Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,780 members, 7,806,158 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:15 PM

ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery (62275 Views)

JAMB Score For Medicine, Is 248 Okay? / Will I Get Medicine & Surgery In EKSU With 284 As JAMB Score? / JAMB 2023 Cut Off Mark for Medicine, Law, Engineering, Accounting etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Elzak(m): 5:54pm On Dec 19, 2019
delpee:
This is very unfair except if ABU has some other meaningful reason which I can't think of now. Perhaps she should do change of institution and try another university.

That's to avoid victimisation if she gets into ABU.
This is not a strange thing as far as ABU is concerned and her score is not as high as you are thinking considering she's seeking admission to study medicine and in ABU, one of the best universities in Nigeria.

The quota for medicine is so little in all medical schools compared to the number of aspirants gunning for medicine bringing in competition. The competition becomes more stiff when one applies the top universities. So you don't expect them to admit everybody who just passed cut off mark.

All federal universities use quota system in which admission is based on catchment area, ELDS and merit and preference is given to catchment areas.

If you are not from a state within the catchment area of ABU you have to score the highest in your state before you can gain admission to study medicine in ABU. For instance, if A scores 320 from a non catchment state and B scores 319 from the same non catchment state, only A will be admitted into medicine.

It may interest you to know that ABU doesn't use O'level as criteria to give admission rendering her As almost useless. They use what they call average; the sum of your score in jamb's UTME and ABU's post utme divided by two. That means her average is 288.

This is small to fetch medicine in ABU even if she's from a catchment state.

Let's be guided please

2 Likes

Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Nobody: 5:54pm On Dec 19, 2019
Before jumping into baseless conclusions, common sense dictates that we should ask why. Could it be that she did not make the post utme cutoff or is she under the minimum age requirement? As people have pointed out, she scored an average of 288 between her Jamb and post utme which is unlikely to he sufficient. Why the continued baseless speculations?
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by toye440: 5:54pm On Dec 19, 2019
adedayourt:
Maybe her waec no qualify her
See this ogogoro man

2 Likes

Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by mrvitalis(m): 5:55pm On Dec 19, 2019
themonk:
The question is what happened and why she was denied admission. She has a very high score. You cannot tell me that everyone that got admission into that course had above 302, NOT POSSIBLE!

Most times we keep shouting injustice because we want to trend and forget to ask for the full story. Let us ask what happened first, was it ethincity motivated or because she is female or what? Then we know where to head from there.

I'm saying this because I don't see any special reason the school will deny her admission.
302 is not enough for medicine in unn its 310 ...she can't say a whole ABU would cut 250 for med surgery thats a big lie
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by celeiyke: 5:56pm On Dec 19, 2019
Islamic university of Zaria
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by selemempe: 5:56pm On Dec 19, 2019
Quotasystem any intelligent comment?
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Emmaxy9(m): 5:56pm On Dec 19, 2019
First of all, I am not really convinced by this post. The Post seems not to have true information concerning the whole matter. There can never be a school in Nigeria that will have 250 as the cut off for the medicine and surgery at this present age. You can quote me anywhere. Especially at this age where there is a high rampage of astonishing jamb scored.
In my school UNN, the cut off marks are not really disclosed to the public. I sometimes laugh when some peoole go online to check previous and old information on net to Compare with their current admission status. I don't believe that any school will cut 250 as Merit cut off marks for medicine.
Last year, the cut off Mark for medicine was 327. UNN medicine aspirants can testify. Alot of people with high scores as high as 321,320 were not given admission. So before you come to bring about an information and rant, confirm your data.

3 Likes

Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by celeiyke: 5:57pm On Dec 19, 2019
mrvitalis:

302 is not enough for medicine in unn its 310 ...she can't say a whole ABU would cut 250 for med surgery thats a big lie

shut ur crap up when u have nothing to say. which unn cuts 310? oga fear God
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Yaronmama01: 5:57pm On Dec 19, 2019
Suremikky:

This one Na mumu sha
grin
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Emmaxy9(m): 5:57pm On Dec 19, 2019
mrvitalis:

Exactly what I'm saying. Real Lie.

1 Like

Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by celeiyke: 5:58pm On Dec 19, 2019
Emmaxy9:
First of all, I am not really convinced by this post. The Post seems not to have true information concerning the whole matter. There can never be a school in Nigeria that will have 250 as the cut off for the medicine and surgery at this present age. You can quote me anywhere. Especially at this age where there is a high rampage of astonishing jamb scored.
In my school UNN, the cut off marks are not really disclosed to the public. I sometimes laugh when some peoole go online to check previous and old information on net to Compare with their current admission status. I don't believe that any school will cut 250 as Merit cut off marks for medicine.
Last year, the cut off Mark for medicine was 327. UNN medicine aspirants can testify. Alot of people with high scores as high as 321,320 were not given admission. So before you come to bring about an information and rant, confirm your data.

post a link to ur claims
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Emmaxy9(m): 6:00pm On Dec 19, 2019
celeiyke:

post a link to ur claims

Oga read what I wrote. UNN doesn't disclose their cut off marks publicly. If you see the real one, its either bloggers who are inside or people who really know the stuff.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by mrvitalis(m): 6:00pm On Dec 19, 2019
celeiyke:

O finished from unn ...the lost I have seen unn cute for medicine is 305 and that was years ago

When u have over 12000 people fighting for 200 space that's what u get
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by fm001(m): 6:01pm On Dec 19, 2019
sweetonugbu:
Northern Nigeria thrives on mediocrity, see the kind of president they gave us, someone who never address Nigerians or Nigerian press directly what we are always hearing is this.
The president was ATTRIBUTED saying that no no haram has been defeated
As narrated by Garba shehu he said Mr president when he was about going to his private quarters made this statement
As was narrated by Lai Muhammad the president said that the boko haram sect has been technically defeated he was in London when he made the statement
As was narrated by Demi Adeshina the president was sitting down and was watching the super eagles match when he said that and I quote" insha Allah boko wil
l be defeated
As narrated by Lorita onochie, it was when members of ohaneze came to see him with some Palm wine in daura that he said boko harms was collaborating with IPOB to destabilize the country but they are on their way to be defeated, he was on his palour
And this statement was made same day, our president is a DEITY

I don't think it has to do with the North...Nigeria Higher Institutions of learning are corrupt....that is why i can not be in support of autonomy for these institutions. Thank God for social media, many of such cases has happened in the past but no chance of bringing it to public attention.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by arinzos(m): 6:01pm On Dec 19, 2019
Sirjamo:
This thing is prevalent in every region of this country, I have not seen or heard of any Mohammed or Usman or Adewale that graduate from UNN or any other university in SE or SS. North and SW are even better in this regards. I expect barrage of insults on this but the truth is the truth, it has no any other name!!!!
You have not seen doesn't Mean they are not there.
Even in my Class i have Muslims(Yoruba and Hausa).
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by arinzos(m): 6:02pm On Dec 19, 2019
Emmaxy9:

Oga read what I wrote. UNN doesn't disclose their cut off marks publicly. If you see the real one, its either bloggers who are inside or people who really know the stuff.
Last time UNN Made her Cutoff Mark Public was 2015.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by aylipple: 6:03pm On Dec 19, 2019
Read most of the responses to this story & majority spoke from an emotional point of view - which is understandable - considering how religion and ethnic jingoism have taken centre stage in present day Nigeria.

However, anyone who is very familiar with the admission process in A.B.U (I speak now as one who was born, bred & educated within the vicinity of that citadel of learning, not as an "uninformed" commentator) will tell you straight up that while "catchment area" (a policy the President has directed should be abolished forthwith, don't know if the institution adhered to it) plays a great role in securing admission especially if you're from the "core" northern states, meritocracy is also a contributing factor.

It's on the basis of the latter that I suspect Miss Goodness didn't secure admission to study the course of her choice. Before you get me wrong, let me explain further; the young lady had very good UTME/Post-UTME scores as well as excellent grades in O'levels according to the author but for someone who comes from Kogi - which is a catchment area - trust me when I say her grades/scores probably paled in comparison to other candidates from the state who applied to study medicine.

Anyone who knows will tell you for free that candidates from Kogi State applying for admission into A.B.U are the most competitive & probably hold the largest number of applicants. In fact, due to the clamour to gain admission into A.B.U. many applicants from states in the Southwest (outside the "catchment area"wink now claim Kogi (similarly in names between Yoruba & Okun peoples) to help brighten their chances. And many of these "acquired" indigenes have very good scores/grades too, thereby, swelling the ranks of those seeking admission into A.B.U from the state. In contrast, other less "intelligent" candidates from the state, due to the stiff competition, have in turn acquired "certificate of indigene" from other "core" northern states (similarity in names as well especially when it's not a tribal one e.g the names Khadijat Yusuf or Abdullahi Mohammed can be borne by any northerner or Igala/Ebira/Okun Muslim without telling the difference their real states of origin) to help increase their chances of admission.

Finally, Miss Goodness may not have gotten admission to study Medicine & Surgery, she's perhaps fortunate because she could've been flung to "far away" Faculty of Sciences to study Biological Sciences or even Biochemistry or whatever they're called these days. It's a good thing she's still within the Faculty of Medicine (or is it now a college? Not sure anymore) & if she's still determined to study Medicine, the experience & additional knowledge she'll gain in her first year as a student of Human Anatomy would've prepared her to retake her UTME/POST-UTME & earn very high scores (higher than what she initially scored) that even if she hails from Mars, those in the admission's office will have no choice but to offer her the admission.

5 Likes

Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 19, 2019
ochejoseph:
Dear Prof Garba This Should Not Happen In ABU Zaria

It was Martin Luther King Jr who said that “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.'' it was on the premise of this that I decided to open this thread when I stumbled on a post by my journalist friend and brother George Onmonya .

I was Pained by the details of the post and decided to draw the attention of JAMB and Prof Ibrahim Garba the current Vice Chancellor of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria an astute administrator in who I strongly believe will act in the Spirit of justice equity and fairness.

I Have decided to reproduce the facebook post George Verbatim in order not to dilute it's content

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10218422876754656&id=1575764303

It is unimaginable that in this age someone with English , Mathmatics , Chemistry, Biology and scored one of the highest scores in recent times in both JAMB and the Post UTME will end with a course she never when those who scored half of what she scored will end up as medical students.

To deny this girl this admission is to cement the the wrongly held notion that the ABU of today no longer values merit . Using religious quota under any guise is a sacrilage that no Nigerian Muslim or Christian should be subjected to.

Those charged with the responsibility of correcting this error should remember that the tenor of human positions no matter how highly exhalted will one day come to an end only Gods tenure is eternal.

I'm not surprised!
All those NORTHERN UNIVERSITIES ARE SCAM!
What you need to get admission there are Islamic religion & Hausa/Fulani ethnicity.
With those two, even if you did not get 100/400 in UTME, you're good to go.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by arinzos(m): 6:04pm On Dec 19, 2019
celeiyke:

You haven't Seen anything yet.
Cutoff Mark for Medicine is around 326..
310 cannot Give anyone Medicine in UNN Except the person is From ELD.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by QuotaSystem: 6:05pm On Dec 19, 2019
selemempe:
Quotasystem any intelligent comment?

Anyone and everyone should be saddened whenever merit is sacrificed on the altar of ethnicity.

Let us however not pretend this trend is isolated to this institution.

We can all do better.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by TruthinAction: 6:06pm On Dec 19, 2019
Education sector is overly corrupt. And she probably don't have the money to attend private Universities. Well meaning Nigerians that are capable should give her scholarship to study in any private University of her choice.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by OVIHINNO(m): 6:07pm On Dec 19, 2019
I don't really understand why God sent me to this Shithole Country. I honestly would have chosen Niger Republic or Chad
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by ComradeShegs(m): 6:08pm On Dec 19, 2019
brexit:
Where is ASUU president, he will be promoting university autonomy full of corrupt academics , let him intervene to see that justice is granted to a poor girl, on the other hand the girl should forget ABU, nobody recognises the school in the comity of universities

grin U say WetinNobody recognises the school?...my friend keep quiet if u have nothing to say. I don't support this Quota system Bullshit but no one can deny the fact ABU is one of, if not the most prestigious University in Nigeria.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by gaskiyamagana: 6:09pm On Dec 19, 2019
The girl make mistake for chosen that Zone for her University education. I am sure University of Ife or University of Ibadan could not do her dis kinda wayo.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by ComradeShegs(m): 6:09pm On Dec 19, 2019
OVIHINNO:
I don't really understand why God sent me to this Shithole Country. I honestly would have chosen Niger Republic or Chad

Niger or Chad? grin I'm sure you're joking.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by Ekpeitut: 6:10pm On Dec 19, 2019
Such a brilliant girl. If you think scoring 6 A1s is beans, show us your WAEC and NECO results.

She should just scout for scholarships in the UK, US she will definitely get something.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by celeiyke: 6:12pm On Dec 19, 2019
arinzos:

You haven't Seen anything yet.
Cutoff Mark for Medicine is around 326..
310 cannot Give anyone Medicine in UNN Except the person is From ELD.

post link
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by acekhalifa(m): 6:12pm On Dec 19, 2019
Riplogic:
Aliyu Ammani
A Little More Light
My attention was drawn, by a very good friend, to the story making the rounds, that a certain Goodness Thomas was denied admission by the ABU to read for the degree of MBBS despite scoring 302 in the last UTME.
I made some inquiries about the matter and wish to share my findings with you dear friends.
However, before I do so, let us understand a thing or two about University admission process.
The minimum requirements for University admissions is credit pass in at least 5 subjects including English and Mathematics. This being the minimum requirements does not suggest that a student with distinctions in 6 subjects including English and Mathematics must be admitted.
There are other requirements, and circumstances, that guide the admission process apart from meeting the minimum requirements eg the attainments and performances of other candidates.
Now let's take a look at the case of Goodness Thomas.
She scored 302 in the UTME exams, and 274 in the Post UTME. Thus having an average of 288 out of a maximum of 400 points.
The Ahmadu Bello University has as its catchment area the entire 19 States of Northern Nigeria, being an indigene of Kogi State she belongs to the fold.
However, in the last UTME, more than 20 Kogi State indigenes that applied to ABU for MBBS had scores of 320 or more.
So what do you suggest the University should do? Jump over all those other candidates that had higher scores from her State to give her admission? Admit her alongside all those that scored higher than her in the examination from the same state with her?
The University offered her admission for BSc Human Anatomy.
Remember there is a very low limit to the number of students that can be admitted for MBBS; it is the most competitive programme of study in Nigerian universities.
Which University can afford to give admission to all those that crossed the minimum requirements line?
The Ahmadu Bello University is, I stand to be corrected, the only truly national University in Nigeria today, going by the geographical spread of its staff and students. As our former Vice Chancellor, the late Professor Adamu Nayaya Muhammed of blessed memory was fond of saying "there is no local government area in Nigeria that is not represented in ABU”
This is just an attempt to throw a little more light on the issue. It is not in anyway 'speaking' for the University.
Aliyu Ammani
U/Shanu Kaduna
19/12/19
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by EngrXrix(m): 6:13pm On Dec 19, 2019
ochejoseph:

It was Martin Luther King Jr who said that “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.'' it was on the premise of this that I decided to open this thread when I stumbled on a post by my journalist friend and brother George Onmonya .

I was Pained by the details of the post and decided to draw the attention of JAMB and Prof Ibrahim Garba the current Vice Chancellor of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria an astute administrator in who I strongly believe will act in the Spirit of justice equity and fairness.

I Have decided to reproduce the facebook post George Verbatim in order not to dilute it's content

It is unimaginable that in this age someone with English , Mathmatics , Chemistry, Biology and scored one of the highest scores in recent times in both JAMB and the Post UTME will end with a course she never when those who scored half of what she scored will end up as medical students.

To deny this girl this admission is to cement the the wrongly held notion that the ABU of today no longer values merit . Using religious quota under any guise is a sacrilage that no Nigerian Muslim or Christian should be subjected to.

Those charged with the responsibility of correcting this error should remember that the tenor of human positions no matter how highly exhalted will one day come to an end only Gods tenure is eternal.
Her age is the barrier. Not because she wasn’t brilliant enough. It’s normal with Nigerian higher institutions

Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by arinzos(m): 6:13pm On Dec 19, 2019
Ekpeitut:
Such a brilliant girl. If you think scoring 6 A1s is beans, show us your WAEC and NECO results.

She should just scout for scholarships in the UK, US she will definitely get something.
She is Brilliant doesn't mean she can't be denied Admission.They Offered her Anatomy sef. If na UNN you will not see Soil Science.
The High Average will just waste.
Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by DaRuud(m): 6:14pm On Dec 19, 2019
Aisha Abdullahi.

A1 in Hausa Language

6 credits in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology Agric Science , IRS

D in English and Geography

JAMB Score : 236
PUTME : 238

Course : MBBS

ochejoseph:

Re: ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery by arinzos(m): 6:15pm On Dec 19, 2019
celeiyke:

post link
There is no Link bro.
UNN doesn't Disclose Her Cutoff Mark Except you go to the Faculty and get it.
The Last time the School Made her Cutoff Mark Public was 2015.
If you want to Confirm Medicine Cutoff Mark Ask any UNN Student.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Teachers Sent To Prison For Shaving Pupil’s Hair / Neco 2010/2011 Result Out / David Onwualu Beaten By St.Valerian Catholic School Teacher, Died & Buried

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.