Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,697 members, 7,805,860 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us - Crime (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us (46055 Views)

RiverPoly Student Shot Dead In The Ogoni Crisis (Graphic Photo) / Burial Of Nkiruka, The Female Student Shot By Soldiers Announced / Final Year Mapoly Student Shot Dead By Suspected Cult Members - Graphic Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by obowunmi(m): 11:42pm On Dec 07, 2010
Im in Utah with the mormons.
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by stranger: 11:45pm On Dec 07, 2010
Dont think I know a Nigerian from Utah

I love mormons though, especially their red necks and work ethic.
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by obowunmi(m): 11:53pm On Dec 07, 2010
Do you like rap ?
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by stranger: 11:56pm On Dec 07, 2010
No!
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by Ndipe(m): 12:41am On Dec 08, 2010
tpia1:

it's generally not the norm, in the US.

In the instances where kids are identified as brilliant for their ages, they might be enrolled in a special program or special school with others who are the same. Not sure if that's what happened here.

bawomolo stated in one thread it took him 4.5 years to complete his first degree. And he categorically denied the possibility of getting an engineering degree in three years.

rather puzzling.

maybe it's easier in chicago, perhaps.

How can a stranger's educational achievements at a young age befuddle you.
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by stranger: 12:43am On Dec 08, 2010
^^^

. . . Because she finished HS at 21.
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by Idowuogbo(f): 12:44am On Dec 08, 2010
hehee dats not cute stranger grin grin grin grin
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by chiogo(f): 5:07am On Dec 08, 2010
tpia1:

not trying to argue here but simply attempting to work out this puzzle.

he came to the US at age 13, in 2002.

he should have been placed in eight or ninth grade, with his agemates.

to graduate 4-5 years later, at age 17 or 18.

now, unless he took college level courses while in high school [he denied that though] or was enrolled in a special school that allowed him to skip ahead of his grade.

the educational system could also vary by state perhaps.

anyway, dont mind me.

may he RIP.
Yes, it does vary by state. I came here when I was 13 too but they put me in the 9th grade because they thought I was too young for the 10th grade which is equivalent to Naija's SS1 although I did 9th grade(JSS3) in naija. But I have cousins who moved to Texas from naija and were kept in their original grades. Doesn't have to be a 'special school', some states just don't place a minimum age for HS graduation.

His birthday being in November too, I'm guessing he actually graduated at 14 in the summer of 2004 before he turned 15 in November of that yr. If he enrolled in college that same yr in September(fall), he was still 14 and graduated with his bachelors in 2008 probably in December rather than May, which is when it usually takes place. if so, it took him 4.5 years technically since Sept-Dec is a semester, which is half a yr of college. He turned 19 a month before he graduated.

I think that's what happened.
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by Nobody: 5:12am On Dec 08, 2010
^^ OH YEA, I forgot about that.

My lil sister is a yr behind because she was born on Dec, after the beginning of school. I believe to start kindergarten, you have to be 5 by the beginning of school yr.

@Post

RIP my dear. I know you're in a better place.
I feel it. Been talking to people, and I feel a lot better  smiley
One day, we'll meet to discuss this face 2 face.
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by chiogo(f): 5:18am On Dec 08, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

^^ OH YEA, I forgot about that.

My lil sister is a yr behind because she was born on Dec, after the beginning of school. I believe to start kindergarten, you have to be 5 by the beginning of school yr.

@Post

RIP my dear. I know you're in a better place.
I feel it. Been talking to people, and I feel a lot better  smiley
One day, we'll meet to discuss this face 2 face.
I'm happy to see you're smiling.
Remembering his personality alone puts a smile on my face too. He's definitely in a better place. smiley
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by Nobody: 5:37am On Dec 08, 2010
chiogo:

I'm happy to see you're smiling.
Remembering his personality alone puts a smile on my face too. He's definitely in a better place. smiley

They told me I was withdrawing. Even my mom started texting "I love you" every 1hr grin grin
Maybe it's because it's the first time I had to to deal with someone's death. I try not to remember anything, it's better that way.
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by tpia1: 9:23am On Dec 08, 2010
chiogo:

Yes, it does vary by state. I came here when I was 13 too but they put me in the 9th grade because they thought I was too young for the 10th grade which is equivalent to Naija's SS1 although I did 9th grade(JSS3) in naija. But I have cousins who moved to Texas from naija and were kept in their original grades. Doesn't have to be a 'special school', some states just don't place a minimum age for HS graduation.

His birthday being in November too, I'm guessing he actually graduated at 14 in the summer of 2004 before he turned 15 in November of that yr. If he enrolled in college that same yr in September(fall), he was still 14 and graduated with his bachelors in 2008 probably in December rather than May, which is when it usually takes place. if so, it took him 4.5 years technically since Sept-Dec is a semester, which is half a yr of college. He turned 19 a month before he graduated.

I think that's what happened.

you're probably right.

i did some checking and it seems some kids also leave high school early and take the geds instead of getting a diploma. Thus getting into college faster than their classmates.

i dont think that's the case here however.

some states just don't place a minimum age for HS graduation.

i guess.

there might be some merit in the US system of keeping kids with their agemates but since there are children who test above average, exceptions do have to be made perhaps.
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by dayokanu(m): 1:21pm On Dec 08, 2010
Some posters post beyond their age,

E.g Someone like Oyinda.
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by eldee(m): 2:45pm On Dec 08, 2010
I went to the Allhiphop Forum and checked out the thread set up for him, even the AAs admitted that it was sad.
So while we're here hating on them, they loved him too, probably as much as we did.
Every single person on that page admitted that it was a stupid and evil thing to do.
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by eldee(m): 2:45pm On Dec 08, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

They told me I was withdrawing. Even my mom started texting "I love you" every 1hr grin grin
Maybe it's because it's the first time I had to to deal with someone's death. I try not to remember anything, it's better that way.

Nice to see that you're even posting . . . baby steps cheesy
Tried to add you on Facebook, can't find the 'Add as Friend' link on your profile.

dayokanu:

E.g Someone like Oyinda.

How old is Oyinda. . . don't tell me I've been flirting with a minor?? shocked shocked
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by strangerf: 2:54pm On Dec 08, 2010
dayokanu:

E.g Someone like Oyinda.

you forgot to mention stranger

eldee:

Tried to add you on Facebook, can't find the 'Add as Friend' link on your profile.

How old is Oyinda. . . don't tell me I've been flirting with a minor?? shocked shocked

ME too. Couldnt add Ileke-leke-leke-Idi

And, yes, Oyinda is a minor. She just turned 12, 2 months ago
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by Sagamite(m): 2:55pm On Dec 08, 2010
eldee:

She is 14, you ffing sicko!!! tongue grin

eldee:

I went to the Allhiphop Forum and checked out the thread set up for him, even the AAs admitted that it was sad.
So while we're here hating on them, they loved him too, probably as much as we did.
Every single person on that page admitted that it was a silly and evil thing to do.

More evidence that this guy had a sharp mind.

He is obviously interested in popular culture i.e. Hip-hop and likes, but he still faced his studies intensely whilst indulging in his interest on the side.

He is not like the halftard black boys I see that all they know is making mix-tape, speaking poor english, smoking weed and sagging their trousers to their knees without any academic qualification/aspiration to build the mind or be a back-up to an aspiration in entertainment. Then we get reports of academic underachievement by black males because all want to be gangster rappers, DJs or footballers, leaving people with Bawo's academic achievement as exceptions in the community.
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by dayokanu(m): 3:43pm On Dec 08, 2010
eldee:

Oyinda is still in HS, She is 15. Have you been flirting with a minor?

strangerf:

ME too. Couldnt add Ileke-leke-leke-Idi

And, yes, Oyinda is a minor. She just turned 12, 2 months ago

Ileke-idi would turn 18 in February so she isnt that young. By February she would be legal, We are all queuing up
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by Glorya(f): 5:12pm On Dec 08, 2010
Rest in peace bro. Even though i never knew you, i'll miss u
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by MandingoII(m): 8:51pm On Dec 08, 2010
He is not like the halftard black boys I see that all they know is making mix-tape, speaking poor english, smoking weed and sagging their trousers to their knees without any academic qualification/aspiration to build the mind or be a back-up to an aspiration in entertainment. Then we get reports of academic underachievement by black males because all want to be gangster rappers, DJs or footballers, leaving people with Bawo's academic achievement as exceptions in the community

Whatever.

what has nigeria exported that's worthy of mention beside OIL. and even that goes to the Politicians that keep the money for themselves.

Escape to America at your peril.

Besides, it is Governmental/Corporate Structural Institutions that keep Black and Brown people impoverished and HATING on each other. Look at how Nigerian Tribes DETEST each other. Poverty breeds hatred. AND poverty can be an "impoverished mind" conditioned to self loathing.
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by Sagamite(m): 10:08pm On Dec 08, 2010
MandingoII:

Whatever.

what has nigeria exported that's worthy of mention beside OIL. and even that goes to the Politicians that keep the money for themselves.

Escape to America at your peril.

Besides, it is Governmental/Corporate Structural Institutions that keep Black and Brown people impoverished and HATING on each other. Look at how Nigerian Tribes DETEST each other. Poverty breeds hatred. AND poverty can be an "impoverished mind" conditioned to self loathing.

I did not even specify a community of people and you already jumped up to be defensive! undecided grin

I know and see a lot of Nigerian kids in London that do mixtapes, speak poor english, smoke weed and sag their trousers to their knees and aspire to be gangster rappers, DJs or footballers (which I meant the real one you use your foot for when I referred to it).

So why did you get defensive and attack Nigerians when I did not specify any target bar BLACK BOYS generally? You have some insecurities you wanna share.
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by Nobody: 12:48am On Dec 09, 2010
eldee:

Every single person on that page admitted that it was a silly and evil thing to do.

Of course, who wouldnt loff him? He's like honey attracting bees.

eldee:

Yea. You can PM me your addy anytime.
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by ceasyc(f): 3:08am On Dec 09, 2010
damn really sad. never wud have guessed dat he was dat young
or na person wey dey nl dem kill like dat. what a horrible way to depart d world

all these shootings n stabbings sef = God dey

R.I.P man. may God grant ur family d fortitude to bear d loss
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by Nobody: 6:53am On Dec 09, 2010
Oh what if he hadnt gone to lectures that day?
Or what if he had missed his bus?
What could 45mins-less have done?
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by spikedcylinder: 11:31am On Dec 09, 2010
When Oyinda originally joined this forum, i think she was about 11 or so. lol
And yea, she's a smart one.
Same goes for that hot-angel girl. She was 14 when she was very active here back then.
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by eldee(m): 12:33pm On Dec 09, 2010
spikedcylinder:

And yea, she's a smart one.
Same goes for that hot-angel girl. She was 14 when she was very active here back then.

Are you kidding me?? ?? ?? ?? shocked shocked shocked shocked
I had a discussion with her about 80s music and she made one comment that made me think I was talking to my mum.
I think she said. . . 'yeah . . . I see where you're coming from, every Nigerian teenager has a phase where all they listen to is hiphop music, nice to see that you've outgrown that' or sumn cheesy cheesy

I'm officially an Oyinda fan.
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by spikedcylinder: 1:33pm On Dec 09, 2010
Yea, Oyinda is quite young. And I'm sure she'll murder me for saying this. cheesy

Ileke, my dear, are you alright? smiley
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by oyinda3(f): 4:06pm On Dec 09, 2010
spikedcylinder:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked hehn? 11 ke? add several years to that.

oh dear. I am definitely not that young o.  spikey plz don't listen to dayokanu he's just fooling around (as usual smh). I'm way older than you probably think.

dayokanu why? I graduated HS many years ago and i'm definitely not 15 or a teenager for that matter. tufiakwa
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by oyinda3(f): 4:11pm On Dec 09, 2010
eldee:

I was just going through that site. Really sad.
I wish I had conversed with him more but no time for regrets now. may his soul RIP
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by dayokanu(m): 4:43pm On Dec 09, 2010
oyinda.:

oh dear. I am definitely not that young o. spikey plz don't listen to dayokanu he's just fooling around (as usual smh). I'm way older than you probably think.

dayokanu why? I graduated HS many years ago and i'm definitely not 15 or a teenager for that matter. tufiakwa

Liar liar. Oyinda says she is way older than 15 because she would turn 16 next July. Lol.

Just like Ibkaye would msay she is 40.

Tell ppl here the truth and dont get flirts like eldee into jail for predating on a minor
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by eldee(m): 4:52pm On Dec 09, 2010
oyinda.:

oh dear. I am definitely not that young o.  spikey plz don't listen to dayokanu he's just fooling around (as usual smh). I'm way older than you probably think.

Aiite . . . let's make this easy.
Hi. . . I'm El, big fan. . .how old are you?? cheesy cheesy
Re: A Nigerian Student Shot And Killed In Us by Sagamite(m): 5:14pm On Dec 09, 2010
eldee:

Aiite . . . let's make this easy.
Hi. . . I'm El, big fan. . .how old are you?? cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Prison Warder Reveals What He Does To The Food People Send To Prison / CCTV Captures Daylight Car Robbery In Lagos / Kidnapped Priest, CYRIACUS ONUNKWO, Dies (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.