Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,872 members, 7,802,808 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:09 PM

How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? (33270 Views)

Slave Masters At Work Place / My Ugly Experience On My First Day At Work. / How Can I Handle This Particular Situation In My Place Of Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by Writercruze: 5:43pm On Dec 28, 2019
Sack everybody and carryout a fresh recruitment
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Dec 28, 2019
kunleweb:

Fire all workers that can be fired. Keep only that your mom's sister. By diluting the workspace, the seed of greed and bad attitudes is eradicated. Move the woman who's related to you to another department that doesn't deal with managing people and handling money

You see why a mentor or consultant should be hired. I just solved this nagging issue in just few minutes.

You'll need a consultant for the long haul. I recommend it.

Be on the watch out for revenge/diabolical attacks

You don't have a strategy. You need a strategy which I won't say here. Get a consultant to oversee your running of affairs in the school.

No wonder your father died, a good person won't last long in such a toxic place. Who knows what killed the man if they aren't the ones

He will need to be on the watch for diabolical attacks only if he starts firing people unnecessarily. Nobody needs to be fired because they worked well with his father. He should manage them well and make them work well for him like they worked with his father.
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by apatheticme(f): 5:45pm On Dec 28, 2019
Jokerman:
I only shouted at the security man once coz I asked him to do something. He didn't coz I believe he's listening to talks. I have always asked him to flash my number when he doesn't understand something Buh he wouldn't... The next time I asked him to do something, and he refused blatantly, that's he's doing his job and his reason in front of other staff was that he didn't like the way I talked to him.. I wanted to call his company Buh my mom is saying I shouldn't although I would still change him

I feel he's feeling he's older than me, and I can't be ordering him around.

I stopped the collection of fees by this staff because they were using the money anyhow, borrowing other staff money and other people in the vicinity, so much it became a laughing stock. So when I assumed this post, I sent bulk messages to all our parents that school fees to any staff is stopped. Some found it hard to stop, hence why I introduced strictness

Now they go spoiling me this and that. I hear this stuff but I pay no attention to that. At my front, they behave, at my back, Na so so talk

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:45pm On Dec 28, 2019
Swargu:
Introduce monthly sacking and recruitment they will behave

Not good for the school business, it takes children 3 months to get used to a teacher.

Changing teachers every month will adversely affect the pupils

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by icedbreez(m): 5:46pm On Dec 28, 2019
don't do too much too soo. consolidate power and the boy ll become a man with time.
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by Twins86: 5:48pm On Dec 28, 2019
Have you heard of best staff of the month. It comes with benefits like 5k or 10k. The staff pictures will be placed in front of the school for all parents to see

I tell you, you will see all of them strugglling to get to that position and they will start behaving well

Good luck

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by tiger28: 5:48pm On Dec 28, 2019
BIGGEST advice.......ARM yourself!!!
These guys can KILL you, I have been there. They will do ANYTHING to get you out of their illegal MEAL. Nigerians are Very wicked, yet we attend Church and Mosques MORE than Arabs and Europeans.
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by Jokerman(m): 5:48pm On Dec 28, 2019
DenreleDave:

Toor I av told him my own..jokerman try compromise with ur staff.. For the money issue, u r right but try treat other things with care.. Don't be to disciplined.. Don't scatter ur father school Cox of ur discipline.. U av done no wrong and at the same time chill down... People of the world will take offence even if u r right

Thanks yiu are right
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by inception101(m): 5:50pm On Dec 28, 2019
Sack all of them without looking back.
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by Jokerman(m): 5:50pm On Dec 28, 2019
healthserve:

I wish I could tell him to investigate what killed his father. And that people die even in their own affairs from issues like this. Overall I don't see only bad staffs, I see an immature handler here. That's all I see. And if he's not smart, they'll do him harm.

Cc Jokerman. Can we talk? Can I have your undivided attention?

Yep I'm here
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by healthserve(m): 5:51pm On Dec 28, 2019
Jokerman:

Yep I'm here

Before I say anything, what age range did your dad die and were the circumstances that surrounded his death shady?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by Jokerman(m): 5:52pm On Dec 28, 2019
mrsteel:

@bold what were staff children paying before?

The school fees is 25k, they pay 20 then...now o reduced it to 12 or 13
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by jagaban002(m): 5:53pm On Dec 28, 2019
You not fit for the post so talking all the teachers as enemy will be bad for you also because it can depreciate the popularity of the sch , need to be closer to the old staffs and study the bad eggs among them and flosh them out but u can’t sack them all just the bad ones , that’s how order can be mentain
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:53pm On Dec 28, 2019
Writercruze:

Sack everybody and carryout a fresh recruitment

It does not work that way, he can have a two to three year plan of how to replace maybe 60% of the work force

He should train those that are retrainable
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by DavidEsq(m): 5:55pm On Dec 28, 2019
OluwaWizzy:
Hello OP,
As much as this concerns leadership, it still boils down to people management.

In management communication, there is a concept called "bottom to top" & "top to bottom"
As a top executive of the organisation, create a platform for engagement with all staff. Use the approach of growth as it concerns you, the students and the staff.

Clearly state how you seek to build structure for the organisation. Also attend leadership and management workshop, not neglecting your subordinate to drink out of the knowledge river as well.

On the contrary, do you really shout at staff??
What exactly have u said now? Na so all these motivational speakers use take chop ppl money anyhow. Awon scam
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by sanusianangi: 5:57pm On Dec 28, 2019
All ur actions are in the same track, my brother let me tell u if possible sack them all and make a fresh intake of Teachers if not all ur effort will be in vain. However, the ego u took is good decision if not they will turn the school as family enterprise. Henceforth u shldnt allow any staff to collect any pinch from the parent of ur ward. God bless ur effort, God bless ur Establishment yo a greater high.
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by dochenaj: 5:57pm On Dec 28, 2019
Jokerman:
I only shouted at the security man once coz I asked him to do something. He didn't coz I believe he's listening to talks. I have always asked him to flash my number when he doesn't understand something Buh he wouldn't... The next time I asked him to do something, and he refused blatantly, that's he's doing his job and his reason in front of other staff was that he didn't like the way I talked to him.. I wanted to call his company Buh my mom is saying I shouldn't although I would still change him

I feel he's feeling he's older than me, and I can't be ordering him around.

I stopped the collection of fees by this staff because they were using the money anyhow, borrowing other staff money and other people in the vicinity, so much it became a laughing stock. So when I assumed this post, I sent bulk messages to all our parents that school fees to any staff is stopped. Some found it hard to stop, hence why I introduced strictness

Now they go spoiling me this and that. I hear this stuff but I pay no attention to that. At my front, they behave, at my back, Na so so talk
You should not be worried about people that talk at your back. It shows you're still the boss.

If they start talking to your front, then there is fire on the mountain.

Right now I don't think you have a real problem. Treat them with the golden rule, and everything will work out for you.

I don't believe the guy is disrespectful because he thinks he's older than you, that would be ridiculous. It is a workplace and not village town meeting.
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by eyinjuege: 5:57pm On Dec 28, 2019
Jokerman:

You shouldn't be moved by side talk. The school is your inheritance, guard it jealously and take it to a higher standard than your parents ever could.
Majority of the staff there don't give a rat's ass about your father's business. It's left to you.
Don't forget, whether oga makes money or not, the wages of his staff must be complete.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by wirinet(m): 6:00pm On Dec 28, 2019
I have run different companies for the past 20 years. Present on run a business i have 12 people on my pay roll, so when I talk I am talking with experience.

Now repeat after me...
I am the boss
I am the boss
I am the boss

After that sinks in and you now believe that you are boss and final responsibly for the business lies with you, start behaving like the boss.

Anyone that challenge your authority or defy your official instruction should be fired.

Tell your mom, that you are the boss, and the responsibility for the success or failure of the business lies on your head.

You need to change key senior management staff, like the head teacher. Since you are young and inexperienced, the tendency is for staff to remain loyal to the senior management staffs, and they would be trying to undermine your authority.

Carry out a recruitment exercise or at least threaten to carry one out. There are tons of applicants looking for jobs. You will even be overwhelmed by the turnout. The old staff would see that hundreds are ready to take their place and start feeling threatened, they feel too comfortable and secure.

After all these try and communicate with the staffs directly, always ask them their opinions before taking major decisions. Also try and give some incentives no matter how small, to loyal and hard workers.
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by Jokerman(m): 6:01pm On Dec 28, 2019
healthserve:

Before I say anything, what age range did your dad die and were the circumstances that surrounded his death shady?

To be honest he was really telling this staff to stop collecting the fees, Buh they wouldn't just stop. Before he died he told me to make sure o did so, and even after he died, he still appeared to me about the money collection stuff
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Dec 28, 2019
My brother, pay the old staffs off and thank me later.

I have been in the same situation with you, I did that and I Never regretted the move ..... because you wouldn't have 100 percent loyalty of the old staffs. They will become principalities and power. Choice is yours anyway
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by healthserve(m): 6:03pm On Dec 28, 2019
Jokerman:

To be honest he was really telling this staff to stop collecting the fees, Buh they wouldn't just stop. Before he died he told me to make sure o did so, and even after he died, he still appeared to me about the money collection stuff

I need your undivided attention. You're in a position that is not good for your safety. And people fight back diabolical to protect themselves. Can we rub minds together privately. Free of charge?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by charles009(m): 6:04pm On Dec 28, 2019
Some years ago I was sent to man a branch where there was an issue. I noticed the security personnels were already doubling as admin staffs, so they were ashamed to wear uniforms.

I quickly summoned the entire team, and informed them that things will be done a little differently henceforth. I also conveyed my expectations expect everyone to conduct his/herself in the best possible way.

A few complied, others blatantly refused, I came to work on a certain monday and recommended 6 of the erring staff be removed, infact my MD called and was very angry with me for not doing that earlier.

Sack and replace all of them. ALL

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by Jayess: 6:07pm On Dec 28, 2019
If you can follow these simple processes you will have a happy School, but I will have to scold you first, leadership is not about giving orders in fact a super leader doesn't give order.... You need to attend leaders seminar and learn, don't let the post get in your head.

Now to my advice
1). Called them one by one (individually and privately) and talk apologetically to them. E.g I might have offended you in some ways, but you know nobody is perfect and blah blah blah.

2). Do something extrasalary for them like hold a meeting to appreciate them and give them the hampers or whatever...

3). Never scold any of your employees publicly, it's not the character of a good leader.

4). Be the last person to speak on every issue.
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by zoezoelogistics(m): 6:09pm On Dec 28, 2019
Oga boss, you are doing fine, but you can do better I believe.

Try not to be bossy
Try to be an effective leader
Communicate more
People management is a must have skill.

Whatever you do, don’t sack them all, you need them to succeed, all you need do is to WIN THEIR TRUST.

If you sack them as some people here are advising trust me that might mean the beginning of the end for the organization, even you admitted that they have strong bond with parents and members of the environment, they can easily set the school up for failure , trust me they have nothing to loose.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by okeke6969: 6:10pm On Dec 28, 2019
The answer is very simple, this is what you should do.
place an advert for teachers recruitment in a place very close to the entrance of the school.
Now, grant interview for those who came, tell them you will get to them.
Let us see if those your teacher would not sit tight.
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by charles009(m): 6:12pm On Dec 28, 2019
Jayess:
If you can follow these simple processes you will have a happy School, but I will have to scold you first, leadership is not about giving orders in fact a super leader doesn't give order.... You need to attend leaders seminar and learn, don't let the post get in your head.

Now to my advice
1). Called them one by one (individually and privately) and talk apologetically to them. E.g I might have offended you in some ways, but you know nobody is perfect and blah blah blah.

2). Do something extrasalary for them like hold a meeting to appreciate them and give them the hampers or whatever...

3). Never scold any of your employees publicly, it's not the character of a good leader.

Talking to them apologetically is absolute gibberish and utter nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Dec 28, 2019
Jayess:

Now to my advice

Trashy advise from pillage.
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by chukzyfcbb: 6:13pm On Dec 28, 2019
Well You did wrong by scolding the security guy in the open,
You should have accorded him so respect by calling him to your office privately or doing such in a secluded area.

Also you can't win against all teachers, kids will go home and tell thier parents that mommy our school has sacked almost half of our teachers, and that will send a red flag that there is internal crisis.

Some of those teachers have a soft spot within parents heart. Sending majority of them away won't go down well when discussed in the PTA meeting.

You need better collaboration, so I agree to setting up a meeting. The school fees collection style you changed was adept, you need visibility to be able to manage funds. Kudos to that.

However cultivate the habit of correcting in private, I don't even scold my younger siblings infront of thier friends , I do it in private because I don't want them to feel embarassed.....I know how that can be

Lastly read books on leadership because managing people is the toughest thing to do.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by DaRuud(m): 6:13pm On Dec 28, 2019
That's the same thing that is affecting Nigeria now , too many Cabals , Abba Kyari , Mamman Daura , gossipers , eye sevicers and the untouchables.

May God see you through , but just be careful .

Jokerman:
Hello. I need advice on this topic

About a year ago, my Dad died, being an owner of a primary school with my mom, thereafter o assumed head of the school, although I run my own freelance engineering installation and maintenance service on HVACs and Diesel engines.

In course of this education line, I'm obtaining my certificate in PGDE( in view).

Now this is the case...

There are some old staff in the school then whom use to collect school fees on behalf of the school and you know Nigerians, instead of remitting the fees to the school, they divert and scam and even go as far as lending money to different people in the vicinity.

However since I took over, I forcefully stopped the collection, and redirected all fees to be paid at the bank. Mhen, it was not small trouble, fight, gossiping, spoiling me at the back etc, but I never listened to such, and right now no one collects these fees again... Everything goes through me coz I'm trying to sanitize it. I also required the services of a registered security company operator (sheriff deputies) for the school

Problems I needed advice

1. Sometimes these rebellion. They gossip and talk evil to people that I'm very harsh etc

2. I have changed 2 security operators because of compromises with these staff. I will give instruction, Buh those they'd do otherwise and bend to what other older staff tell them. Recently, the present security did something contrary and I scolded him toughly. Recently, he had an alteration with a parent and I asked him to just plead with her. He refused blatantly. I was surprised and even my mom too. He said he doesn't like the way I scold him and that's why bla bla bla, infront of all other staff. My mom asked me not to change him Buh I'm skeptical

I already feel like changing him with his company supervisor coz he lives around the vicinity and he now gossips with those old staff who might be telling him I'm too young to order him to do things

4. These old staffs are like friends to my mom and they already carry a lot of influence with most of the parents (which I also cut off too). One of them is wife to my mom's brother

5. My mother has been telling me to be patient even my wife. I do not want to employ an headteacher until I change a lot of things

The school has about 300-350 pupils, and employs 18 staff

Advice needed
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by Twenehe: 6:14pm On Dec 28, 2019
oga, give them time everything will soon be over because they will soon get to it and dont sack any staff unless you want the parent to see you as the bad egg.
inasmuch as they are doing the right thing in your presence i swear that is a positive thing... never mind their gossip,no mind it they do it within themselves. more blessing.
Re: How Do I Handle This Issue At Work? by bolousadex: 6:16pm On Dec 28, 2019
..don't be too quick to sack or make immediate change. It will backfire. keep

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady "Wows" Interviewer With Her Perfect English Speaking Skills (Vid) / Recruitment @ Ministry Of Interior (M O I) / Captain N-Power To Catch Beneficiaries Earning From Other Employment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.