Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,665 members, 7,770,838 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 02:59 PM

Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. (3488 Views)

The Cost Of Tinting Your Car: How Much Does It Cost And How To Not Get Ripped Of / I Just Crashed My Car. How Do I Fix It / Foreign Used Car, How Much Damage Is Too Much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by MedicH: 2:19pm On Dec 28, 2019
mandalorian:
Looking at my elder brother struggling with his toks camery 2008. I can only imagine how much he's spent since he bought the car. I feel discouraged sef grin

What's wrong with the car?
Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by temmym4(m): 2:40pm On Dec 28, 2019
Esseite:

Servicing (1year) - N150k (mobile 1)
carwash, tires pumps and patches, paintings - N150k
Tires 1st set - N80k
Fueling - N520,000 at N10k/week
transmission service - N30k (T4 oil)
Police, lastma, bribes and fines - N100k
Mechanics and minor repairs - N100k

Total = N3.630m an added N1.130m (excluding engine or transmission change and other major accidents.

Waoh, no wonder some people do not have a penny as savings at the end of the year despite their income.

no wonder some sees cars as liability.

Potential car buyers.
Please dont see cars as a satanic agent that will come and suck you dry. It is not the way every car maintenance drain your purse.

Make your research on a car that fits your purse in terms of maintenance and dont go beyond your boundary, plus get a good ride that is ok mechanically.

At the end of the day, you will see that it costs luttle or almost nothing using a car compared to boarding Taxis.

A car is meant to give you peace and ease. Not take the life outta you.
Do things responsibly.

Back to the topic...

Fueling: about 14k a month/ 160k a yr
Tyres: a set is 40k but i change once in 3 yrs.. So dividing dat by 3 will be around 13k/yr
Servicing.. 20k/yr

Repairs.. Fortunately my vehicle doesnt give me issues to a point where i changed major parts. Just lose hoses, lose screws and other minor stuffs, calculating part changing as of 2019 for me hasn't been up to 10k, no kidding

Papers/documents.. Around 10k/year

CarWash/pump/patches/painting... I wash my ride myself, i have no reason to bribe any law official,
paints.. I got minor scratches i fixed since i love my vehicle in perfect shape, (all thanks to okada riders)
Tyres got minor repairs (Nail puncture mostly)..
All these.. Will put them around 10k

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by harlimy: 3:21pm On Dec 28, 2019
230k on fuel yearly
10k on servicing yearly
Car Wash - 4000 yearly (I wash my car)
I gave police 200 naira once

I use the small corolla

From my house to my gym is 25 minutes if I drive. If I don't, I'll pay N150 and use 1 hour. So everyday, I save at least 1 hr, 30 minutes.

Without my car, I'll spend at least 1k on transport daily that will be 356,000 yearly and over 356 productive hours.

So let's weigh things well.

5 Likes

Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by 9icetoo(m): 5:12pm On Dec 28, 2019
Eddee:

Accidents aren't fun at all.

Yeah, very true. Had a bike accident 2 years ago, was so shaken that it took me time to drive a vehicle. In short, I don't drive cars I'm not used to. I drive a Tacoma, IS250, 4runner, Corolla, Picnic, W211, M35 (anyone that's available) at home but will struggle to drive another person's same car. I need to get comfortable in a vehicle before driving it. I guess its mental, saw a shrink once and the babe bin too fine, so I no fit focus for the task at hand.
Interesting. Do Nigerians see shrinks? A fine one at that? Maybe I need to get my head examined. Care to share the address? smiley

1 Like

Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by Eddee(m): 6:28pm On Dec 28, 2019
9icetoo:

Interesting. Do Nigerians see shrinks? A fine one at that? Maybe I need to get my head examined. Care to share the address ? smiley

UCTH, she fine scarra but nothing dey dat head. Just normal verbatim self help. The usual "it's all in your head" line. Me no sha mind, the view up close was worth the four sessions I had.

1 Like

Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by radautoworks: 6:58pm On Dec 28, 2019
9icetoo:

Interesting. Do Nigerians see shrinks? A fine one at that? Maybe I need to get my head examined. Care to share the address? smiley

I did for a year during one of my stints in grad school and it's the best thing I ever did.
Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by weyreypey: 7:54pm On Dec 28, 2019
radautoworks:

I did for a year during one of my stints in grad school and it's the best thing I ever did.

Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by weyreypey: 7:56pm On Dec 28, 2019
Eddee:

Big man, All points correct. Save for this one. My M112 took exactly 8 litres of oil, for that I usually buy two cans. Cost only came down when I switched to 15w50 - and there are a lot more Mercs out there gulping oil like water.
Why not try Mobil 2000 5W30...
Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by Eddee(m): 8:18pm On Dec 28, 2019
weyreypey:

Why not try Mobil 2000 5W30...

Don’t own it anymore, and best believe my younger brother will use his father's favourite "Visco 2000" by Forte Oil by February/March next year.
Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by ndcide(m): 10:17pm On Dec 28, 2019
Honestly if your movement is solo, then then doing it with your personal car is more expensive. Let's not lie to ourselves.

In my office, very few people consistently use their cars daily. If it's convenient to use public transportation, use it. It's not cheaper going with your car most of the time.

Had to do some runs in the mainland today thank God I didn't drive myself .. I honestly wouldn't have loved to drive in the traffic I experienced between Charly boy and Oshodi, due to the road construction.

I had to resort to Opey bikes Same for Abule egba to Oshodi.. My guys who drove have finished one full tank of fuel..

When I was home chilling, they were still in the traffic between Lekki phase 1 and Ikate (for those who know what's happening there)

Let's not lie to ourselves. this car thing is just for pleasure and prestige.

Most of my colleagues who live at Ikorodu and work on the island, don't use their cars.

If you want to play the ostrich, go ahead.

The points by the @op, though a bit exaggerated, has real facts in it.
Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by weyreypey: 10:19pm On Dec 28, 2019
ndcide:
Honestly if your movement is solo, then then doing it with your personal car is more expensive. Let's not lie to ourselves.

In my office, very few people consistently use their cars daily. If it's convenient to use public transportation, use it. It's not cheaper going with your car most of the time.

Had to do some runs in the mainland today thank God I didn't drive myself .. I honestly wouldn't have loved to drive in the traffic I experienced between Charly boy and Oshodi, due to the road construction.

I had to resort to Opey bikes Same for Abule egba to Oshodi.. My guys who drove have finished one full tank of fuel..

When I was home chilling, they were still in the traffic between Lekki phase 1 and Ikate (for those who know what's happening there)

Most of my colleagues who live at Ikorodu and work on the island, don't use their cars.

Nigeria is far bigger than Lagos State just so you know.

4 Likes

Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by ndcide(m): 10:39pm On Dec 28, 2019
weyreypey:

Nigeria is far bigger than Lagos State just so you know.

True.. But my post is still valid.

I didn't live my entire life in Lagos.
Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by alphaNomega: 12:57am On Dec 29, 2019
Abfinest007:
if u think abt d cost of owing ur own car then think about d insult n time u will waste in picking a taxi

This does not make any sense kemosabe
Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by weyreypey: 5:55am On Dec 29, 2019
alphaNomega:

This does not make any sense abe
Of course it doesn't. Not everyone moves with dignity

5 Likes

Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by Stewart883(m): 6:07am On Dec 29, 2019
buygala:
With this country's battered public transport system, owning a car is as as basic a need as food, shelter and clothing...

The only problem is that most people don't cut their coat according to their cloth... If the cost of maintaining your car is so heavy on your pocket that you sometimes contemplate trekking instead, then you either have a money-pit car or your income simply cannot support owning that class of car... Best thing you can do at that stage is to change to a less problematic/cheaper to maintain car

I owned a Honda Accord 1994 model for about 7 years... And I never spent up to 50k per year for maintenance and repairs while I had it... Minus fuel of course since I can't expect the poor car to run on pure water grin

There are cheap, reliable and easy to maintain cars out there for every person in nearly every income bracket... You can't be earning 100k monthly and expect to be able to maintain an infinity G35 without going bankrupt.... Shoe get size grin

So as per the op's question..... I do not know how much I may have saved if I did not own a car because I do not know how much calamity I would have gotten into if I did not own a car

Thank you my brother. That's what they fail to understand. For me getting a car is far better than when I was jumping transportation because it very convenient and your white shirt remains white grin
Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by radautoworks: 6:08am On Dec 29, 2019
izzou:

Closed mind?

I have had flats few times on highways. And all I do is find a safe place to park. Read signs if there are any, and no one will obtain you

And I don't understand why you should be hitting someone. If you hit someone's car, the insurance should take care of it(third party or comprehensive).

And if you hit a human being few times in a year, you need medical help

Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by radautoworks: 6:11am On Dec 29, 2019
nurey:

My brother I have owned and maintained car when I was jobless, when I was earning 19800 as a corper and when hustling was the only job available to omo boy.

The way is not to buy a Bugatti with a budget of Kia Rio, MERCEDES ON TOYOTA BUDGET nothing good comes out of it.

I didn't spend 100k on the car in a year and for 6years I have only had 1 highway breakdown due to fuel pump failure and no lastma or police obtained me though I paid 1500 to the area boys that help me push the car to safety grin

FIXED IT grin
Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by 9icetoo(m): 7:14am On Dec 29, 2019
radautoworks:

FIXED IT grin
They are coming for you. grin
Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by radautoworks: 7:19am On Dec 29, 2019
9icetoo:

They are coming for you. grin

Me ke? Na wetin I do grin

Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by nurey(m): 8:40am On Dec 29, 2019
radautoworks:

FIXED IT grin
funny, is Toyota not more expensive than Mercedes Benz in Nigeria.

Luxury mixed with misery I stand with W12 grin

1 Like

Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by 9icetoo(m): 6:08pm On Dec 29, 2019
ndcide:

Ever seen victims of bike accidents?
These accidents occur at relatively low speeds but the outcomes are devastating.
I'd rather be in a car. No thanks.

1 Like

Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by 9icetoo(m): 6:10pm On Dec 29, 2019
radautoworks:

Me ke? Na wetin I do grin
You mentioned Mercedes in the same sentence as Toyota.
That is a crime in their world. Did you mention a w112? cheesy
Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by Millenniumlady(f): 1:32pm On Apr 22, 2020
weyreypey:

Nothing
Stop it.....it Never happened
Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by Kelvin30286063(m): 7:45am On Apr 23, 2020
Let me state this categorically that all those expenses you mention is totally worth it compared to what life is without a car.
I recently sold my car before the lockdown, hoping that I'll buy another one as soon as possible but the lockdown happened and I've been jumping bikes and taxi up and about. It's not fun.
Sometimes I want to go somewhere with my wife and we both sit on the same bike, it's so embarrassing to say the least
I'm just praying that Lagos state government can have mercy on my poor self and lift this lockdown. I'm tired!

I live in Ondo state by the way, where everywhere is in close proximity, now if we relate that to someone that lives in places like Lagos, you won't question the expenses of owning a car!
Re: Imagine You Never Owned A Car, How Much Would You Have Saved?.. by weyreypey: 9:27am On Apr 23, 2020
Kelvin30286063:
Let me state this categorically that all those expenses you mention is totally worth it compared to what life is without a car.
I recently sold my car before the lockdown, hoping that I'll buy another one as soon as possible but the lockdown happened and I've been jumping bikes and taxi up and about. It's not fun.
Sometimes I want to go somewhere with my wife and we both sit on the same bike, it's so embarrassing to say the least
I'm just praying that Lagos state government can have mercy on my poor self and lift this lockdown. I'm tired!

I live in Ondo state by the way, where everywhere is in close proximity, now if we relate that to someone that lives in places like Lagos, you won't question the expenses of owning a car!
Don't mind them. Okada accidents no be joke

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toyota Camry 05/06 Stereo / Should I Buy The Benz Or The Range Rover (pics) / Impacts Of Salvaged Cars To Human

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.