Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,058 members, 7,807,178 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:45 AM

Are All These bank Charges Necessary? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Are All These bank Charges Necessary? (3590 Views)

Why Do Our Bank Charges Us N301 While Cbn Sell For Them At N199 Per Dollar / Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) / These Bank Thieves (chiefs) Should Be In Jail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are All These bank Charges Necessary? by enolase(m): 4:02pm On May 26, 2007
Please can someone help me expalin why Nigerian banks are fond of introducing all sorts of charges under different guises.

An example:

I strolled into UBA 2 days ago to transact some business, only to meet a sign that was displayed conspicuosly in several corners to the effect that from June 1, all transactions below N20,000 MUST be done via an ATM card, and that any such transaction done on the counter would attract a N50 fine.

Now I applied for an ATM card in September last year, and up till now, I am yet to get it. The bank staff have not been helpful either, as they are unwilling to tell me what has become of the ATM card. Rather they refer people to some outdated list of those who have received theirs.

Now on trying to get an instant ATM, I am being tossed from one branch to the other. At the last branch I went to, the guy I met at the customer service desk rudely told me without even looking up from his computer screen (was he trying to form being busy or what?  ) to go to my branch and make the inquiry.  angry

How annoying. The worst part is that this fellow is probably my age mate. Ten years ago when I was younger and more hot-blooded, I would have yanked him off his chair and gotten a satisfactory answer!

In this era of online banking, is it necessary for one to have to go to his branch to get the necessary attention?

Is this arbitrary charge even legal, knowing fully well that there are times those machines are offline and one would then need to make such withdrawals over the counter.

I have an Ethiopian friend who was shocked when I told him the amount of money banks charge as commissions for bank wire transfers. He even informed me that banks in Ethiopia do not charge COTs.

My fellow Nairalanders, are these arbitrarily imposed charges necessary? Are they even legal?

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD A BANK CHARGE YOU MONEY TO WITHDRAW YOUR OWN MONEY? ARE BANK TELLERS NOT PAID TO ATTEND TO CUSTOMERS?

Reactions are welcome!
Re: Are All These bank Charges Necessary? by fromuk(m): 4:42pm On May 26, 2007
Don't we have bank regulatory body in nigeria? Pls find out and make a complain to them its never done anywere in the world,pay to withdraw lailai.
Re: Are All These bank Charges Necessary? by naijacutee(f): 8:04pm On May 29, 2007
Hmm. I wish I was charged =N=50.00 a couple of years ago when a cheque bounced from my account and I got charged £30.00 (=N=7,500). In the UK, there are measures to reclaim unfair bank charges from up to 6 years in arrears. . . I don't know if Nigerians would be willing to go all the way. Here are a few tips : http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1141050760,24632,  Goodluck.   
Re: Are All These bank Charges Necessary? by otokx(m): 4:33pm On May 30, 2007
There are many other bank to choose from.

(1) (Reply)

Make Money From Microworkers.com / Currency-in-circulation Drops To N1.668 Trillion / Procedure of Incorporating a Company In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.