Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro (32952 Views)

Taliban Renames Country Islamic Emirate Of Afghanistan (Pictures) / Muriel Bowser Renames Road Leading To White House Black Lives Matter Plaza / West African Countries To Stop Using Colonial-era Currency 'CFA Franc' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by Zooposki(f): 6:07pm On Dec 22, 2019
healthserve:
Africa and its penchant for servitude. The curse of Noah still waxes strong

Naoh cursed Canaan, not Ham. Even if Ham was cursed, the Hamites are the Egyptians, Ethiopians, Phut(Fulanis) and Cush.

1 Like

Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by Blue3k2: 6:09pm On Dec 22, 2019
Aladegba:

Wat of Cameroon

There in central African CFA franc. The status quo remains with them.
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by healthserve(m): 6:09pm On Dec 22, 2019
Zooposki:

Naoh cursed Canaan, not Ham. Even if, the Hamites are the Egyptians, Ethiopians, Phut(Fulanis) and Cush. The rest of Africans are not Hamites.

Trace the gene ology wella. Is Egypt or Ethiopia not likened to a cursed nation? Have they ever flourished?
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by Yujin(m): 6:10pm On Dec 22, 2019
panpan:
This appears to be a subtle way by France to frustrate an independent joint West African currency.

France and Ivory Coast have cunningly changed the name "CFA" to "Eco", with currency links to France, but without the input of non-CFA West African countries.

What this means is that CFA countries in West Africa will now say that they have adopted the Eco, and it is left for non-CFA countries to join the now France-backed Eco or stay on their own.
Lol. My thoughts too. Nigeria is on a long thing in Ecowas.
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by ajl: 6:10pm On Dec 22, 2019
GidiWoodsMan:

they have to peg it to euro because the cfa-bloc are yet to establish their own central bank which is not something you can do overnight. the economies have different peculiarities, weaknesses & strengths.

if you ask me there is no need for this radical change, they should've simply renegotiated the terms of their economic engagement with france. black africans are not ready for this single-currency thing because there is still a lot wrong with our people in terms of ethical orientation, life-philosophy, etc. we lack the required institutions still. even the europeans are having a a tough time keeping the EU afloat and take a look at the time-distance between their civilization and ours, three hundred years at the least...

Nigeria is the biggest beneficiary of this foolish move executed by francophone Africa, but only if our leaders understand how to profit from the new economic regime. France will definitely withdraw military subsidies enjoyed by those countries, they now have to pay out of pocket (which they can barely afford) or go without the enormous clout they had when France underwrote their political/military adventurism in the subcontinent (the Bakassi fiasco comes to mind)

Just listen to yourself. I suppose you are still "tied" to your mother through an umbilical cord. I do not mean this in a abusive way. How in heaven in this 21st century will multiple nations put their reserve in the hands of their colonial master who prints their currency, use the funds as loans and all others. Grow some balls "Man". This world is not for the coward who do not want to brave the challenges of human existence. The black Africans seem not to understand the fact that its survival of the fittest. France do not give a shit about you or all of Africa. They are only after their interest. Start looking out for yours as Africans. I have dined and wined with these hawkish-minded people. They also take advantage of their own less fortunate people. Here, people are kept in debt for life. Now some are introducing home loans of 100 yrs, from one generation to the next. And you think people like this give a damn about your existence. Grow up, Man.

2 Likes

Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by ajl: 6:15pm On Dec 22, 2019
Yujin:

Lol. My thoughts too. Nigeria is on a long thing in Ecowas.

If what you are saying is right, they are just waiting their time. And you think Nigeria will accept that. Nigeria control 75% of the subregion commerce. Even France can't do anything about except to continue to destabilize Nigeria via arming foreign herdmen that go into Nigeria to cause ethnic tension or supporting Boko Haram underground.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by ajl: 6:16pm On Dec 22, 2019
healthserve:

Trace the gene ology wella. Is Egypt or Ethiopia not likened to a cursed nation? Have they ever flourished?

What's all this? We are talking about currency and folks are talking about Cush or Ham.
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by healthserve(m): 6:18pm On Dec 22, 2019
ajl:

What's all this? We are talking about currency and folks are talking about Cush or Ham.

Haven't I tried with all I've dispensed freely here to far to unwind?
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by ibietela2(m): 6:18pm On Dec 22, 2019
GenBuhari:
Brexit will never happen. They are playing to the gallery.
African countries will still be under the control of colonialist exploiters if not via taxes, but they would devise alternative ways to economically milk those nations.

They have already approved it na.... The Brexit
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by Yujin(m): 6:22pm On Dec 22, 2019
ajl:

If what you are saying is right, they are just waiting their time. And you think Nigeria will accept that. Nigeria control 75% of the subregion commerce. Even France can't do anything about except to continue to destabilize Nigeria via arming foreign herdmen that go into Nigeria to cause ethnic tension or supporting Boko Haram underground.
Lol. What ever they do or intend to do holds more promise than whatever Nigeria plans to do. Bye bye to any single West African currency that will include Nigeria. This Nigeria can flex her frail muscles let's see.
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by thatigboman: 6:22pm On Dec 22, 2019
healthserve:

Yawns. Try the path of intennectual discuss first and not rants. If you can intellectually speak with civility I'll take you serious
where did u invent the bolded word from?
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by ajl: 6:23pm On Dec 22, 2019
JubrinElSudan:
If the ECO will reduce the amount in millions of Nigeria one would have used to "japa" from this country, then I welcome it at least for now grin

Stop acting like an Idiot. Watch this video to understand why I used that term.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfSMr8-fn8k
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by Yujin(m): 6:24pm On Dec 22, 2019
ajl:

Just listen to yourself. I suppose you are still "tied" to your mother through an umbilical cord. I do not mean this in a abusive way. How in heaven in this 21st century will multiple nations put their reserve in the hands of their colonial master who prints their currency, use the funds as loans and all others. Grow some balls "Man". This world is not for the coward who do not want to brave the challenges of human existence. The black Africans seem not to understand the fact that its survival of the fittest. France do not give a shit about you or all of Africa. They are only after their interest. Start looking out for yours as Africans. I have dined and wined with these hawkish-minded people. They also take advantage of their own less fortunate people. Here, people are kept in debt for life. Now some are introducing home loans of 100 yrs, from one generation to the next. And you think people like this give a damn about your existence. Grow up, Man.
Well, I agree with you here.
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by healthserve(m): 6:24pm On Dec 22, 2019
thatigboman:
where did u invent the bolded word from?

You think say I no get other things to do. Read and observe how I immensely contributed to this thread. If you have better contributions, please freely make them. Otherwise let me be and vacate my mentions with your pull-him-down energy you're targeting at me. Yeye
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by Godhatesodomy: 6:27pm On Dec 22, 2019
Blue3k2:
I guess france has decided to wash their hands of W. African CFA franc. The french treasury will no longer back the currency. They no longer have seat on board or reserves afterall. Congratulations and good luck to the Africans who control their currency.

Wake up out your slumber

Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by JubrinElSudan: 6:28pm On Dec 22, 2019
ajl:

Stop acting like an Idiot. Watch this video to understand why I used that term.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfSMr8-fn8k
I believe you quoted me wrongly cos I didn't quote you earlier
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by tiredoflife(m): 6:32pm On Dec 22, 2019
Kingray10:
Please what will be the value of the west Africa Eco

Will it be equal to euros
Just curious

No one knows
But one thing for sure
It will make savers losers
So if u have any money u are not using
Go and buy dollars and keep
When the change comes to the eco
You come back to it as the money stabilise

Many germans became poorer when they moved from the Dutch mark to the euro
It will happen again

1 Like

Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by Blue3k2: 6:32pm On Dec 22, 2019
Godhatesodomy:

Wake up out your slumber

Lol start with yourself fallen man. You shouldn't be living in democracy anymore. Live under a monarchy. Nigeria isnt leading anything but talks. They haven't got their fiscal house in order.

According to Ahmed, the 2020 implementation deadline set for the adoption of single currency by ECOWAS member states is constrained by the continuing macroeconomic vulnerabilities in the respective economies.

She stated that till date, only Togo out of the 15 ECOWAS member countries has been able to fulfil all four convergence criteria required for a smooth transition by the target date.

Source

The four primary criteria to be achieved by each member country are: a single-digit inflation rate at the end of each year; a fiscal deficit of no more than four per cent of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP); a central bank deficit-financing of no more than 10 per cent of the previous year's tax revenue, and gross external reserves that can give import cover for a minimum of three months.

On the other hand, the six secondary criteria to be achieved by each member country are: Prohibition of new domestic default payments and liquidation of existing ones; tax revenue should be equal to or greater than 20 percent of the GDP; wage bill to tax revenue equal to or less than 35 per cent; public investment to tax revenue equal to or greater than 20 per cent; a stable real exchange rate, and positive real interest rate.
Source
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by ibietela2(m): 6:34pm On Dec 22, 2019
Blue3k2:

Fine start by rejecting all their foreign aid. If they're not ready to do that they're just talking at the end of the day. Even knows the money buys political favors.

Burkina Faso president (i can't remember his name) tried this and France sponsored a coup which got him killed.

Thomas something
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by Blue3k2: 6:40pm On Dec 22, 2019
ibietela2:

Burkina Faso president (i can't remember his name) tried this and France sponsored a coup which got him killed.

Thomas something

Thomas Sankara did get overthrown but its no excuse. Freedom not free. Besides countries like Eritrea have weaned themselves from foreign aid.
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by tiredoflife(m): 6:42pm On Dec 22, 2019
darkwan:

i know this europeans are cunning,but they cant force you to do any deals with them no more,thats my point....

if after this you still return to them and still make deals and the cheat you again,then blame yourselves....

asia is their,russia is their...ol arab nations are their....south america is their....

its up to you now....

U said they cant force you
Really

Please go read the book economic hitman

It will educate you
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by Godhatesodomy: 6:46pm On Dec 22, 2019
Blue3k2:

Lol start with yourself fallen man. You shouldn't be living in democracy anymore. Live under a monarchy. Nigeria isnt leading anything but talks. They haven't got their fiscal house in order.

When riding a bike for the first time one feels foolish yet only a dead man wouldn't attempt it believing its impossible.

Wake up out your slumber
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by Blue3k2: 6:52pm On Dec 22, 2019
Godhatesodomy:

When riding a bike for the first time one feels foolish yet only a dead man wouldn't attempt it believing its impossible.

Wake up out your slumber

Lol tell Nigeria to lead by example instead of just talking. Actions speak louder than words. Maybe you'll understand one day.

According to Ahmed, the 2020 implementation deadline set for the adoption of single currency by ECOWAS member states is constrained by the continuing macroeconomic vulnerabilities in the respective economies.

She stated that till date, only Togo out of the 15 ECOWAS member countries has been able to fulfil all four convergence criteria required for a smooth transition by the target date.
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by ibietela2(m): 7:03pm On Dec 22, 2019
panpan:
This appears to be a subtle way by France to frustrate an independent joint West African currency.

France and Ivory Coast have cunningly changed the name "CFA" to "Eco", with currency links to France, but without the input of non-CFA West African countries.

What this means is that CFA countries in West Africa will now say that they have adopted the Eco, and it is left for non-CFA countries to join the now France-backed Eco or stay on their own.

SPOT ON
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by juniorstar(m): 7:34pm On Dec 22, 2019
in no time their currency would be watered down to nothing. just look at our naira. heard there was a time when the naira was more valuable than dollar and i guess dat was becos as at then we just recently detached from britain. now naira to dollar is in the ratio 360+: 1
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by panafrican(m): 7:35pm On Dec 22, 2019
BabaRamota1980:

If France supported Biafra for secession it would have happened, or at the minimum Biafra would have been put under UN supervision as a mandate.

France needed to sell weapon and also prevent the struggle from spreading into Cameroon and create a problem for its control in that country.

Their support of Biafra was selfish, they sabotaged the secession struggle.

Ojukwu the rebel leader with a joyful beard fled to Cote d' Ivoire where he became the owner of a big company specialized in timber export .
Remember ?
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by Horus(m): 7:47pm On Dec 22, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDjMNJlAGBM

Nigerian could stop using the Naira by 2020 To Adopt "ECO" as it new currency
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by Nobody: 7:58pm On Dec 22, 2019
ajl:

the new currency ie still tied to the euro, their 'reserves' are still domiciled within the cspitalist financial system...
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by Godhatesodomy: 8:45pm On Dec 22, 2019
Blue3k2:

Lol tell Nigeria to lead by example instead of just talking. Actions speak louder than words. Maybe you'll understand one day.

You are the only one talking the holy fathers of the land have started the change.

Wake up out your slumber
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by alexola20(m): 8:58pm On Dec 22, 2019
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by urahara(m): 9:30pm On Dec 22, 2019
With the way people on this thread are wailing about Europeans taking advantage of Africans , you would think Subsaharan Africa is a region of dunces.
Re: ECO: West Africa Renames CFA Franc But Keeps It Pegged To Euro by Nobody: 10:03pm On Dec 22, 2019
darkwan:

you biafrans sef with una twisted minds....

Oh really?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photo Of Prime Minister May Bowing To Prince Williams Sparks Mockery Online / UK To Send 120 Armoured Vehicles To Ukraine As Boris Johnson Meets Zelensky / Zoleka, Nelson Mandela’s Granddaughter Dies Of Cancer At 43

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.