Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,182 members, 7,807,594 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:54 PM

High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? (36736 Views)

Russia-ukrainan War: Sokoto Students Now In Budapest, Says Tambuwal / What's Behind This Year's Low JAMB Scores? / No WASSCE For Nigerian Students Now - Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Nobody: 11:52am On Dec 25, 2019
The rate at which students make high scores nowadays in JAMB is something to understand.

In those days, people do not make such high scores, even the intelligent ones. Those days, you see very intelligent people scoring 265, 270, 280, etc; but today, I think the rate of 300+ seems higher.

So what is the factor? Is it that JAMB quality has dropped or Students are now more intelligent?

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by LordIsaac(m): 12:02pm On Dec 25, 2019
Honestly, it amazes me too. But we weren't dull na...

101 Likes 7 Shares

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by brainhgeek(m): 12:03pm On Dec 25, 2019
I thought of this too but I won't fault the system. A lot of things have changed. We can't easily conclude

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by brainhgeek(m): 12:09pm On Dec 25, 2019
LordIsaac:
Honestly, it amazes me too. But we weren't dull na...

Abi o. We weren't dull too.
However, I can say some schools are getting things right now. With the advent of British and American curricular, kids are getting better. I teach A level and Advance Placement subjects. I can tell you that those 15-17 years secondary school kids are really doing well in topics I struggled with in the university.
Effective teaching and learning skills are helping kids these days. We hardly could see a class and learner friendly atmosphere in classrooms during our time.

321 Likes 18 Shares

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by rtdCivilservant: 12:10pm On Dec 25, 2019
I think Jamb has reviewed their scoring system.

91 Likes 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Dec 25, 2019
lalasticlala
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by LordIsaac(m): 12:21pm On Dec 25, 2019
brainhgeek:

Abi o. We weren't dull too.
However, I can say some schools are getting things right now. With the advent of British and American curricular, kids are getting better. I teach A level and Advance Placement subjects. I can tell you that those 15-17 years secondary school kids are really doing well in topics I struggled with in the university.
Effective teaching and learning skills are helping kids these days. We hardly could see a class and learner friendly atmosphere in classrooms during our time.
That's true.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Dec 25, 2019
Maybe the questions are not as hard as before!!! Because we gat brains those days...or maybe information technology is helping...

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by internationalman(m): 12:42pm On Dec 25, 2019
it's simple na.

as day breaks what seems to be difficult yesterday becomes an easy task today..

even babies now open their eyes now from birth unlike before when it took up to about 3 weeks

96 Likes 5 Shares

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Dec 25, 2019
The standards did not drop. People are still banging 180, 116, 142..even 96

Okay...see chike that applied for geography..chike got 109

Thats all I can say

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Dec 25, 2019
I think it's population increase, more people are seeking admission into the university, so those with very high scores are more and are recognized. There are hundreds of thousand of aspirant with less than 150 in JAMB

37 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by themonk(m): 4:18pm On Dec 25, 2019
Snowale:
I think it's population increase, more people are seeking admission into the university, so those with very high scores are more and are recognized. The are hundreds of thousands of aspirant with less than 150 in JAMB

The above and also

Humans get more intelligent over time.

Plus there is a limit to questions jamb can manufacture, so most people would have encountered a question before. The more times jamb exams are taken the more it is likely to repeat a question or figure out a trick to tick the correct answer since a pattern tends to come out.

Also there are better resources to make preparations easier like the internet and all.

50 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by u11ae1013: 4:18pm On Dec 25, 2019
It has dropped dramatically

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by beardedboy(m): 4:19pm On Dec 25, 2019
In addition to the above points, I think past questions are also responsible for it.

The more the years of past questions, the more samples teachers and students have to study JAMB's methods and techniques.

So I think schools and instructors have mastered JAMB's methods and tricks.

I should emphasize that the factors affecting the improved performance could be more than one. As some people above mentioned;

-improved teaching techniques
- increase in people seeking admission which has led to increase in competition.
- presence of more past questions to study JAMB's patterns.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Adeling(m): 4:19pm On Dec 25, 2019
Okpa042:

Thats all I can say
Who b Chike? grin

@op, there's what they call "machinery". If you know you know.

7 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by MZrapper(f): 4:19pm On Dec 25, 2019
In my days I scored 219 and for that year I was like the glory of the family. grin grin grin

95 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Throwback: 4:19pm On Dec 25, 2019
Wrong!

Most cut-off marks for Engineering, Law and Medical Science courses were above 270 in most of the top 6 federal universities in the early 2000s.

Then, when you score 250 or 260, you already know you can only gain admission on a supplementary admission list known as connection list, instead of the merit admission list. Otherwise, you do a change of university to state university or a change of course.

Those days, Science candidates (PhyChemBi) with below 250 were almost sure to rewrite the exam or gain admission for Zoology, Botany of Human Kinetics, while Science candidates (PhyChemMa) with below 250 would likely only secure admission for Met&Mat Engineering or Agricultural Engineering.

Law candidates with such scores had to settle for English, while Agricultural Economics came to the rescue of both Science and Commerce candidates.

Also the top scores for the exams then were also always above 300, with some scoring as high as 320 or 330. However, only about 20 to 40 candidates made the scores above 300.

Admittedly, it is easier to score higher now than in the times I referenced, due to the more comfortable exam environment and use of calculators.

With the proliferation of Federal, State and Private Universities when compared to the number in the late '90s and early 2000s, candidates now score 200 and 210 and are rejoicing.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Dupalmer: 4:19pm On Dec 25, 2019
The rate at which universities churn out illiterate graduates is not only alarming but worrisome. Lots of graduates scaled through the already fallen standard through the use of smuggled smart phones in the examination centres, sex for grades and bribery popularly known as 'sorting' in many schools,
WAEC holders In the 90s, 80s and 70s with weak passes still fare better than the present day 2-2 graduates.

God help us all.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by omoadeleye(m): 4:20pm On Dec 25, 2019
Ntn new to learn again
Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by AK481(m): 4:20pm On Dec 25, 2019
No standard dropped, effective teaching tool has made it easier for serious student to do better.

YouTube teaches anything.
Whatsapp group shares information about exams easier and faster , tutorial teachers solve examples and drop it there.

Better learning aid I will say,

Just wait make this set of children singing “ baby sha do do do do do “ grow up first.

5 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Valentinooo: 4:20pm On Dec 25, 2019
JAMB's standard has dropped.

Pick a jamb past question, compare questions from the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s with those of 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019.
You will see what I'm saying.
Even WAEC's standard has dropped too

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by emmabest2000(m): 4:20pm On Dec 25, 2019
Change is inevitable

To nairalanders MERRY CHRISTMAS

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by ProudBoy: 4:20pm On Dec 25, 2019
It is the Computer-based System. During the hard copy days, questions were harder. CBT questions simple.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by crafteck(m): 4:20pm On Dec 25, 2019
Special centres Don improve

6 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Vivikema: 4:20pm On Dec 25, 2019
2014,I had 99 in biology in jamb....the thing surprise me sef grin

3 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Mbbscentric(m): 4:20pm On Dec 25, 2019
Adeling:

Who b Chike? grin

You!

3 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Dobson43: 4:21pm On Dec 25, 2019
shocked

I would finger the spate of technology as a resounding factor kids these days do better.

Exposure to internet, YouTube and Android phone is sure to be a game changer.

Back in my day, teachers even struggle to impact knowledge. These days google has changed all that

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by YungMillionaire: 4:21pm On Dec 25, 2019
JAMB does not measure intelligence.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by visijo(m): 4:22pm On Dec 25, 2019
Don't feel too big when a guy ask you for your contact, 98% of us won't call you.
It's just our hobby.
��

28 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by Ferdinandu(m): 4:23pm On Dec 25, 2019
Advancement in ICT really helped also. It is easier now to get access to all information you need for success in the exam than before

2 Likes

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by ignis: 4:23pm On Dec 25, 2019
Okpa042:

Thats all I can say
Even if you drop the questions to primary school standard, people will still score less than 100.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High JAMB Scores: Has JAMB Quality Dropped Or Are Students Now More Intelligent? by one1prax(m): 4:23pm On Dec 25, 2019
i honestly don't know oo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FG Slams ASUU For Using UTAS As Condition For Ending Strike. / My Secondary School Chemistry Students Made This Salt / The Deplorable State Of Infrastructure In Nigerian Universities (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.