Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,417 members, 7,800,887 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:30 AM

Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby (1282 Views)

Immediate First Aid For Puff Adder / Snakes Bite ... / Life Threatening Asthmatic Attacks at Night, No Hospital. What do you do? / What To Do When Snake Bites You And There Is No Hospital Nearby? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby by Profayo: 11:06pm On Dec 17, 2019
I decided to create this topic in response to this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/5586684/what-when-snake-bites-there

As a medical doctor, I noticed many people posted false information as regards managing a snake bite

1.Don't panic - most snakes in are not even venomous.

2. Move away from the snake, don't go after it.

3.Wash the area under running water

4.Keep the part bitten below the heart

5. Go to a good hospital as soon as possible.

DON'Ts
1.Never tie a part bitten by a snake because you will end up cutting off blood supply to that area, and in 3 hours the area becomes irreversibly dead.
I personally witnessed a case of a child who lost the limb because of this and the painful part was that he was bitten a non-venomous snake

2.Do not cut the bitten part open with sharp objects like knife or blades.This could cause other even more serious infections like tetanus.As a Doctor,I can tell you I will rather be bitten by a snake than have tetanus.

3.Don't suck out the venom.This could also cause infection of the wound and the person sucking the wound is at risk too

4.Don't apply ice, it reduces blood supply to the bitten area.

I hope this helps someone.
Re: Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby by ETWs: 11:08pm On Dec 17, 2019
Good one op, can you please explain the other "DONT'S" as you explained the first. No knowledge is a waste.

Mods oya.
Re: Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby by reccy(m): 11:18pm On Dec 17, 2019
Noted!
Re: Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby by Nobody: 12:24am On Dec 18, 2019
Profayo:
I decided to create this topic in response to this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/5586684/what-when-snake-bites-there

As a medical doctor, I noticed many people posted false information as regards managing a snake bite

1.Don't panic - most snakes in are not even venomous.

2. Move away from the snake, don't go after it.

3.Wash the area under running water

4.Keep the part bitten below the heart

5. Go to a good hospital as soon as possible.

DON'Ts
1.Never tie a part bitten by a snake because you will end up cutting off blood supply to that area, and in 3 hours the area becomes irreversibly dead.
I personally witnessed a case of a child who lost the limb because of this and the painful part was that he was bitten a non-venomous snake

2.Do not cut the bitten part open with sharp objects like knife or blades.This could cause other even more serious infections like tetanus.As a Doctor,I can tell you I will rather be bitten by a snake than have tetanus.

3.Don't suck out the venom.This could also cause infection of the wound and the person sucking the wound is at risk too

4.Don't apply ice, it reduces blood supply to the bitten area.

I hope this helps someone.
thanks you for the insight but can you share more light to your point 4 on what to do if biting by snake
Re: Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby by Profayo: 7:33am On Dec 18, 2019
Oma307:

thanks you for the insight but can you share more light to your point 4 on what to do if biting by snake

What point 4 means is that don't elevate the bitten part above the heart.For example someone bitten in the hand should not raise his hand,but rather keep it down.Someone bitten in the legs for example, could be transported by ambulance or car, while lying down in the ambulance or car, such person should not elevate his legs by putting it on a pillow for example,because by doing that, the legs will be above the heart.

2 Likes

Re: Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby by allytinted: 10:55am On Jan 04, 2020
lalasticlala front page pls. This is informative.
Re: Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby by xcelentattitude(m): 11:06am On Jan 04, 2020
grin grin

If snake bite me, I will go after it and bite it back grin

Do me I do you, man no go vex.

Re: Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby by Healthyway15: 3:36pm On Jan 04, 2020
If a snake bites me, I will call on the Lord of its friend, lalasticlala, to save me.

Re: Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby by Healthyway15: 3:39pm On Jan 04, 2020
Healthyway15:
If a snake bites me, then, I will call on the Lord of its friend, lalasticlala, to save me.
Re: Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby by Healthyway15: 3:44pm On Jan 04, 2020
Re: Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby by Healthyway15: 5:15pm On Jan 04, 2020
Healthyway15:
If a snake bites me, I will call on the Lord of its friend, lalasticlala, to save me.

Re: Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby by Nobility25(m): 3:02pm On Jan 13, 2020
Bunch of old heartless idiots, whereas during Christmas some people could not even afford to eat rice,

(1) (Reply)

Benefits Of African Cherry “agbalumo” And How It Affect Fertility. / Have A Flat Tummy/belly In 2 Weeks. / Drink Water On Empty Stomach !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.