Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,832 members, 7,802,668 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:32 PM

12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation (7849 Views)

Why You Have Never Heard Of An Igbo Empire. / Important Drums Of The Yoruba People / 6 Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Marriage Process In Hausa Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by Olu317(m): 1:43pm On Jan 05, 2020
gregyboy:

Bini is a poutuguese word dont mistake it

Edo is a benin word
Lol. So, 1480s of Bini contact with Portuguese is older than contact Between Bini's Contact with Yorubas? You're too funny grin cheesy . In fact, Yoruba had contact with Potoki before Bini. grin grin. And had contact with Portuguese before Oviedos of Igodomigodo and Oma Binis

Beside this, Portuguese explorer Rui de Sequeira visited Lagos in 1472, naming the area around the city Lago de Curamo. which is the reason, it is always true that Oviedos in your rank are revisionists.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by cbrass(m): 4:24pm On Jan 05, 2020
gregyboy:

Bini is a poutuguese word dont mistake it

Edo is a benin word

See lies o, after now, you will be abusing somebody for lying, imagine!!! Every Ibini person knows that Ibini is Yoruba word, even Ewuare 1 tried in vain to eradicate the name

3 Likes

Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by TAO11(f): 4:55am On Jan 06, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol, very funny and cunny fellow you're

all written records of the whitemen in Benin were account wriiten on what the whitemen saw and not what they heard ,

[s]You see why you can never be good is because one you will akways find ways to cover the loop holes in yoruba history becauss of so much lies in it ,and the painful thing is you will find way to drag benin into it, the second things is you always quote writeups that suits you and neglect other ones that dont suit you....[/s]

Guy if you ever talk about egharvbas writeup again after all benin scholars have pointed out the writeup was false account ,
You will never get a reply from me again

Firstly, what do you mean by cunny, you dummy??

Secondly, you lied again (as expected) where you wrote that the Europeans' writings was not from the words of Binis, but only from their actions that they observed. I wonder how this even makes any case in your favor. But nevertheless a refutation of this lie is attached below.

Thirdly, regarding the bolded portion of your crossed-out rant, can you then quote the write ups that doesn't suit me which I often avoid?? What have you been waiting for?? That's the whole point of this exchange, isn't it??

Lastly, regarding the foremost and world-renowned indigenous Bini historian, Chief Jacob Uwadiae Egharevba:

The aspects of his accounts of Bini history which does not go down well with the 1970s revisionists are ...... wait for it ...... cheesy ...... Those that describe the undeniable primacy of Ile-Ife and its supremacy over Benin kingdom among others.

The next logical question to ask then becomes:

Why will Chief Egharevba (a Bini man, a Bini chief, a curator of the Benin Museum, and a consultant on Benin traditions whose knowledge of Benin history, laws and customs was used in Native Court cases) come up with (or accept) accounts which he knows to be "false" and which "demeans" his own heritage??
---- Read up on what is known as the Criterion of Embarrassment.

The answer is obvious though:

This illustrious Bini historian was simply collecting accounts of Bini history, as well as the Ife connection, from Bini informants such as the Esekhure, the Ihogbe, et al. (whom he listed and referenced in his works). He collected them into writing for posterity regardless of how uncomfortable some of the accounts may have made him feel. For example:

(i) That certain late Obas of Benin have their heads exhumed and buried in Ife.

(ii) That the Edo Ekaladerhan is an entirely different person from the Yoruba Oduduwa or Oranmiyan. And so forth.

Other interesting information to consider about the so-called Bini "scholars" who disagreed with Egharevba on the Ife connection are as follows:

(i) The so-called Bini "scholars" (namely: S. B. Omoregie; Edun Akenzua; D. U. Edebiri; and Air Iyare) who FIRST came up with the "Ekaladerhan is Oduduwa/Oranmiyan" theory did so at different times during the early 1970s; whereas Chief Egharevba collected his accounts of Benin history in as far back as the early 1930s. Whose account then is closer to the sources, Chief Egharevba's or the revisionists'??

(ii) More importantly is the fact that these so-called Bini "scholars" are actually no scholar or historian, but amateur revisionists.

And as is to be expected in their amateurish "historical works", no attempt is made to cite the sources of their strange information, nor did they make any attempt to name any informant.

(iii) Like I have demonstrated earlier, their revisionist attempt has be unanimously debunked, time and time again, and forgotten by historians of Bini history worth the name all over the world.

(iv) In sum, it is not for amateurs to decide who is an authoritative historian and who is not. No, that is the job of experts and scholars. And as I have once shown in the words of Dr. R. E. Bradbury, Chief J. U. Egharevba's account of Bini history was collected:

"from well selected informants who had grown to maturity before 1897. The memories which they retained of past traditions had not had much time to be overlaid and distorted by pressing interests and the new problems of the modern world."

Elsewhere Dr. R. E. Bradbury, writes in relation to Chief Egharevba's work that it:

"has become something of a classic, known and relied upon not only in Nigeria, but by scholars all over the world, (as) ... a valuable, indeed an indispensable, pioneering work."

cc:
cbrass
macof
Olu317
rhektor
seunmsg
geosegun
Obalufon

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by TAO11(f): 5:07am On Jan 06, 2020
Continuation below:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by gregyboy(m): 6:09am On Jan 06, 2020
TAO11:

Firstly, what do you mean by cunny, you dummy??

Secondly, you lied again (as expected) where you wrote that the Europeans' writings was not from the words of Bini authorities, but only from their actions that they observed. I wonder how this even make any case in your favor. But nevertheless a refutation of this lie is attached below.

Thirdly, regarding the bolded portion of your crossed-out rant, can you then quote the write ups that doesn't suit me which I often avoid?? What have you been waiting for?? That's the whole point of this exchange, isn't it??

Lastly, regarding the foremost and world-renowned indigenous Bini historian, Chief Jacob Uwadiae Egharevba --- The aspects of his accounts of Bini history which does not go down well with the 1970s revisionists are ...... wait for it ...... cheesy ...... Those that describe the undeniable primacy of Ile-Ife and its supremacy over Benin kingdom among others.

The next logical question to ask then becomes:

Why will Chief Egharevba (a Bini man, a Bini chief, a curator of the Benin Museum, and a consultant on Benin traditions whose knowledge of Benin history, laws and customs was used in Native Court cases) come up or accept accounts which he knows to be false and which demeans his own heritage?? ---- Read up on what is known as the Criterion of Embarrassment.

The answer is obvious though:

This illustrious Bini historian was simply collecting accounts of Bini history, as well as the Ife connection, from Bini informants such as the Esekhure, the Ihogbe, et al. (whom he listed and referenced in his works). He collected them into writing for posterity regardless of how uncomfortable some of the accounts may have made him feel. For example:

(i) That the Edo Ekaladerhan is an entirely different person from the Yoruba Oduduwa or Oranmiyan.

(ii) That certain late Obas of Benin have their heads exhumed and buried in Ife, etc.

Other interesting information to consider about the so-called Bini "scholars" who disagreed with Egharevba on the Ife connection are as follows:

(i) The so-called Bini "scholars" (namely: S. B. Omoregie; Edun Akenzua; D. U. Edebiri; and Air Iyare) who FIRST came up with the Ekaladerhan is Oduduwa/Oranmiyan theory did so at different times during the early 1970s; whereas Chief Egharevba collected his accounts of Benin history in as far back as the early 1930s. Whose account then is closer to the sources, Chief Egharevba's or the revisionists'??

(ii) These so-called Bini "scholars" are actually no scholar or historian, but amateur revisionists with no formal training. And as is to be expected in their amateurish "historical works", no attempt is made to cite the sources of their strange information, nor did they make any attempt to name any informant.

(iii) Like I have demonstrated earlier, their revisionist attempt has be unanimously debunked, time and time again, and forgotten by historians of Bini history worth the name all over the world.

(iv) In sum, it is not for amateurs to decide who is an authoritative historian and who is not. No, that is the job of experts and scholars. And as I have once shown in the words of Dr. R. E. Bradbury, Chief J. U. Egharevba's account of Bini history was collected "from well selected informants who had grown to maturity before 1897. The memories which they retained of past traditions had not had much time to be overlaid and distorted by pressing interests and the new problems of the modern world."

Elsewhere Dr. R. E. Bradbury, writes in relation to Chief Egharevba's work that it "has become something of a classic, known and relied upon not only in Nigeria, but by scholars all over the world, (as) ... a valuable, indeed an indispensable, pioneering work."

cc: cbrass
macof
Olu317
rhektor
seunmsg
geosegun
Obalufon

I have debunk that screenshot from our previous argument but you still decide ti bring thst edited page ....

Share the link of the page so your fellow brothers can see is fake...

I will to also debunk it here again

First thing first share the link
Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by gregyboy(m): 6:15am On Jan 06, 2020
cbrass:

See lies o, after now, you will be abusing somebody for lying, imagine!!! Every Ibini person knows that Ibini is Yoruba word, even Ewuare 1 tried in vain to eradicate the name

Ile binu

Does it sound benin"

Ile ife on the otherhand absolutely sound Benin...

Ile( hide) ,nife( to succeed)
Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by TAO11(f): 6:25am On Jan 06, 2020
gregyboy:

I have debunk that screenshot from our previous argument but you still decide ti bring thst edited page ....

Share the link of the page so your fellow brothers can see is fake...

I will to also debunk it here again

First thing first share the link

Debunk? "Theriously"!? grin You probably have no clue what the word "debunk" means. cheesy

No, you didn't debunk nothing. cheesy

I remember clearly, you only complained about your own cluelessnes regarding how the internet works in verifying academic references, and that I should help you. grin
Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by TAO11(f): 6:33am On Jan 06, 2020
gregyboy:

Ile binu

Does it sound benin"

Ile ife absolutely dont sound Benin...

Shsharap!

It was Oranmiyan who changed your village's name from "Igodomigodo" to "Ubinu" which the Portuguese came ---- some 300 years later --- to pronounce as "Benin".

Otherwise, explain how the Europeans will suddenly ---- for strange reasons ---- call your village "Benin" instead of its actual name "Igodomigodo".

Your "logic" (if it may be called logic) is obviously leaky.
Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by gregyboy(m): 6:38am On Jan 06, 2020
TAO11:

Shsharap!

It was Oranmiyan who changed your village's name from "Igodomigodo" to "Ubinu" which the Portuguese came ---- some 300 years later --- to pronounce as "Benin".

Otherwise, explain how the Europeans will suddenly ---- for strange reasons ---- call your village "Benin" instead of its actual name "Igodomigodo".

Your logic is obviously leaky.

Nigga as i said earlier it is a Portuguese name and you admitted to the fact it is

Ile binu =does it sound benin i guess no

Portuguese could have coined the word on thier own from their own language

If i am to accept the word is a yoruba word then the binis were correct when they said oduduwa was their son
Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by gregyboy(m): 6:39am On Jan 06, 2020
TAO11:

Debunk? "Theriously"!? grin No, you didn't cheesy

You only complained about your cluelessnes regarding how the internet works in verifying academic references, and that I should help you. grin

Nigga post the link ...
Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by TAO11(f): 6:48am On Jan 06, 2020
gregyboy:

Nigga as i said earlier it is a Portuguese name and you admitted to the fact it is

Ile binu =does it sound benin i guess no

Portuguese could have coined the word on thier own from their own language

If i am to accept the word is a yoruba word then the binis were correct when they said oduduwa was their son

"tHe PoRtUgUeSe CoUlD hAvE cOiNed ThE wOrD oN tHeIr OwN fRoM tHeIr OwN lAnGuAgE." grin grin

Oh my goodnes! So I've been talking to a joke. cheesy grin

And Yes, Oranmiyan named your village "Ubinu" land, and added before leaving that only a child with some Edo blood can tame their savagery and backwardness.

He said this and left, leaving a Yoruba/Edo hybrid child behind to tame them.

If he --- Oduduwa --- was their son (although scholars of Bini history have shown this not to be the case), then that will make Oranmiyan also their son, and hence Oranmiyan will never have made such a statement along the lines of: only a child with some Edo heritage can tame them.

The fact that he made such statement and then left demonstrates that he wasn't one of them, hence neither was his father/ancestor, Oduduwa as historians have submitted.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by TAO11(f): 6:50am On Jan 06, 2020
gregyboy:

Nigga post the link ...

Nigga learn how to use common Google. The world is fast leaving you behind.

I have provided the full references to the statements I quoted. That's the onus on me.

You must be willing to do the job of typing those references (or the quotes) into what is known as Google, press the enter key, and watch some miracle happen. grin

Dont be afraid, try it. Google doesn't bite.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by cbrass(m): 7:05am On Jan 06, 2020
gregyboy:

Ile binu

Does it sound benin"

Ile ife absolutely dont sound Benin...

No, it sounds French grin

1 Like

Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by TAO11(f): 3:43pm On Jan 06, 2020
Olu317:
Send me your email and let me share some things with you.

Okay sir.

TAO.11@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by macof(m): 1:49am On Jan 07, 2020
TAO11:

Does the following look familiar to you?? grin cheesy

This false Bini forgery and propaganda of the 1970s (that Oduduwa was one and the same person as a certain wandering Ekaladerhan) have been debunked, again and again, by historians the world-over.

This myth has long been busted and have long been dismissed and forgotten in academia (as apocryphal, pseudo-historical, and unauthentic), except among Benin Nairalanders.

For example, the world-renowned scholar and expert of Benin History, Dmitri M. Bondarenko, of the Institute for African Studies in the Russian Academy of Sciences, writes and I quote here:

"Finally, there are the APOCRYPHAL versions of Benin oral tradition. ... (wherein) Ekaladerhan ... Some time later ... left Gwato for Ife."

D. M. Bondarenko continues:

"According to other versions of the kind, after leaving Gwato, Ekaladerhan founded another settlement, Ile-Ife and became her first ruler under the name of Oduduwa."

After having thoroughly combed through the different versions of this Apocryphal account, D. M. Bondarenko wrapped up his assessment of this account by noting that:

"However, a student of ancient Benin might feel obliged to REJECT the APOCRYPHAL versions without hesitation as deliberately UNAUTHENTIC. There are no their records made before the early 1970s ..."

This Apocryphal and unauthentic account which says that Ekalederhan became king in Ife are non-existent before the 1970s, he said.

He then puts the final nail in the coffin by submitting that:

"There is no doubt that the APOCRYPHAL versions are NOT AUTHENTIC and are not popular. Their authors are representatives of the nationalistically-minded part of the Bini intelligentsia who are seeking to ground the idea of an exceptional antiquity for their people and claims for its exclusive part in the socio political life of independent Nigeria ... Behind such PSEUDOHISTORICAL studies by intellectuals, as if harmless, one can make out serious problems for the country ..."

Refer for details to: 

Dmitri M. Bondarenko, "Advent of the Second (Oba) Dynasty: Another Assessment of a Benin History Key Point", History in Africa, Vol. 30 (2003), pp. 67 - 68, Cambridge University Press.

I'm surprised you know Dmitri Bondarenko
grin that guy has waves of written works on Bini history more than any Bini scholar actually

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by Olu317(m): 12:55pm On Jan 10, 2020
TAO11:

"tHe PoRtUgUeSe CoUlD hAvE cOiNed ThE wOrD oN tHeIr OwN fRoM tHeIr OwN lAnGuAgE." grin grin

Oh my goodnes! So I've been talking to a joke. cheesy grin

And Yes, Oranmiyan named your village "Ubinu" land, and added before leaving that only a child with some Edo blood can tame their savagery and backwardness.

He said this and left, leaving a Yoruba/Edo hybrid child behind to tame them.

If he --- Oduduwa --- was their son (although scholars of Bini history have shown this not to be the case), then that will make Oranmiyan also their son, and hence Oranmiyan will never have made such a statement along the lines of: only a child with some Edo heritage can tame them.

The fact that he made the statement and left demonstrates that he wasn't one of them, hence neither was his father/ancestor, Oduduwa as historians have submitted.
Awesome piece. I agree with it totally.

1 Like

Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by TAO11(f): 5:00pm On Jan 10, 2020
Olu317:
Awesome piece. I agree with it totally.

Thanks much.

And I received your email.

1 Like

Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by vonxe: 11:39pm On Jan 10, 2020
Wow!!!
Re: 12 True Facts You Have Never Heard About The Yoruba Nation by Olu317(m): 6:13am On Jan 11, 2020
TAO11:

Thanks much.

And I received your email.
Alright. Have a wonderful time

Cheers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Learning Yoruba (phonology) / Should We Continue Paying Bride Price? / Mixed Tribes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.