Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,265 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:34 AM

Meme And Culture Exchange: Africa & The West - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Meme And Culture Exchange: Africa & The West (267 Views)

15 Meme Guys That Live Extravagant Lifestyle Can Relate To / Recent Photo Of Little Girl With The Popular Meme / Jake Amo: Meme Boy Grown In New Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Meme And Culture Exchange: Africa & The West by jackerling: 4:22am On Dec 21, 2019
Hello Nairaland users,

I hail from Canada, a land of ice, snow, and coffee. The time as of writing is 10:22 PM EST, and as I understand, it would be roughly 4:30 AM in Nigeria, though feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Nonetheless, I come here seeking knowledge.

I use the internet a lot, probably more than most. Thankfully, there are entire communities of people on the internet who use the internet just as often, and two big ones are Reddit and 4chan.

Memes are a huge staple of the internet, and are very powerful; a mere image coupled with a few words can shape politics and social attitudes. In the 2016 American election, memes were used to great effect in getting Donald Trump elected.

In the image attached is a "pepe", a green frog which has taken many forms over the years, including the Donald Trump version.

There is a great cultural divide in the west, and there are two websites we predominantly use for discussion and dialectic, namely, Reddit and 4chan. 4chan and Reddit exist as polar opposites, in a constant struggle. 4chan is a bastion of free speech, and 'fringe' beliefs, while Reddit is where normies find refuge in total conformity.

Currently, there is a left/right divide in the west. On the right side are cultural conservatives who want to keep things the same, who want free speech and free access to guns, who seek to limit immigration and maintain the demographics of their country. On the left, we have cultural liberals, who support the transgender and gay agenda, want more immigration, and generally want to limit access to firearms and free-speech on many websites.

Currently in the state of Virginia in the United States, the democrat (left) party was voted into power and are trying to limit access to firearms, which has caused most of the state to take up arms in protest! Interestingly, the democrats won because of a handful of cities with larger populations, while the rest of the state is conservative (right), and as such, we have a situation where a few cities are deciding the conduct of the whole state.

4chan has changed the cultural landscape in the west, and has birthed many great memes, including Pepe. I am personally a man of 4chan, as are all men of culture, dignity, and wisdom, though, I may be a tad biased. Meanwhile, Reddit is probably the more popular of the two, and is what most people use. We of 4chan would describe Reddit users as "normies", or "NPCs" (basically meaning robots/zombies).

I've rambled on for long enough!

If you're interested in knowing more of the internet culture of the west or other related news, I will do my best to respond.

What I am mainly interested in, are the memes you guys use. What are they? Please attach them to your comments so I may collect these memes, as I am accruing a meme folder for each country's predominant internet communities, and in this case, I would love to collect the memes of the wonderful Nigerians of Nairaland.

Attached are some examples of the memes (including the example I used) that we use often on 4chan.

Best regards,
Jack

Re: Meme And Culture Exchange: Africa & The West by meobizy(f): 4:13am On Dec 25, 2019
Why are you here? This is your eleventh account now?

(1) (Reply)

Pickmeup Online Taxi Company Launches In Akure Ondo State. / Best Inverter/solar Installer / Hi, We Are Testing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.