speed while they process your action

Except if you know you're going to slap and run cheesy

1 Like

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by Nobody: 5:33pm On Dec 18, 2019
midnighter:

What I know is that if you slap somebody you can't be sure of whatever comes next so it's better for you if you just don't go there

You can't imagine what will pass through the other person's nervous system at lightning speed while they process your action

grin grin grin
Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by midnighter(f): 5:35pm On Dec 18, 2019
Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by crackhaus: 5:47pm On Dec 18, 2019
midnighter:

Let me help you out.

Apparently, it's perfectly okay to return violence for violence but very bad to use violence as a response to verbal abuse.

The logic behind this is, you are only permitted to control yourself & set a good example in the latter, but with the former it's fair game - destroy the bítch if possible.
Also, the courts will definitely jail the person responding in the latter scenario, but will encourage the spouses to kiss and make up in the other scenario...assuming one of them is still alive.

Clear enough?

3 Likes

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by CHoccolaTE: 6:10pm On Dec 18, 2019
24kmagic:
God help me never to find my self in that kinda situation, cos I'm scared of what I will do.

If my partner slaps me first, I think I will kill her.

I will so beat her to the point that she'll lose consciousness.

But I pray never to be in that kind of awkward position
What if a random policeman or agbero on the road slaps you will you kill them?
What if your landlord slaps you? Are you also going to kill him/her?
What if your boss slaps you? Will you kill the person?
What if your uber driver snaps and slaps you? Will you kill him?

2 Likes

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by Fountainofyouth(f): 6:16pm On Dec 18, 2019
crackhaus:

You know what, I will attempt to engage you just for today so you can at least disprove my theory about your intelligence level since it's obvious you are totally incapable of ignoring me as you said you would.

Question:
What's the similarity between verbal abuse in a marriage setting involving a husband and his wife who must have mutual respect for each other, and abuse in a social setting involving strangers who don't know or care about each other?

LMAO, typing all these doesn't make you intelligent at all, everyone knows you like to argue just for the fun of it, you have been schooled above with very good points but you just like to yap about like a hungry dog, what gives nah? Your opinion of my intelligence is of no importance to my personality amigo, ignore me all you want, I don't care, but I'll continue to quote your biased, baseless comment as I see fit, deal with it,

And dude, when your wife insults you, beat the shiit outta her, and if a stranger finish you verbally, flog, bite and knife his/her body like an animal that you are okay.

4 Likes

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by liberalchick(f): 6:35pm On Dec 18, 2019
Legal based post.

Physical abuse: The only way to avoid an assault and battery charge is if you can convince the courts 1. You were in fear for your life; 2. You had no way to escape or walk away; 3. The force used is comparable to the force you received.

If your 5’2” girlfriend slaps the face of your 6 foot frame in an open park, then you slapped her back and she faints, you’re going to jail.

Verbal abuse: Verbal abuse is rarely considered as a defense, if it is, it will be used as a mitigating factor for a prosecutor as to what charge or a judge for sentencing. Verbal abuse is only considered if 1. The verbal abuse is sustained over a period of time and the person snaps; 2. At the time of the altercation, the verbal abuse uttered is a physical threat, e.g “I will stab you”.

If your life is not threatened it’s advisable to always avoid situations that causes you distress. If you have a belligerent significant other then remove them from your life. Also, “verbal abuse” is very subjective.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by bukatyne(f): 6:35pm On Dec 18, 2019
Mindfulness:

@Mindfulness, I believe you understand there is something called context.

If a lady is called a bitch on SM or by random people and it gets to her, she should review her behaviour and change if it is bitchy.

If not she should move on.

If her husband repeatedly calls her a bitch, then it is a different kettle of fish altogether.

1 Like

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by bukatyne(f): 6:38pm On Dec 18, 2019
liberalchick:
Legal based post.

Physical abuse: The only way to avoid an assault and battery charge is if you can convince the courts 1. You were in fear for your life; 2. You have no way to escape or walk away 3. The force used is comparable to the force you received.

If your 5’2” girlfriend slaps the face of your 6 feet frame in an open park, then you slapped her back and she faints, you’re going to jail.

Verbal abuse: Verbal abuse is rarely considered as a defense, if it is, it will be used as a mitigating factor for a prosecutor as to what charge or a judge for sentencing. Verbal abuse is only considered if 1. The verbal abuse is sustained over a period of time and the person snaps; 2. At the time of the altercation, the verbal abuse uttered is a physical threat, e.g “I will stab you”.

If your life is not threatened it’s advisable to always avoid situations that causes you distress. If you have a belligerent significant other than remove them from your life.

@Bold, what happens to the girlfriend?

Or it is ok for her to slap her boyfriend because she will considerably do less damage?

How do we also prove that the verbal abuse has gone on long enough for the person to be allowed to snap?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by Nobody: 6:41pm On Dec 18, 2019
bukatyne:

@Mindfulness, I believe you understand there is something called context.

If a lady is called a bitch on SM or by random people and it gets to her, she should review her behaviour and change if it is bitchy.

If not she should move on.

If her husband repeatedly calls her a bitch, then it is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Your point was that verbal abuse is violence so people calling a lady bitch/wh.ore/slut should be considered violent, not so?
And when you were telling us all the stories that touch about a stammering student and how your teacher didn't consider you to be the sharpest tool, it perfectly fitted the context, not so?

3 Likes

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by liberalchick(f): 6:42pm On Dec 18, 2019
bukatyne:

@Bold, what happens to the girlfriend?

Or it is ok for her to slap her boyfriend because she will considerably do less damage?

How do we also prove that the verbal abuse has gone on long enough for the person to be allowed to snap?
A legal based post.

Yes! 1. Based on his physical size, the force is not going to be comparable 2. He can walk away 3. His life was not in danger.

The law expects the man to walk away and report the girlfriend for assault.

On the verbal assault, the legal process will do its work. The police will investigate, people in their lives will be interrogated etc and the man will be legally represented in court.

In a civilized society people are not expected to take the law into their hands, if not, it becomes a slippery slope. What level of verbal abuse is enough to warrant a slap?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by bukatyne(f): 6:47pm On Dec 18, 2019
Fountainofyouth:

Cc Crackhaus angry

I think carefully before I type so no, I have not forgotten.

I also do not have anything to prove so I provide my opinions on matters that interest me whether they are politically correct or not.

The way I treat offense from people close to me is different from the way I treat it as a family member.

And no amount of idealizing would tell people what to do when they can no longer accommodate people's acidic tongue would make people stop chopping slap.

Why we don't think we should caution people to watch their tongues beats me.
Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by bukatyne(f): 6:53pm On Dec 18, 2019
Mindfulness:

1. Your point was that verbal abuse is violence so people calling a lady bitch/wh.ore/slut should be considered violent, not so?

2. And when you were telling us all the stories that touch about a stammering student and how your teacher didn't consider you to be the sharpest tool, it perfectly fitted the context, not so?

1. Verbal abuse is violence. If you don't like it, sorry it is. A person calling a lady a bitch/LovePeddler/slut can be a statement of fact or an insult. There are two different scenarios. If the girl's boyfriend keeps calling her a bitch/LovePeddler/slut, it can be a statement of fact or verbal abuse.

2. Any intelligent person would see that it fitted. And no, she did not consider me the sharpest tool in her subject and she was very very correct. How I passed that subject in WAEC is a clear miracle.

Now you do have any other posts of mine you want to quote out of context? wink
Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by midnighter(f): 6:55pm On Dec 18, 2019
crackhaus:

Apparently, it's perfectly okay to return violence for violence but very bad to use violence as a response to verbal abuse.

It is expected that you may fight back after being physically attacked; this is self-defence, you are trying to protect the integrity of your body.

It is not expected that you would go physical after being verbally abused, however allowances are made given that you were provoked.

The logic behind this is, you are only permitted to control yourself & set a good example in the latter, but with the former it's fair game - destroy the bítch if possible.

Being verbally abused only warrants being verbally abused back.

But we know that some people struggle to restrain themselves during that split-second and lash out physically. Which wouldn't have happened if you had kept your mouth shut.

Not that it's right, but it's understandable

In the case of violence ---> violence, the retaliation should still be reasonable.

If you slap somebody and they whack you halfway across the room and split your skull open, it will still be worse for them than if they gave you the same kind of slap back. Because you are still expected to use your judgement to decide on an appropriate response.

Even though both of those cases will still be mitigated, because the person was provoked

Also, the courts will definitely jail the person responding in the latter scenario, but will encourage the spouses to kiss and make up in the other scenario...assuming one of them is still alive.

Verbal---> physical will be punished but with a lighter sentence.

Violent----> violent will be punished but with a lighter sentence.

Both depend on what the nature of the reaction was and how much damage it inflicted. The couple would be counselled on whether it would be better for them to split or not, if it seems like they are endangering each other
Re: No Gender Has The Exclusive Right To Be Violent - Solomon Buchi by liberalchick(f): 7:00pm On Dec 18, 2019
bukatyne:

I think carefully before I type so no, I have not forgotten.

I also do not have anything to prove so I provide my opinions on matters that interest me whether they are politically correct or not.

The way I treat offense from people close to me is different from the way I treat it as a family member.

And no amount of idealizing would tell people what to do when they can no longer accommodate people's acidic tongue would make people stop chopping slap.

Why we don't think we should caution people to watch their tongues beats me.

If a man abused you verbally, like really bad, insults your generation or “provokes” you, would you slap him?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Access Bank Is About To Ruin Me! / Why Nigerians Consume Porns? / What Made You Mute Someone's Whatsapp Status?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.