Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

Rubber Stamp Legislature: Senator Ahmed Lawan, An Over Rated Politician - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rubber Stamp Legislature: Senator Ahmed Lawan, An Over Rated Politician (624 Views)

Oby Ezekwesili: Senator Ahmed Tinubu Could Have Saved Us This Embarrassment / Senator Ahmed Ogembe Involved In Accident (Photos) / Defection: Senator Ahmed Lawan, Wamakko, Boss Mustapha Meet Oshiomhole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rubber Stamp Legislature: Senator Ahmed Lawan, An Over Rated Politician by aviara: 4:20am On Dec 24, 2019
The newly elected members of the Senate headed by Senator Ahmed Lawal has not lived up to the expectations of most Nigerians as regards proper representation. In a democracy, the legislature and judiciary are supposed to serve as checks and balances for the executive and vice versa. However, this has not been the case. What we have seen since the Ahmed Lawal led senate took over is more of a weak (rubber stamp) senate who is ready to do the bidding of the executive even at the expense of the citizen they are supposed to represent.

Senate president Ahmed Lawal frustrates quality debate on national issues that aims at challenging the executive arm's policy direction. The kind of leadership provided by the former senate president Bukola Saraki seem to be missing, where the senate lived up to its responsibility by giving room for quality debates on national issues and rejecting proposals from the executives that doesn't translate to better standard of living for Nigerians. But what we see today is that the legislature is just an extension of the executive arm of government. This defeats the principle of separation of powers and checks and balance. I think this portends danger to the deepening of our democracy. I believe partisan politics should end during campaign for election and good governance should be the focus afterwards where the interest of Nigerians should be the main priority.

I would want to see a situation where the senate speak to challenge the executive arm whenever they were abusing power or taking an unpopular policy that won't better the lot of Nigerians. The romance between the various arms of government should only be to the extent to which it positively impacts on the populace.

Re: Rubber Stamp Legislature: Senator Ahmed Lawan, An Over Rated Politician by Goldencheese(m): 4:53am On Dec 24, 2019
Lawan's ultimate life goal was to become the Senate President and he has achieved that. What do you guys want from him again? You are expecting too much from Lawan. We just need to endure the remaining 36 months until a new govt of purpose and clear direction comes in.

And before you reply, I am not for PDP not APC. I am for good governance in Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rubber Stamp Legislature: Senator Ahmed Lawan, An Over Rated Politician by neoclassical: 2:09pm On Dec 24, 2019
That is what you get when a Political Party unilaterally nominates a Senate President, who was supposed to be elected by members of the parliament. That was the agreement abnitio. "We will make you the Senate President while you approve everything that comes from us".
Re: Rubber Stamp Legislature: Senator Ahmed Lawan, An Over Rated Politician by dirifred(m): 2:17pm On Dec 24, 2019
When a man sees his position as an opportunity, this is all to expect from him, The case will be different when he sees his position as a responsibility. but I don't that possibility with the present national assembly leadership.
Re: Rubber Stamp Legislature: Senator Ahmed Lawan, An Over Rated Politician by Magicians: 2:21pm On Dec 24, 2019
OP n you is that cos he refuse to do you bigoted Igbo bidding ?

Goldencheese:
Lawan's ultimate life goal was to become the Senate President and he has achieved that. What do you guys want from him again? You are expecting too much from Lawan. We just need to endure the remaining 36 months until a new govt of purpose and clear direction comes in.

And before you reply, I am not for PDP not APC. I am for good governance in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Rubber Stamp Legislature: Senator Ahmed Lawan, An Over Rated Politician by neoclassical: 2:32pm On Dec 24, 2019
Magicians:
OP n you is that cos he refuse to do you bigoted Igbo bidding ?

This is childish. Must you people bring Igbo vs Yoruba in every political discourse. I am even ashamed of replying this your useless comment. Some of you make irritating comments in this forum.

1 Like

Re: Rubber Stamp Legislature: Senator Ahmed Lawan, An Over Rated Politician by Magicians: 10:30pm On Dec 24, 2019
I hate it when lunatic quote me pls never in our miserable life should u dare to, thank you.

neoclassical:
This is childish. Must you people bring Igbo vs Yoruba in every political discourse. I am even ashamed of replying this your useless comment. Some of you make irritating comments in this forum.

1 Like

Re: Rubber Stamp Legislature: Senator Ahmed Lawan, An Over Rated Politician by Azmanaty: 5:31am On Dec 25, 2019
Magicians:
I hate it when lunatic quote me pls never in our miserable life should u dare to, thank you.

You actually sound like the lunatic. A condom would have prevented us this eediot undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rubber Stamp Legislature: Senator Ahmed Lawan, An Over Rated Politician by markfem2: 5:34am On Dec 25, 2019
Azmanaty:

You actually sound like the lunatic. A condom would have prevented us this eediot undecided
Re: Rubber Stamp Legislature: Senator Ahmed Lawan, An Over Rated Politician by jahsharon: 5:41am On Dec 25, 2019
Goldencheese:

You are dumb. Check his educational qualification's, how many people in your generations can get near what he has achieved before becoming SP

1 Like

Re: Rubber Stamp Legislature: Senator Ahmed Lawan, An Over Rated Politician by helinues: 7:20am On Dec 25, 2019
Yhen Yhen Yhen
Re: Rubber Stamp Legislature: Senator Ahmed Lawan, An Over Rated Politician by juman(m): 7:38am On Dec 25, 2019
Senate president is doing well.
Re: Rubber Stamp Legislature: Senator Ahmed Lawan, An Over Rated Politician by tiwiex(m): 7:45am On Dec 25, 2019
jahsharon:

You are dumb. Check his educational qualification's, how many people in your generations can get near what he has achieved before becoming SP
Does that make him an effective SP so far? No one asked for his CV. Many have an impressive CV. Means nothing or their could still be a misfit. Maybe he is a great senator but not so great an SP. Just saying no be by CV.

(1) (Reply)

MURIC: Overzealousness And Channeling It To Better Projects / Former President Obasanjo Spotted Harvesting Yams On His Farmland (photos) / No Apologies For Donating Wheelbarrows To Indigent People, Says Nsukka LGA B

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.