Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,334 members, 7,808,177 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:10 AM

Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? (5714 Views)

Nigeria Wins Bid To Manage Belarus’s Satellite For 15 Years / Bode George Wins African Leadership Award / Alao-akala To Get Leadership Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by Princek12(m): 2:27pm On Nov 29, 2010
Maybe I am just oblivious of its existence, but I can't remember the last time I saw water from a public source, much less water of drinkable quality, run out of a faucet in Nigeria. In the rare instance that water does run out of a faucet, in my own view, the water came from an overhead reservoir and was originally pumped out of a deep or shallow well. So, why on earth will Nigeria win this award? Am I dreaming? Nairalanders, what do you think? To put it plain, is the Minister of Water Resources lying?

Nigeria wins water leadership award
By Alex Abutu
November 29, 2010 01:44AM
print  email   

Nigeria was, at the weekend in Addis Ababa recognised by the World Wide-Life Fund (WWF) for its leadership role in international water policy initiatives. The Nigerian award brings to 20 the number of countries globally recognised for taking action on the United Nations Watercourse convention; seven of the countries are in Africa.

Receiving the award on behalf of Nigeria, Obadiah Ando, Minister of Water Resources said the recognition was a testimony to the government's commitment to providing safe and clean drinking water to Nigerians.

"Nigeria has taken leadership role in the West African sub-region on issues of water. We are currently responsible for providing 30 per cent of the budgetary requirements of the Lake Chad Bain Authority and the Niger Basin Authority and all this is to improve Nigerians access to safe and clean water," he said.

Mr Ando said the federal government was investing massively in the construction and upgrade of dams across the country to increase the country's sanitation rating which currently is appalling.

"Our sanitation rating is below 30 per cent and with the investment in new and upgrade of dams we are hopeful of achieving 90 per cent by the next decade," he said, adding that "Half of the infections that Nigerians suffer are water borne and adequate water provision will reduce that."

Fast ratification

The minister said government investment in water resources was aimed at increasing the water available to the agriculture sector so as to encourage irrigation farming.

Presenting the award, Flavia Loures, WWF senior programme officer said Nigeria was accorded the recognition for being the fastest country to ratify the 1997 United Nations Watercourses convention, also known as convention on the law of the non-navigational uses of international watercourses.

"It took Nigeria six months to ratify the convention. The same convention took most developed countries more than years," she said.

Back

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5647172-146/nigeria_wins_water_leadership_award_.csp
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Nov 29, 2010
No comments, cos i no even know wetin i fit talk 2 dis sham award.Sick nation,sick leaders. We dey expect GEJ fb comment again
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by Johnpaul2k2(m): 3:04pm On Nov 29, 2010
I dey Laugh,
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by ikkkkk: 3:11pm On Nov 29, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin this award is soo uncalled for. imagine how dirty our lagoons are.
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by SmashingM(f): 3:22pm On Nov 29, 2010
Me too dey laugh grin
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by Homonide: 3:24pm On Nov 29, 2010
Water Water everywhere but there is no water. Explain Mr Minister. This is nothing but 'an arangee award', no be today now.
If we may ask, what indices were considered in giving Nigeria this award? We all can see with ours eyes, NO WATER for NAIJA.
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by hilli666(m): 3:28pm On Nov 29, 2010
From someone who survived serious thyfoid fever from water, this is a double slap on the face. cry
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by Kennyblues(m): 3:30pm On Nov 29, 2010
Homonide:

Water Water everywhere but there is no water. Explain Mr Minister. This is nothing but 'an arangee award', no be today now.
If we may ask, what indices were considered in giving Nigeria this award? We all can see with ours eyes, NO WATER for NAIJA.

How can you say there is no water in Naija, what about the recent flood that rampaging the nation; should you forget, Ikorodu flood is still in our memory

I dey Laugh oooooooo
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by Princek12(m): 3:47pm On Nov 29, 2010
hilli666:

From someone who survived serious thyfoid fever from water, this is a double slap on the face. cry

I know. It is a serious slap in the face. God help Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by Princek12(m): 3:47pm On Nov 29, 2010
Kennyblues:

How can you say there is no water in Naija, what about the recent flood that rampaging the nation; should you forget, Ikorodu flood is still in our memory

I dey Laugh oooooooo

Me too dey laugh oooo. There is also the "Bar Beach" water.
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by hackney(m): 3:52pm On Nov 29, 2010
Everybody is sick of these old, hopelessly corrupt, old farts blocking the way of shining light
to the country.
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Nov 29, 2010
How ? When ? Why ? For what ?
We must have rigged the result.
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by formebyme: 3:57pm On Nov 29, 2010
This is just PLAIN RIDICULOUS  undecided undecided undecided *SMH*
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by Dabss(m): 4:02pm On Nov 29, 2010
lol
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by slap1(m): 4:03pm On Nov 29, 2010
Was the prize zoned to Nigeria or it was given in recognition of the recent flood in Lagos and Jigawa States?
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by Mavor: 4:04pm On Nov 29, 2010
How much Goodluck settle them?
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by cnnnigeria: 4:09pm On Nov 29, 2010
wonders shall never cease, abeg public water dey your area?
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by blacksta(m): 4:09pm On Nov 29, 2010
The award was zoned to Nigeria - a celebration of mediocracy and some idi ot will come and tell me GDP is raising.
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by Princek12(m): 4:10pm On Nov 29, 2010
slap1:

Was the prize zoned to Nigeria or it was given in recognition of the recent flood in Lagos and Jigawa States?

I wan laugh die!
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by vanariso(m): 4:13pm On Nov 29, 2010
, Its a vision he saw,but they ve rigged it.They(govt) NEVER GAVE US WATER BUT GOT AN AWARD FOR IT.

Singing Fela rhymes, Dem say na 2010,dem go give us water,for united nations.I want die o! give me water drink. wey the govt sef. dem no dey e dey. Dey e dey e dey.  Dey e dey e dey. Dey e dey e dey.
dey dey dey dey deyyyyyyy e dey. (trumpet) peren peren pereeeeeeen ren.
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by vorosmartm(m): 4:14pm On Nov 29, 2010
grin ;DI just dey laugh, if this matter never fall for person head kill am throway, our yeye politicians no go stop to dey tell lies any how. If its even true then they bought it, come on if you want water in nigeria you have to provide it for yourself, i still dey laugh grin undecided
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Nov 29, 2010
cnnnigeria:

wonders shall never cease, abeg public water dey your area?
honestly,i think the award is in reognition of our[b] bad leadership[/b]
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by lordvamon(m): 4:42pm On Nov 29, 2010
nonsense
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by Kobojunkie: 4:46pm On Nov 29, 2010
Water leadership award? Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by igbobuigbo: 4:47pm On Nov 29, 2010
From my understanding, the award was not given based on existing drinking water systems. The minister did acknowledge our low rating on water sanitation. The award appeared to have been given for the initiaves the govt is taken such as involvement in Lake Chad with 30% budgetary allocation from Nigeria alone; Niger Basin stuff all ina bid to increase access to clean water; investment in dams aimed at increasing water available to agriculture. It is not about existing drinking water but moves being made to get there.
Ultimately, the recognition was basically for Nigeria's speedy ratification of some UN water course convention in 1997. At that time, my igbotic naija brother was the DG (or had just finished his tenure as DG) of the UN agency, International Water Management Institute (IWMI) based in Sri Lanka, which might explain our speedy involvement. Trust naija man to help him country.

Except where deliberate, people should read with understanding before commenting and not get prejudiced by the op who clearly did not understand what the story was all about. I completely agree that the award was premature. It should come when the goals have been met.
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by Pelumiv(m): 5:03pm On Nov 29, 2010
Witch cry yestaday, pikin die tuday, who no no say na yestaday witch kill pikin. 2011 drama don dey unfold small small. na water award dem dey use practise. lol.
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Nov 29, 2010
igbobuigbo:

From my understanding, the award was not given based on existing drinking water systems. The minister did acknowledge our low rating on water sanitation. The award appeared to have been given for the initiaves the govt is taken such as involvement in Lake Chad with 30% budgetary allocation from Nigeria alone; Niger Basin stuff all ina bid to increase access to clean water; investment in dams aimed at increasing water available to agriculture. It is not about existing drinking water but[b] moves being made[/b] to get there.
Ultimately, the recognition was basically for Nigeria's speedy ratification of some UN water course convention in 1997. At that time, my igbotic naija brother was the DG (or had just finished his tenure as DG) of the UN agency, International Water Management Institute (IWMI) based in Sri Lanka, which might explain our speedy involvement. Trust naija man to help him country.

Except where deliberate, people should read with understanding before commenting and not get prejudiced by the op who clearly did not understand what the story was all about. I completely agree that the award was premature. It should come when the goals have been met.
so we got the award because your ibo brother was making ''moves'' ? What moves ? Wtf
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by apoti(m): 5:19pm On Nov 29, 2010
why are u surprised?
we are the largest producer of pure poor water in the whole world. grin

I dey laff for pidgin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by oluagness(m): 5:26pm On Nov 29, 2010
I dey laugh also grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Nov 29, 2010
as was pointed out on smooth fm this morning when discussing this ridiculous award, over 800/1500 people died of cholera in nigeria this year because of lack of potable water
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by semid4lyfe(m): 5:40pm On Nov 29, 2010
^^Too many Nairalanders trying to outdo themselves with wisecracks
Re: Nigeria Wins Water Leadership Award! Are You Kidding Me? by Dukechimi: 5:41pm On Nov 29, 2010
i dey vex

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CHANNELSTV: Maoupe, Chamberlin, Alendeh - The Most Intelligent / Biafra: Ipob Protest In Imo Owerri Today / A Photo Of When Col. Sambo Dasuki Arrested General Buhari In 1985

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.