Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,763 members, 7,802,332 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:35 PM

'2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader (19234 Views)

Senate Presidency: Shettima Appologises For Muslim Comment / Presidency: Shettima Tells Ezeife It’s Too Late To Kneel And Beg / North Will Field Better Candidate For 2023 Presidency – Shettima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by kingjrofficial(m): 11:14am On Dec 28, 2019
the truth hurts.....North can't be compared to South...,becoz south are not united!!
you can only hear of North, not Northeast or Northwest...but in south, u'll hear SS,SE,SW...WTF
but North is strictly North!! that's why they are very powerful in today's Nigeria politics!

Potential Northerners that can be President;
A.Abubakar
El-rufia
Kwankwaso

I'm a proud northerner!'
Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by Mrpojj(m): 11:19am On Dec 28, 2019
Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by VirginSearcher(m): 11:24am On Dec 28, 2019
kingjrofficial:
the truth hurts.....North can't be compared to South...,becoz south are not united!!
you can only hear of North, not Northeast or Northwest...but in south, u'll hear SS,SE,SW...WTF
but North is strictly North!! that's why they are very powerful in today's Nigeria politics!

A.Abubakar
El-rufia
Kwankwaso

I'm a proud northerner!'
Why are you guys afraid of Nigeria's separation?

1 Like

Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by rummmy: 11:28am On Dec 28, 2019
They sent this one to come and test talk to see people's reactions..............
Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by Tembebe: 11:30am On Dec 28, 2019
aspirebig:
If Nigeria truly belongs to all Nigerians.

Why can't a Benin/Igala/Oron/Akwa ibom/Calabar man be a President?

Are Nigerians truly free to live anywhere In the country?

Even those in powers still have the highest poverty, homeless and illiteracy index since independence. What an irony?
May the good Lord bless you for this comment.
All of them behaving and talking as if the rest of us aren't Nigerians too.All the main tribes have tasted power at one time or the other since independence.

1 Like

Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by Paseus(m): 11:30am On Dec 28, 2019
deltateam:

This aboki has just divided Nigeria into 2: North and South while Nigeria has 3 major ethnic groups. His gworo filled breath didn't take that into consideration neither did his myopic reasoning recognize that the North have ruled Nigeria more than enough from 1960 till date but he conveniently chose 1999 to favour them.

Damburu banka.
Take a chill pill Biko. Na politics no be race to enter heaven
Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by ItooWorWor(m): 11:33am On Dec 28, 2019
ZombieTERROR:

You want to rule too? grin
angry

2 Likes

Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by kingjrofficial(m): 11:33am On Dec 28, 2019
VirginSearcher:

Why are you guys afraid of Nigeria's separation?
I ain't scared.... if Nigeria is separated today, the north won't feel the heat like the Afonjas and Yemiris would feel...

so its a win-win situation for North...... the south so much depends on us morthan we depend on them...

and for the yemeriiis,lol! they can't just do without north, but we can do without em..

1 Like

Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by MondayOsunbor(m): 11:33am On Dec 28, 2019
77up:
shocked

Northern should find another country that them can rule forever na ? easy solution
Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by VirginSearcher(m): 11:34am On Dec 28, 2019
kingjrofficial:

I ain't scared.... if Nigeria is separated today, the north won't feel the heat like the Afonjas and Yemiris would feel...

so its a win-win situation for North...... the south so much depends on us morthan we depend and them...

and for the yemeriiis,lol! they can't just do without north, but we can do without em..
Alright, let's test and see, tell the illiterate president to give Igbo's Biafra

1 Like 1 Share

Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by castrol180(m): 11:34am On Dec 28, 2019
popsy2:
Maybe, just maybe, Nigeria's prosperity lies in the hands of an Igbo leadership. Our presidents have always come from the other ethnic groups and Nigeria has remained stagnant 50+ years post independence. An Igbo presidency might actually be the magic wand. Just maybe.

When I say Igbo leadership, I mean the likes of Peter Obi, Dave Umahi, Sulivan Chime etc. Not Rochas Okorocha, Theodore Orji, Ikpeazu etc.

Anyways, i don't know who needs this but if you are In need of CAC company registration, Business Name registration, Trustees, NGO, NAFDAC number on your products etc, talk to us at www. Lawlab. Com. ng
The interesting part is that consultation is free of charge. Yes! Free of charge.

If those you mentioned really have the capability to do so, then their respective states would have become paradise by now...Nigeria is not a business platform.
Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by morganwizzy55(m): 11:36am On Dec 28, 2019
Too long to read
Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by kingjrofficial(m): 11:36am On Dec 28, 2019
VirginSearcher:

Alright, let's test and see, tell the illiterate president to give Igbo's Biafra
then hunger will kill all the Igbo's within an annum.... North is Richer and populous than any region, so We don't givva phuck about the Yemiriis

1 Like

Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by orisa37: 11:38am On Dec 28, 2019
Just being Realistic
Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by Fuckgovt: 11:39am On Dec 28, 2019
Nigeria may never move forward if d north keeps ruling. Most of their leaders are senseless

1 Like

Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by david102(m): 11:40am On Dec 28, 2019
There some interviews that shouldn't be on air at all for the sake of the unity of the country.
Some people thinks that because they are in some kind of position they can open their mouth and say anything.

We should be thinking of a way forward rather than which tribe or ethnic group should rule.

#forwardever

1 Like

Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by MRAKBEE(m): 11:40am On Dec 28, 2019
valentineuwakwe:

Source: https://punchng.com/2023-is-not-right-time-for-igbo-presidency-shettima-arewa-youth-consultative-forum-leader/
This man talks rubbish.. I see no sense in what he said. How can the educated illiterate argue that northerners are not beneficiaries of this administration?
Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by wink2015(m): 11:45am On Dec 28, 2019
During a recent interview, the leader of Arewa Youth Consultative Forum, Yerima Shettima, tells LAWRENCE MIKE that the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), should be succeeded by another northerner in 2023, adding that the region would find a consensus candidate for the next presidential election.

You said constitutional democracy was about people and numbers and that a northerner should succeed the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), in 2023, when Buhari, a northerner would have spent two terms of eight years, how do you think Nigerians will react to your statement?

What I said in the video was the reality. I know we need to work together as a country, but you also know that anything about democracy has to do with the number of people as the majority vote carries the resolution.

Some people felt your statement was borne from a belief in the North that the region was more relevant than others…

That’s not true. If there’s any region that has sacrificed more for the country, it’s the North. The North has done more than any other region. There was no time when northerners felt it was only about them and did everything in favour of the North. If you look at this administration, you will see that the South is more favoured. It is unlike when Goodluck Jonathan was the President and people from the Niger Delta and the minority tribes benefitted more. During the Chief Olusegun Obasanjo administration, it was almost like that.

You said the North would produce a competent candidate in the 2023 presidential election unlike who is there now, are you saying that Major General Buhari (retd.), is not competent?

It is the team he is working with. Government is about inclusiveness and once you have a team that does not have competence in many areas and only believe in themselves – just few of them to run the country – then, there is a problem.

So you are saying that the present regime is not really competent …

The President cannot work alone without having teams to work with him, but some self-centered individuals satisfy their interest without thinking of the overall interest of the country.

Don’t you think the clamour by some people like you that the North should retain presidency beyond 2023 will further threaten the peace of the country?

That’s not true. Why should justice become a threat to the unity of the country? From 1999 till date, how many years have we (northerners) been in power? Southerners have been in power for almost 16 years, from 1999 till date. We’ll have only about nine years if Buhari successfully finishes his tenure, so where is justice in that? We only demand justice; we are not asking for too much.

The southeasterners feel they have been marginalised and want the presidency to come to them in 2023, are you saying they do not have genuine claims?

They can’t claim to be marginalised; after all by extension, Jonathan is from South-East as his name is also Azikiwe. The fact that he adopted Edwin Clark as his father does not make him a complete Ijaw man. The South-East even benefited more from his regime than any other region so they can’t claim to be marginalised. However, I’m sure they are saying they need someone directly from the South-East. If that’s what they are asking for, can they have it? Yes, with time, they can have it. I will be one of those who will support and also work to have a President from the South-East when the time comes but it’s not yet time; they must be able to put their house in order first and control the excesses of some of their children who go about abusing the sensibilities of Nigerians by threatening the unity of the country.

When that is done, they will be trusted and when there’s trust, people will support them. You cannot threaten people over and over and think it can be done by threatening and blackmailing them.

How do you think the southeasterners will react to your statement?

You cannot be making threats as if people scared of you and think you will just be given power. People are civilised. You think people will just fold their hands and give you power because you are threatening to break the country up; it’s not done anywhere.

They should control the excesses of the person making the threats or is he above that? They should be bold enough to come out and say, ‘This man does not speak for us.’ They should condemn him.

Many people believe your recent comments insult the sensibilities of other regions and that you appear to think they are fools…

I don’t know what they think about that but nobody thinks they are fools. We are Nigerians; it’s about politics. It’s about interests and politics is about interests.

Some people will tell you that President Jonathan represented the South-South while Obasanjo represented the South-West, but no southeasterner has been President since Nigeria returned to democracy. What do you think about that?

That’s their opinion; our opinion is that Jonathan, to an extent, was an Igbo candidate and he served the interest of Igbo and the South-South.

Some people believe you are working for the Kaduna State Governor, Nasir el-Rufai, as they think the North is preparing him to succeed Buhari in 2023, how would you react to that?

El-Rufai has never been my friend. Despite the fact that he’s my governor, I have never met him for once in my life. Anybody who thinks I work for him, it is their opinion. I don’t work for anyone. The decision (about presidential candidate) will be made by the North; we will have consultations and agree on who will be presented as our candidate when the time comes. It is not going to be about parties or the All Progressives Congress and the Peoples Democratic Party. It will go beyond that. We will look for the best candidate that will serve the interest of the country and competence will also be considered.

You said the North did not benefit from the administrations of Jonathan and Obasanjo…

If they have done well for the North, perhaps we wouldn’t have been where we are today. They did their best but it was not enough compared to what they did in their regions.

But you said Buhari isn’t meeting the needs of the North too…

He has not met them; in fact, he serves the interests of the South-West more than the interests of the North. The South-West is a direct beneficiary of this administration because they occupy strategic positions while the North is left with nothing other than the Presidency.

You said President Goodluck Jonathan shouldn’t have contested the 2011 presidential election…

If the spirit of rotational presidency existed during the Jonathan era, he wouldn’t have contested in 2011; he would have allowed the North to continue and finish their tenure. At least, he had spent three years out of Umaru Yar’Adua’s administration. He should have allowed another northerner to run and let his party understand that. That would have been equity, fairness and justice.

Don’t you think ethnicity is one of the biggest problems we have in Nigeria?

One day we shall overcome the issue of ethnicity but as it is today, it is the major issue before us. Someday, I pray and hope that we overcome the issue of regionalism, but the reality is that currently, we cannot put the cart before the horse. The reality is that we are divided and a lot of things are not right in the country, so everybody thinks about where they come from. Although I represent a particular interest from the northern part of the country, that does not mean I don’t believe in this country.

For the sake of argument, if a northerner becomes the President in 2023, what will stop the person from seeking another term in office in 2027, and another northerner from coming in 2031?

You can trust us; we are a people with integrity and principles. Our orientation and belief help us to stand by our word, so you can be sure that after one term, we will support any candidate that the South will produce and ensure that they get into office, by God’s grace.

And you think people will actually believe that such a person will not want to go for another term in office?

I doubt it very much. If he goes for a second term in office, we will fight him.

Are you saying the next presidential candidate must be from the North even if an obviously more suitable candidate emerges from the South?

Time and event will clearly define all of this when the time comes but as it is today; this is what we think and how we feel.

Is this view coming from the mindset some northerners have that they are born to rule?

I’m not aware of the ‘born to rule’ mindset. Whoever said it is in a better position to explain it. I don’t know anyone who said that.

What is your opinion of the Buhari regime?

Well, expectations are high and they have not been met. We are worried and concerned that a lot of things are not being properly done. Every Nigerian is worried that all is not well; the level of abject poverty and backwardness is high. Our economy is in a bad shape and we are heavily indebted. There is insecurity in the entire country, but we cannot say that there is no hope. But as at today, there are reasons to be concerned. Every meaningful Nigerian should be worried and concerned about this nation.

If someone from a region other than the North wins the 2023 presidential election, do you think northerners will accept the person?

Why not, if the election is free and fair?

Source: https://punchng.com/2023-is-not-right-time-for-igbo-presidency-shettima-arewa-youth-consultative-forum-leader/

Foundational or constitutional problems is worrying Nigeria.

It is not only about where the President should comes from or who will be the next president that is the main issue.

Nigeria has problems rooted in resource control, fiscal federalism, true federalism, fairness and justice based on resource control. Hence, the need for restructuring and the clamour for the 2014 national conference report should be revisited.

States that are not contributing to the national cake want to have access to funds not coming from their area.

The northerners still want to maintain the unitary system imposed on Nigeria by the military in 1966 just because it gives them access to the money from the south.

PRESIDENT MUHAMMADU BUHARI DID SOMETHING VERY SILLY LATELY WITHOUT EVEN CONSULTING WITH THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY.

While in Egypt on a trip he promised the world that Nigeria will be provide VISA FREE ENTRY or VISA ON ARRIVAL to other Africans which suggest he will use this free entry to open Nigeria 's door to Nigerien, Malians, Chadians, Fulani to come and swell our population increasing the rate of crimes and civil tension in the land.
Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by popsy2(m): 11:48am On Dec 28, 2019
castrol180:

If those you mentioned really have the capability to do so, then their respective states would have become paradise by now...Nigeria is not a business platform.

Granted, no state is a paradise. But if any state is close, I think it is Ebonyi state.

With the meagre resources at his disposal, Umahi has transformed Ebonyi state greatly. Same way Sulivan did in Enugu. Peter Obi is an astute leader when it comes to economic management.

What is lacking in some of the states is continum. Successors inability to sustain the tempo.
Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by VirginSearcher(m): 11:50am On Dec 28, 2019
kingjrofficial:
[s]then hunger will kill all the Igbo's within an annum.... North is Richer and populous than any region, so We don't givva phuck about the Yemiriis[/s]
You are funny.. this shows you don't know Igbo's as the most industrious tribe in Nigeria , let me tell u.. depending on looted government funds doesn't make u rich but your ability to think out rich ideas that would enrich u, ask developed nations u'll understand.. as per population that's among the reason the dullard Buhari made Nigeria visa free so that your terrorist blood sucking brothers can enter.. you people will fail! angry
Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by joepepsy(m): 11:50am On Dec 28, 2019
Tell me one state in South east that is well govern,just love to deceive yourselves.
popsy2:
Maybe, just maybe, Nigeria's prosperity lies in the hands of an Igbo leadership. Our presidents have always come from the other ethnic groups and Nigeria has remained stagnant 50+ years post independence. An Igbo presidency might actually be the magic wand. Just maybe.

When I say Igbo leadership, I mean the likes of Peter Obi, Dave Umahi, Sulivan Chime etc. Not Rochas Okorocha, Theodore Orji, Ikpeazu etc.

Anyways, i don't know who needs this but if you are In need of CAC company registration, Business Name registration, Trustees, NGO, NAFDAC number on your products etc, talk to us at www. Lawlab. Com. ng
The interesting part is that consultation is free of charge. Yes! Free of charge.

1 Like

Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by technicallyrich(m): 11:51am On Dec 28, 2019
Chukapage:
atleast you didn't say "we the SS" keep famzing SS vote for you ,in your derranged skull. I'm even Surprised that you didn't vote Abubakar Shekau over Good luck Jonathan Afonja forming threats grin LMAO!
dontt mind the coward,after betraying we the ijaws and other ss and se people they now say ss and middle belt that they support how the foolanis are taking over their ancestrial land.
We go see.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by popsy2(m): 11:54am On Dec 28, 2019
joepepsy:
Tell me one state in South east that is well govern,just love to deceive yourselves.

Ebonyi state. Take that to the bank.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by VirginSearcher(m): 11:55am On Dec 28, 2019
joepepsy:
If it's like that, how many South West and Northern States are well governed too? don't talk about Lagos it is everyone's territory

1 Like 1 Share

Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by madridsta007(m): 11:57am On Dec 28, 2019
valentineuwakwe:

"they can’t claim to be marginalised; after all by extension, Jonathan is from South-East as his name is also Azikiwe. The fact that he adopted Edwin Clark as his father does not make him a complete Ijaw man. "

This is the new narrative they want to push to counter any challenge for Igbo Presidency.
1. That Jonathan, a full-fledged Ijaw man from Bayelsa is actually from the South East. (Notice that he does not give the state this South Eastern Jonathan is from)
2. That Jonathan was adopted by Edwin Clarke in order to pretend that he is an Ijaw man.
3. That Jonathan, whose parents named him Azikiwe after Nnamdi Azikiwe, was actually named Azikiwe because he is from the South East.

I suspect this false, denigrating, insulting downright silly propaganda must have come from Nasir El Rufai's team. They are excellent with manufacturing falsehoods. And pushing it as "truth". But this time around, Nigerians are prepared and waiting for them.
Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by Jaapu: 11:59am On Dec 28, 2019
jconsulting:
This is one of the most foolish person in the North, come and take it in 2023 and let us see.......Is the South turn either you like it or not......Is your luck that you put incompetent there as your turn

Which part of the south? grin
Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by joepepsy(m): 12:00pm On Dec 28, 2019
This is my point,they are all same,even if father mbaka is the president nothing will change,is not about the political elite,our problem is we've lost family and social values.
VirginSearcher:

If it's like that, how many South West and Northern States are well governed too? don't talk about Lagos it is everyone's territory
Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by Nobody: 12:01pm On Dec 28, 2019
And I quote since they heard power for the last couple of years what have they achieved? In terms of poverty in the region they are number one,in illiteracy , Human rights abuses,girl child marriage,the north remains undeveloped till today ,and I ask why do they need power so much? Anyways the east don't need presidency BIAFRA MUST BE RESTORED
Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by VirginSearcher(m): 12:05pm On Dec 28, 2019
joepepsy:
This is my point,they are all same,even if father mbaka is the president nothing will change,is not about the political elite,our problem is we've lost family and social values.
Something will change if we put the right person who is free from cabals there
Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by kingjrofficial(m): 12:07pm On Dec 28, 2019
VirginSearcher:

You are funny.. this shows you don't know Igbo's as the most industrious tribe in Nigeria , let me tell u.. depending on looted government funds doesn't make u rich but your ability to think out rich ideas that would enrich u, ask developed nations u'll understand.. as per population that's among the reason the dullard Buhari made Nigeria visa free so that your terrorist blood sucking brothers can enter.. you people will fail! angry
show me any IPOB state better than Gombe&Kaduna in Infrastructure.... or better than Benue, Taraba, Nasarawa & Adamawa in Agriculture ( Rice,Wheat, Beans,Maize,Groundnut,Cattle,Fishing)? ¿

and I'll believe that the Yemiris are better than North...... North is the real Nigeria, deal wit this!!!

1 Like

Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by joepepsy(m): 12:08pm On Dec 28, 2019
You think obasanjo,Jonathan,yaradua..didn't try their best? Our problem is bigger than you think.
VirginSearcher:

Something will change if we put the right person who is free from cabals there
Re: '2023 Is Not Right Time For Igbo Presidency' – Shettima, A. Y. C. F. Leader by technicallyrich(m): 12:08pm On Dec 28, 2019
kingjrofficial:

A.Abubakar
El-rufia
Kwankwaso

I'm a proud northerner!'
for your mind.
Northis diffrent from middle belt i hope you know that.
North is basically nw and ne.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

S84(12): Supreme Court Strikes Out Buhari, Malami's Suit On Electoral Act / Rabiu Kwankwaso Speaking Live At Chatham House / Fashola Inspects Failed Portion Of Apap-ijora Bridge In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.